The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

6 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Why does this, for some strange reason, give me the feeling that Carlenna isn't a zombie?

No, it's safe to call her one. I wasn't really headed in that direction at first, but I bowed to popular demand, so to speak.

But keep in mind, Carlenna is my interpretation of a Kerbal Zombie... not a human zombie. I'll explain more in the coming chapters  :wink:

Has anyone noticed that the way most people play kerbal is described perfectly in the song still alive it almost completely describes science mode.:cool: Also Jim seems to have very few issues with his boosters or any other equipment like rovers or is it just clever editing!

Edited by Buzz light fear
Not enough context

2 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

Has anyone noticed that the way most people play kerbal is described perfectly in the song still alive it almost completely describes science mode.:cool: Also Jim seems to have very few issues with his boosters or any other equipment like rovers or is it just clever editing!

That is a really cute song!  I don't think I've heard it before this, but your right, it's perfect for KSP.  :D

And the one big issue I had with rovers was I built my big chariot before 1.0 came out, and it drove great on Kerbin. After 1.0, it was much too heavy for the wheels, and became garbage to try and drive. I also had an issue with the the landing gear, which lead to the munquake chapter. In that case, I did some careful editing, not to hide the issue, but to exploit it.  

There was one other big issue... Oh, yeah, the Eagle explosion wasn't planned either. It was a really nasty bug that I took full advantage of.

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

That is a really cute song!  I don't think I've heard it before this, but your right, it's perfect for KSP.  :D

And the one big issue I had with rovers was I built my big chariot before 1.0 came out, and it drove great on Kerbin. After 1.0, it was much too heavy for the wheels, and became garbage to try and drive. I also had an issue with the the landing gear, which lead to the munquake chapter. In that case, I did some careful editing, not to hide the issue, but to exploit it.  

There was one other big issue... Oh, yeah, the Eagle explosion wasn't planned either. It was a really nasty bug that I took full advantage of.

So you just weave disaster into the story I have never seen an author do something like the way you do it and it works so well. Teach me o Jim.:0.0:

10 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

So you just weave disaster into the story I have never seen an author do something like the way you do it and it works so well. Teach me o Jim.:0.0:

Thank you. But I'm not sure what I can teach you, I'm making this authoring stuff up as I go along.

I suppose the biggest thing is nothing about the rest of Emiko Station is written down, or set in stone. Early on I remember seeing a couple other authors have to give up on their stories because something in the game updated and changed, and it screwed up their plot lines. So I decided not to write everything out in advance, or get so locked into a plot that I couldn't change things if need be. So something like the eagle disaster was actually fairly easy to work in, and gave me an interesting and unique way to add much more drama with the CPR scene.

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Early on I remember seeing a couple other authors have to give up on their stories because something in the game updated and changed, and it screwed up their plot lines. 

A few brushes with this sort of thing early on are the whole reason Kerbfleet Bill can do what Kerbfleet Bill can do :) But yeah, writing interesting fiction tied to an actual mission is very, very hard and @Just Jim is great at it. Some call it  "serialized" storytelling, as was often done in the 19th century, but it's even worse than that--Dickens never had to publish his story updates in between articles from his own critics, and he never had to deal with things like his "spirit visitation/time travel" mod not getting updated :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

I'm sorry This is way off topic. (so off topic, I'm not even at the end of this thread, I don't know whats going on right now on Emiko station.)

I am catching up on all the backlogs and enjoying it immensely, when I came across this post roughly 6 months behind. 

On 4/12/2016 at 10:14 PM, Just Jim said:

Totally off-topic, and I don't care.

This evening I lost my cat, Lady Stardust.  She was 17.  Plain and simple, she died of old age. 
I'm really bummed... I'm gonna really, really miss her.   ;.;

Probably won't be online much for the next day or two.

Last week I had to do something i never thought I would ever have to do. I had to put down one of my cats. Funnily enough, though we called her Buggy, her real name (given to her by my wife) was Stardust. 

I still miss her. 

Edited by Thedrelle
changed post to thread for clarification

1 hour ago, Thedrelle said:

I'm sorry This is way off topic. (so off topic, I'm not even at the end of this thread, I don't know whats going on right now on Emiko station.)

I am catching up on all the backlogs and enjoying it immensely, when I came across this post roughly 6 months behind. 

