[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

Ok, that makes sense, I'll just take the monoprop out of my landers for the time being.

That rover (and other small parts) looks neat, although I was thinking of something even smaller (the size of a go-kart) that's just one piece that a Kerbal could carry around on their back and place down and get on when they want to drive, kind of like how they can quickly grab the EVA pack and go.

I don't think this is possible. You should try building one with Infernal Robotics and tweakscale.

There's even smaller deployable rover here. This is closest you can get to backpack rover.

I will take a look at it for a future version, it seems to require some testing for gameplay effect (for which I have limited time atm).

As the developer, I would also recommend waiting a while (how long a while is depends on my ability to find time to work on it...).

The current version *works* in that force is dependent on a psuedo resource, but I haven't got to a state where I'd consider it as a "release" (One, I still haven't even attempted to explore the variations the mechanic could create. Two, I doubt anyone else appreciates my logging dumps being generated every second. Three, it's still using average torque in a few places that don't make sense).

Edited by Crzyrndm

@SwGustav

That rover looks nice, I like how it folds flat and can be assembled without needing a structural pylon like the USI exploration rover. I'll give it a try and see if it will all fit in one container that a Kerbal can carry on their back.

I'll also try the tweakscale/IR idea, I remember seeing a few rovers on the rover megathread awhile back based on that concept but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Crzyrndm:

Thanks for the heads-up, I ll keep in on the radar, since that would really help with balancing between reaction wheels and RCS.

@Lord Aurelius:

I think the IR model rework just go a new foldable rover wheel set, though I have not been able to take a closer look.

Other than that, I think it is not possible to put separately steering wheels/legs within the same part, even with UbioZur Welding, but I m not sure on that.

The Kerbanov package contains a heavy duty command seat, maybe that helps.

A long shot: You can try writing a tweakscale config for the critter crawler from BahamutoDynamics and then weld a command seat to it and then try to make it KAS grabbable...

@Yemo

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at those and try to come up with highly portable/packable rover. If I come up with anything decent I'll post it up here.

Are those mods you mentioned (the extra IR parts and Kerbonov parts) on your backlog of potential additions to SETI?

@Lord Aurelius:

I consider the IR remodelling to be a part catalog at the moment, like B9Aerospace. Unfortunately, the parts do not follow a naming scheme (I proposed one, but nothing came of it, not enough interest from other users, I guess).

So I already use packs from time to time, but it needs to get trimmed a little (part count, naming) until I officially support it.

Kerbonov is supported from now on:

New Version 0.8.1

Extended Mod Support

FAR Jet craft updated to incorporate airbrakes from FAR/NEAR usability Package

Engine Ordering by Resources

• ION - Electricity + Xenon
  • LFI - Liquid Fuel + IntakeAir
  • LFO - Liquid Fuel + Oxidizer
  • Mono - Monoprop Engines
  • Nuclear - Nuclear Engines

New/Unused Parts/Textures, updated AutoPruner file

• New Textures for Procedural Decoupler: StockDecoupler, Separator, HazardStripes from SwGustav
  • New procedural HybridRocketBooster at basicRocketry based on concept by Lord Aurelius
  • Unused command capsule from Cargo Transportation Solutions
  • Unused RLA_Stockalike Engines, FuelTanks, RCS and Structure elements

RCS TechTree changes

• RCS tank and basic thrusters now @flightControl
  • Procedural RCS tank size restrictions adjusted
  • RCS thrusters rebalanced in terms of mass
  • For better Sat control/placements, esp. when using RemoteTech and the CC pack by nightingale

Command mass rebalances, for better compatibility with non-supported mods

• Mk1 pod: 1 ton instead of 1.1 tons
  • Mk1-1 pod: 2.2 tons instead of 2.4 tons
  • Mk1-2 pod: 3.2 tons instead of 3.4 tons
  • Mk1 LanderCan: 1 ton instead of 1.1 tons, 40 monoprop instead of 60
  • Mk2 LanderCan: 2 tons instead of 2.3 tons, 80 monoprop instead of 120, 80 KAS instead of 60
  • Mk1 Cockpits: 1 ton instead of 1.1 tons
  • Mk2 Cockpits: 2 tons instead of 2.2 tons
  • 3 Kerbal Cockpits: 2.8-3 tons instead of 3.2 tons
  • 4 Kerbal Cockpits: 3.8 tons instead of 4 tons
  • Cupola Module: 1.6 tons instead of 1.8 tons, weaker reaction wheel
  • Hitchhiker 4Kerbal: 3.0-3.2 tons instead of 2.5 tons

