Is KSP the biggest game ever

TheMarineParrot

I'm not 100% sure but I thought in Frontier Elite you could technically fly from one star to another on conventional drives, though it would take a LOOOOOOOOOONG time even at full time warp. It was a long time ago that I played that game though so I may be misremembering.

So is Elite Dangerous. This type of measurement is tricky. KSP is mostly empty space with only a few points of interest that were somewhat randomly created, Minecraft is randomly and procedurally generated, Elite: Dangerous is procedural from a seed, etc. If everything is empty or random, than size doesn't really matter and is a poor metric.

Elite: Dangerous claims to use a realistically-sized replica of the Milky Way. EVE has on the order of 5000 star systems. The original Elite had 8 galaxies each with 256 star systems, in 1984.

The Kerbol system arguably has a much broader scale than those games - as far as I'm aware it's the only one with fine terrain detail on any of the bodies. But for sheer size, not even close.

So I was thinking about the largest game maps ever...

So this excludes random generated scenery. A map has the complete picture otherwise it is unfinished.

It is all in the details. There is not much in scenery detail in KSP, it all looks the same. But many explosions later there can components (with physics programming) scattered throughout and could then be considered interactive scenery.

The level of detail in the physics programming of the interactive scenery could be what distinguishes KSP.

The distance between interactive scenery on the 1 1 1 plane could be a method for measure.

Very interested in finding out the winner of this.

Minecraft is only a mere 64,000 by 64,000 kilometres, so small it could fit within the orbit of minmus.

KSP is a good contender, and it's 'box' technically never ends, although at some point the altitude meter flips back to metres (m)

Space Engine has a visible boundary where the galaxies stop generating, however one can fly beyond that barrier into the blackness, and continue on forever

Orbiter, like KSP and Space Engine, also has an infinite 'box', however there is nothing new beyond Neptune (or pluto/eris/sedna if you have mods installed)

Universe Sandbox is also technically infinite.

So, yes, there are infinitely sized games, however in terms of 'distance to the furthest thing', Space Engine is the undisputed winner

I think the OP meant "the amount of land/sea you can explore, measured in square distance units", kinda like "The map of GTA V is 5x bigger than the map of GTA: San andreas" thing you see a lot in reviews and stuff.

In which case, yes, KSP would have a LOT of ground to explore. It's mostly empty, though, so one could argue that your average game with an average map size probably has a lot more interesting stuff to be found.

Well... I mean Minecraft is REALLLLLLLLY BIG. You can fly around Kerbin, but even using fly hack in Minecraft, it takes an incredible amount of time to go from one limiting side to the opposite.

IIRC, Minecraft is something like 7 Neptunes worth of area, at 1 square metre granularity, with 256 depth levels. KSP just doesn't have that level of accuracy at all, it's all interpolations based on relatively coarse bump maps. Although it probably does have 256 depth levels :)

This thread again? It must be about third time this year. Space Engine hands down. Elite is just an insignificant speck of nothing inside the vastness of Space Engine.

Dang straight, but isn't it proceduraly generated?

If we can include procedural generation:

Then currently Space Engine. Followed closely behind by Spore.

Spore has a simplified, but huge galaxy to explore, with most planet and moon as places you can explore.

Coming Soon (includes procedural generation):

Elite: Dangerous will have planetary landings in the future, and it also models the entire Milky Way Galaxy.

No Man's Sky will be right up there, too - and I can't wait for this game, it looks amazing!

If we exclude procedural generation:

I would say Orbiter Space Flight Simulator is the biggest "game" so far. The entire real solar system, including the surface of every planet and moon, is navigable. Also, it's easy to add your own bases and destinations to explore via scenario edits (without any mods).

Edited by EtherDragon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.