What is the process of becoming a mod?

michaelsteele3

In the past if there has been a need for more moderators we invite people to submit an application.

Kasper was an exception though, as he needed to drink 5 pints of milk in 60 seconds to make it onto the team.

In the past if there has been a need for more moderators we invite people to submit an application.

Kasper was an exception though, as he needed to drink 5 pints of milk in 60 seconds to make it onto the team.

Only five? I had to chug down seven here :(

But yes, theres two ways I remember it happen, either through application forms when mods where needed in specific areas. Else, when we just needed more people in a general matter, we kinda would consult each other and usually we all agreed fairly easily on a bunch of people who were active enough, old enough (you need to be at least 18), and nice enough to be mods. That's how most of them are picked, from the pool of the good forum users that are around.

I don't even like milk... :)

Nowadays keep an eye out for potential new moderators from active members who post good quality posts. Be polite, helpful and we may call on you one day. Alternatively, we're currently looking for people who speak either French, Polish or Russian natively to join the moderator ranks.

Edited by KasperVld

Only five? I had to chug down seven here :(
I don't even like milk... :)

Milk? Pfft. You guys had it easy - I was asked to put on the most fabulous looking outfit I could find, strike awesome poses and re-enact scenes from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, in front of a panel of senior moderators over Skype.

My own experiences aside, what the others have said are spot on - ideal moderators are:

- 18 years and over

- active contributors to the community (by that we mean authoring add-ons and/or helping people resolve problems with their game, not simply posting frequently in off-topic forums)

- have a reputation of civil and restrained posting

- those who work well with others

- prior experience moderating other forums is also desirable, as is fluency in non-English languages and being situated in time zones where other moderators would otherwise be away from the forums.

And to answer your original question, no, we don't look at reputation at all. We've not found it to be a good indicator of the level-headedness of a user, which is really important for moderators to have.

Also, you guys had to drink milk? Ha, I hope you don't mind additional hip fractures! (Milk isn't good for you; they lied to you, sorry.)

I don't really know what went on behind the scenes during my own selection, but I often got the feeling Damion Rayne (he was the community manager here for a while, post-Skunky and pre-Rowsdower, IIRC) was testing me on something or other. That was just him, though. I'm pretty sure the main reason I got selected for a moderator position was because a) I was always here, and B) I was pretty much always helping out in the Support forums.

Holy Jool, you have become a moderator. This combination of your power, your rep and your kingly avatar gives me no choice but to bow.

You automatically become a moderator when you hit 6000 posts, it's a bug in vBulletin. I'm sure Kasper will revoke it shortly. :P

For those without a sense of humor, the above was a joke.

Just stop saying "No" when they ask you to be a moderator.

Congratulations!! Your promotion is well deserved. I hope your new found rank doesn't take away from your other recreational duties on the forum. Your posts are always great!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.