Other Rebalances & Adjustments

• EAS-1 External Command Seat much cheaper now at 400
  • Stayputnik a little lighter
  • KAX prop engines a little lighter
  • Earlier Nose Fairings @basicRocketry
  • Earlier KAX TurboProp @aerodynamicSystems
  • Universal Storage decouplers hidden, but not in Prune file, may come back if fixed
  • Sepratron to advRocketry
  • Modular Girder Segment and Adapter to generalConstruction
  • Radial Decoupler TT-70 to advRocketry
  • 6S 2m Service Compartment Tube to heavyRocketry

Minor Changes and Fixes

• Basic Jet Engine moved to Aerodynamics

Edited by Yemo

Hi there!

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for a great mod. The modding community for KSP is exceptional and SETI is a standout, truly excellent. You should be proud of such good work.

A couple of quick questions:

1. in the beginning you have procedural SRBs limited to 0.5m in diameter. It looks rather odd on the beginner probe. So, I changed it on my installation. Is that by design or is it a minor error? If it's intentional, couldn't you acheive a similar fuel limitation by limiting length, rather than width? That would look much nicer, yes?

2. Have you considered adjusting the business strategies? I find the beginning of the game is suitably challenging. But, as soon as I have the rep to get the unpaid interns, I start getting way too much science, even at 25% commitment. It seems to wreck the balance you're trying so hard to acheive.

Well, thanks, again. Time to grab your latest update and give it a spin!!

Oh god, waking up and seeing this perfect update, thank you Yemo!

Too bad I won't be able to play right now, the next 6 hours will be the longest..

Have you considered adjusting the business strategies? I find the beginning of the game is suitably challenging. But, as soon as I have the rep to get the unpaid interns, I start getting way too much science, even at 25% commitment. It seems to wreck the balance you're trying so hard to acheive.

Do you have Sane Strategies installed? It's one of the non-technical requirements.

Edit: DMagic Orbital Science has updated and removed spaces from folder names, will this cause problems with SETI?

Update: Nope, DMagic isn't broken.

Edited by SwGustav

Nice, another update.

One quick note: the OP with all the install instructions in the ALCOR thread is significantly out of date so some of the links/downloads are to old versions of mods, specifically for RPM and Scansat. You might want to provide some notes on how to install this with links to updated versions of the required mods.

Your OP also still lists RLA Stockalike in the development section.

Otherwise, looks like another amazing update.

2. Have you considered adjusting the business strategies? I find the beginning of the game is suitably challenging. But, as soon as I have the rep to get the unpaid interns, I start getting way too much science, even at 25% commitment. It seems to wreck the balance you're trying so hard to acheive.

That reminds me: Yemo (or others), any thoughts regarding the numbers used for Sane Strategies? (this being the only place where there's a semblance of balance across most of the board...)

I haven't had much game time post-0.90, the major change I'm worried about would be how funds tends to be a lot more restricted early game with building upgrades (which could be alleviated by reducing startup costs without shifting the lategame paradigm much).

Deadly Reentry's config temperatures seem to override everything else. I don't know module manager much, is this possible to get around this?

I did a test with stock install, pruned by SETI.prnl, and SXT. Here is a list of parts that miss textures in some way:

Command Pods

JKSS Probe Core

SC-XL10 Remote Guidance Unit

Fuel Tanks

Boconok-9 Radial Fuel Tank and Heat Radiator

Mk1 LFO Barrel

OX-4 Fuel Tank

XX-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank [Gold]

XX-32 Light Fuel Tank

Engines

3.75m Stage 3 Engine

KO-55 'Continental'

Rockomax PALM-X-30

Control

Larger Airbrake

Orbital Manoeuvering System

Structural

6-Way Hub

90' Turn

Aircraft Fuselage

TVR-1600XXL Stack Quad-Adapter

XX-MTV Open Four-way

XX-MTV Partial Super Structure

XX-MTV Partial Super Structure [small]

XX-MTV Structural Super Structure.

