[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

1 hour ago, LeCosmopilot said:

I have kind of issue - mod doesnt save last state. I mean every time i set window to show only current available science, but after reloading it's shows me again full science. Can i fix it by myself?

It's not a problem on your side, I have this too. Nothing to do about it, unless you can make the change in the code and send a pull request to @Z-Key Aerospace

It's a feature I like to see implemented, even better if the state can be saved per scene.

• 2 weeks later...

@Z-Key Aerospace

I'm working on the L-Tech mod.  I've found the problem which used to cause thenullrefs in both this mod and KEI.  I noticed that you had fixed it already by checking for the 

experimentID != null

which is really great!

What I'm noticing is that none of the L-Tech experiments are showing up, in any scene.

I did a little digging and was able to see that the mod is seeing the L-Tech experiments in the UpdateExperiments function, in the ScienceContext.cs (around line 235 or so) file.  But I haven't yet figured out where the L-Tech  experiments are being filtered.

I've checked both in the main screen, and in the Flight screen.

Any suggestions as to where to look, or what might be keeping it from showing up?

Thanks

@Z-Key Aerospace

A few pages back I'm guessingin a 1.1.x version of ksp, this mod had buttons to activate your science experiments.

Running the latest release of this mod in 1.2.2, I do not het anything more than a list of the science I can do (this is good), however it appears I can no longer activate the experiments.

Is this in purpose, or have I missed an instruction somewhere?

Edit:  Ah ah!  I did miss something!  There is also a teardrop shaped button which apparently has those "click to do science without searching all over your ship for the individual experiments to run" buttons!

Never mind.

Edited by smotheredrun

Sorry to ask but I  can{t find a similar mod to this one I had installed (broke my hard-drive). It is one which let's you acivate your science experiment while in flight when available. I ca't remember it's name and can't find i, help please?

This is the one: here-now-2.png
Is this actually the mod? because in the OP there isn't an image showing this window. So I got confused I thought it wsas a different mod.

Edited by Agustin

43 minutes ago, Agustin said:

Sorry to ask but I  can{t find a similar mod to this one I had installed (broke my hard-drive). It is one which let's you acivate your science experiment while in flight when available. I ca't remember it's name and can't find i, help please?

This is the one: here-now-2.png
Is this actually the mod? because in the OP there isn't an image showing this window. So I got confused I thought it wsas a different mod.

That is this mod, there are two toolbar buttons.  The here and now function was not a part of the original mod, but since science alert has not been maintained for a few versions it was needed and the OP was awesome enough to add it to this mod. 

Heya, I'm looking to get a complete list of all experiments available in KSP including mods. Tryed searching the internet, but I could only find lists without mods.

I thought of making some sort of a science compendium software. I'm not very happy with going through the list ingame, because of the game's performance. plus, I really need a different look at it. I'm just not that happy with the lists and filters this mod provides. I got really happy when I found this mod, but after using it quite some time now, I really need something better.

could it be possible to log a complete list of all experiments with this mod into a text file? I have done some things with the UnityEngine, but modding KSP is a complete mystery to me. And I don't really have the leisure to get into it head first. So if it is, I would be happy if someone could atleast just point the way, to where I have to change things in this mod to get what i want. I don't think I should have much problems in finding out what exactly that is, what I need to do, but understanding what someone else programmed is pretty hard for me. I don't know how KSP is done. I don't know how mods are done. But I know some things about how to do stuff with the UnityEngine.

Edited by globalenemy

used some time to look at how experiments by mods are deployed into the game. I think I have a better idea of how getting this list. Or in better words, how to work this list out myself. The Idea I first had seems pretty stupid now, looking back at it, knowing how it works. ^^

There is one thing I don't quite understand, and that is the biomemask.

I've found an explanation on situationmask and biomemask in the forums back from 2013. But it doesn't really say how the biomemask actually works.

Since this mod relies on it, I really hope you can explain to me how it works. Please help me out! :)

Edited by globalenemy

On 18/01/2017 at 0:23 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@Z-Key Aerospace

I'm working on the L-Tech mod.  I've found the problem which used to cause thenullrefs in both this mod and KEI.  I noticed that you had fixed it already by checking for the 

experimentID != null

which is really great!

What I'm noticing is that none of the L-Tech experiments are showing up, in any scene.

