[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Hey Blackrack, I noticed a minor change to the sky/orbit rim since the last version or so..

A few versions back the atmosphere was completely smooth and uniform against the horizon like here:

BfOOTjz.png

This is something I love about scatterer as it also adds a much smoother gradient of colours to the haze as opposed to the low-bit look of the stock atmosphere ( a harsh white-the green- then blue).

However since the recent version I noticed my PQS atmosphere rim looks as though it's almost gone back to that low stock fidelity, also varying noticeably in exposure on the horizon around POV, as shown below:

FcBNK3r.png 

^^ here you can see the almost beached out whites on the left side not so much on the right,

lip9Ut3.png

Here is another angle from the same situation; the rim effect is much to low in this region despite being on the same settings.

It's not massive but the contrary was something I loved about scatterer that fixed the ugly stock atmo look :(

Edited by pingopete

33 minutes ago, pingopete said:

Hey Blackrack, I noticed a minor change to the sky/orbit rim since the last version or so..

A few versions back the atmosphere was completely smooth and uniform against the horizon like here:

This is something I love about scatterer as it also adds a much smoother gradient of colours to the haze as opposed to the low-bit look of the stock atmosphere ( a harsh white-the green- then blue).

However since the recent version I noticed my PQS atmosphere rim looks as though it's almost gone back to that low stock fidelity, also varying noticeably in exposure on the horizon around POV, as shown below: 

^^ here you can see the almost beached out whites on the left side not so much on the right,

Here is another angle from the same situation; the rim effect is much to low in this region despite being on the same settings.

It's not massive but the contrary was something I loved about scatterer that fixed the ugly stock atmo look :(

This should be due to the new "draw atmo on top of EVE clouds". Test if it doesn't happen without it.

If it doesn't then we're all good, I'm planning to make modified versions of the EVE cloud shaders with the scattering done directly inside them and revert the scatterer sky to how it was, that should look as natural as it gets.

I think I'v found a bug... I was about to arrive at a station with a small craft, I have gone to map view to refine the approach, when I switched back, the game freezed... no error message, no warning, no log entries... just freezed... I wondered for a minute what have I changed in the game to trigger that... I realize I have updated scatterer... I removed it from the game... the thing just went fine... I installed it again, reloaded the save... went to map view.. switched back... game freeze.. :P

here... the save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97iz3g6n8n8u1ue/scattererbug_quicksave.zip?dl=0

On 3/14/2016 at 0:49 PM, luizopiloto said:

I think I'v found a bug... I was about to arrive at a station with a small craft, I have gone to map view to refine the approach, when I switched back, the game freezed... no error message, no warning, no log entries... just freezed... I wondered for a minute what have I changed in the game to trigger that... I realize I have updated scatterer... I removed it from the game... the thing just went fine... I installed it again, reloaded the save... went to map view.. switched back... game freeze.. :P

here... the save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97iz3g6n8n8u1ue/scattererbug_quicksave.zip?dl=0

More than just your save file would be important in figuring out what caused your bug. Are you running stock or RSS, are you in Linux or Window, DX9 DX11 or OpenGL, etc.

For example, I'm building up a new RSS install on Windows, currently running DX11 and I got a full lock up on hitting the water. I haven't seen that issue before (because I rarely hit the water, except on a capsule return, but I'm taking note of my settings so I can note what was the same and what was different next time I have the issue, if it occurs again.

On 3/13/2016 at 8:10 PM, Zlodeevi4 said:

http://imgur.com/a/uDJoO   on shader water = no sunlight,no water, glow 360       http://imgur.com/a/H9yw9   off shader water= sunlight, standart water, and  glow 360,:mad:  how do I make it so that wouldn't be that stupid glow right through and that would have been a good water shaders????? :huh:  

On 3/14/2016 at 3:55 PM, Zlodeevi4 said:

First off, what rescale mod is that that you're using and have you tried with just a stock game? Second, you have enabled the super secret craft_WaveInteractions flag (which is secret for a reason, it doesn't work) and it's causing issues, disable it in the same way you enabled it.

On 3/14/2016 at 5:49 PM, luizopiloto said:

As stratochief said, this isn't enough for me to find what the issue is, so all I can say is keep playing until you find some kind of pattern, one doomed space station doesn't say much.

So I did some decent testing *pats self on back*

Scatterer V0.0235 looks great in RSS with DX11. The ocean works as intended and looks excellent. The PQS/SS transition is a little rough, but it has been that way for at least a few versions back and isn't a huge concern for me. I just shorten it to a 2km window at 100km myself. 

With OpenGL I get that static-y effect on the water that @blackrack said looked like a mipmap issue, and the sunflare doesn't work. I also once in a while get the purple blip like in davidy12's most recent picture there. I have confirmed my graphics card settings have nothing special set. The water has always appeared this way for me in OpenGL since scatterer started modifying the ocean appearance. Link. I tried all various KSP settings (fullscreen on and off, -popupwindow, various in-game AA settings) and nothing changed. I also tried this version with just Stock KSP and scatterer, and the same situation exists. Same ocean appearance and lack of sunflare.

If i go back to Scatterer V0.0233 the sunflare works in all situations under OpenGL.

So, I will be using either 0.0235 if I can get my RSS/RO/RP-0 within memory limits with DX11 (it looks amazing!) or 0.0233 OpenGL if I can't.