Aerodynamics

Conformal Rocket Cone Mk3

Elevon 0-A

Elevon 0-B

Elevon Mk2

Elevon Mk3

Large Wing

Mk0 Small Modular Wing

Mk0B Small Modular Wing

Very Large Wing

Wing Connector Rounded Tip

Utility

CANIOT-7 Crew Cabin

Inflatable Airbag

Small Inflatable Airbag

Kn-225 Loading Ramp

This list may or may not be full. I might have missed something, because I didn't closely inspect every single part.

Fun Fact 1: White textures are the most missing.

Fun Fact 2: Aerodynamics has the biggest amount of broken parts.

Here's hoping it will be helpful to you.. somehow. :P

Note: If you ever implement full SXT, could one of the N-1 decouplers be kept? (it's tweakscalable) Its form is hard to replicate with struts (result is also ugly). Maybe keep fuel tanks as well, engines are made with those tanks in mind.

I think second post should be updated with new screenshots. What do you say? & Here are new entries for Unused Parts:

KAX/Parts - "KAX_medFuselage" and "KAX_medJetFuel"

ModsByTal/Parts/Command - the whole folder

RLA_Stockalike/Parts/Engine - solid_m_upper, solid_s_srbs, solid_s_upper

RLA_Stockalike/Parts/FuelTank - the whole folder

RLA_Stockalike/Parts/Structural - everything EXCEPT "ml_frames" and "sm_radialextend"

SH_mods/Parts - "SH_RATO"

Suggestion 1: Cool stockalike greenhouse for Hydroponics tech

Suggestion 2: Move RLA Stockalike LV-T5 engine to Advanced Rocketry & move MPR-1 + MPR-1R to Flight Control (where RCS is)

Edited by SwGustav

Nice, another update.

One quick note: the OP with all the install instructions in the ALCOR thread is significantly out of date so some of the links/downloads are to old versions of mods, specifically for RPM and Scansat. You might want to provide some notes on how to install this with links to updated versions of the required mods.

Your OP also still lists RLA Stockalike in the development section.

Otherwise, looks like another amazing update.

Thank you,

I have updated the OP and the KerbalStuff page with regards to contributions, dev section and the Scansat link. Not sure about the ALCOR IVA, I put it in last minute and only the part, not the IVA. I used the IVA in a previous version, but I m not sure I have the time to dig out the dependencies and test them at the moment. So I just put a warning in the OP.

That reminds me: Yemo (or others), any thoughts regarding the numbers used for Sane Strategies? (this being the only place where there's a semblance of balance across most of the board...)

I haven't had much game time post-0.90, the major change I'm worried about would be how funds tends to be a lot more restricted early game with building upgrades (which could be alleviated by reducing startup costs without shifting the lategame paradigm much).

Unfortunately I havent had much in game time either and when I am in game, I tend to only fly specific missions for testing or the lulz.

So I do not have input for the epic career game, for which strategies play a role, since I just havent played that in 0.90.

I started, became very annoyed with the "balance"/science spam and began to make the SETI-BalanceMod...

Deadly Reentry's config temperatures seem to override everything else. I don't know module manager much, is this possible to get around this?

I did a test with stock install, pruned by SETI.prnl, and SXT. Here is a list of parts that miss textures in some way:

Command Pods

JKSS Probe Core

SC-XL10 Remote Guidance Unit

Fuel Tanks

Boconok-9 Radial Fuel Tank and Heat Radiator

Mk1 LFO Barrel

OX-4 Fuel Tank

XX-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank [Gold]

XX-32 Light Fuel Tank

Engines

3.75m Stage 3 Engine

KO-55 'Continental'

Rockomax PALM-X-30

Control

Larger Airbrake

Orbital Manoeuvering System

Structural

6-Way Hub

90' Turn

Aircraft Fuselage

TVR-1600XXL Stack Quad-Adapter

XX-MTV Open Four-way

XX-MTV Partial Super Structure

XX-MTV Partial Super Structure [small]

XX-MTV Structural Super Structure.

