[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

3 minutes ago, PolecatEZ said:

They hit the Mun going about 2600m/s...

That's the origin of my Seewise Kerman tagline.  :-D

My current game, I had a bunch of Kerbals turn tourist, because that's what I set for the hab timers (the rest are all set to "death").  They flipped back once I got a resupply ship within logistics range, and then flipped again to tourist.  (I don't know if that's expected behavior)

I'm a big fan of the movie "Supernova" (James Spader, Angela Bassett - check it out if you've never seen it), so I am going to build a "Nightengale" medical ship with a Med Bay and a ton of Colony Supplies and Hab improvements, so I can send it out to "rescue" any future Kerbals who turn tourist.

@RoverDude - if you haven't seen Supernova, check it out.  Better than Last Days on Mars, but still not exactly the best SF.  Still, it has a couple of GREAT James Spader lines. I think that the "Medical Rescue Vessel" concept works pretty awesome in the latest revision of USI-LS / MKS.

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Not sure why you would only update the DLL...

Modified files :/   It's tricky going back through and remembering all of the tweaks I've made to things.

I also wanted to ask (because I don't think your USI tools has it's own thread?):  Is the EVA maintenance and wear working now?  I have my replacement part wear set to 0. 

Edited by Sarxis

3 hours ago, Sarxis said:

Modified files :/   It's tricky going back through and remembering all of the tweaks I've made to things.

The best way of doing that is making a ModuleManager patch of your own and put it in a separate folder. Then this will apply the changes you want whenever you replace the entire mod. Making a patch is no more difficult than editing the CFG on your own, and saves a lot of time in the long run.

I just started a new game trying this mod out and I've run into a snag. I've tried googling and looked through this thread for a bit and couldn't find an answer. Taking my first manned trip to Minmus I noticed Valentina was a tourist when I got there. I reloaded to find she only had 7 days of home/habitat. Everything I've found says it should start at 30, am I missing something? Thanks.

1 hour ago, NAeX said:

I just started a new game trying this mod out and I've run into a snag. I've tried googling and looked through this thread for a bit and couldn't find an answer. Taking my first manned trip to Minmus I noticed Valentina was a tourist when I got there. I reloaded to find she only had 7 days of home/habitat. Everything I've found says it should start at 30, am I missing something? Thanks.

The current default is 7 days, you can change it by clicking on the USI-LS cube button when you are in the KSC screen, or you can add habitation/EC/Supplies to your Minmus vessel.

So, I just launched my first crewed mission on a hard career game. I totally forgot I had USI-LS mod installed, and didn't send any food with the mission. Now my capsule is spinning around Gael (starter planet for Galileo's Planet Pack) with Jeb as a "tourist".

I like my games to be hard, so I plan on changing the configuration to set the starvation status to KIA, but right now, I'd like to get Jeb back home.

The only problem is... how. I didn't add any LS modules to the vessel, so there's no empty "supplies" resource bar, and as far as I can tell, this also means there is no way for me to get fresh supplies onto the vessel. Furthermore, since EVA isn't possible, I can't just send up a new ship and have Jeb transfer to the one with supplies. I also can't lower the ship into a suborbital trajectory, because I can't control the ship, so I can't steer it downward, or enable the parachutes if I have some other ship push it downwards.

Is there any "in-game" way of solving this problem? Or should I just accept this one-time slip up, edit the save-game to resupply the ship, and then change the config to have it be a KIA situation next time?

49 minutes ago, JoshuaRaven said:

Is there any "in-game" way of solving this problem? Or should I just accept this one-time slip up, edit the save-game to resupply the ship, and then change the config to have it be a KIA situation next time?

You kept him up there for 15 days? Because that should be the grace period he'll be fine without supplies...

Still, depending on your science progress, there's several ways to rescue him:

• Launch another ship, and use it to just bump Jeb's pod retrograde until it reenters. He should come back to his senses in time to deploy the parachutes. Hope the pod design doesn't rely on good reentry orientation though... or that it's aerodynamically stable at least.
  • Bring an engineer with a wrench (and KIS) to attach a docking port, dock and transfer supplies.
  • Or attach a probe core this way and deorbit him using remote control.
  • Or another pod with  second pilot.
  • Grab it with a klaw and deorbit (or transfer supplies).

