The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

Hey everyone, sorry I'm still running a little behind. I've been glued to the television the last couple days. I'm not going to talk about what's happening, or anything that will bring down the wrath of the moderators. All I'm going to say, and most likely all the moderators will let me say, is I'm a history nut, and something like the last couple days has never happened before, and I really want to watch how it plays out.

1 hour ago, Buzz light fear said:

This just occurred to me was Emiko able to dispatch the wearwolf because kerbal reflexes are fast because they fly the ships manually with the says only providing basic stabilization or am I crazy.

Perhaps... or perhaps there's more going on than meets the eye. Whatever the case, it's a very good observation.  :wink:

2 minutes ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Emiko, when will you rage?

Sorry, 1990s tabletop RPG reference... I'll show myself out. :blush:

hehe..... try taking her grilled cheese away from her...  :0.0:

On 11/10/2016 at 6:09 PM, Just Jim said:

Hey everyone, sorry I'm still running a little behind. I've been glued to the television the last couple days. I'm not going to talk about what's happening, or anything that will bring down the wrath of the moderators. All I'm going to say, and most likely all the moderators will let me say, is I'm a history nut, and something like the last couple days has never happened before, and I really want to watch how it plays out.

I don't blame you I also enjoy history an dthis year was full of it. Now on with your maniacal plat to take over the tri state area (kerbal verse).

8 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

I don't blame you I also enjoy history an dthis year was full of it. Now on with your maniacal plat to take over the tri state area (kerbal verse).

Did you seriously just compare me with Dr. Heinz Doofensmirtz???

(I am so flattered!!!)  :D

OK, got a bunch more done today... next chapter should be just a couple more days.

Until then, here's a teaser/spoiler screenshot to mull over:

Spoiler

Geo looked up and scowled, "But... that wasn't here a couple days ago..."

9cwtAI9.png

Edited by Just Jim

20 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, got a bunch more done today... next chapter should be just a couple more days.

Reveal hidden contents

Geo looked up and scowled, "But... that wasn't here a couple days ago..."

9cwtAI9.png

But... That wasn't here a couple days ago... Or was it?...

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Ah, good to see the Minmus Monolith is back on the ground where it belongs.  Or have they added a few more?  Used to be it was on (or floating above) a hill, not on a flat.

OK, I got all the screenshots for the next chapter.... more or less. It was getting really big, so I decided to split this one up into two or three smaller chapters again. I still have to do some photoshopping and sorting and all that, but I should have the next one posted tomorrow no problem.

15 hours ago, max_creative said:

But... That wasn't here a couple days ago... Or was it?...

15 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Minmus, and green monolith. Hmm.

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Ah, good to see the Minmus Monolith is back on the ground where it belongs.  Or have they added a few more?  Used to be it was on (or floating above) a hill, not on a flat.

32 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

I've seen 2 signals on Minmus on Kerbnet. Followed one of them and found this. Got a free tech for discovery.

This one is definitely a second one, yes. I don't know if there are more on Minmus, but it makes me wonder about other bodies like the Mun or even Kerbin.  

9 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

On Kerbin I so far found one monolith... that was there originally but then disappeared a few versions later. Not sure when exactly, but it returned

I have an easy explanation... because Thompberry willed it back into existence!

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This one is definitely a second one, yes. I don't know if there are more on Minmus, but it makes me wonder about other bodies like the Mun or even Kerbin.  

Well, looking at the Easter Egg page of the KSP Wiki, which seems recently to have been updated, yes, there are quite a few more Monoliths than before.  Minmus does in fact have 2.  Kerbin also has a couple new ones but I think Mun stayed the same.  In addition, every other planet now has at least 1.  However, at most planets, they're not in fixed positions but spawn in random places each time you start a new game.  The Wiki says these wandering Monoliths are "green meanies" and your pic above has a green tinge, so I suspect it won't be in that same place in another game.

