[1.12.x] Editor Extensions Redux released (with SelectRoot merge. StripSymmetry & NoOffsetLimits)

linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

First 2 KSP sessions with 3.4.4 both required resetting mode and snap keys in the SPH. Also just tried reverting to SPH and mode/snap were working then. I'll come back when I have more trials.

Yuck.  Oh well, more hunting for this bug

New release, 3.4.4.1

• Added code to check for key values for toggleSymMode and toggleAngleSnap being null upon entry, if they are, then it resets to the default (X & C) and saves the settings

This should put this bug to bed.  While I'm not sure what's happening, somehow these two key values have been set to None, apparently at random upon exiting from the editor.  But after a couple of fortitious instances, I was able to see some of what's happening.  It may be do to a conflict with another mod which was also doing something with these keys and it being a timing issue, where sometimes that mod would override the values after EEX was done.

For now, the values are being hard-reset (if necessary) to the  X and C values, which are the game defaults.  These are the same values that the Reset Symmetry Mode & Angle Snap keys were using, and since I haven't heard any complaints about those, I'll leave these for now

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 3.4.4.1

• Added code to check for key values for toggleSymMode and toggleAngleSnap being null upon entry, if they are, then it resets to the default (X & C) and saves the settings

This should put this bug to bed.  While I'm not sure what's happening, somehow these two key values have been set to None, apparently at random upon exiting from the editor.  But after a couple of fortitious instances, I was able to see some of what's happening.  It may be do to a conflict with another mod which was also doing something with these keys and it being a timing issue, where sometimes that mod would override the values after EEX was done.

For now, the values are being hard-reset (if necessary) to the  X and C values, which are the game defaults.  These are the same values that the Reset Symmetry Mode & Angle Snap keys were using, and since I haven't heard any complaints about those, I'll leave these for now

Thank you. Ran into that bug from time to time and it seemed to have no rhyme or reason to it.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 3.4.4

• Moved initiation of cached values for the toggles from being initted at class instantiation to in the Start

I think this might fix the problem of the key toggles for Symmetry mode and Angle snap of being set to null.  Please let me know if it happens after you install this version

LGG

It didn't work unfortunately, but I didn't try reverting to VAB as @Krazy1 did, which was also causing the unexpected behavior for me. I'll try isolating all my mods to see if I can find an inconsistency with one of them.

1 hour ago, mateusviccari said:

It didn't work unfortunately, but I didn't try reverting to VAB as @Krazy1 did, which was also causing the unexpected behavior for me. I'll try isolating all my mods to see if I can find an inconsistency with one of them.

Try 3.4.4.1 before you do anything else

On 6/19/2023 at 9:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Try 3.4.4.1 before you do anything else

Hi, sorry for the delay. I've tried it, also did not fix it. But I found the culprit. As I suspected, since I was apparently the only one having the problem every time entering VAB, it was another mod causing a conflict. More specifically, the RP0.dll from Realistic Progression One. I guess I'll open an issue on their GitHub.

9 hours ago, mateusviccari said:

Hi, sorry for the delay. I've tried it, also did not fix it. But I found the culprit. As I suspected, since I was apparently the only one having the problem every time entering VAB, it was another mod causing a conflict. More specifically, the RP0.dll from Realistic Progression One. I guess I'll open an issue on their GitHub.

Really?  When you post the issue, can you please ask them to contact me about it?

New release, 3.4.5

• Finally found the real problem for the Symmetry and AngleSnap keys get set to null, thanks to @NathanKell for pointing out what was happening.  See full description in EditorExtensionsRedux.cs, line 513
  • Moved the code to set and reset the key values into methods to eliminate duplicated code and avoid errors

For those who may be interested, this bug occurred in very rare (mostly) circumstances, and until recently I was unable to replicate it.  It happened when the game settings got saved in the editor by either another mod or the game (there are a few times it does save the settings while in the editor), and then EEX was unable to save the correct settings upon exit, possibly due to a game crash.  This left the Symmetry and AngleSnap keys in a bad state.  The following is the comment I put into the code which describe the fix.

// Following section is set to fix an old bug, where sometimes the Symmetry and AngleSnap keys get set to null
                // This is only a partial fix, which really just resets the keys to the stock default if a None value is detected.
                // It's caused by another mod saving the settings which now have the two values set to NULL by this mod, 
                // and then for whatever reason, the game exits before EEX can save the correct settings.

// The second part of the fix was adding the method OnGameSettingsWritten(), which watches for anything
                // which saves the Settings file.  When that happens, the method will set the correct values to the keys, save it
                // and then set them back to what the mod requires.
                //
                // The SafeWrite is the third part of the fix, where the SaveSettings is prefixed by removing the event call, 
                // saving the settings and then putting the event call back.  This prevents an endless loop
                //

• 2 months later...

