eloquentJane

Doing It Constellation Style

114 posts in this topic

Working on my upgraded Orion with 2 more crew.

Ujz9NHS.png

3 people like this

I just completed the Crewed Duna Mission. That might be the most complicated mission I've ever done, but it was a lot of fun building and flying these craft. Thanks @eloquentJane! Checkout the imgur album for all of the details: http://imgur.com/a/3JTPG

9mQAp3r.png

Scoring (modded category):

• Launch Vehicles +10
  • Ares I +5
  • Ares V +5
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • Crew Mobility +1
  • Commnet +10
  • Objective +30
  • Extended Orion +8
  • Scheduled Transfers +6
  • Cargo Lander +8
  • Transfer Stages +5
  • Heat Shielding +3
  • Surface Habitat +10
  • Hab Lab +4
  • DAV +9
  • ISRU +7
  • Surface Mobility +3
  • Surface Mobility 2 +2
  • DTV +5 (the "inflatable" fairing hides a PXL-1 and PXL-9 with space for 12)
  • Nuclear DTV +5
  • Spacecraft Shipment +2
  • Mission Time +6

Total: 154

3 people like this

Congratulations @foobar, you've completed the Duna mission and have earned the relevant badge.

KBTIIpj.png

That was a pretty great mission report. You have some good vehicle designs, particularly the Duna landers.

I've been looking at the Joolian Moons challenge and I think it could do with a few more goals. The idea is that the crew should spend most of their time on the surface of Laythe (hence the requirement for the habitat there), and I have a few specific goals for the other moons regarding how many kerbals should land there, and the surface mobility devices that should be included.

I think there should be some extra things to do in the Jool system (because such a large-scale mission should include a fair amount of optional complexity). If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about what might be a good idea to add to that sub-challenge, please send me a private message about it.

Parameters for the Mios mission are pretty much done. I still need to figure out exact timings (likewise for the Dres mission actually) but I think the time limit I have now should be good enough.

I've also added a tenth challenge. It builds on to the asteroid rendezvous infrastructure again, this time to visit a komet from the Kerbal Komets mod. I haven't yet figured out the mission parameters for this one, but it's likely to be simpler than any of the interplanetary ones.

Hmm, no stock "Crewed Duna Missions". Well, let me be the first.

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, HiThere!2 said:

Hmm, no stock "Crewed Duna Missions". Well, let me be the first.

You need to do the asteroid rendezvous challenge first. The first three need to be done in order (since they pretty much represent the major phases of the Constellation program), after which the other seven can be done in any order (or as soon as I finish the mission parameters for Challenges 7, 9, and 10).

Even so, good luck with that. There's only been two entries (including my own) for the Duna challenge so far because it is very complex (as far as this challenge goes, it's only really surpassed in complexity by the extended Duna challenge and the Jool challenge), but you might be a little pushed for time if the other stock entrants have been preparing for the Duna challenge for a while.

Edited by eloquentJane

1 minute ago, eloquentJane said:

You need to do the asteroid rendezvous challenge first. The first three need to be done in order (since they pretty much represent the major phases of the Constellation program), after which the other seven can be done in any order (or as soon as I finish the mission parameters for Challenges 7, 9, and 10).

My statement still stands.

I completed the Mun Base challenge. Checkout this imgur album for all of the details: http://imgur.com/a/Ryuc1

hAGKLLV.png

General (41)

• Launch Vehicles +10
  • Ares I +5
  • Ares V +5
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • Crew Mobility +1
  • Commnet +10

Mun Base (91)

• Objective +30
  • Base Size +15 (habitat, science and pressurized rover modules)
  • Crew Quarters +8
  • Science Module +8
  • Total Mobility +8
  • Pressure Preservation +3
  • Phone Home +3 (landed on the Kerbin-facing side)
  • Power Systems +9
  • Anomaly Survey +3
  • Long-term Stay +4

Crewed Mission (50)

• Objective +20
  • Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous +8
  • Accurate Altair +7
  • Fuel Cells +2
  • Descent Module +4
  • Kerbin Departure Stage +3
  • Altair Orbital Insertion +3
  • Mun Rover +3

Total: 182

1 person likes this

Congratulations @foobar, you've completed the Mun Base challenge and earned the relevant badge.

JmpRQVF.png

As always, you have some pretty nice vehicle designs.

@eloquentJane, can you clarify the mission profile you had in mind for the Extended Duna mission? Is the intent to re-do the entirety of the Crewed Duna mission in a different biome and ship two additional cargo payloads (large rover and Ike lander)? Or is the rover intended to replace the habitat?

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, foobar said:

@eloquentJane, can you clarify the mission profile you had in mind for the Extended Duna mission? Is the intent to re-do the entirety of the Crewed Duna mission in a different biome and ship two additional cargo payloads (large rover and Ike lander)? Or is the rover intended to replace the habitat?

The former is what I had intended. The large rover is meant to be a sort of mobile base, although the fact that it does include the same requirements as the standard habitat might make the original habitation module obsolete. I think I will change the rover requirements so that it no longer requires a lab and is less restricted with regards to habitation space, so that the original habitation module does not become unnecessary.

EDIT: Rules have been modified. Rover no longer requires a lab, and its habitation requirements have been made less strict.

Edited by eloquentJane

I have completed the Extended Duna Mission. See the full album (http://imgur.com/a/gBABI) for all of the details. Here are some highlights...

The DAV lander and large mobile base rover on the Duna surface:

SDwascI.png

The Duna Transfer Vehicle:

DH9Iqmj.png

The crew on the surface near the Habitat lander with the other payloads in the background:

EEf9T7V.png

Valentina planting a flag on the Duna face:

qn2v0tD.png

4 of the crew on Ike near the Altair lander:

ifip4d0.png?1

General (41)

• Launch Vehicles +10
  • Ares I +5
  • Ares V +5
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • Crew Mobility +1
  • Commnet +10

Crewed Duna Mission (113)

• Objective +30
  • Extended Orion +8
  • Scheduled Transfers +6
  • Cargo Lander +8
  • Transfer Stages +5
  • Heat Shielding +3
  • Surface Habitat +10
  • Hab Lab +4
  • Duna Ascent Vehicle +9
  • ISRU +7
  • Surface Mobility +3
  • Surface Mobility 2 +2
  • Duna Transfer Vehicle +5
  • Nuclear DTV +5
  • Spacecraft Shipment +2
  • Mission Time +6

Extended Duna Mission (74)

• Objective +30
  • Change of Scenery +4
  • Mobile Base +10
  • Landing Systems +6
  • Anomaly Survey +3
  • Moons of Duna +10
  • Moon Lander +7
  • Moon Mobility +4

Total: 228

3 people like this

Another excellent mission @foobar. You've completed the Extended Duna Mission and earned the relevant badge.

WqlOezE.png