I did a little digging and was able to see that the mod is seeing the L-Tech experiments in the UpdateExperiments function, in the ScienceContext.cs (around line 235 or so) file.  But I haven't yet figured out where the L-Tech  experiments are being filtered.

I've checked both in the main screen, and in the Flight screen.

Any suggestions as to where to look, or what might be keeping it from showing up?

Thanks

I'm not really into LTech but I'm sure _some_ experiments were showing up last time I checked.

I'm using [x] Science's "science.cfg" to filter these from LTech - Is that the problem?

// --- LTech --------------------------------------
        // LTech contains some weird stub experiments that aren't supposed to show up
        hullcampicture =    AvoidAll // WaitWhat = External camera
        error =                AvoidAll // Error = SkyLab

science.cfg gets applied in "BodySituationFilter" and that is called in ScienceContext::RefreshExperimentCache

Apart from that, [x] Science! will never generate accurate science situations for things that don't actually relate to a KSP situation - so Orbital Science's underwater stuff, and the telescopes that need any polar position.  They either don't show up or the science checklist gets spammed with situations that are not actually possible.

What ScienceContext::RefreshExperimentCache does is zoom round all the experiments in all biomes in all bodies and makes all big list of all the possibilities according to a bunch of rules.

I'd start with turning on the debugging in ScienceContext::UpdateExperiments - that will tell you if [x] Science! even believes your thing is an experiment.  If it's not in that list it won't even get considered.  Then it's down to whether it actually applies to a biome or not.

I seem to remember that I filtered LTech's photos and SkyLab because they didn't actually correspond to Biomes.

On 01/02/2017 at 11:57 PM, r4nc0r said:

Loving the Here and Now mode! Great work! But is there any way to disable the warp stopping on biome change? I can't find that setting.

One day the Here and Now window will have buttons.  For now just close the window and it'll stop bugging you, reopen it when you need it.

10 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Is Here and Now supposed to work with the Magnometer from DMagic Orbital Science? all I get is a message saying I can't do that right now.   But clicking the part works normally. 

I believe if you have your magnetometer deployed (but not "doing science") and then select the button in the "Here and Now" window, it will work.  I have had the same thing happen with a few deployable science instruments

Suggestion: A button on the "Here and Now" window to only stop on biomes where an experiment is 0/X (nothing transmitted yet).   Or a button that will ignore biomes that have already been seen while the vessel has been focused (in this focus).

That way, if you're doing experiments which are only partially transmitted (and maybe you don't care about the rest), you're not stopping on every biome change for a biome that you've already partially harvested.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:40 AM, globalenemy said:

used some time to look at how experiments by mods are deployed into the game. I think I have a better idea of how getting this list. Or in better words, how to work this list out myself. The Idea I first had seems pretty stupid now, looking back at it, knowing how it works. ^^

There is one thing I don't quite understand, and that is the biomemask.

I've found an explanation on situationmask and biomemask in the forums back from 2013. But it doesn't really say how the biomemask actually works.

Since this mod relies on it, I really hope you can explain to me how it works. Please help me out! :)

My understanding is that the parameters situationmask and biomemask both identify sets of situations. 

Different situations are given numbers:

SrfLanded = 1
SrfSplashed = 2
FlyingLow = 4
FlyingHigh = 8
InSpaceLow = 16
InSpaceHigh = 32

Select the Situations you want active and add the numbers. If you want to identify SrfLanded and FlyingLow you want 1 + 4 = 5; if you want to say "only in space" then you would add 16 + 32 = 48. 

"Situationmask" means "This experiment will only work in these situations." So if you want an experiment that only works in space, your situationmask is 48.

"Biomemask" means "this experiment will use biomes in these situations." 

So let's say you have an experiment with a "Situationmask" of 48 (works only in space) and a biomemask of 16 (InSpaceLow). When you're in space and near Kerbin, you will get Science for every biome (over water, over mountains...). But when you're further out High above Kerbin, you will only get Science once, regardless of which biome you're over. 

As is customary, first congratulations on a excellent plugin ! It saved me from spamming action group keys to collect science (and checking the biome in research window), it got tedious very fast.

Now a report : i'm using Universal Storage science parts from DMagic Orbital Science pack.

The "here and now" window detects available science from the above mentioned parts, but when executing offered experiments i get screen message "can't be done right now". Ofcourse, i again use action groups to collect science from all experiments at once and it works.

Event this partial functioning still helps a great deal. I don't consider this issue a top priority, though it may point to some more serious issues "under the hood".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.