Probe suggestions

Depends on what it has. But even if it has nothing but some remaining dV, you could still:

- Dip down to 95km to do a visual inspection of the surface, possibly leave it here as an "Eve cam" for future use

- Dip it down below 90km to find out how much fun it is to enter Eve's atmosphere

- Shoot it out to Gilly if you'd like to see the tiniest celestial body (not cheap on dV though)

- Maybe drop it into Moho encounter, capture is difficult but a flyby isn't unreasonable if you can exit Eve orbit

Haha. So it's like an asteroid?

Someone once said that the final stages of landing on Gilly bear more resemblance to docking than landing.

It might be an overstatement, but if you approach it as you would docking, you probably won't go wrong.

Haha. So it's like an asteroid?

Close enough. Even if you land close to 0.1m/s you'll still bounce upwards if you don't use RCS to thrust towards the surface. Kerbals can barely walk there because their footsteps lift them off the surface. Just carrying out a single jump can take several minutes they float so far.

Close enough. Even if you land close to 0.1m/s you'll still bounce upwards if you don't use RCS to thrust towards the surface. Kerbals can barely walk there because their footsteps lift them off the surface. Just carrying out a single jump can take several minutes they float so far.

And Heaven forbid you go into ragdoll mode. May as well go out to dinner than sit there waiting for him to stop.

If its big enough you could plunge deep into the atmosphere and then blast off into space at the last second. You probably won't be able to resist the massive gravity of Eve and end blowing up on the surface, splattering parts all over the celestial body.

Well that's all I got. I would have more but unfortunately Eve isn't an analog for Uranus. :(

Edited by Pax Kerbana

"Landing" on Gilly was my finest moment in KSP, took most of a Saturday morning burning towards it...

4x physical timewarp helps a bit with Gilly... hold Alt and press >. Just turn it off near the surface. Still definitely a slow descent though. :)

If its big enough you could plunge deep into the atmosphere and then blast off into space at the last second. You probably won't be able to resist the massive gravity of Eve and end blowing up on the surface, splattering parts all over the celestial body.

I see what you did there. :P

Revert to launch. Enjoy the fun all over again. :)

Unfortunately it took me 2 years to get there so I can't revert lol.

It feels nice, doesn't it?

EDIT: I MEAN THE PROBE THING

EDIT2: I MEAN, UH... Having a probe in a stable orbit around another planet. Very satisfying, isn't it?

Indeed

Put it in a polar orbit and reap the science rewards of the gravioli detector

I'm in sandbox mode sadly. I was just playing around with it and decided why not go to Eve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.