'End' of career mode

1of6Billion

I mostly just do the scripted contracts for the celestial bodies. The only time I ever take any other contracts is when I need funds -- I do like the new contracts that were added with Fine Print like the "visual observation" and satellite contracts but I only really do them when I need science or funds to accomplish some larger goal.

For me, Career Mode ends when I have completed all of the celestial body contracts. I always dabble with asteroid captures and station building, but there's almost no point to it so I lose interest in that idea pretty quick.

Ill be finished (on my current career mode game) once i have a self sustaining colony on every body in the Kerbol system :D (using MKS/TAC LS) Minus Jool of course.

So far ive only got a large facility on the Mun, a mining colony / orbiting shipyards at Minmus and a small starting one at Duna. :P

Now that SQUAD is adding lose conditions, the should consider adding multiple victory conditions, something simular to CIV4.

You could earn a victory by accumulating X science points, funds, rep, or bodies visited.

Ideally, you could keep playing after meeting a condition.

I think you should be able to set winning goals for yourself in the game, like

- earn 1 Million credits;

- land on every body in the Kerbol system;

- unlock the entire tech tree.

0.25 done, done, easy, usually done before leaving the Kerbin system. 0.90 I have to get my nauts out of KSC alive. . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Ill be finished (on my current career mode game) once i have a self sustaining colony on every body in the Kerbol system :D (using MKS/TAC LS) Minus Jool of course.

So far ive only got a large facility on the Mun, a mining colony / orbiting shipyards at Minmus and a small starting one at Duna. :P

When you manage to find the secret add-on that allows a permanent floating colony in the atmosphere of Jool, complete with off world launch pad.

There should be a science return, like having analyzed the soil of Eeloo and determined that it is rich in Xenon gas . . . . . .Or the soil of Bop is rich in the Ship stabilizing element Krackenite, and element that stabilizes all physics and makes parts impervious to twisting, breaking force and physics lag.

For me I didn't find an end to the career game...

At this moment I have 18 millions and 4000 of tech, and I making the colonization of all Kerbol system (I have 58+kerbonauts and every one are on a mission)... I continue playing the career game because I can make research in every place that I visit.

Oh, I play with basically two mods:

TAC Life Support and USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS)

No Kerbal was harm in all the game... But one time I need to find the sorter way to return ti Kerbin, I had only resources for 4 days and the orbit was of more than 10 days...

Oh, I am not alone on that way of play... I wanted to share designs with you, if is possible.

Edited by obi_juan

Well, I had a "Put an E-class asteroid on a Kerbol Escape Trajectory" back in 0.24 (where I hooked into a 3600ton behemoth) that I still haven't finished, and I still have the save. Build a base into it and that could be a "Win Game" condition.

Another possibility that could be added would be amassing enough science (10k+) to unlock a "Future Tech" node, which would have the interstellar drive. Then you need to have enough kash to actually buy the thing. Then you need to launch the massive thing, along with enough crew capacity, and get it onto a specific (unless you want to go to another galaxy) kerbolar escape trajectory. For maximum difficulty, make the escape be in a roughly polar direction. Oh, and in less than 100 years, before Kerbol goes nova.

When there are no relevant contracts about any science I haven't researched yet.

We always learn... but learning can be fun.

And then once you learn it by basics you earnteh right to use a mod or tool to do the hard work for you...

It's like goignto University an learning all this stuff then getting a job in reall life and using like 10% of that stuff because ther is a super expensive software package that does it for you.. you just have to know the by feeling that the result is right.+ Reply to Thread

I consider the sandbox open for business when the tech tree is done and I'm sitting on an eight-digit budget. But that's not the end. That's the beginning.

Exactly. A game like KSP needs no end. I see it as a flaw in the design that it now seems to inviting one. If done better, with some more well thought out game mechanics, you could just keep expanding your presence in space, exploring the planets in detail, and bringing more and more kerbals to places.

When the kraken eats my save, as it has done with every single career so far, usually not very far in either.

I do wish squad would try and kill some of these krakens instead of constantly adding new features which will undoubtedly just add more save killing bugs in.

• 2 weeks later...

I hoped never to end my career mode, I am still playing .25 with mods and have done the mun, minmus and have made ships for duna, jool, eve for contracts. Had 6 million in the bank at one point, spent 5 on jool and duna vessels. Wasted about 2 million litterally. Planning pointless visits to the mun, wondering if i can profit from kethane, or other resourcables :s i got a nice minmus kethane base, would rather build another one than move that though.

TBH i thought it would just keep spitting out contracts, and like now i have to think about a budget, all of my science goes to money i unlocked everything in the tech tree.

Career mode ends when a save-breaking bug appears or a new version comes out.

At least, that's how each and every one of my career saves has ended :D

Yeah... My last career mode game ended like that. Couldn't resume save if my career save folder was in saves folder ;.; Strangely it happened when I planned launches for Jool. Everytime I planned something for Jool I had problems. I'm cursed :(

For me it will end when I run out of cash. Currently sitting on just 900k. Techtree unlocked and no more missions that generate any bit of interesting money (Just a few missions goin up to 20k)

I'm currently planning a large Duna mission, so hopefully I'll get some nice missions after that.

This :P

But there's still so much to do! Have you explored every biome in the solar system with every science instrument you have available? Have you discovered all the anomalies and planted flags on them? Have you destroyed your facilities and rebuilt them?

There are lots of things left to do once you've unlocked the full tech tree. Parts are just tools, not goals in themselves.

Career mode ends when a save-breaking bug appears or a new version comes out.

At least, that's how each and every one of my career saves has ended :D

This is how all of my games have ended so far. Its really sad because unless I play sandbox I never end up getting to manned missions in the Joolian system before some horrible save file corrupting bug eats my soul. I think I'm in an abusive relationship with KSP. Everything seems to be going along lovely and then BAM! KSP breaks up with me (corrupted save file) and I go through the five stages of mourning, KSP promises it will change (new mods, new version) and we start over. Recently this pace has accelerated because I've become addicted to swapping out and trying new MODS with CKAN since the 'production time' of preparing a new modded install is substantially decreased. I've probably put something like 1400 hours into ksp, steam is at about 800 but I've played at least half my time offline.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.