[0.90] KSP Interstellar port maintance thread

Boris-Barboris

@jihook:

Sorry to hear that, experienced something similar myself.

Since then, I copy paste my KSP folder before installing a major update, takes a few minutes in the background (and leads to having 3 or so KSP copies around), but if something does not work out, I can just switch back to the KSP backup.

When you recieve error message of missing parts, it's usualy an indication you didn't install something correctly. Regarding the AIM reactor, I haven't touched it. Exactly what version did you use, and did you also try older versions? Also, in the error log do you notice any exceptions?

It's not that the parts are missing. It's that they are no longer available for construction. The ships with the old reactors and gennys load in the VAB and SPH but I'm not allowed to launch because the parts are now 'experimental' and thus unavailable. This means in order to launch a ship I've already designed, I must first replace the parts preventing launch. This isn't that bad, just tedious and I don't want to have to do it. At least the ships load because the info for the old parts is still there. Again, thank you for this. I can just replace parts on a launch by launch basis. (Though could I at least suggest using the texture from the old school .65 sethlans reactor? The Akula is drab by comparison and is used for the Akula and Sethlans reactors. Why not use the tiny sethlans skin for the resizable sethlans?).

I fired up the game again and checked for error messages in the debug 'console' thingy. As of the version, it would be 0.7.10 as well as the related plugins current as of yesterday, the 23rd. I haven't patched with your update from today, yet. The version I was using before a few days ago, when I got to the end of the tech tree (the KSPI portion in CTT anyway, still have the karbonite stuff to finish unlocking) I built a warp ship, tried to warp and couldn't, which prompted my original post and your suggestion to make sure I was up to date. I updated, saw the reactor issue, updated again (wow you put a lot of work into this! so many updates...) and still can't get the one reactor to work. Everything else I've tested works as of .7.10. I understand you didn't touch the AIM reactors, but something is wonky and I'm unable to identify what I might have done wrong in installing (and reinstalling from scratch).

The only things related to KSPI that I saw in the error console were a bunch of warnings about RDTechnode or something like that in regards to not finding certain techs. I ignored most of that... then there was this:

[Log]: [KSP Interstellar]: MicrowaveSources initialized

[Log]: [KSPI] - InterstellarFissionMSRGC.MaximumThermalPower exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[Log]: [KSPI] - InterstellarFissionMSRGC.MaximumThermalPower exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Only exceptions I saw when I started a new sandbox game, built a craft that was basically a probe core, science unit (for antimatter production) a fission reactor and generator (3.75m gas core and equivalent genny), radiators, antimatter storage, and the AIM reactor. In previous versions it was not necessary to use fuel lines to connect the antimatter, being on the same stack always worked. I alsot weaked the reactor to start off with an amount of lqdHe3 so it had all it's fuels. I tried with both ktech solid state as well as direct conversion generators for the AIM reactor. The reactor would activate and deactivate, but used no resources, produced no thermal power or charged particles. Waste heat was distributed between the fission reactor, the radiators and the AIM reactor, so connections were there, the thing just wouldn't do anything and wouldn't display any fuel-deprived messages. I also tried shutting down the fission reactor and the attached generator. The reactor/genny combos were located on opposite poles of the single stack 'vessel' seperated by several parts. It just flat wont turn on.

To be honest I cannot remember the exact version I was using prior to updating yesterday and the day before. It would have been something from a week ago, friday or sat last week. Or maybe not. I know the ship I built that I keep talking about (S.S. Novara, pics on my steam profile, jhook777...) had the liquid cooling radiators and nitrogen tanks but the generator attached to the reactor is the 3.75m variety (not the 'large electric generator' variety). So, yeah... sorry I'm not used to posting on forums, when I encounter problems it's usually one someone else has already posted about....

@jihook:

Sorry to hear that, experienced something similar myself.

Since then, I copy paste my KSP folder before installing a major update, takes a few minutes in the background (and leads to having 3 or so KSP copies around), but if something does not work out, I can just switch back to the KSP backup.

Thank you for the empathy and proposed solution. Much appreciated. Regretfully, I am limited by hard drive space; I cut/paste KSP to a microSD card and cut/paste another game when I want to play it. Only room for one or two at a time. I make periodic backups of my save files and am pretty good about rescuing kerbals and recovering/scuttling ships if I know an update is going to invalidate a ship in flight. Please note, this isn't what happened. I didn't lose any ships. The only issue I'm actually experiencing is the issue with the AIM reactor. And, it's mind boggling because there's no reason there should be a problem with it.

