For the Fairest: Prettiest Spaceplane Challenge

Well I guess I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

Meet the Star Hawk

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I designed this just now for this thread, I've never really designed a plane specifically to look good before, but here it is. Of course it also flies like a dream, not hard to control even without sas. It gets to space with 3000 dV to spare, plenty for hoping around the solar system!

As for my vote, that's hard, this thread is full of awesome crafts.

I guess on looks alone, I'm going with Majorjim's Eagle.

But I also have to say RayGunDan's Cormorant Is the pretiest Heavy lifter I've ever seen! And Drewscriver's Alaflux is an engineering masterpiece.

Edited by CocoDaPuf

Vote tally so far:

Major Jim: 11

Overfloater: 4

Wanderfound: 2

Roguemason: 2

Chronosheep: 1

Upsilon: 1

Volcanix: 1

Reistlyn: 1

Whistlehead: 1

Close it off at the end of the month? Or would y'all like something sooner?

You mind waiting till the end of March? I've got a contender I need to complete.

• 2 weeks later...

L5DeRci.png

IW0Q5uL.png

9mkUp04.png

ljsJUG2.png

YtWTeDt.png

OXk05uJ.png

and then I made this bigger brother...

and not to forget the Proton base model:

and of course nobody can forget the SSI Ion, the Tesla Roadster of the skies:

could never decide which one to submit, but now that the challenge appears over, I'd thought I'd crash the after-party with this Duna capable VTOL SSTO, the Proton H :P

Edited by inigma

Switchblade SSTO concept (Work in Progress) based on Northrop's patent for forward swept variable geometry wing design, prolifically featured in the movie Stealth as the fictional F/A-37 Talon.

This huge monster of a spaceplane can also operate in Ekranoplan ocean-skimming mode and perform VTOL operations once rocket fuel is expended. The maximum takeoff weight of this craft is over 71 tons and the atmospheric ops configuration is about 42 tons.

A small scale tech demonstrator is concurrently testing propulsive subsystems for the Switchblade, dubbed the Hyper V or GSLV (GhettoSpike Launch Vehicle) Mod 0.

Switchblade SSTO concept (Work in Progress) based on Northrop's patent for forward swept variable geometry wing design, prolifically featured in the movie Stealth as the fictional F/A-37 Talon.

This huge monster of a spaceplane can also operate in Ekranoplan ocean-skimming mode and perform VTOL operations once rocket fuel is expended. The maximum takeoff weight of this craft is over 71 tons and the atmospheric ops configuration is about 42 tons.

http://imgur.com/a/LXqIQ

A small scale tech demonstrator is concurrently testing propulsive subsystems for the Switchblade, dubbed the Hyper V or GSLV (GhettoSpike Launch Vehicle) Mod 0.

http://imgur.com/a/qqX4z

Interesting craft you got there man. But this challenge is for stock craft only. It states this in the first post.

You mind waiting till the end of March? I've got a contender I need to complete.

Everybody okay with an end-of-March deadline? Someone's going to have to come up with something fairly flashy if they want to beat MajorJim...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.