Running into KSP players in the real world.

NecroBones

Has anyone here just happened to run into other KSP players out there in the real world? Other than friends, of course.

I had my first case of this, and it was amusing. I went to a sci-fi convention this past weekend, and attended a science panel on surviving spacecraft disasters. A young man was making a lot of astute comments, which finally culminated in a statement about the impracticality of "noodle" designs... which nailed it in my mind, and so I loudly said "You're a KSP player, aren't you?" which got enough of a laugh from the room that I suspect at least a few people knew what I was talking about. He said "Yes. Yes I am."

I didn't get a chance to talk to him or anyone else from that session later, as I had other places to be (later resulting in my Jeb moment later that night).

Of course, a sci-fi con probably has a very high chance of running into KSP players, and also a high chance of recognizing them. But it's still fantastic to have that happen.

so the other day im watching a youtube video about ksp in study hall and one of my classmates comes up behind me and looks at it, then says "I know that game, have you landed on Duna yet?"

i thought i was the only one who knew about this game in my school, at first i thought he was lying about knowing it, but then he said Duna when the video showed no sign of it, and he'd never seen me watch one of these videos before.

:D

None who are real superplayers like me. I have friends who play KSP, but they're pretty casual about it. I've yet to meet a hardcore Kerbal.

Same. I mentioned KSP to a guy I know, and he asked me if I could land on the Mun. I told him I could do a lot more than that, then I put on a real smug look. :P

I also met a science teacher at a wedding rehearsal dinner who was trying to figure out ways to incorporate KSP into lessons. That was pretty cool.

Anecdote time!

Sarbian visited New York this fall, and we took a trip to the USS Intrepid museum. It has the Approach and Landing Test shuttle Enterprise, and we walked through that pavilion. We met a group of folks talking about KSP, and we couldn't not introduce ourselves. Internet fame: apparently two of them now have their selfies with us as facebook profile pics. :]

I once put together a small meetup of KSP players at the Air & Space museum's Virginia annex (where they have the shuttle.) About 10 of us showed up, ranging in age from preteens to 40+.

I haven't had any random "oh, you play that too?" meetings in person, though. I'm going to order the coffee mug soon and see if any co-workers notice.

Anecdote time!

Sarbian visited New York this fall, and we took a trip to the USS Intrepid museum. It has the Approach and Landing Test shuttle Enterprise, and we walked through that pavilion. We met a group of folks talking about KSP, and we couldn't not introduce ourselves. Internet fame: apparently two of them now have their selfies with us as facebook profile pics. :]

This ^^

One time I noticed one of my friends played it.

One me time I was at a talk about going to Mars. The guy, I forgot his name, had written a few books about space. He worked with Ben Bova once, too.

After the talk was over, I saw a guy wearing a KSP shirt. I asked him about it. And we had a little conversation. Wasn't much, though.

Nah, nobody here in Houston is into any of that crazy space stuff.... (Though it's likely folks have seen me playing KSP in public.)

Anecdote time!

Sarbian visited New York this fall, and we took a trip to the USS Intrepid museum.

I'm still sad the Intrepid chose the one morning I had to spend in NYC last summer to blow up. (Well, not really blow up per se - just some electrical stuff that exploded and sadly hurt a few workers.) Guess maybe I'd seen enough aerospace stuff on that trip anyway, having hit Stennis, Pensacola, Pax River, Udvar Hazy and a few other spots along the way.

I have a couple of friends at school who play it, although they only play casually and mostly without mods. I have a feeling some of them only play because they saw some hilarious video on youtube and found the game on steam.

Edited by A-Stax32
grammar fixin'

That's news to myself and my two coworkers that play.

It was news to me and my coworkers too.

Wait....

Not really sure I'd count finding coworkers that play KSP as "in the wild" though. I was thinking more of stumbling upon somebody in a coffeeshop in Montrose or The Heights trying to crash the Mün party moreso than finding somebody at work.

Another forum actually... there was a thread in subforum chit chat and randomness called what game are you playing right now, I said ksp and the next day got a visitor message on my profile about if I got to duna... said yes and said also lay the mun and minmus, then told about my minmus base that I landed something close enough to dock without rcs, they had only gotten to mun.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran into someone dressed as Russian Jebediah at a convention last Summer.

Pic? Can't imagine a Russian Jeb (unless you mean rushin' to death... erm jool landing).

When my son was in grade 6, they were playing KSP as a learning experience. I talked to his teacher, and she was also playing it, though we didn't really talk about KSP.

I've not met a serious player. I even introduced a colleague to the game, because he couldn't get into orbit, and I am sure he no longer plays.

- - - Updated - - -

It's so hard to find someone who can talk rocket science over a pint :/

I'd love to be able to do that too. Talk rocket science, and enjoy a pint or 3. I used to have a friend who I went to the pub with almost every friday for a few pints, and we talked about a lot of intellectual topics. I'm certain he would have been into KSP. Unfortunately, we both moved to different countries over 10 years ago and we lost contact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.