Spice Launch System [SLS] 0.74

maccollo

Aaaah my eyes! My eyes! It's so beautiful!!! Details, details, details everywhere! :o Take all my rep! Oh wait. I can't give you reputation, I gave you too much! Sorry! ;(

No rep laundering allowed on this forum! Thanks anyway! I hope I don't have to reduce the triangle count to much. There's only supposed to be one of these present at any given time, but 100 k is still really high.

Sub par being a very subjective term. Looks great to me! I assume that we're to use the ARM stock part for the core engines for now?

Indeed. The ARM engine block in RO works well enough as a placeholder, although the amount of thrust is a tad low, so you have to fight gravity just a little bit more. It seems like it uses the 104% thrust level, when the RS-25 on the SLS will actually run at 109%.

Edited by maccollo

Still having a hard time getting to grips with the config system. Spent a big chunk of today trying to to get the EUS into the game, however persistance payed off!

I wanted to trigger the extendable nozzle when the engines were activates, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, so for now it's an action group. It's also missing RCS, but at least it can throw things beyond LEO now =D

That's really awesome. :) I wasn't expecting you to go so far as to create extendable nozzles! That's really taking the extra step. A few questions:

1. How do you attach the RS-25 cluster to the core stage? I was attaching it then using the offset tool to align it, but are you doing it differently?

2. Not relating to your mod, but which version of RVE are you using? I looked at pingopete's GitHub and saw he has a 0.90 repository, but he also has the older ones that I noticed are larger in size. A bit confused on this. And which version of EVE are you using: released versions or overhaul? And lastly, are you using RVE with the current version of RSS, or an older version?

Cheers! :)

I think the KOSMOS plugin, made by MoarDV, allows you to tie an animation to an enginve ignition. It also allows for built in vernier thrusters on the engines and roll using gimbal.

BDAnimationModules was recommended to me to perform that function, which appears to be be a very low overhead functionality mod.

That's really awesome. :) I wasn't expecting you to go so far as to create extendable nozzles! That's really taking the extra step. A few questions:

1. How do you attach the RS-25 cluster to the core stage? I was attaching it then using the offset tool to align it, but are you doing it differently?

2. Not relating to your mod, but which version of RVE are you using? I looked at pingopete's GitHub and saw he has a 0.90 repository, but he also has the older ones that I noticed are larger in size. A bit confused on this. And which version of EVE are you using: released versions or overhaul? And lastly, are you using RVE with the current version of RSS, or an older version?

Cheers! :)

Thank you!

Currently I'm using the offset tool, but when I model the engine cluster the shroud will wrap around the dome of the tank, just like the intertank does.

I'm not sure which version of the RSS EVE that I'm using. It is definitely one of the older versions.

Ok, update 0.3 is out!

I realised after I pushed it out that the mass and propellant volume for the EUS is incorrect because I had used an out of date source, it should actually be about 20 tonnes more massive, with about the same fuel fraction.

I was still able to exceed the advertised TLI performance by about 5 tonnes, so that's nice :)

Wow, this is awesome! Probably among the best modelling I've ever seen! As well as the textures! But alas, I don't play with RO. Maybe when everything is modeled and done you can include a config that makes the core tank and boosters fit stock sizes? Maybe have the core stage 3.75m and the boosters would probably be like 1.85m. It's not a stock size but it might work well.

Holy makerels, there! I tried the EUS/Core Tank on my RSS/RO install, and it's great!

Anybody has a config to resize the EUS/Core Tank and engines to Stock scale (3.75)?

Cheers, flamerboy67664/SpaceEagle

Add a TweakScale module to it's config file

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = free

}

or

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

scaleFactors = 2.5, 3.75, 5.0

scaleNames = 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m

}

Wow, this is awesome! Probably among the best modelling I've ever seen! As well as the textures! But alas, I don't play with RO. Maybe when everything is modeled and done you can include a config that makes the core tank and boosters fit stock sizes? Maybe have the core stage 3.75m and the boosters would probably be like 1.85m. It's not a stock size but it might work well.

