[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Why is it that my planet looks good from a distance, but as I land it converts to Laythe? (Laythe is the template I'm using). It seems as if Kittopia is not working? Kopernicus determines the distant view, but that changes over to Kittopia as the craft gets closer to the planet. I don't have any .bin files for my planet. How do I make .bin files? Is this why the Kittopia isn't working? I've spent hours and hours trying to get my planets to work properly. Could someone who actually knows what they are doing please make a youtube video tutorial showing how to load the mod correctly, set up the files, and make a planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Planet Factory can create maps, .bin files and normals - Can't these features be added to Kopernicus Tech?

Why is it that my planet looks good from a distance, but as I land it converts to Laythe? (Laythe is the template I'm using). It seems as if Kittopia is not working? Kopernicus determines the distant view, but that changes over to Kittopia as the craft gets closer to the planet. I don't have any .bin files for my planet. How do I make .bin files? Is this why the Kittopia isn't working? I've spent hours and hours trying to get my planets to work properly. Could someone who actually knows what they are doing please make a youtube video tutorial showing how to load the mod correctly, set up the files, and make a planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Planet Factory can create maps, .bin files and normals - Can't these features be added to Kopernicus Tech?

Okay, do not worry. This is a common problem I'm sure many of us (myself definitely included) have encountered before. I am not sure what exactly causes planets/moons to turn into their templates, but what has worked for me is just to rewrite the config file for Koperincus and Kittopia entirely. Maybe you just made a typo or something and have to start over. :rolleyes:

Sorry I have no more specific details on the matter. :(

Also, I would like you to ask Eudae55 what tool does he use to create the craters? And yes, I know that he firstly creates the height map and then applies the colors.

The height and color map are both made using World Machine as far as I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Link your files so we can take a look at them. Or post it here in code tags on the forum.

like this

This is in GameData/KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad

PlanetKrok

{

AdditionalData

{

Stock = False

AddAtmoFx = False

AddOceanFx = False

OceanLoadTextures = False

UnlitOcean = False

ModScaledAtmoShader = False

AddRings = False

AddParticles = False

DisableOrbitRenderer = False

}

CelestialBody

{

atmosphereContainsOxygen = False

pressureMultiplier = 0.08

altitudeMultiplier = 0.5

atmoshpereTemperatureMultiplier = .8

atmosphereMultiplier = 0.08

maxAtmosphereAltitude = 30000

atmosphereScaleHeight = 2.5

ocean = False

}

PQS

{

PQSMod_HeightColorMap

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSCity

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = GameData/PlanetPack/Textures/Krok_height.png

heightMapDeformity = 6000

heightMapOffset = 300

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap

{

vertexColorMap = GameData/PlanetPack/Textures/Krok_map.png

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight

{

seed = 32374

deformity = 200

octaves = 8

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 12

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute

{

seed = 742926

deformity = 20

octaves = 3

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 0.8

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise

{

deformity = 300

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightMap

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha

{

atmosphereDepth = 5000

modEnabled = True

}

PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexNoiseColor

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_QuadEnhanceCoast

{

modEnabled = False

}

}

}

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I don't know how to get that text block whatsit thing.

No, there is definately something wrong with the mod - or at least my version of the mod - I downloaded the TerrestrialPlanetsPack and moved one of the planets into orbit around Kerbin. So all I changed was the semiMajorAxis and the referenceBody. I flew a craft to the planet, and as I got closer, the planet changed to Laythe and I landed on Laythe....

Do any of you actually land on your planets or do you just look at them from a distance?

Well, I can land on all my planets with no problem. The only problem I have is that terrain from Orbit is less detailed than from ground. Try my Kerbol Plus and report if the problem persists. Also, you can use Hyper Edit to put yourself in Orbit of any planet.

Hey, I am about ready to give Kopernicus another try becuz:

1. Planet Factory's latest update doesn't exactly work -- spews about 13,000 error messages (actual count!).

2. It appears that Kopernicus has reached a level of maturity that rivals, and in places, surpasses PF.

3. The general direction of the footprints is in the direction of Kopernicus.

Okay... Now my problem is that I've pack-ratted an unbelievable amount of content for the PF mod, much of which I'm quite fond of, only a tiny fraction of which appears to be available for Kopernicus at this date. Any suggestions?

Well... Try outer planets, outer planets plus, terrestrial planet pack, Kerbol Plus, port gas giant, minor bodies and transport keptunian. All of these are very good planet packs that you should try. Also, New Horizonts pack!