Edited by stratochief66

On 3/12/2016 at 4:50 AM, blackrack said:

I will check it out.

For the lens flare, it's still broken for some people. No idea why and no fix for now.

An update.  Although forcing DX11 has not worked for me in the last due to memory limitations, I tried it again and successfully loaded the game and a save.  The flare is back (yea!).  I was forcing OpenGL before.  I still have to investigate the pink square but I suspect that it, too, is gone, since the flare is rendering correctly.

Also, I noticed a considerable difference in the way the ocean shading is rendered between the two.  If you'd like, I'll post pictures of the differences.

Edit: I also have less free RAM compared to OpenGL(lost about 400MB) but the average framerate has increased (7-9% subjectively?).

Edited by Brigadier
More info

A depth buffer is a image that shows how far things are from the camera, black is close white is distant. As you can see from the screen shot theres a problem with mine for some reason, its getting these odd slices in it and it will disappear if the camera gets to a normal distance from your craft.

Spoiler

0OqWcLR.jpg

Depth%20Buffer.png?dl=0

57 minutes ago, Rareden said:

A depth buffer is a image that shows how far things are from the camera, black is close white is distant. As you can see from the screen shot theres a problem with mine for some reason, its getting these odd slices in it and it will disappear if the camera gets to a normal distance from your craft.

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes sense.  Here's mine with almost the same settings - only my experimentalViewDirOffset = 0.  Running DX11

Edited by Brigadier

3 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes sense.  Here's mine with almost the same settings - only my experimentalViewDirOffset = 0.  Running DX11.

Reveal hidden contents

no image?

5 minutes ago, Rareden said:

interesting, yours seems to work fine, not sure whats different, im running it in DX11 aswell

Could be my old MB and gfx card (Radeon HD 5700 series)...nah, then I'd be having the problem :cool:. Sorry.  I would love to have the RAM performance of OpenGL with the visuals of DX11; just spectacular.  Asking for nothin' much <he says while he ducks and runs>.

We all appear to be hanging a lot of hopes on v1.1.  I'm afraid it's going to be chaos for weeks post-release.

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

First off, what rescale mod is that that you're using and have you tried with just a stock game? Second, you have enabled the super secret craft_WaveInteractions flag (which is secret for a reason, it doesn't work) and it's causing issues, disable it in the same way you enabled it.

Thanks, but I don't remember any craft_wave (apparently he is really very secret) and don't know how to turn it off, I never set up this stupid water) just don't know how to remove this problem with the horizon...

7 hours ago, Rareden said:

I've got shadow of my craft dissapearing as it gets closer - and it happens at the same distance where you have that white curve. It then appears again, where that curve ends in your pic - and it has much higher resolution suddenly. IMO these problems are related. I'm using dx11 btw.

9 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

So I did some decent testing *pats self on back*

Scatterer V0.0235 looks great in RSS with DX11. The ocean works as intended and looks excellent. The PQS/SS transition is a little rough, but it has been that way for at least a few versions back and isn't a huge concern for me. I just shorten it to a 2km window at 100km myself. 

With OpenGL I get that static-y effect on the water that @blackrack said looked like a mipmap issue, and the sunflare doesn't work. I also once in a while get the purple blip like in davidy12's most recent picture there. I have confirmed my graphics card settings have nothing special set. The water has always appeared this way for me in OpenGL since scatterer started modifying the ocean appearance. Link. I tried all various KSP settings (fullscreen on and off, -popupwindow, various in-game AA settings) and nothing changed. I also tried this version with just Stock KSP and scatterer, and the same situation exists. Same ocean appearance and lack of sunflare.

If i go back to Scatterer V0.0233 the sunflare works in all situations under OpenGL.

So, I will be using either 0.0235 if I can get my RSS/RO/RP-0 within memory limits with DX11 (it looks amazing!) or 0.0233 OpenGL if I can't.

You can put back the sunFlare.shader file from V0.0233 into 0.0235 and it should get back to working in OpenGL. Mysteriously, 0.0235 fixed the sun flare for some and broke it for others, the hunt continues...

9 hours ago, Brigadier said:

An update.  Although forcing DX11 has not worked for me in the last due to memory limitations, I tried it again and successfully loaded the game and a save.  The flare is back (yea!).  I was forcing OpenGL before.  I still have to investigate the pink square but I suspect that it, too, is gone, since the flare is rendering correctly.

Also, I noticed a considerable difference in the way the ocean shading is rendered between the two.  If you'd like, I'll post pictures of the differences.

Edit: I also have less free RAM compared to OpenGL(lost about 400MB) but the average framerate has increased (7-9% subjectively?).

Yeah sure, post some pics. And yeah I think OpenGL is in general slower for everyoen than either dx11 or dx9.

7 hours ago, Rareden said:

Reveal hidden contents

0OqWcLR.jpg

Hmm, that is super weird, considering I manually render a custom depth buffer and don't rely on the built-in KSP one. It's also pretty blurry and that halo effect is weird. Have you tried a different video mode yet? Are you using any other mods? And I'd also be curious to see what that depth buffer looks like in motion.

23 minutes ago, Zlodeevi4 said:

Thanks, but I don't remember any craft_wave (apparently he is really very secret) and don't know how to turn it off, I never set up this stupid water) just don't know how to remove this problem with the horizon...

You didn't answer on whether you tried without the other mods you're using or not.

Edited by blackrack