Aerodynamics

Conformal Rocket Cone Mk3

Elevon 0-A

Elevon 0-B

Elevon Mk2

Elevon Mk3

Large Wing

Mk0 Small Modular Wing

Mk0B Small Modular Wing

Very Large Wing

Wing Connector Rounded Tip

Utility

CANIOT-7 Crew Cabin

Inflatable Airbag

Small Inflatable Airbag

Kn-225 Loading Ramp

This list may or may not be full. I might have missed something, because I didn't closely inspect every single part.

Fun Fact 1: White textures are the most missing.

Fun Fact 2: Aerodynamics has the biggest amount of broken parts.

Here's hoping it will be helpful to you.. somehow. :P

Note: If you ever implement full SXT, could one of the N-1 decouplers be kept? (it's tweakscalable) Its form is hard to replicate with struts (result is also ugly). Maybe keep fuel tanks as well, engines are made with those tanks in mind.

I think second post should be updated with new screenshots. What do you say? & Here are new entries for Unused Parts:

KAX/Parts - "KAX_medFuselage" and "KAX_medJetFuel"

ModsByTal/Parts/Command - the whole folder

RLA_Stockalike/Parts/Engine - solid_m_upper, solid_s_srbs, solid_s_upper

RLA_Stockalike/Parts/FuelTank - the whole folder

RLA_Stockalike/Parts/Structural - everything EXCEPT "ml_frames" and "sm_radialextend"

SH_mods/Parts - "SH_RATO"

Suggestion 1: Cool stockalike greenhouse for Hydroponics tech

Suggestion 2: Move RLA Stockalike LV-T5 engine to Advanced Rocketry & move MPR-1 + MPR-1R to Flight Control (where RCS is)

Thank you for the lists!

SXT compatibility looks more manageable than I thought, since SETI would throw out most of the aero and fuel tank stuff anyway.

Will keep an eye out for the N-1 Decoupler.

I will update the second post right away, thank you very much!

I intended to update the second post with the craft from 0.8.0, until I realised that the airbrakes would be nice too.

So 0.8.1 FAR craft should be "final" enough to update the post. Most likely a gradual update adding stuff from time to time.

The collage could use an update as well, SETI came a long way since then.

I put the greenhouse on the list, though at the moment, I m intrigued by the MCM progress as a priority...

Will take a look at the engines, though I wanted to keep FlightControl relatively "clean", since that is a tech node most likely to receive mod parts like early aircraft cockpits.

And it already has the Place Anywhere RCS, while the MPRs use the normal throttle instead of the translation.

I believe the issue with DRE is the ridiculous max temp in 1 of the configs for it. It take any temp above that and halves it.

Hm, I ll take a look in the future. Not sure how much time to invest on DRE and heat, 1.0 will change that anyway.

Hi there!

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for a great mod. The modding community for KSP is exceptional and SETI is a standout, truly excellent. You should be proud of such good work.

A couple of quick questions:

1. in the beginning you have procedural SRBs limited to 0.5m in diameter. It looks rather odd on the beginner probe. So, I changed it on my installation. Is that by design or is it a minor error? If it's intentional, couldn't you acheive a similar fuel limitation by limiting length, rather than width? That would look much nicer, yes?

Well, thanks, again. Time to grab your latest update and give it a spin!!

Thank you!

1. As far as I know, I can not restrict the length of the procedural SRBs below 2.5m (there seems to be some kind of restriction according to a dev comment in the file, not sure what it breaks).

2. Besides using SaneStrategies, I havent tinkered with the strategies at all. That would require quite some testing in a long running career game, for which I do not find the time at the moment. For me it is either playing a long career, or adding/testing/balancing parts for the foreseeable future.

Well, flight control has a variety of RCS thrusters and MPRs are thrusters as well, just throttleable. Fuel Systems is a bit messy IMHO. Moving LV-T5 grants you a satellite launcher kit at Advanced Rocketry.