Hello @linuxgurugamer,
hope you are doing good! o/ :) After long time I've found some time to play a litte KSP again. Currently I am playing a RSS-RP1 (v1 legacy) career.
The latest RP-1 v1 legacy version (in CKAN) is v1.13.2.2 from 08. June 2023.
The newer RP-1 v2 installs are completely save game incompatible, so for now I am on the "old" RP-1 v1 version.

However, when playing that with EEX after some Kerbal Construction Time "Simulations" and reverts to VABs the left mouse button is not working anymore on the rocket  parts (it's still working on menus).
Reloading the VAB and/or cleaning the input locks does not change anything. Only possibility to fix this I've found is to completely restart the game.
I get the following two exceptions spammed:

[EXC 15:57:15.903] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ExtendedInput.GetKeyDown (KeyCodeExtended key) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	KeyBinding.GetKeyDown (System.Boolean ignoreInputLock) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	EditorLogic.symInputUpdate () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	EditorLogic.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

[EXC 15:57:15.918] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ExtendedInput.GetKeyDown (KeyCodeExtended key) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	EditorExtensionsRedux.EditorExtensions.Update () (at <ea4a47689eb64c65b6bf1fa9ef2f97cf>:0)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

Unfortunately I need some multiple reverts until it occurs sometimes. So I don't have a deterministic way to reproduce it, unfortunately.
I've read and study the issue you discussed with Nathan but I don't know if I have this issue because Nathans RP-1 fix maybe is only in the newer RP-1 v2 versions?

Anyway, if the exceptions points easily to the cause, that's fine. If not, I think it's not needed to start a deep investigation because of my rare case here. I think I can survive without EEX for now or maybe test an older version.  At some point I will start a new RP-1 v2 career. So really no need to waste a lot of time because this issue for me.

Best wishes o/
Jebs_SY

4 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer,
hope you are doing good! o/ :) After long time I've found some time to play a litte KSP again. Currently I am playing a RSS-RP1 (v1 legacy) career.
The newer RP-1 v2 installs are completely save game incompatible, so for now I am on the "old" RP-1 v1 version.

However, when playing that with EEX after some Kerbal Construction Time "Simulations" and reverts to VABs the left mouse button is not working anymore on the rocket  parts (it's still working on menus).
Reloading the VAB and/or cleaning the input locks does not change anything. Only possibility to fix this I've found is to completely restart the game.

[EXC 15:57:15.903] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KeyBinding.GetKeyDown (System.Boolean ignoreInputLock) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	EditorLogic.symInputUpdate () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	EditorLogic.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)

[EXC 15:57:15.918] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	EditorExtensionsRedux.EditorExtensions.Update () (at <ea4a47689eb64c65b6bf1fa9ef2f97cf>:0)

Unfortunately I need some multiple reverts until it occurs sometimes. So I don't have a deterministic way to reproduce it, unfortunately.
I've read and study the issue you discussed with Nathan but I don't know if I have this issue because Nathans RP-1 fix maybe is only in the newer RP-1 v2 versions?

Anyway, if the exceptions points easily to the cause, that's fine. If not, I think it's not needed to start a deep investigation because of my rare case here. I think I can survive without EEX for now or maybe test an older version.  At some point I will start a new RP-1 v2 career. So really no need to waste a lot of time because this issue for me.

Best wishes o/
Jebs_SY

As usual, no logs, no support.  I don't even know which version you are running

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dr3k said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer. I'm also experiencing null reference exceptions. Here is the full log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oc1btVTdMTIAC4JDGOletUXPKOAupzJi/view

Also, I still have to click the "reset keys" button from time to time.

Please be sure to post your logs for support. 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:59 PM, Jebs_SY said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer,

Best wishes o/
Jebs_SY

You can downgrade EEX to version 3.4.4.1. It appears that RP-1 legacy is incompatible with the latest  EEX.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:33 AM, dr3k said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer. I'm also experiencing null reference exceptions. Here is the full log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oc1btVTdMTIAC4JDGOletUXPKOAupzJi/view

Also, I still have to click the "reset keys" button from time to time.

You have some sort of mod conflict, you have over 210 or so mods installed, including RP-0 / RP-1.   YOu seem to have already found out that there is some sort of incompatiblity with RO-1-legacy, but I haven't the foggiest idea why.  EEX only deals with the stock editor, I suppose that the RP-1 changes something.  It's not anything I can fix, you need to contact the RP-1 people and see if they have any idea what's going on.  Other than checking to see that all mods are up-to-day, I can't suggest anything else

• 5 months later...

Thank you very much author, I have been playing KSP since 2017, until now I know this mod exists. If only I knew sooner, this is the mod I've always been looking for