Okay - I'm going to try Kerbol Plus, but I was just thinking that it might be because I removed all KSP planets from the system file except Kerbin. It might be that the game is taking the opportunity to keep any template Laythe planet as Laythe - because there is no other Laythe...

So I'll try Kerbol Plus first, but if that doesn't work, I'll try put Laythe back in and see whether that allows me to make other planets based on Laythe.

Okay - I'm going to try Kerbol Plus, but I was just thinking that it might be because I removed all KSP planets from the system file except Kerbin. It might be that the game is taking the opportunity to keep any template Laythe planet as Laythe - because there is no other Laythe...

So I'll try Kerbol Plus first, but if that doesn't work, I'll try put Laythe back in and see whether that allows me to make other planets based on Laythe.

I had a similar issue previously, and simply switched the template from laythe to kerbin and it worked fine after that. For me it was only an issue when trying to increase the size of laythe planets.

Nonono don't delete anything from the Kopernicus folder! alos, could ypu try my Tauton planet from Kerbol Plus and tell me if it still looks like Laythe?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been messin with terrain lately...

I4fJqP6

Edited by amarius1

I don't want the KSP planets in my system - I want a completely new system.

I have in the meantime left all the ksp planets in the system and made a new planet using Laythe as a template and got my craft there with HyperEdit. I have made the height map plain black, and used this to make a normal map with 50% transparency. I have a plain sand coloured color map. I have the heightMapDeformity set at 1000 and the heightMapOffset at 0. I don't have a .bin file.

The planet should be smooth and the same height all over, but this is what the planet looks like in near orbit -

YMJUUZy.png

And this is the Orbit view -

aC7pEvA.png

Edited by michaelmozzienz

Well, you may want to mess a bit with the offset parameter. Edit it for like 200 or - 200 and you'll see the water level raising or lowering after you click on "load" from Kittopia menu. Alternatively, you may set the heightMapDeformity to 15000 to raise the terrain, or lower the terrain using negative numbers.

BtW, the reason oceans don't appear from hight up is that you need to actually draw the oceans on the texture. In the future, try making a height map using your base texture:

1. Make a texture with lakes or whatever.

2. Use an image editor to create a monocrome copy of your texture.

3. Mess with the heightMapDeformity and heightMap offset until you get desired results.

Also, how did you insert those images...

Well, you may want to mess a bit with the offset parameter. Edit it for like 200 or - 200 and you'll see the water level raising or lowering after you click on "load" from Kittopia menu. Alternatively, you may set the heightMapDeformity to 15000 to raise the terrain, or lower the terrain using negative numbers.

BtW, the reason oceans don't appear from hight up is that you need to actually draw the oceans on the texture. In the future, try making a height map using your base texture:

1. Make a texture with lakes or whatever.

2. Use an image editor to create a monocrome copy of your texture.

3. Mess with the heightMapDeformity and heightMap offset until you get desired results.

Also, how did you insert those images...

It doesn't matter if I change the heightMapDeformity or the heightMapOffset - sure that may get rid of the ocean by raising the land above it, but what I'm trying to show here is that there is an underlying land texture that messes up any height map you put on your planet - there is a base texture that shows through the height map. You can't see it very well in my image, but if you look closely there are hills and hollows and ridges - it should be completely flat as my height map is plain black and should therefore make all of the land at sea level - 0m.

There does not seem to be a Kittopia menu in version 0.13.

I inserted the images from Imgur by clicking on the Insert Image icon and pasting in the Imgur BBCode (message boards & forums).

Edited by michaelmozzienz

Okay - I've got the Kittopia menu now - I tried Ctrl+p previously, but was obviously in the wrong view at the time - it worked in Orbit Map View when I selected the planet then pressed Ctrl+p.

Going back to the tutorial at the beginning of this forum thread - any time I try to update scaled space by clicking on ScaledSpace updater with export highlighted, all I ever get is maps that look like this -

4wece4O.png

It doesn't matter what planet I try - or what template the planet is using - it always comes up with a height map (shown here), a color map and a normal map, all with the same features. I produced this map from the same planet shown in my other pictures - it is not the same surface features.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I'm on tablet... Also, it may be erase of your normal map. Also, press Ctrl+P or Alt+P to.bring up the UI.

If I take away my normal map, this is what I get in Orbit Map view (Laythe overlaid with my color map) -

Arnk8K4.png