Galileo

[KSP 1.3] Stock Size Real Solar System [0.0.2.9]

330 posts in this topic

@OhioBob Thanks for your advice the other day on modding this to 2.5x. I spent most of my weekend fooling around with it and I'm positive I've created a franken-system :)  I was annoyed that USI-LS, TWP and KAC were calculating days and years based on a 24 hour clock while my system was running on a 12 hour clock. It threw off launch window dates compared to system dates. It also meant that life support estimates were off by a factor of 2. To fix this I've moved the system back to a 24 hour clock to align with what the mods expect. The only obvious issue was that the Earth's orbit was only half a year long, so I forced the year in Kronometer to a number of seconds equal to 1/2 of a real year.

I checked my transit times to Mars and they come out to ~133 days for a Hohmann Transfer according to TWP - I believe this is correct for quarter scale because 2 x 133 days is just under 9 months.

My question is - what did I break that I'm not thinking of? Thanks again for your advice, here's my config:

Spoiler

// Modified SSRSS config for 2.5x scale and standardize on a 24-hour clock. 

@SigmaDimensions
{
    // Base Settings

@Resize = 0.23544184586407 // Increase scale to 2.5x - tweaked to set Earth to 1500km radius
    @Rescale = 0.23544184586407 // Increase scale to 2.5x - tweaked to set Earth to 1500km radius
    @Atmosphere = 0.88312 // increased from 0.8 - Earth atmosphere ends at 85000m
    @dayLengthMultiplier = 1.0031 // Sets rotational period of earth to 1 day based on a 86400 second day

// Advanced Settings

@landscape = 2
    @geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
    @resizeBuildings = 1

@CustomSoISize = 0
    @CustomRingSize = 0

@atmoASL = 1
    @tempASL = 1
    @atmoTopLayer = 0.75
    @atmoVisualEffect = 1

@scanAltitude = 10.618333333333336685187222222223 
}

///////////////////////////////

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
    {
        @SigmaDimensions
        {
            @landscape = 1.0
            @atmoTopLayer = 0.6875
        }
    }
}

///////////////////////////////

@Kronometer:FINAL
{
    %useHomeDay = false
    %useHomeYear = false
    %useLeapYears = false

%CustomTime
    {
        %Year // year length in seconds
        {
            %value = 15778476 // half of the 31556952 seconds in a real Earth year
        }
        %Day // day length in seconds
        {
            %value = 86400 // 24 hour day
        }
    }
}

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigmaBinary]
{
    @Body[Charon]
    {
        SigmaBinary
        {}
    }
}

@EVE_CLOUDS:FINAL
{
    @OBJECT,*
    {
        @altitude *= 4.602 // Need to confirm this
    }
}

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

@OhioBob Thanks for your advice the other day on modding this to 2.5x. I spent most of my weekend fooling around with it and I'm positive I've created a franken-system :)  I was annoyed that USI-LS, TWP and KAC were calculating days and years based on a 24 hour clock while my system was running on a 12 hour clock. It threw off launch window dates compared to system dates. It also meant that life support estimates were off by a factor of 2. To fix this I've moved the system back to a 24 hour clock to align with what the mods expect. The only obvious issue was that the Earth's orbit was only half a year long, so I forced the year in Kronometer to a number of seconds equal to 1/2 of a real year.

I checked my transit times to Mars and they come out to ~133 days for a Hohmann Transfer according to TWP - I believe this is correct for quarter scale because 2 x 133 days is just under 9 months.

My question is - what did I break that I'm not thinking of? Thanks again for your advice, here's my config:

I understand the problem with having a non-standard number of hours in a day.  I've experienced some of the same problems that you have with some mods not recognizing that the length of day has changed.  I discussed this with @Sigma88 and he told me that there are hardcoded variables used by KSP that define the length of the day and year.  Kronometer changes those variables.  So if a mod uses those variables in its calculations, it should work with Kronometer.  However, if a mod has its own hardcoded numbers (i.e. it assumes the day is 6-hours or 24-hours long), then it won't be compatible with Kronometer.  Those mods should change their programming to use the stock variables.  (KAC is one of the mods Sigma88 told me should work with Kronometer, so if it's not, I don't know what's going on.)

When using Sigma Dimensions / Kronometer, I have always made the length of the day equal to the solar day, and the length of the year equal to the orbital period.  I have no idea what might break by doing otherwise.

Edited by OhioBob
1 person likes this

Is the sun supposed to be a lot smaller than stock in this mod? It seems very tiny to me, almost like a distant star. I haven't messed with any configs and this is the second clean install where the sun seems way out of proportion. Not sure what's going on but any help would be appreciated. I would like to get my sun back to how it was with Galileo's sun flare I have installed. Thanks!

Here is what it looks like now (yes, that is the sun, not a star):

IOD8JKl.jpg

ygK2mAt.png

Here is what it looked like before(how I would like it):

GAqJhD2.png

V3QzM4r.png

1 person likes this

I've finished a few changes to the SSRSS system and want to make them available for others to try out. Here are the changes made by each of 4 configs:

• SSRSS_Sigma2.5x24Hour_Tyko.cfg - Scales the system to 2.5x (approx 1/4 size of real solar system) to make it more challenging and bring the Delta-V requirements more in alignment with the capabilities of Stock parts - it's much more difficult to SSTO. To use this, replace the SSRSS_Sigma.cfg file in SSRSS/Configs.
  • KSC_Brazil_1x.cfg - relocates the KSC to Northern Brazil. If you want your Kerbals to speak Portuguese and launch with 0.0 inclination, this change is for you
  • KSC_Brazil_Sigma2.5x.cfg does the same move, but is designed to work with the Sigma2.5x config above.
  • Stockalike_Inclinations_Tyko.cfg - builds on @Galileo's changes. His adjusted the planets to stockalike inclinations. Mine also adjusts the moons to be much closer to co-planar with the system by using real world inclinations for them. This replaces Galileo's version. I might change it so that it's just an add-on mod and doesn't require the other to be disabled.

I might consider publishing these as an official mod, assuming I got @Galileo and @OhioBob's blessings.

The files can be downloaded below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6iw9qvwqs12mgu/AAB7pzxmhQBO4KGxBZvkiuBka?dl=0

By the way, in case you're wondering why I would make the game more challenging by scaling it up, but less challenging with my inclination changes...I did it because I launch all my flights manually and adding an inclination change to almost every launch wasn't interesting for me. Conversely, the 2.5x scaling gives me a chance to build rockets that look and behave a lot more like real historical rockets while still using Stock parts. Any feedback is welcome :)

Edited by Tyko
1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I might consider publishing these as an official mod, assuming I got @Galileo and @OhioBob's blessings.

You really need to get @Galileo's blessing.  I just helped out with some of the sigma settings.  Galileo is the author/owner of all the configs.

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Conversely, the 2.5x scaling gives me a chance to build rockets that look and behave a lot more like real historical rockets while still using Stock parts. Any feedback is welcome :)

Although I haven't played KSP in a couple months, my last career game was a 2.5x version of GPP.  I agree that it's a nice size.  Getting to orbit and going interplanetary just seems a little too easy in stock size (1x).  For GPP I wanted something that required the use of rockets that looked and behaved more lifelike*, could be played with stock parts, but was not too difficult.  2.5x seems to fit the bill nicely.

* I wanted it so that I needed to use at least two stages to get to orbit, and three stages to go interplanetary.

Edited by OhioBob
1 person likes this