Hellblazer's Wallpaper Factory

hellblazer

And I know I have a serious antialising problem playing under OpenGl, but then again, I rarely if ever have out of memory bugs after playing for hours!

Rune, what kind of graphics card do you have? There's a way around the anti-aliasing issues with OpenGL. I play with OpenGL and with anti-aliasing. You have to go to Nvidia's control panel (probably a similar one for AMD) and find programs, then find KSP and enable anti-aliasing and override the settings. I use 4x MSAA. :)

Rune, what kind of graphics card do you have? There's a way around the anti-aliasing issues with OpenGL. I play with OpenGL and with anti-aliasing. You have to go to Nvidia's control panel (probably a similar one for AMD) and find programs, then find KSP and enable anti-aliasing and override the settings. I use 4x MSAA. :)

Why do you guys use openGl and not direct X?

Edited by Majorjim

Why do you guys use openGl and not direct X?

Good question, I probably shouldn't be using OpenGL on my main KSP install since memory is fine there. :) I used to be able to run DX11 mode but for some reason I get weird black spots on the KSC buildings and parts turn pink. I prefer DX11 mode but it stopped working and I have no idea why. I use OpenGL then for my main KSP install and my RSS install.

Good question, I probably shouldn't be using OpenGL on my main KSP install since memory is fine there. :) I used to be able to run DX11 mode but for some reason I get weird black spots on the KSC buildings and parts turn pink. I prefer DX11 mode but it stopped working and I have no idea why. I use OpenGL then for my main KSP install and my RSS install.

Hmm, strange. Is there a performance difference between them? ie, frame rate for high part counts.

Hmm, strange. Is there a performance difference between them? ie, frame rate for high part counts.

I don't think so, as far as I know. Which isn't much :P I think it mainly helps with reducing RAM usage. I've heard that RAM usage can drop in half in OpenGL or DX11 mode.

Oh, and DX11 mode is different from the default. What do you use? I can see how better frame rates for high part counts would be useful. I was just clarifying because because DX11 mode is a user enabled thing, in case I confused anyone.

That sounds like something I should definitely look into, thanks! My 9800GT is certainly showing its age, but it should still make KSP sing arias.

Hey man. Why do you play under OpenGl? Is the regular windows KSP under directX?

Mostly, because I don't get memory crashes that way. OpenGl frees up a lot of RAM, on the order of one or two Gb, so even though my game is as leaky as everybody else's, I can get by with hours of gameplay before I approach the 3.5Gb red line, even with a lot of visual mods installed (pretty much no added parts, though, and ATM going full blast). I usually start the game at about 1.5 gigs (!), so it has a lot of room to grow. I mean, I could play restarting every half hour... but if one of those memory crashes corrupted my career savefile (which has been alive and kicking for three or four versions now), I think I would kill someone ^^'. In fact, I suspect I take horrible framerate hits when the reentry effects appear under OpenGl... but so far, no memory crashes unless I lave the game running for more than about five hours, which is a refreshing change.

I would think you starting a thread in the discussion area would be a better place to trade ideas. :D

Sorry, just the quick very directed answer! Promise not to clout your thread further, just wanted to answer Jim and thank Woopert.

Rune. This kind of tips are very hard to come by sometimes, and may help a lot of people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.