I thought I'd see some 0.625 engines earlier, because you start with small procedural tanks and gradually increase. It's up to you though.

Edit: Gonna finally start a fresh career

Edited by SwGustav

Well, flight control has a variety of RCS thrusters and MPRs are thrusters as well, just throttleable. Fuel Systems is a bit messy IMHO. Moving LV-T5 grants you a satellite launcher kit at Advanced Rocketry.

I thought I'd see some 0.625 engines earlier, because you start with small procedural tanks and gradually increase. It's up to you though.

Edit: Gonna finally start a fresh career

I just took a quick look at the Stock Part Revamp (without Texture Replacer, of course, buggy mess...).

It does not look like too much trouble for integration. Some stuff will be redundant. But I do not really care at the moment, if there are 2 LV-909 (with different textures) around, or two 45° thrusters blocks...

I rearranged the monoprop stuff a little, balancing your wish for earlier throttle and my wish to keep flightControl relatively clean.

About the LV-T5, since I made the "Kingfisher" a monoprop engine (better fit with artwork), we now lack a stack liquid engine between 5 and 30 thrust.

The easiest way would be, to just clone the LV-T5 into a LV-T15 and put both of them at advRocketry, would that be ok?

So I m really considering a minor update tomorrow or so, including the changes above and a quick & possibly dirty inclusion of Ven's Stock Part Revamp (since I m still very familiar with the RLA inclusion I know precisely where to put most stuff without much thinking about it).

Edited by Yemo

Huh. I started Moderate career with Normal rewards, and got 5 techs with additional science to spare in just 2 launches. BUt in previous fully Moderate career it took much more. I guess a 10% science reduction does make a difference.

I'll have to freeze it yet again and start over in near future due to these tech tree tweaks coming, also RemoteTech contracts being split up and stuff.

IMO a liquid fuel 15 thrust clone of MPR-5 (or maybe resized MPR-45) fits better than a clone of LV-T5. I even made a small comparison. But I'm okay with LV-T15.

I'll gladly test the Ven's when you add it.

Another random thing I just noticed:

Tweakscale lets me rescale command pods, I just rescaled the Mk1-2 pod to 1.25m and it now weighs about .6 tons but still holds 3 Kerbals and looks silly with a Kerbal hanging off the side of it. As much fun as this is, it outright breaks the pod weight balance (not to mention the physics of cramming 3 Kerbals into less space than the Mk1 pod). Is it possible to add a flag to a part file to tell tweakscale that the part isn't scalable?

Edit: The KAX Horzion cockpit is even more ridiculous, it goes down to .625m scale with no loss in Kerbal capacity.

Edited by Lord Aurelius

Huh. I started Moderate career with Normal rewards, and got 5 techs with additional science to spare in just 2 launches. BUt in previous fully Moderate career it took much more. I guess a 10% science reduction does make a difference.

I'll have to freeze it yet again and start over in near future due to these tech tree tweaks coming, also RemoteTech contracts being split up and stuff.

IMO a liquid fuel 15 thrust clone of MPR-5 (or maybe resized MPR-45) fits better than a clone of LV-T5. I even made a small comparison. But I'm okay with LV-T15.

I'll gladly test the Ven's when you add it.

For a grand career game I would recommend "moderate" + 60% science/funds/reputation rewards. Since the rewards slider makes the game more "challenging", while the penalties slider just makes it more grindy, in general.

I wanted to keep the designs of mono and liquid separate. Mono gets the grey and grey + blue colors, while liquid gets the grey + yellow/orange colors. The sizes/nozzles won't fit anyway at the moment.

I want to keep the next update small and simple, so probably tomorrow.

Another random thing I just noticed:

Tweakscale lets me rescale command pods, I just rescaled the Mk1-2 pod to 1.25m and it now weighs about .6 tons but still holds 3 Kerbals and looks silly with a Kerbal hanging off the side of it. As much fun as this is, it outright breaks the pod weight balance (not to mention the physics of cramming 3 Kerbals into less space than the Mk1 pod). Is it possible to add a flag to a part file to tell tweakscale that the part isn't scalable?