Kerbin also has a bunch of communications dishes scattered around now, often in picturesque locations.  You get these if you did NOT check the KSP-only box when creating the game, and you get more as you upgrade the tracking center.  You know in the map view with the display set to "network", you have a bunch of green lines down to Kerbin's surface?  Each line goes to an antennae.

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, looking at the Easter Egg page of the KSP Wiki, which seems recently to have been updated, yes, there are quite a few more Monoliths than before.  Minmus does in fact have 2.  Kerbin also has a couple new ones but I think Mun stayed the same.  In addition, every other planet now has at least 1.  However, at most planets, they're not in fixed positions but spawn in random places each time you start a new game.  The Wiki says these wandering Monoliths are "green meanies" and your pic above has a green tinge, so I suspect it won't be in that same place in another game.

Kerbin also has a bunch of communications dishes scattered around now, often in picturesque locations.  You get these if you did NOT check the KSP-only box when creating the game, and you get more as you upgrade the tracking center.  You know in the map view with the display set to "network", you have a bunch of green lines down to Kerbin's surface?  Each line goes to an antennae.

I just read it, and I'm really curious about this "randomly spawning" feature. I'm going to start a second sandbox game and use Hyperedit to see if the green meanie monolith is in the same location, or if they do spawn in different spots. If they do move around, then I don't have to worry so much about giving away their locations.

Follow up on my last comment... the green meanie monoliths do move around from game to game! I started a second sandbox game and after a few minutes located the green meanie, and it's nowhere near the one in my first sandbox game.

Awesome! This will save me a lot of photoshopping down the road. I've always been really careful not to give away the location of the Easter eggs, and I was planning on altering all the kerbnet windows to hide the monolith coordinates... but apparently now it doesn't matter.  :)

Edited by Just Jim

I'm beginning to see what's wrong and what is right
                                                                             Krokus: Screaming In The Night

Chapter 69
Screaming In The Night

As dawn broke over the eastern sea, Emiko Kerman had just finished telling her friends the first part of her incredible adventure on a strange alien planet called Earth. At first no-one spoke, until Piper finally broke the silence with an awed whisper.

"This is so weird...."

j5QxN0q.png

Z4ix4ID.png

"Oh wait, Piper Kerman," Emiko laughed, "It gets weirder...."

But before Emiko could finish her sentence, alarms began to ring out, and a sudden tremor shook the Space Center violently! 

Tww3jbD.png

Standing next to Emiko, Gene Kerman froze in horror and held his breath and waited... and waited.... and waited...... But to his relief, there was no explosion, no fire alarm... nothing. It appeared the Kerbquake precautions the senior staff had implemented after the last disaster had worked, and this time they had survived. 

"Stay with Emiko," Gene called out to the group as he turned towards the door. "I have to make sure everyone else is OK."

77IhDG2.png

It turned out the Kerbquake precautions had, in fact, worked perfectly, and this time there were no causalities or serious damage. And not long after it was determined this event was also centered on the monoliths, so as soon as one could be fueled, Gene ordered a Chariot out to investigate the nearby KSC monolith. Piper volunteered to drive, but Gene didn't want anyone too close until he knew if and what about it may have changed, and decided it was better to send it out by remote control. He did, however, let Piper handle the controls, which at least made her a little less grumpy.

2R9hGkJ.png

T3xN2qc.png

From what the instruments showed, the monolith appeared the same, only now it wasn't causing any interference with the Chariot signal. Curious, Gene ordered Piper to guide it in to a distance of 50 meters.

SMI6MXo.png

Before they would have lost the signal completely at this distance, but now the Chariot computer was responding just fine. 

"Odd," Gene thought out loud. "I wish Werhner was here..... Piper, take it in close."

gBDMCGf.png

The Chariot was now only 10 meters or so from the monolith, but it's signal was still coming in loud and clear. Other than that it seemed exactly the same as before, and Gene wasn't sure what to think yet.

