What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Realised I'm too drunk and ineffectual to be of value and wisely quit the game before destroying anything I'll want later...

I've been there. My sympathies, don't forget to drink some water too.

58 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Realised I'm too drunk and ineffectual to be of value and wisely quit the game before destroying anything I'll want later...

A couple drinks brings out some interesting ideas, but more than that and the likelyhood that I'll forget say... parachutes, increases exponentially.

Just now, kraden said:

A couple drinks brings out some interesting ideas, but more than that and the likelyhood that I'll forget say... parachutes, increases exponentially.

That or seeing if a Kerbal in a spacesuit can withstand Mach 6 for any length of time (they can't).

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

Make another install when you are sober for when you are drunk. You`ll not have anything in there you care about so it will be OK.

Put it on the desktop so you see it first.

I sent my horizontal base/rover lander to Duna today and made a successful landing. 

FLx93yd.jpg

Vwf5Hfb.jpg

hVukRLu.jpg

Landed in the middle of a duststorm.

E4eSDf8.jpg

The design was pretty challenging and interesting to attempt. Requirements are that the center of mass cannot shift as the tanks empty, and must be perfectly lined up with the center of thrust for both the inline poodle engine and the 4 landing terriers. 

qSUSHLH.jpg

Edited by BadOaks

20 minutes ago, BadOaks said:

E4eSDf8.jpg

The design was pretty challenging and interesting to attempt. Requirements are that the center of mass cannot shift as the tanks empty, and must be perfectly lined up with the center of thrust for both the inline poodle engine and the 4 landing terriers. 

A very nice design. Constellation-inspired, right? I've been wanting to try a design like that for a while. Yours makes clever use of the new fairing trusses, I'll have to keep that in mind as an aesthetic technique.

14 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

A very nice design. Constellation-inspired, right? I've been wanting to try a design like that for a while. Yours makes clever use of the new fairing trusses, I'll have to keep that in mind as an aesthetic technique.

Yep! I wanted to do something like the below but couldn't find a way to include a MAV that was big enough and pointed the right way. It would be super useful on a laythe mission because then the crew could descend in a high-efficiency jet plane that didn't have to be an SSTO. Maybe I'll try using IR parts to rotate the MAV vertical.zSMXXdJ.jpg

26 minutes ago, BadOaks said:

Yep! I wanted to do something like the below but couldn't find a way to include a MAV that was big enough and pointed the right way.

I was under the impression that the Constellation program was supposed to use two landers like this, one to carry the MAV and one for the habitation stuff.

25 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I was under the impression that the Constellation program was supposed to use two landers like this, one to carry the MAV and one for the habitation stuff.

True, but the problem I was having was with mounting the MAV vertically, that is, perpendicular to inline so that it's facing upwards and can use it's engines during landing. The 3.5m fairings just don't provide a lot of room room that direction for an ascent vehicle, though there's plenty of space inline!

13 minutes ago, Thingymajigy said:

Just to make sure the tanker has enough fuel to refuel planes I refueled the tanker with another tanker :D

caGZWX7.png

But now how will you refuel the second tanker???

Edited by BadOaks

6 minutes ago, BadOaks said:

True, but the problem I was having was with mounting the MAV vertically, that is, perpendicular to inline so that it's facing upwards and can use it's engines during landing. The 3.5m fairings just don't provide a lot of room room that direction for an ascent vehicle, though there's plenty of space inline!

I can see your point. Although I suppose that's part of the challenge of designing space exploration vehicles.

Also, why not extend the fairing slightly beyond the 3.75m base diameter? I expect you could go to about 4.25m without it looking overly odd (although if you're trying to mimic the launch vehicle too then I can see there being more aesthetic restrictions).

In seriousness I've nearly completed the next step of my tank mod project. In starting to develop support for USI LS I found myself needing to branch out and experiment on a specialized clone of a crew cabin (I hadn't anticipated the habitation mechanic in that LS). Getting far enough to show pics now is a great checkpoint so here are pics. :) 

In story, for your amusement if you'll have it:

Someone (very likely full of herself) at Deep Sky flipped her biscuits (...and all of the chocolate chip ones and the oreos in the upper staff room :/ ) at the standards set by C7 Aerospace, the stock manufacturer, for crew cabins, especially the Mk2 one. Apparently just in time for this romantic-themed holiday some Deep Sky engineers were assembled by another upper staffer under the banner of quelling a woman's rage........and then drowning her in heaps of fragrant and edible shrubbery.

Will the folks at USI find delight in the grandeur of this endeavor or will they demand that this experimental modded cabin be scuttled and the plants and technology be returned?

eo4acV2.jpg

Spoiler

And the extra lights returned too.

0O83H1s.jpg

On 2/13/2017 at 1:25 AM, DBT85 said:

Took on a Rescue contract which has the stranded Kerbal out in an elliptical orbit out near Mun. 

Got out there and performed a perfect rescue only to realise that, true to form, I didn't have enough fuel to complete my retrograde burn to get back down to Kerbin.

So in a first for myself, I plotted 2 manoeuvres that gave me an intercept with Mun which in turn threw me back toward Kerbin. I was then left with 25m/s to spare. Mission saved!!

Good on ya!  Gravity wells can be your friend.  :cool: