[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

12 hours ago, Laguna said:

@NecroBones, deleting the MM cache didn't do anything; in fact, I've never noticed it loading anything from the cache, all the patches go through the full loading sequence.

OK, yeah then it's probably invalidating the cache as it should. I wasn't sure when Sarbian added that capability. I started deleting the cache automatically for my mod testing quite a long time ago, back when it was throwing off my tests pretty frequently.

Anyway, at this point we probably need to look at your KSP.log to see what's going on. Since I don't have a view into how it's working on your side, I'm out of general suggestions and can't get more specific. :)

4 hours ago, NecroBones said:

OK, yeah then it's probably invalidating the cache as it should. I wasn't sure when Sarbian added that capability. I started deleting the cache automatically for my mod testing quite a long time ago, back when it was throwing off my tests pretty frequently.

Anyway, at this point we probably need to look at your KSP.log to see what's going on. Since I don't have a view into how it's working on your side, I'm out of general suggestions and can't get more specific. :)

@NecroBones, ok, I've created a Dropbox page and put the two log files in it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh7mtpxjszh552b/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntnk1evtvb5gnqa/output_log.txt?dl=0

@NecroBones

I'm back with the one man balance brigade...and the focus of today is: Cube Sat tanks and their sad state (so sad:().

See exhibit A (picture below).

• The OscarB tank has a volume of 40.
  • Your Small Cube, which is a little smaller than the OscarB (maybe), has a volume of....6.
  • You Medium Cube, which is about two OscarB's (80 volume), has a volume of 18.
  • And the Super Massive Cube, which eclipses all that stands before it, has a height of 3 OscarB's (120 volume) but has a volume of... 80.

I think I know what the real issue is. You hate Cubes. You're a Circle/Spherical Supremacist!

Please reconsider your wayward ways?

(I didn't look at the triangle, because it's a silly shape but I'm sure it's a victim too!)

:D:wink:

(I don't rightly know what the proper volumes should be, but right now things seem decidedly askew. At the very least, I think the small and mediums should be able to be direct competitors with the Oscar (maybe 0.85x for the small and 2.5x for the medium? A generous 6x for the bigg'un?) I'm just throwing out eyeballed numbers, but I'm sure you could math it for a better approx. if you felt so inclined).

08tWkmU.png

---

@Laguna why 1.0.5 still? 1.1.3 is so much nicer (stability wise and in every other way). Looking at the output log, RCS build aid has problems, as does Kopernicus. If I'm reading your posts right....are you trying to take meshes for Fuel Tanks and apply them to a Command Pod? I do not think that will turn out like you expect it will (if that is in fact your endeavor).

Edited by Deimos Rast

23 hours ago, Laguna said:

OK cool, I'll take a look. I probably won't have time until next week though, since I'll be offline for a few days.

14 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

@NecroBones

I'm back with the one man balance brigade...and the focus of today is: Cube Sat tanks and their sad state (so sad:().

See exhibit A (picture below).

• The OscarB tank has a volume of 40.
  • Your Small Cube, which is a little smaller than the OscarB (maybe), has a volume of....6.
  • You Medium Cube, which is about two OscarB's (80 volume), has a volume of 18.
  • And the Super Massive Cube, which eclipses all that stands before it, has a height of 3 OscarB's (120 volume) but has a volume of... 80.

I think I know what the real issue is. You hate Cubes. You're a Circle/Spherical Supremacist!

Please reconsider your wayward ways?

(I didn't look at the triangle, because it's a silly shape but I'm sure it's a victim too!)

:D:wink:

(I don't rightly know what the proper volumes should be, but right now things seem decidedly askew. At the very least, I think the small and mediums should be able to be direct competitors with the Oscar (maybe 0.85x for the small and 2.5x for the medium? A generous 6x for the bigg'un?) I'm just throwing out eyeballed numbers, but I'm sure you could math it for a better approx. if you felt so inclined).

Heh, I think what I was thinking was more that they would be probe "instrument platforms" which just happened to also contain some fuel. :) If I remember correctly, the fuel quantities were all set before the Oscar-B got rebalanced. So yeah, I can probably rework their stats. But again, probably not til next week.

19 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Looking at the output log, RCS build aid has problems, as does Kopernicus. If I'm reading your posts right....are you trying to take meshes for Fuel Tanks and apply them to a Command Pod? I do not think that will turn out like you expect it will (if that is in fact your endeavor).

No, I want to use some of the FTP adapter tanks as pods, as they have textures I want to use (I like the blue and Soyuz ones with the stripes :) ) .  First one, the 2m1m one, is having problems getting the mesh-switching applied, even though I used the FTP 2m tank MM mesh-switch patch as a template.

I'll try altering the adapter tanks directly (i.e. @PART) , not going to use the adapter tanks anyway in the customized career I'm setting up.

13 hours ago, Laguna said:

No, I want to use some of the FTP adapter tanks as pods, as they have textures I want to use (I like the blue and Soyuz ones with the stripes :) ) .  First one, the 2m1m one, is having problems getting the mesh-switching applied, even though I used the FTP 2m tank MM mesh-switch patch as a template.

