Lifter Family names

JPmAn

Can anyone give me any lifter name ideas to release on curse?

Please reply, I will give you credit for the names.

I will be planning on 6 families

Ranging from manned to extra planetary probes

Edited by JPmAn

I think you need to be a bit more specific in what sort of payloads they're going to be lifting. Though I suppose a good idea would be to list them according to how much collateral damage they're going to cause if the launch goes haywire. So you could call them Little Bang, Big Boom, Huge Blast, Crater-Maker, Catastrophe-in-Waiting, and Rocket Apocalypse.

I have:

various reusable spaceplane launchers,

the N1, for big stuff that doesn't fit in cargo bays,

the N4 (4 times as big as the N1), for huge stuff that doesn't fit in cargo bays,

and the N9 (9 times as big as the N1), for obscenely huge stuff that also doesn't fit in cargo bays.

The N1, N4, and N9 use a reusable liquid core made of Kerbodyne parts, and disposable solid boosters. The number of boosters varies based on the payload, but at launch the rockets usually derive about half their thrust from the core and half from the boosters.

Animal names. Because animals are cute and science is cute.

Ergo, animal named/themed rocketry parts is cool (and cute).

I prefer scientific names of insects. Typically genera. They are cool and language independent. I have Nymphalis, Volucella, Hybomitra, Catocala, Sapedra, etc.

You can find lists for example in Wikipedia. Here is a lisf of english hoverflies. If you click links under "Scientific classification" you can find practically unlimited source of names of living things.

Mine follow sort of the American way of naming weapons and stuff, starts out as a formal name like "M4E8 Sherman" but the "Kerbals" call it "Sherman Easy Eight".

My rockets will start out at "M1 LKO-A" (Model One, Low Kerbin Orbit - Autonomous) which is now known as the "M1 Lakota"

I'm extremely boring, so my lifters are just named after the Greek alphabet. The 1.25m launchers are Alpha, 2.5m launchers are Beta, and the new huge 3.75m rocket parts are Gamma. And they have a number after their name corresponding to the mass they can carry to a 100km LKO. For example, my 2.5m launcher that can carry 25.5 tonnes into orbit is the "Beta 255". Pretty boring, I know :P

I'm extremely boring, so my lifters are just named after the Greek alphabet. The 1.25m launchers are Alpha, 2.5m launchers are Beta, and the new huge 3.75m rocket parts are Gamma. And they have a number after their name corresponding to the mass they can carry to a 100km LKO. For example, my 2.5m launcher that can carry 25.5 tonnes into orbit is the "Beta 255". Pretty boring, I know :P

Maybe I can build the Lambda 100, solid first stage liquid second like the Ares 1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.