Not sure about the TweakScale issue, some command parts seem to be scaleable, other are not.

I might be able to delete the TweakScale MODULE after it is added. Thanks for the report.

This is amazing. Thanks for taking, what looks like, a ton of your free time to make this and continue to develop it.

We've been looking for something interesting to stream with KSP lately. In the past, I've made "mod packs" that were basically "I want this, and this and this and this...", resulting in many a RAM ceiling smash and then a trim down. It was always just a mess of parts and such that looked cool.

This looks refreshing enough that I think we'll need to give it a try!

Main main question or concern is with adding things. I assume that it's fine to add whatever information or graphics mods that we like, and not really ruin anything. My main concern is adding things that will break the spirit or purpose of SETI, especially with anything that adds parts. The one I've fallen in love with lately is the Tantares/Tanteres Launchers mods. Since they're pretty specific, it turns away a bit from the procedural/less clutter purpose. Also, it doesn't look like it's been tweaked specifically for CTT, so will I end up with a bunch of parts that seem out of place with everything else? Again, if I break the spirit or purpose of the balance, what's the point in having it?

I can't wait for OKS/MKS and EPL integration. That's stuff I've wanted to get deeper into but haven't had the chance. Anyway, again, thanks for everything you and others do on this!

Is there any mod that uses the hydroponics node by CTT?

MCM/MKS/OKS uses the node as far as I know. They are not supported at the moment, though with the recent 0.4.4 of MCM, that might change next week. I m not too happy with the CTT in that branch, but further down the line you get some nice TAC life support recyclers...

This is amazing. Thanks for taking, what looks like, a ton of your free time to make this and continue to develop it.

We've been looking for something interesting to stream with KSP lately. In the past, I've made "mod packs" that were basically "I want this, and this and this and this...", resulting in many a RAM ceiling smash and then a trim down. It was always just a mess of parts and such that looked cool.

This looks refreshing enough that I think we'll need to give it a try!

Main main question or concern is with adding things. I assume that it's fine to add whatever information or graphics mods that we like, and not really ruin anything. My main concern is adding things that will break the spirit or purpose of SETI, especially with anything that adds parts. The one I've fallen in love with lately is the Tantares/Tanteres Launchers mods. Since they're pretty specific, it turns away a bit from the procedural/less clutter purpose. Also, it doesn't look like it's been tweaked specifically for CTT, so will I end up with a bunch of parts that seem out of place with everything else? Again, if I break the spirit or purpose of the balance, what's the point in having it?

I can't wait for OKS/MKS and EPL integration. That's stuff I've wanted to get deeper into but haven't had the chance. Anyway, again, thanks for everything you and others do on this!

You are welcome.

The SETI supported mods will approach the RAM limit as well, given the current progress and the stuff planned for the future. The pruning will only help a little in that regard. However finding stuff in the assembly buildings is much easier now.

Be sure to link your stream in this thread, if you try it out. I m relatively busy in rl at the moment and can only mod in the odd hours in between, but maybe one of those odd hours is during your stream time and I can answer questions in the chat.

The CTT includes the whole stock tech tree, so every mod for stock should appear there as well.

There are however 2 problems, especially with the "realism" based parts packs.

1. SETI starts with probes, while somehow those part packs often put manned capsules at the start like stock does. Which of course breaks the early game.

2. The realism part packs orient themselves around some real values. So eg in Tantares you have a 1.3ton capsule which can accomodate 2 Kerbals and a 1.9 ton capsule for only one Kerbal. And they have only miniscule ingame differences in terms of modules/capabilities. So they follow real life weight differences without providing real life capability differences which would make up for that...

Thus they only work for roleplaying, while SETI tries to maintain at least some stats balancing.

I recommend trying SETI with just the supported mods (and the odd additions, if you need them for your gameplay, like Kerbal Construction Time, B9Aerospace stuff, InfernalRobotics model reworks and so on), but leaving those "realism" packs for another time. At least until you have a feeling for the intended "balance".

With all the mods listed in the OP and the addition tomorrow, the core of the tree should be pretty much fleshed out.

And then the sides get more attention, like MCM/MKS/OKS and so on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.