I'll try altering the adapter tanks directly (i.e. @PART) , not going to use the adapter tanks anyway in the customized career I'm setting up.

Oh, one other idea, is that you can copy an existing part and make changes, using MM. For instance, if you wanted to save yourself the trouble of figuring out all the MM magic and just duplicate (as an example) the "X200-08-FTP Adapter Tank", and add some things to it, you could do something like this.. It's an untested example below, but it should give you an idea. It copies the part, removes the fuel, and adds all the command pod components from the Mk1-2 pod. It doesn't try to change the fuel-switcher config though, so it probably needs something for that:

+PART[TPtank2m1mA]:FINAL
{
	// "FINAL" means execute at after all the mods. Don't distribute mods with this.

@name = myNewPodTank	// or whatever
	@title = Pod based on X200-08-FTP Adapter Tank
	@description = whatever
	@tags = capsule cmg control ?eva fly gyro ?iva moment pilot react rocket space stab steer torque
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] { }
	!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] { }
	INTERNAL
	{
		name = PodCockpit
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 1
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 150
		maxAmount = 150
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleReactionWheel
		PitchTorque = 15
		YawTorque = 15
		RollTorque = 15
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 1.2
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceExperiment
		experimentID = crewReport
		experimentActionName = Crew Report
		resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
		reviewActionName = Review Report
		useStaging = False
		useActionGroups = True
		hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
		rerunnable = True
		xmitDataScalar = 1.0
		usageReqMaskInternal = 5
		usageReqMaskExternal = -1
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer
		reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
		storeActionName = Store Experiments
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 2.0
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConductionMultiplier
		modifiedConductionFactor = 0.003
		convectionFluxThreshold = 3000
	}
}

7 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Oh, one other idea, is that you can copy an existing part and make changes, using MM. For instance, if you wanted to save yourself the trouble of figuring out all the MM magic and just duplicate (as an example) the "X200-08-FTP Adapter Tank", and add some things to it, you could do something like this.. It's an untested example below, but it should give you an idea. It copies the part, removes the fuel, and adds all the command pod components from the Mk1-2 pod. It doesn't try to change the fuel-switcher config though, so it probably needs something for that:

@NecroBones, that WAS the first method I used. :)  The issue is that I want to delete the fuel and the fuel-switching, but keep the mesh-switching, and just using ":[FINAL]" resets the fuel switching and original dry mass.  I do have CCC along with FTP, and I found I had to do ":AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]:BEFORE[ColorCodedCans]" to keep the fuel-switching deleted. This leaves the adapter tank-pod looking like this:

83LiLar.png

On top of the FTP adapeter tank-pod I placed my earlier stock T100 tank turned into an upper pod piece, to show that I did get the mesh-switching and alterations to apply to my modded stock+CCC tank.  The FTP adapter tank-pod's mesh has a problem, obviously, and even using the 000_TPTank2m_MM.cfg patch from FTP altered for my new part doesn't work, leaves the same result as in the image.

5 hours ago, Laguna said:

@NecroBones, that WAS the first method I used. :)  The issue is that I want to delete the fuel and the fuel-switching, but keep the mesh-switching, and just using ":[FINAL]" resets the fuel switching and original dry mass.  I do have CCC along with FTP, and I found I had to do ":AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]:BEFORE[ColorCodedCans]" to keep the fuel-switching deleted. This leaves the adapter tank-pod looking like this:

<image>

On top of the FTP adapeter tank-pod I placed my earlier stock T100 tank turned into an upper pod piece, to show that I did get the mesh-switching and alterations to apply to my modded stock+CCC tank.  The FTP adapter tank-pod's mesh has a problem, obviously, and even using the 000_TPTank2m_MM.cfg patch from FTP altered for my new part doesn't work, leaves the same result as in the image.

Doh! OK. Yeah, I'll take a look at your logs when I get some time next week. I was going to ask if you used the right MM patch set, since each diameter has a different set of rules and mesh names, and the adapter tanks are based on the lower (larger) diameter. But it looks like you took that part into account already.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2016 at 4:22 AM, Ruedii said:

I just got a brilliant idea.

Would it be possible to make these automatically accept texture packs designed for procedural parts?

Probably not, unfortunately. The color switching in FTP works with mesh-switching, rather than texture-switching. So it would somehow need to be able to switch between both in order to accept outside textures, and I don't think any of the switcher mods allow for combinations of both mesh and texture switching on the same parts.

On 8/16/2016 at 10:17 AM, NecroBones said:

Probably not, unfortunately. The color switching in FTP works with mesh-switching, rather than texture-switching. So it would somehow need to be able to switch between both in order to accept outside textures, and I don't think any of the switcher mods allow for combinations of both mesh and texture switching on the same parts.

Would it be possible to generate additional meshes from the additional textures?
(Possibly even use module manager to generate a config file lines to attach said textures to a mesh)

I suspect that would be easier than supporting both mesh and texture switch.  It also would provide better graphics quality because it would allow for using a shader to handle texture-derived normals on otherwise "flat" textures to extrapolate shading into normal maps and/or parallax maps.  (I believe Unity3D has this shader built-in, so unless it was explicitly removed it should be in KSP's engine.)