@Shtirliz72

Yes.

Obvi.

Not crying, bellyaching. There's a difference :) We all have our communication styles. (and yeah, I've mentioned my save isn't broken and expressed gratitude)

The answer to your last question/suggestion should be obvious. I feel it need not be overstated.

The only things related to KSPI that I saw in the error console were a bunch of warnings about RDTechnode or something like that in regards to not finding certain techs. I ignored most of that... then there was this:

Weird, this has nothing to do with AIM reactor. But at least I seem to be able to replicate the problem. THe problem seem to arrise in the dll from 0.6.3 because in 0.6.2 it still works

Oh and by the way. Bugs should be reported in the KSPI Extended thread, not here.

Edit: found the problem, it will be fix in the next version along with tweakscale support.

Edited by FreeThinker

I am having a weird problem and have searching around for a while but haven't found any fixes.

I have a fresh copy of KSP installed, although this still happened with my main copy of ksp with a lot of mods installed

The problem is when I am editing in the VAB some KSP Interstellar items I hover over seem to enlarge infinitely, and I'm not sure why.

If anyone knows a fix to this that would be amazing. If any more information is needed just ask.

Thanks!

Edited by GenericPolarBear

I am having a weird problem and have searching around for a while but haven't found any fixes.

I have a fresh copy of KSP installed, although this still happened with my main copy of ksp with a lot of mods installed (http://i.imgur.com/Fo533ee.png)

The problem is when I am editing in the VAB some KSP Interstellar items I hover over seem to enlarge infinitely, and I'm not sure why.

Here is a video I recorded of the problem: http://youtu.be/kze4KwHqUFw

My hardware:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card

If anyone knows a fix to this that would be amazing. If any more information is needed just ask.

Thanks!

As far as I understand the issue, it is an install issue most likely. Perhaps try a manual install. If that fails, look at this fix, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63109-0-23-Modulefixer?p=1186964&viewfull=1#post1186964

Yeah... ModuleFixer just obscures legit issues. Which in turn causes support headaches.

Side note - FreeThinker, mind heading over to the CRP thread per our PM discussion (there's a link on the USI catalog in my signature)? We're doing a resource pass to get us all in line again (i.e. Nertea is moving to Lqd v. Liquid as the prefix, etc.) and we're also doing a density pass, some consolidation, etc. and we'd need your input / suggestions / agreement, and I expect there will be a series of compromises for all of us to do.

Game plan is to do this for 1.0 as there will be mods breaking to hell and back anyway ;)

The nice bit once the dust settles is that it would establish compatability between the USI mods, NFT, and KSPI as well as a few others.

We're doing a resource pass to get us all in line again (i.e. Nertea is moving to Lqd v. Liquid as the prefix, etc.) and we're also doing a density pass, some consolidation, etc. and we'd need your input / suggestions / agreement, and I expect there will be a series of compromises for all of us to do.

Great idea / news / plan! As long as the compromises do not consist only in nerfing KSPi (whatever fork has the most future) into the ground :)

It's not that the parts are missing. It's that they are no longer available for construction. The ships with the old reactors and gennys load in the VAB and SPH but I'm not allowed to launch because the parts are now 'experimental' and thus unavailable. This means in order to launch a ship I've already designed, I must first replace the parts preventing launch. This isn't that bad, just tedious and I don't want to have to do it. At least the ships load because the info for the old parts is still there. Again, thank you for this. I can just replace parts on a launch by launch basis. (Though could I at least suggest using the texture from the old school .65 sethlans reactor? The Akula is drab by comparison and is used for the Akula and Sethlans reactors. Why not use the tiny sethlans skin for the resizable sethlans?).

I fired up the game again and checked for error messages in the debug 'console' thingy. As of the version, it would be 0.7.10 as well as the related plugins current as of yesterday, the 23rd. I haven't patched with your update from today, yet. The version I was using before a few days ago, when I got to the end of the tech tree (the KSPI portion in CTT anyway, still have the karbonite stuff to finish unlocking) I built a warp ship, tried to warp and couldn't, which prompted my original post and your suggestion to make sure I was up to date. I updated, saw the reactor issue, updated again (wow you put a lot of work into this! so many updates...) and still can't get the one reactor to work. Everything else I've tested works as of .7.10. I understand you didn't touch the AIM reactors, but something is wonky and I'm unable to identify what I might have done wrong in installing (and reinstalling from scratch).