42 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Umm..... What do I put in the :NEEDS[] tag to make something detect USI life support? :rolleyes: 

'USILifeSupport' should work.  (It's the DLL.  NEEDS[] keys off of folder, dll, or :FOR[])

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

'USILifeSupport' should work.  (It's the DLL.  NEEDS[] keys off of folder, dll, or :FOR[])

Don't use FOR[] unless the MM patch is being distributed as part of the mod that you put inside the FOR[], it will make other MM patches think that mod is installed when it isn't.

15 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Don't use FOR[] unless the MM patch is being distributed as part of the mod that you put inside the FOR[], it will make other MM patches think that mod is installed when it isn't.

Yep.  NEEDS[] keys off of it, as one way it knows the mod is installed.  :wink:

9 hours ago, jd284 said:

You kept him up there for 15 days? Because that should be the grace period he'll be fine without supplies...

Still, depending on your science progress, there's several ways to rescue him:

• Launch another ship, and use it to just bump Jeb's pod retrograde until it reenters. He should come back to his senses in time to deploy the parachutes. Hope the pod design doesn't rely on good reentry orientation though... or that it's aerodynamically stable at least.
  • Bring an engineer with a wrench (and KIS) to attach a docking port, dock and transfer supplies.
  • Or attach a probe core this way and deorbit him using remote control.
  • Or another pod with  second pilot.
  • Grab it with a klaw and deorbit (or transfer supplies).

Yes, I use the KCT mod, so I fast-forwarded a month to upgrade my astronaut complex (to allow EVA'ing), only to find Jeb as a tourist when I got back to his ship.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have access to the wrench, and probe cores, so I'm going to try to go that route.

6 hours ago, JoshuaRaven said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have access to the wrench, and probe cores, so I'm going to try to go that route.

Just remember that if you only have access to the wrench (and not the electric screwdriver) you'll only be able to nodeAttach parts, so you'll need to have a free attachment node to connect to your probe core. I only bring this up because I manage to forget every single time.

-EDIT- I lied! See @Tarheel1999's post below for the truth.

Edited by Merkov

2 hours ago, Merkov said:

Just remember that if you only have access to the wrench (and not the electric screwdriver) you'll only be able to nodeAttach parts, so you'll need to have a free attachment node to connect to your probe core. I only bring this up because I manage to forget every single time.

Good point, but even if you have no available nodes, you can still detach a part and insert the probe core before re-attaching. As long as it's not the Stayputnik.

4 hours ago, Merkov said:

Has this changed? It used to be that the wrench could only surface attach and the drill was required for node/stack attaching  

1 hour ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Has this changed? It used to be that the wrench could only surface attach and the drill was required for node/stack attaching  

Huh. You are 100% correct. The problem with using the wrench to attach a probe core is that most probe cores (all stock probe cores?) don't allow surface attaching, but the wrench doesn't allow node attaching. Thanks for correcting me, you probably saved my upcoming Eve mission a lot of grief. 

Hi. 

Ksp V1.2.2 + galileo planet pack here

Career mode.

Just a question. I have a station orbiting iota and it has a Nomomatic 5k. Just as i docked a lander which had some 300units of supply, they were immediately depleted apparently. Now the whole station is depleted with tourist kerbals (they were scientist kerbs before going afk after the sudden depletion of supplies).

The ship had two kerbals. None were on station until docking. I suppose I will have to do a supply run, but what if it just nullifies it again?

Did I miss something? 

I assumed that docking with some 3days worth of food would be enough. But something just ate the supplies away. Or is this due to a particular mechanic I missed?

I know ketbalism had these hungry-debuffs where kerbs would eat excessively, I think, but that mod is not installed. Not surr what to do :(

Edited by Spraki

4 hours ago, Spraki said:

Hi. 

Ksp V1.2.2 + galileo planet pack here

Career mode.

Just a question. I have a station orbiting iota and it has a Nomomatic 5k. Just as i docked a lander which had some 300units of supply, they were immediately depleted apparently. Now the whole station is depleted with tourist kerbals (they were scientist kerbs before going afk after the sudden depletion of supplies).

The ship had two kerbals. None were on station until docking. I suppose I will have to do a supply run, but what if it just nullifies it again?

Did I miss something? 

I assumed that docking with some 3days worth of food would be enough. But something just ate the supplies away. Or is this due to a particular mechanic I missed?

I know ketbalism had these hungry-debuffs where kerbs would eat excessively, I think, but that mod is not installed. Not surr what to do :(

Odd question, but are you actually out of supplies, or is it just the USI-LS window showing the "expired" status? I seem to recall seeing a few posts about odd UI messages, especially when docking/undocking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.