Edited by Ruedii
Moar info

On 8/20/2016 at 4:53 AM, Ruedii said:

Would it be possible to generate additional meshes from the additional textures?
(Possibly even use module manager to generate a config file lines to attach said textures to a mesh)

I suspect that would be easier than supporting both mesh and texture switch.  It also would provide better graphics quality because it would allow for using a shader to handle texture-derived normals on otherwise "flat" textures to extrapolate shading into normal maps and/or parallax maps.  (I believe Unity3D has this shader built-in, so unless it was explicitly removed it should be in KSP's engine.)

That's basically how it would have to be done-- That is, meshes designed for those textures, and then a bunch of MM rules to add them either to the active or deactivated configs based on whether the other mod is present. So it's not impossible, but it does increase the complexity (and to some degree the memory footprint of the meshes as well).

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Chrisflynnfreerun said:

Hey NecroBones, I really love this mod and have been using it since about 1.0 I am just wondering, will this mod be updated for Kerbal 1.2?

Thanks!

Yep, I expect all of my mods to work with 1.2 with little or no modification. Compatibility will hinge on the prerequisite mods, such as InterstellarFuelSwitch, ModuleManager, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, zeppie said:

Its getting stuck now on load with the newest update.

Stuck on Decouplers .

Appears to be hanging on the 0m decoupler.

Strange. It didn't have that problem on my side. I'm assuming your other mods are 1.2 compatible, such as ModuleManager, etc? I'll probably need to see your log. First, delete the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file in GameData, if it exists (so it doesn't pull any cached data). Run the game again, let it get to that point where it hangs. Then close/kill the game. Then put a copy of KSP.log somewhere (perhaps dropbox). Make sure you close the game before grabbing the log, since the log doesn't get the last bit of data written until the program closes. I need all of those steps so I can see what's interacting with the FTP parts.

5 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

The newest version of interstellar fuel switch is not working for me on 1.2, would you mind linking to version you are using?

It looks like he took down the one I'm testing with. I'm using 2.2 at the moment. He has 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 out here:

https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/interstellar-fuel-switch/files

22 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Stuck on Decouplers .

I can't put log file anywhere ATM, but I have the same problem and I read two exceptions at the end of log:

[LOG 15:16:10.311] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FuelTanksPlus/Size0/TPdecoupler0m/TPdecoupler0m'
[EXC 15:16:10.320] ArgumentException: The requested value 'Coupling' was not found.
	System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase)
	System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value)
	ConfigNode.ParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String vectorString)
	ConfigNode.ReadValue (System.Type fieldType, System.String value)
	ConfigNode.ReadObject (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node)
	ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, Int32 pass, Boolean removeAfterUse)
	PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
	PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A.MoveNext ()
[EXC 15:16:10.328] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p)
	PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName)
	DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p)
	Part+<Start>c__Iterator25.MoveNext ()

Edited by Ahmeni

6 minutes ago, Ahmeni said:

I can't put log file anywhere ATM, but I have the same problem and I read two exceptions at the end of log:

[LOG 15:16:10.311] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FuelTanksPlus/Size0/TPdecoupler0m/TPdecoupler0m'
[EXC 15:16:10.320] ArgumentException: The requested value 'Coupling' was not found.
	System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase)
	System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value)
	ConfigNode.ParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String vectorString)
	ConfigNode.ReadValue (System.Type fieldType, System.String value)
	ConfigNode.ReadObject (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node)
	ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, Int32 pass, Boolean removeAfterUse)
	PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
	PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A.MoveNext ()
[EXC 15:16:10.328] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p)
	PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName)
	DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p)
	Part+<Start>c__Iterator25.MoveNext ()

Oh! OK, yeah the "Coupling" category is new for 1.2, and one of the later prereleases at that. Let me look and see if it's in the actual pre-release, and not just Experimentals. When 1.2 actually drops (today I think?) this should work.

EDIT: Yes, the latest prerelease has this new category. Make sure you're on the latest.

9 hours ago, zeppie said:

Stuck on Decouplers .

I think I know what the cause is now. Make sure you're on the latest copy of the pre-release of KSP (or just wait until the full 1.2 comes out soon, before updating to the new FTP). They added new categories very recently, and KSP chokes hard on them, if it's not expecting them.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

It looks like he took down the one I'm testing with. I'm using 2.2 at the moment. He has 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 out here:

https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/interstellar-fuel-switch/files

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and I know it's not your mod but 2.2.2 throws a message on launch that it's only compatible with 1.1.3. I have tried redownloading and reinstalling several times but I always get that error.

The tanks and new couplers show up for me, but you cannot change textures and some have bright pink spots.

Just out of curiosity does 2.2.2 work for anyone else?

1 hour ago, mostlydave said:

The tanks and new couplers show up for me, but you cannot change textures and some have bright pink spots.

The pink stuff shows up when a texture reassignment isn't working. Depending on which ones are doing it, it may or may not involve other mods. Something's not installed right, or with the right versions, if you're seeing that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.