This bug sounds like a feature

I_Killed_Jeb

13 hours ago, SelectHalfling0 said:

Right now kerbal roles are based off of their names, not another code. I would like them to make roles independent of names (so that you could rename your kerbals).

Not 100% true. That used to be the case, but now Kerbal roles are SET based on their names. If you edit the persistent.sfs file, you'll find there is a new entry for each Kerbal that sets their profession. You can change it there and that change will be permanent.

14 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

Um.. can we bring this "bug" back as a feature?

This could cause all sorts of mayhem, so it really is not a good idea. Also roles are indeed set persistently now.

5 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

This could cause all sorts of mayhem, so it really is not a good idea. Also roles are indeed set persistently now.

But.. but... custom kerbals*.. =(. Also, I thought you good folks were taking vacation? =)

*I know you can edit the persistence files before anyone jumps on me

This (and professions) would be a great thing for a mod. There actually used to be a mod that did it, and back then it was a real chore. Now, a mod would just1 have to change the setting and bam.

As far as renaming, the big problem is that Kerbals are referred to by name in some places, and by order in the persistent file in others. Delete a Kerbal from or add a Kerbal to the persistent file somewhere in the middle of the roster, and suddenly people are in different ships and stations. Rename one you rescued without also changing the name in the completed contract, and (IIRC, it's been a while) you can hang the game on load. Those are just the 2 issues I personally came across when trying to fiddle with this stuff, but once I kept to the 2 rules of "No changing the order" and "Change the name everywhere in the file" I never had problems.

1(Definition of just)
JUST /jəst/
adj.
How easy a non-modder feels modding is.

Edited by 5thHorseman

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

This (and professions) would be a great thing for a mod. There actually used to be a mod that did it, and back then it was a real chore. Now, a mod would just1 have to change the setting and bam.

As far as renaming, the big problem is that Kerbals are referred to by name in some places, and by order in the persistent file in others. Delete a Kerbal from or add a Kerbal to the persistent file somewhere in the middle of the roster, and suddenly people are in different ships and stations. Rename one you rescued without also changing the name in the completed contract, and (IIRC, it's been a while) you can hang the game on load. Those are just the 2 issues I personally came across when trying to fiddle with this stuff, but once I kept to the 2 rules of "No changing the order" and "Change the name everywhere in the file" I never had problems.

1(Definition of just)
JUST /jəst/
adj.
How easy a non-modder feels modding is.

Why do this?  Wouldn't it be easier to have them always identified one way or the other?

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Why do this?  Wouldn't it be easier to have them always identified one way or the other?

I would assume multiple cooks all working on the same broth, and a system that's been in the game for a very, very long time.

"JUST" tried this for the very first time tonight actually. "JUST" change Kerbanauts names in the persistent file in a save. "JUST" three Kerbanauts and changed "JUST" the first time I found them written in there. Um I "JUST" broke it.

Deleted and and installed a new copy of KSP from the zip file in the download folder.

"JUST" so scary.  

And "JUST" relieved.

Because  1.2.2 is "JUST" so good.

No bull. I am really loving it SQUAD. 

Edited by bonyetty

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Not 100% true. That used to be the case, but now Kerbal roles are SET based on their names. If you edit the persistent.sfs file, you'll find there is a new entry for each Kerbal that sets their profession. You can change it there and that change will be permanent.

Oh, cool. Didn't know that.

Anyone else noticed that the "fix" for that issue seems to be disabling renaming via the info panel completely? Both in flight and in the Tracking Station, the info panel now does nothing when I click or double-click on the ship name, whether it has a command part or not. The only possible way I have to rename vessels now is by directly clicking the probe core or command module, which is really inconvenient when the vessel doesn't have one!

1 hour ago, Wallygator said:

Sounds like a less than optimal data architecture.

You read my mind... as an Architect during the day as a paid job... and modding this game for the past 2 years. Yes, the Data architecture is more than a bit messy.
I'm not sure if that is games development normal practice? or what Architecture disciplines are actually applied in the games development industry.
In business - it's essential.

Edited by JPLRepo

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

You read my mind... as an Architect during the day as a paid job... and modding this game for the past 2 years. Yes, the Data architecture is more than a bit messy.
I'm not sure if that is games development normal practice? or what Architecture disciplines are actually applied in the games development industry.
In business - it's essential.

Typically, in the 3d graphics world, you start with the best intentions and then someone on the team hacks out a prototype... and it sticks. Now you're hosed.

10 minutes ago, numerobis said:

Typically, in the 3d graphics world, you start with the best intentions and then someone on the team hacks out a prototype... and it sticks. Now you're hosed.

Or you could go the other way and have this:

standards.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.