Last week I had to do something i never thought I would ever have to do. I had to put down one of my cats. Funnily enough, though we called her Buggy, her real name (given to her by my wife) was Stardust. 

I still miss her. 

awww, I am so sorry!  I still miss my little one, too.  ;.;

2 hours ago, Torgo said:

If it wasn't for Dickens, you authors would never read this!

One of the reasons I'm still mad at my ex is when we broke up she kept my copy of Complete Ghost Stories. This is a great book for anyone that's interested. You wouldn't believe how many besides "Christmas Carol" he actually wrote.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Ghost-Stories-Wordsworth-Classics/dp/1853267341

Edited by Just Jim

Oh no...  Houston, we have a really bad problem...  :(

I just fired up the game to get some new screenshots, and I realized to my dismay that the Emiko Station career game isn't working right. Specifically, I have no KerbNet, or little green lines. And the RCS and SAS on all my ships isn't working.  So I started a new career game to compare, and sure enough, it has the Kerbnet stuff, and works fine. 

Here's a new screenshot, and as you can see, the Kerbnet icon thingie isn't even showing up.

Z3XbmKT.png

I'm definitely open to suggestions, but having been thru a few updates before, I'm not sure something like this can be fixed. If not, then I may have to start over and reproduce the game as best possible. It may take a couple weeks, but I'm not sure what else to do, except quit, and that's not an acceptable option.

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh no...  Houston, we have a really bad problem...  :(

Hey, what were we just talking about? Just weave that disaster into the story, right? Nothing an author of your caliber can't handle! :P 

But seriously, best of luck--worst case is a revert to the last 1.1.3 savefile perhaps?

Silly question: Have you enabled KerbNet for the Emiko save? (Check the in-game/in-save settings menu, even if you turned it on maybe it got toggled back off....)

As for RCS/SAS not working: More often than not I've found that to be a clock skew issue. The action groups for each ship keep track of what time they were last pressed (and SAS/RCS are action groups as far as the game cares). If that time is a) after the game clock or b) garbage, then that action group won't work. Might also be something else though. 

I've also seen the greyed out RCS/SAS thing caused by a mod.... Don't recall which. 

it looks like for some reason your time is negative, I would recommend a bit of persistomancy to fix that. also it may have to do with the fact that new modules were introduced, however in my experience these wouldn't affect the existing parts, both in the VAB and in the persistence.   

Edited by insert_name

30 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Silly question: Have you enabled KerbNet for the Emiko save? (Check the in-game/in-save settings menu, even if you turned it on maybe it got toggled back off....)

As for RCS/SAS not working: More often than not I've found that to be a clock skew issue. The action groups for each ship keep track of what time they were last pressed (and SAS/RCS are action groups as far as the game cares). If that time is a) after the game clock or b) garbage, then that action group won't work. Might also be something else though. 

I've also seen the greyed out RCS/SAS thing caused by a mod.... Don't recall which. 

I just found out how to turn it on, but now I've found a much bigger problem...

50 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hey, what were we just talking about? Just weave that disaster into the story, right? Nothing an author of your caliber can't handle! :P 

But seriously, best of luck--worst case is a revert to the last 1.1.3 savefile perhaps?

@Kuzzter ol' buddy... I'm not sure how to break it to you, but you're dead. So is everyone I had in a raptor... and the raptor ships are gone.

hfbOEHr.png.

I'm not sure if any amount of persistomancy can bring everyone back. Or if Steam will let me revert back to 1.1... or if that would make any difference.

:(

Edited by Just Jim

13 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Try the following:

1. Start a new career
2. Open the latest 1.1.3 SES save
3. Open the new career save
4. Copy the blocks containing ships, roster, contracts, and any others you notice over their counterparts in the new save
5. Load it back up in 1.2

I'll try that tomorrow. I already started a new career and moved all the ships from my 1.1.3 save into the new VAB and SPH folders. And I saw Hyperedit is now upgraded to 1.2. That'll be a huge time saver putting some of them back in place.

The biggest issue is Emiko asteroid. I've never done that much editing to a persistent file before, but I really want to save it if possible. Otherwise I have to hunt for a new one, and even with H/E it might take a while to find a class-E that big.

There was something else... Oh, yeah. I want to preserve the ultimate challenge contracts if possible.

It's going to take a little work, but one way or the other, Emiko will survive this update... :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.