Only exceptions I saw when I started a new sandbox game, built a craft that was basically a probe core, science unit (for antimatter production) a fission reactor and generator (3.75m gas core and equivalent genny), radiators, antimatter storage, and the AIM reactor. In previous versions it was not necessary to use fuel lines to connect the antimatter, being on the same stack always worked. I alsot weaked the reactor to start off with an amount of lqdHe3 so it had all it's fuels. I tried with both ktech solid state as well as direct conversion generators for the AIM reactor. The reactor would activate and deactivate, but used no resources, produced no thermal power or charged particles. Waste heat was distributed between the fission reactor, the radiators and the AIM reactor, so connections were there, the thing just wouldn't do anything and wouldn't display any fuel-deprived messages. I also tried shutting down the fission reactor and the attached generator. The reactor/genny combos were located on opposite poles of the single stack 'vessel' seperated by several parts. It just flat wont turn on.

To be honest I cannot remember the exact version I was using prior to updating yesterday and the day before. It would have been something from a week ago, friday or sat last week. Or maybe not. I know the ship I built that I keep talking about (S.S. Novara, pics on my steam profile, jhook777...) had the liquid cooling radiators and nitrogen tanks but the generator attached to the reactor is the 3.75m variety (not the 'large electric generator' variety). So, yeah... sorry I'm not used to posting on forums, when I encounter problems it's usually one someone else has already posted about....

Thank you for the empathy and proposed solution. Much appreciated. Regretfully, I am limited by hard drive space; I cut/paste KSP to a microSD card and cut/paste another game when I want to play it. Only room for one or two at a time. I make periodic backups of my save files and am pretty good about rescuing kerbals and recovering/scuttling ships if I know an update is going to invalidate a ship in flight. Please note, this isn't what happened. I didn't lose any ships. The only issue I'm actually experiencing is the issue with the AIM reactor. And, it's mind boggling because there's no reason there should be a problem with it.

@Shtirliz72

Yes.

Obvi.

Not crying, bellyaching. There's a difference :) We all have our communication styles. (and yeah, I've mentioned my save isn't broken and expressed gratitude)

The answer to your last question/suggestion should be obvious. I feel it need not be overstated.

I fixed the problem and the solution can be downloaded from KerbalStuff

I hate having to come back and bring it up, again... but can I get help with my request? I'd like to tweak the amount of waste heat produced by solar panels so they cause a small probe that only has photovalic plats on it to generate maybe 25% total waste heat while on the day side of kerbin.

I hate having to come back and bring it up, again... but can I get help with my request? I'd like to tweak the amount of waste heat produced by solar panels so they cause a small probe that only has photovalic plats on it to generate maybe 25% total waste heat while on the day side of kerbin.

Well SolarPanelClampedHeating is not set a False by default and to help players with heat problems, I made some Basic radiators available with General Construction

Well SolarPanelClampedHeating is not set a False by default and to help players with heat problems, I made some Basic radiators available with General Construction

I know FreeThinker, I've got it set to true so they generate and store WH in themselves, what I want is to make them generate if faster, so that early game probes (before access to radiators without your mod) will eventually overheat and become useless and the best thing to do is take them out of the skies

I know FreeThinker, I've got it set to true so they generate and store WH in themselves, what I want is to make them generate if faster, so that early game probes (before access to radiators without your mod) will eventually overheat and become useless and the best thing to do is take them out of the skies

Faster? well what I could create is a modifier, which you would have to change yourself. I wouldn't be that hard, would that be enough for you. Another solution would be to reduce the amount of wasteheat that can be stored in the solar cells. You can actually already do this yourself with some MM script.

Edited by FreeThinker

Faster? well what I could create is a modifier, which you would have to change yourself. I wouldn't be that hard, would that be enough for you. Another solution would be to reduce the amount of wasteheat that can be stored in the solar cells. You can actually already do this yourself with some MM script.

a modifier to increase the rate would be preffered, jut decreasing the amount would give the same effect, but it would take a long time especially on a larger craft. If it wouldn't be to much of a trouble FreeThinker, could you make the modifier? I'm sure I can't be the only one out there not happy with their early game space probes overheating! :D:P

I submitted a pull request on Github to fix two problems in the solar sail module force calculation. One ensures the force is always away from the sun, so that the back side of the sail thrusts correctly. The other scales the force magnitude by the cosine-squared of the angle between the sail normal and sun vectors. One cosine term arises from there being less light intercepted as the sail turns away from the sun. The second is because the reflected light glances off the sail at higher angles, producing less thrust directly into it.

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/KSPInterstellar/pull/1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.