They said it couldn't be done! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Runescope

They called me CRAZY to try! They said I was MAD! Well, I'll show them, I'll show them ALL!

So ... here's the thing I want to show you. :D

Yes, that is a working monorail. :D It doesn't go fast, about 10m/sec (36km/hr or 22 Miles/hr) at maximum speed. Well, not exactly. It WILL go faster, but anything faster than 10m/sec and it doesn't corner well. You can see that at about the 3Min mark. lol

I'd like to find a way to get a longer straight stretch so I can open up the throttle. Right now the entire track is assembled in the SPH. I've experimented with constructing a track section by section, but they keep blowing up for some reason as I link them together.

To keep the part count down, I've used the UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued Mod to make each track section. I ended up having to make a right-curving track and a left curving track because of how root parts attach. But it works fairly well.

Suggestion 1: IIRC, struts have no collision, so you could reinforce the rollers.

Suggestion 2: Would the tan rover wheels also be doable as a means of locomotion? Perhaps if you mounted them to press against the underside of the track you dould do it that way?

I now feel compelled to build one of these on minmus to make a beeline between colonies. Anyone know how much of a freakout the game would have if I made a track several kilometers long? (using hangar extender, I'm looking at the length of the runway, which is what, 6km?)

Suggestion 1: IIRC, struts have no collision, so you could reinforce the rollers.

Suggestion 2: Would the tan rover wheels also be doable as a means of locomotion? Perhaps if you mounted them to press against the underside of the track you dould do it that way?

I now feel compelled to build one of these on minmus to make a beeline between colonies. Anyone know how much of a freakout the game would have if I made a track several kilometers long? (using hangar extender, I'm looking at the length of the runway, which is what, 6km?)

I'll give the struts a try, but as for the tan rover wheels, they don't get any traction on the parts. They were the first wheels I tried when building this. :D

If you get a 6km one to work anywhere, I want to see that!

Awesome work!

I have an idea though, what if you made track sections 1 km long and put them close enough to each other (but still not connected) but close enough so that your tram could hop across the gap in between? That might let you get round the loading limit and have a monorail of unlimited length.

Not the first one, but it's been a while:

The really interesting work was on building railways out of statics. I'm hopeful Kerbal Konstructs makes it to a stage we can have true railway tracks covering long distances.

Awesome work!

I have an idea though, what if you made track sections 1 km long and put them close enough to each other (but still not connected) but close enough so that your tram could hop across the gap in between? That might let you get round the loading limit and have a monorail of unlimited length.

I actually did that on one iteration of my design. Things bounced all over the place :D

- - - Updated - - -

You could try to camber the corners as well, to increase turning speed. Think tilt monorail.

THAT ... is a dang good idea. Though tricky to implement it would solve certain problems of inertia.

- - - Updated - - -

Not the first one, but it's been a while:

The really interesting work was on building railways out of statics. I'm hopeful Kerbal Konstructs makes it to a stage we can have true railway tracks covering long distances.

I will have to investigate Kerbal Konstructs, see if I can coax a useable design out of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.