"OK, Piper, let's see if we still have a signal driving through it. Then bring the Chariot back home and we'll take a look at the data."

But as the Chariot made contact with the monolith, Gene was stunned to see it explode and recoil back in pieces!

cmm7pix.png

kNFggv1.png

"It's.... it's solid???" Gene said softly. "But.... I've walked thru it myself... What does this mean?"

Seated next to him, Piper tried to keep her hands from shaking. The entire front of the Chariot, including the cockpit, was gone.

"I... I could have been in that..." She whispered to herself.

VegdClB.png

Just then a technician looked up from his panel.

"Sir, I may have found something."

"Yes?" Gene asked, trying to sound calm.

"I'm getting the data in from Minmus now," the tech continued. "And I think we have a second epicenter."

"Show me!" Gene and Piper called out at the same time.

Later that same day, as the sun began to set over the western mountains, Gene stood atop the administration building, along with Emiko, Piper, the Rocklady, and Harfield and Jandolin and looked out at the KSC monolith while they awaited word back from Minmus.

XZBmDPb.png

Kbx2iFA.png

Once the second epicenter had been verified, and it's location pinpointed, Gene radioed Captain Kuzzter and filled him on the situation. Kuzz and his crew were still on Minmus searching for their lost companion, Carlenna, and had felt a tremor, but were not aware it had 2 epicenters, and were soon en route to investigate.

ipOqkeB.png

2uFSJOT.png

The second epicenter was located in one of the lesser flats, and even from a height of 2000 meters Gem and Theo could make out a dark object below them coming into view, and soon saw it was casting a very distinctly rectangular shadow.

"Captain, sir, it's another Monolith," Gem called out. 

2lPaxHy.png

Yag8LW0.png

1WFLcSm.png

Not wanting to take any chances, Kuzz landed the Raptor a safe distance away and instructed everyone to remain on board while first mate Geschosskopf volunteered to investigate and make sure it was safe.

UTx2EXr.png

0yvC9SH.png

W1q9LCg.png

At first the monolith seemed the same as the others. But as he drew closer, Geo noticed this monolith was giving off a strange green glow, and suddenly he began to feel sick and dizzy, and... and.....

"Ahhhh, by the gods!" he cried out... "What are you???"

9cwtAI9.png

07n8b02.png

Before he passed out completely, Geo grabbed his jet pack controls and did his best to propel himself away from the monolith and towards the Raptor. 

"Geo.... GEO!" Kuzz yelled over the radio, "Are you all right?"

8Iza7jG.png

d7XCLvd.png

"I... I'm OK," Geo replied weakly. His head was still swimming, and he was afraid he might vomit into his helmet, but the further he got from the monolith, the better he felt. When he reached the Raptor he turned and looked at the monolith one last time.

"I... I don't know what that was... but something is terribly, terribly wrong with that one."

6sLDZTg.png

UZvbnhM.png

Back at the KSC, Gene and the rest had been listening to the events on Minmus when suddenly, and without warning, there was a brilliant flash of light next to them, and for several seconds the entire group was temporary blinded.

paIujTt.png

VGkKaFQ.png

As his eyesight began to clear, Gene heard a sudden horrified gasp next to him, and Piper began to scream hysterically!

"No..... NO.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......"

Turning to see what she was staring at, Gene felt his knees go weak. There in front of him, towering over him like some small mountain, floated a sinister looking red magic boulder.... only this one was huge, and seething with power! And something.... something was emerging from it!!!

DgAF1nC.png

mHhB8mW.png

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the Tale of Emiko Kerman, is far, far from over....

Go to Chapter 70
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

On 11/14/2016 at 1:37 PM, adsii1970 said:

Are sandboxes similarly affected? Do we have screen capture images of what these new stations look like?

We do now. I was just exploring an unknown anomaly on Kerbin, hoping it was another green meanie monolith, but found this instead:

uBtUPMz.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.