[1.1.x] CoolRockets! Cryo and Launch Particle FX

sarbian

Do you like it?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• No. It slows down my machine at launch. I need my CPU cycles elsewhere.
    • No. I don't like the engine effects.
    • No. I don't like the tank effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the engine effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the tank effects.
    • Yes. It even runs smoothly.
    • What is this all about?
    • I'd like to use this in my mod.
    • I'd like to contribute somehow.

Woukld you send me all you got until now? Ican give the quad nozzles a try.

Sure, here it is. That is the current state of all the working engines and tanks (-exhausts. You can see I started with the first one, but it's got two nozzles, so it didn't really work. Also, as I said, the placement needs to be a bit more precise). I don't know if I bothered with fixing the quads because they were so difficult to even get working. Like, in the VAB, they might sometimes have 3 or 4 effects, but on the launchpad, you only get two, and they're in different places than the VAB effects (you'll notice it's the same on the 1m twin nozzle - in the VAB, the exhaust looks ok, but on the launchpad, it's reversed and off to one side).

All I really need from you is a way to make more than two effects in 0.3.. I can do placement and everything myself, but it gets frustrating when when what I see in the VAB isn't necessarily what'll be seen on the launchpad. If the ARM engines/tanks want to play nicely, I'll sort them out now (well, apart from the engine cluster). Also, I found a conflict too: whenever something gets highlighted by the Editor Part Highlighter, the effects no longer work in the VAB, nor on the pad. Not sure why.

@T10M101: thank you! Yeah, I think I copy/pasted a fair amount of the framework because it was easier than writing it all out from scratch myself, so thank you for that too. Side note: if the placements are correct, then RSS engines are biiiiiiiiiig...

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

dtobi, I've gotten some reports of incompatibility problems with people using my LazTekCoolRockets.cfg with the LazTek pack without RSS installed. It is setup for RSS users and appears to not like it when there is no RSS, so I think it would be best if you could remove it from the main download.

Hey guys,

So, I don`t know if this will help much, but I was trying to get the effects in for the ARM-patch Engines, and I also ran into that "only 2 effects at a time" thing. The thing is, the game somehow doesn`t recognize effects that are numbered higher than 2. I tried to add the effects to the cluster engine, and it would only show me the 2 effects that have their name end in 1 and 2. So I tried around a bit with the naming, and the only thing that ever loads are the effects named "PreLaunchEffectEngine1" and "PreLaunchEffectEngine2". So I tried using those twice each. Result: In the VAB the effect works as it should, on all 4 nozzles:

CMY6WIL.jpg

3oegWDk.jpg

But on the launchpad it adds the effects with the same name together to one, adding up all the parameters:

HQ7xYpB.jpg

So, I guess the game really doesn`t recognize the effects if they aren`t numbered 1 or 2, why ever, I`m no expert of any sorts on this...

But I did get it for the other big Engine:

tRauha9.jpg

@PART[Size3AdvancedEngine]
{

MODEL
{
model = NASAmission/Parts/Size3AdvancedEngine/Size3AdvancedEngine
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
}

MODEL
{
model = CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m/model
position = 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
scale = 1, 1, 1
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
name = KM_PreLaunchEffect
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1
checkBottomNode = true

width = 0.5
height = 20
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -0.6
zOffset = 0.1
numP = 40
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
size = 1.8
}
}

And the big liquid boosters too, but of course without the exhausts, since it won`t do more than 2 effects:

V20Em5L.jpg

@PART[Size2LFB]
{

MODEL
{
model = NASAmission/Parts/Size2LFB/Size2LFB
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
}

MODEL
{
model = CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m/model
position = 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
parent = thrustTransform
}

MODULE
{
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1
checkBottomNode = false

width = 0.1
height = 10
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -3
zOffset = 1.2
numP = 25
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
size = 1.5
}

MODULE
{
effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine2
checkBottomNode = false

width = 0.1
height = 10
xOffset = 0
yOffset = -3
zOffset = -1.2
numP = 25
speedX = 0
speedY = -0.2
speedZ = 0
size = 1.5
}

}

I hope someone figures out how to get more than 2 effects to work.

Flipped through the earlier pages and didn't see any mention of "too many engines getting cooled". Forgive me if this question has already been asked:

Is there a way to limit the cooling to just the engines on the first and/or second stage? I have some engines that face the horizon at launch (they're up in the tenth stage, etc) and the coolrockets FX just look goofy coming from those engines, slowly billowing out to the sides... upon launch, the ice crystals then cascade horizontally! :sticktongue:

I love the hot/coolrockets but that one detail is buggin' me. Suggestions?

Flipped through the earlier pages and didn't see any mention of "too many engines getting cooled". Forgive me if this question has already been asked:

Is there a way to limit the cooling to just the engines on the first and/or second stage? I have some engines that face the horizon at launch (they're up in the tenth stage, etc) and the coolrockets FX just look goofy coming from those engines, slowly billowing out to the sides... upon launch, the ice crystals then cascade horizontally! :sticktongue:

I love the hot/coolrockets but that one detail is buggin' me. Suggestions?

So, I think I found the reason for the only 2 effects thing on the engines. If you look at the model.mu file in CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m then (if you open it in the editor) it has "PreLaunchEffectEngine1" and "PreLaunchEffectEngine2" in there, which probably means the names are defined there, so any other names (numbering them 3 and 4 e.g.) won`t do anything. Now, this is complete speculation on my part, I have litterally no idea if that has anything to do with it, and since we can`t edit .mu files we can`t really try it.

I updated to 0.4. I fixed the four nozzle problem and added the FX for the Nasa engines (thanks to WWEdeadman). Would someone confirm if it works for them.

A very much needed mod. Thank you for that.

Howerver, would it be possible to make the prelaunch-effect leave a trail behinf like engines, or simply let the effect dissapear immediatly after launch?

Scondly, would anyone be so kinde as to make a config for KWR with default Kerbin?

Very much appriciated.

Scondly, would anyone be so kinde as to make a config for KWR with default Kerbin?

I did here, although that was made before the quad nozzle bug was fixed so some engines don't have the exhaust effects. But, every tank and nozzle (aside from quad nozzles) are working fine, just pastes those contents into an cfg file and you're good to go (or rather should be.. is this where I say I'm not responsible for any game-breaking bugs after you install this bit?). Have fun!

Hello, after install I'm having the strange issue that I can't press any button in the Esc menu after I have docket or pressed [ or ]. The only thing to do for me then is to alt + F4 out of KSP. Could you help me please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is an updated modulemanager config file to add CoolRockets to KW Rocketry engines and tanks, based off the version posted earlier by ObsessedWithKSP, integrating the 4-rocket fix. Includes all engines except the 2.5m Service engine, and all tanks except the 3-2 and 2-1 adapter parts. I have also removed the second of the tank-ice effects because I don't like having double-buttons cluttering the context menu, and I prefer the first effect visually.

dtobi, how likely is it that you'll be able to change the engine cryo effect to end when its engine is activated? Everything about this mod is beautiful and necessary, I just hope the timing can be sorted out so there aren't those few seconds where I have both cryogenic fog and rocketfire coming from the same engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.