Diesel Rig Set

DIESEL RIG SET

This project has been a very fun filled one to say the least, the action of the suspension on the Diesel Truck is amazing, thank you Squad! The sensitivity of the steering when backing up with Trailers is much like real life. The project was not intended to be so huge, it was one of those one thing leads to another. The inspiration comes from my love for Semi Trucks since my childhood and from seeing others ideas on the forums. The highlights of this project are The Fifth Wheel Hitch and The Sliding Hinge with a thanks to @katateochi and @Majorjim! for the inspiration on these.

Diesel Truck WSC (With Sleeper Cabin)
BOowhhU.png

JtUWa8x.png

CiQilZ0.png

Operations
The Diesel Truck will steer correctly without a Driver, with a Driver you will have to Invert the Steering. The Dry Van Trailer and all other Trailers have the action group 1 is set for the Hitch. Turning with a real Truck requires slow speeds and it's the same here with the Trucks and Trailers, staying near 10 m/s and under is working. 

Diesel Truck
Craft File: Diesel Truck
Parts: 139
Mass: 6.165t
Height: 3.3m
Width: 3.2m
Length: 6.1m

Diesel Truck WSC
Craft File: Diesel Truck WSC
Parts: 153
Mass: 6.735t
Height: 4.1m
Width: 3.2m
Length: 7.2m

Dry Van Trailer
Craft File: Dry Van Trailer
Parts: 211
Mass: 8.269t
Height: 3.8m
Width: 3.6m
Length: 10.8m

Fuel Trailer
Craft File: Fuel Trailer
Parts: 77
Mass: 17.601t
Height: 4.1m
Width: 4.0m
Length: 12.0m

Gooseneck Trailer
Craft File: Gooseneck Trailer
Parts: 60
Mass: 3.747t
Height: 2.7m
Width: 4.0m
Length: 10.5m

Gooseneck Trailer WT
Craft File: Gooseneck Trailer WT
Parts: 211
Mass: 11.396t
Height: 4.7m
Width: 3.9m
Length: 12.6m

Sea Storm WT
Craft File: Sea Storm WT
Parts: 168
Mass: 21.743t
Height: 3.9m
Width: 5.0m
Length: 16.4m

Loading Dock
Craft File: Loading Dock
Parts: 64
Mass: 19.902t
Height: 2.9m
Width: 6.9m
Length: 11.8m

Loading Ramp
Craft File: Loading Ramp
Parts: 41
Mass: 3.289t
Height: 2.2m
Width: 8.4m
Length: 5.1m

Rover DRS2
Craft File: Rover DRS2
Parts: 36
Mass: 1.090t
Height: 1.2m
Width: 1.9m
Length: 3.1m

This is a first for me with a Video like this. I decided to create this behind the scenes footage with all the little happenings that go on during my projects. On this update I've built a Loading Ramp and small Rovers named Rover DRS & Rover DRS2.

Very nice trucks (and great vid too). I've also always had a like of trucks and trailers (I grew up on a farm, so part of life I guess). It's great that they work as expected in KSP, although one issue I've always had (which it looks like you've overcome) is when loading other wheeled vehicles onto trailers made out of structural panels the vehicle on the trailer starts jumping around (some kinda feedback between the panels and it's suspension). I'll have to download yours and have a look at how you've made them. Great Job Sir! 

39 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Cheers for the mention mate! I just watched the vid on YouTube.

The trucks are awesome!

Thank you!! :)

28 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Very nice trucks (and great vid too). I've also always had a like of trucks and trailers (I grew up on a farm, so part of life I guess). It's great that they work as expected in KSP, although one issue I've always had (which it looks like you've overcome) is when loading other wheeled vehicles onto trailers made out of structural panels the vehicle on the trailer starts jumping around (some kinda feedback between the panels and it's suspension). I'll have to download yours and have a look at how you've made them. Great Job Sir! 

Thank you!! :) I was experiencing the jumping also, mostly on the Fuel Trailer, I reduced the Fuel amount and it made the difference, the weight seems to be whats causing this jumping, I'm not certain of this but it's looking like it.

On 8-1-2017 at 7:53 PM, katateochi said:

Tried lowering the spring/damper settings? Especially strong dampers create this effect.

Excellent work as always @Castille7! Now I'm thinking of expanding my trucks division as well :-)

Edited by Azimech

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Tried lowering the spring/damper settings? Especially strong dampers create this effect.

Excellent work as always @Castille7! Now I'm thinking of expanding my trucks division as well :-)

Thank you!! :) I do remember trying different setting this but not sure how many combinations I've tried, probably full and zero, I will try this again at a later date.

Edited by Castille7

25 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Thank you!! :) I do remember trying different setting this but not sure how many combinations I've tried, probably full and zero, I will try this again at a later date.

Yes, full and zero are the worst :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.