Make that 1.875 meters. Both HGR and Tantares already use that scale. However, I'd actually like the core stage to be 5m, since that lies much closer to the 64 % scale that is usually used. This would fit with the Taurus HCV or the CHAKA MONKEY Orion, which are both 3.75 meters. 2.5 meters is too small for an Orion.

Great work! Just curious, before I go adding this to my RO/RSS install, are those upper stage engines separate from the mounting? That would be ideal as they look fantastic and would be great single, or double, or quad mounted.

H6kXiOn.jpg

Great work! Just curious, before I go adding this to my RO/RSS install, are those upper stage engines separate from the mounting?

They are :) The triangle count is silly high at the moment (20k), so don't cluster to many of them.

Well really I was just going on the scale of the Aerojet Kerbodyne mod combined with SDHI. It goes from the capsule of 2.5 metres to 3.75 metres. The real Orion is around four metres around, isn't it? So 2.5 is a pretty good size.

IRL Orion is 5 meters however the fairing is 5.3 which is why you see the spacecraft adapter part between the DCSS/ICPS upper stage of SLS and Delta IV and the capsule stack.

Great work! Just curious, before I go adding this to my RO/RSS install, are those upper stage engines separate from the mounting? That would be ideal as they look fantastic and would be great single, or double, or quad mounted.

http://i.imgur.com/H6kXiOn.jpg

I spent a moment licking this image

Well really I was just going on the scale of the Aerojet Kerbodyne mod combined with SDHI. It goes from the capsule of 2.5 metres to 3.75 metres. The real Orion is around four metres around, isn't it? So 2.5 is a pretty good size.

Nah. The Orion at 64 % scale would be 3.2 meters, which places it closer to 3.75m than to 2.5m. I think that 2.5 meters is too small - it would get really cramped up over time. The SLS at 64 % scale would be 5.37 meters, so 5 meters isn't too much of a stretch there. Of course, this will result in a really large rocket for KSP purposes, so it might be smart to make the SLS tank be filled with "CryoFuel" or something like that, which has a lower density than LiquidFuel, thus simulating the actual hydrogen fuel used in the SLS.

Add a TweakScale module to it's config file

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = free

}

or

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

scaleFactors = 2.5, 3.75, 5.0

scaleNames = 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m

}

You'd have to use freescale, or rescale the parts down, as attempting to use the scaleFactors doesn't work. .300m is too large to make a 3.75m part when rescaled.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wondering why work stopped on this mod, I'm currently on vacation in Tanzania. Spent 5 days climbing to the top of mount Kilimanjaro. Got altitude sickness and suffered total energy depletion. 0/10, would not climb again. The safari was very enjoyable though! Now I'm at a hotel resort in Zanzibar where I will spend the next 6 days. After that I will go back to Sweden and I will be able to continue working on the mod :)

For anyone wondering why work stopped on this mod, I'm currently on vacation in Tanzania. Spent 5 days climbing to the top of mount Kilimanjaro. Got altitude sickness and suffered total energy depletion. 0/10, would not climb again. The safari was very enjoyable though! Now I'm at a hotel resort in Zanzibar where I will spend the next 6 days. After that I will go back to Sweden and I will be able to continue working on the mod :)

That sounds like the most epic vacation ever... 420/10 Would fly there, if jet lag didn't exist (God damn you jet lag!). It ruins so many vacations, we NEED Universal Time to be the global standard (I obviously avoided the obviously obvious pun :rolleyes:), like in 3001: The Final Odyssey, which is actually my least favorite book in the 2001: A Space Odyssey series, I'd probably say either 2010: Odyssey Two or 2061: Odyssey Three are my favorites (I like the latter more). I apologize to the mods (you guys are the BEST!, the forums wouldn't be anything without you wonderful people! :D) for the off-topic stuff, just one thing leads to another. But hey, I'm only Human/Kerbal, not incapable of error (couldn't resist that reference :wink:).

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.