[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

oh my god, thank you :D

sorry ksp, but your going to have to deal with one more mod...

*hopes ksp doesnt crash*

LOL...

sometimes KSP would go insane in memory leak when using mod parts with .png texture... wish u luck bro

LOL...

sometimes KSP would go insane in memory leak when using mod parts with .png texture... wish u luck bro

really? ,I have no issues using .PNG.........it's only when I use .TGA is when memory usage goes extreme.

Just the sort of mod I've been waiting for, excellent work. I agree that interstage fairings would be nice though, as the interstage adapters for KW are often too short. Different styles of fairings would also be cool, like instead of just one curve you could have it so that the sides are straight and then at the top it curves into the aerodynamic shape, like how the ones from KW Rocketry look like. But yeah, it's definitely great to see that procedural fairings can be done properly. This and procedural wings enhance the building experience greatly.

Edited by whatisthisidonteven

Different styles of fairings would also be cool, like instead of just one curve you could have it so that the sides are straight and then at the top it curves into the aerodynamic shape, like how the ones from KW Rocketry look like.

My fairings have three parts: base "cone", middle cylinder and nose "cone". The "cones" can be real cones or curved (you can adjust shape in side part .cfg).

However, if your payload radius is smaller than the base, the base "cone" is not used, so the cylinder goes from the base to the nose.

Currently, the base "cone" is straight, and the nose "cone" is curved, but it can be adjusted in .cfg and you can make your shapes and textures for side fairings, I just have no tutorial/documentation for this yet.

Another Woot! from me.

Very nice.

I do have one question. First probe I enclosed with this fairing, there are some antenna dishes near the edge of the 'arms' of the probe, 4 arms, 2 dishes (top/bottom) of each arm. Each arm is the same length and distance from the core. When the fairings stage, the 2 downward facing dishes along the seam (I think) are ripped from the probe. No damage to any other part.

Is this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

I do have one question. First probe I enclosed with this fairing, there are some antenna dishes near the edge of the 'arms' of the probe, 4 arms, 2 dishes (top/bottom) of each arm. Each arm is the same length and distance from the core. When the fairings stage, the 2 downward facing dishes along the seam (I think) are ripped from the probe. No damage to any other part.

Is this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

There are some issues with fairing ejection sometimes. Could you post a picture or .craft so I can test it?

My fairings have three parts: base "cone", middle cylinder and nose "cone". The "cones" can be real cones or curved (you can adjust shape in side part .cfg).

However, if your payload radius is smaller than the base, the base "cone" is not used, so the cylinder goes from the base to the nose.

Currently, the base "cone" is straight, and the nose "cone" is curved, but it can be adjusted in .cfg and you can make your shapes and textures for side fairings, I just have no tutorial/documentation for this yet.

Oh, I see. It'd be nice if the base also acted as a decoupler though, is there a way to do that?

Edited by whatisthisidonteven

Is it possible to do some kind of procedural interstage or shroud? Preferably without a decoupler.

I've been trying to build reusable rockets lately and the KW interstages are never quite the right height, same goes for the AEIS ones (they're also often slightly too thin). They also tend to be very heavy when one is not using the decoupler functionality.

You can make your own config changes to add KW interstages of varying height. You only need to change a few values (primarily changing the scale value in the y-direction), and you can custom fit your payload / engines.

A procedural approach would be much better - the simple way to do it would be to base the height on the object directly above the base plate in the stack (assuming it is attached to the bottom of an engine). Having to use a second part to denote the top of the interstage would add to the part count, but it would allow more customizable placement. Not sure if it'd be possible to place a base plate, and then click on a part in the stack to indicate "cover everything from the base plate to this part (inclusive)", but that would be the most flexible from a user perspective.

You should let us to select (button or two) to pick a type of fairing we want to use

FdAUIO6.png

Made with uberskill in mspaint

If you use a small base than what is at the bottom you can get a type 2.

uvM2B2E.png

Seems to work most wonderfully.

This is one of my formerlly ball-o-garbage style solar array kits, containing 4 solar panel and truss assemblies on a carrier with an installation tug.

It looks a little awkward when wrapped in a fairing, but overall I like the effect anyway because it is nice and smooth in flight.

DYJ had one working long ago, but it was buggy and never released to the public. So far I haven't managed to break yours, so congrats on a good release.

I actually mentioned this a couple of days ago as a possible feature for NovaPunch. Awesome stuff, thanks :D

EDIT: Okay I tried these on a quick test craft and they work okay but for one snag. They flipped around and bumped the outside of the craft and broke off 2 f the 4 landing legs. I think they need to have a little less violent separation force! :)

Edited by MDBenson

FAR compatibility report:

It doesn't work with FAR for now (payload is not shielded). Looks like FAR doesn't expect the model to change and uses only original one you see in VAB icon.

I'm going to rebuild FAR from source and try a few things.

Most likely, the fix will need changes to both plug-ins (mine and FAR), so I'll contact FAR's author when I'll have a working fix.

Very awesome mod, can't wait for this to be stock. I will be waiting and watching for interstage fairings to come out before I download though my apollo rocket (and everyone elses) is in dire need of them :)

Also, simple interstage fairings (just a cylinder or truncated cone) should be easy to make, so I'll look into it after FAR and ejection fixes.

Yeah, I didn't expect someone to create working procedural fairings so quickly. I think that simply making the "determine fairing size" a public method that this plugin can call should solve the problem.

Until then, you can try removing the "payload" and "fairing" tags from the name and have the FARPayloadFairingModule manually removed and added every time the fairing is re-sized. It's clunky, but it's a quick work-around.

This is probably the single most amazing idea for this game ever, i have already used them for literally every mission i have flown since i downloaded it. You should try to make an inline version too which would be used for saturn v style launchers to hide the lander but only show the command/service module :cool:

This is probably the single most amazing idea for this game ever, i have already used them for literally every mission i have flown since i downloaded it. You should try to make an inline version too which would be used for saturn v style launchers to hide the lander but only show the command/service module :cool:

Just logged in just to say the same thing. Ideally the fairing should be able to end in an open aperture, fitting around or connecting to a part such as a fuel tank, so that you could make a rocket with a "bulge" in the middle holding your ugly lem /rover etc and still have the command module sticking out. (or mount the fairing up side down for additional coolness) If this could be made to work like the struts, but with a procedural+structurally connecting fairing i think i'll be in nerdvana.

/C

Edit: had a follow on thought.

Edited by Cherenkov