DevNotes: "something rather brilliant from RoverDude"

AbacusWizard

From today's DevNotes:

I’ve been continuing with my production duties as well as assisting the Experimental Team with 1.0.3, putting in some smaller changes/fixes in the downtime as well as something rather brilliant from RoverDude - a smaller feature but one that should prove very useful for all.

Strictly for entertainment purposes: anyone want to speculate on what this might be? Given that parts of RoverDude's Karbonite mod were more or less directly integrated into 1.0, I've been looking over RoverDude's other mods:

USI Kolonization Systems? Probably not; it certainly isn't "a smaller feature."

Karbonite? No, the basic idea is already bundled into 1.0's ISRU system.

Karbonite Plus? Maybe; the notion of rarer but more valuable resources that can be harvested (and brought back at a profit?) would be neat.

Freight Transport Technologies? More of a parts pack than "a smaller feature."

Asteroid Recycling Technologies? Probably not; the new ISRU system already allows mining asteroids.

USI Exploration Pack? Also more of a parts pack, but if I remember correctly it includes external seating that can be crewed at launch, which is a feature that's been requested for a long time. That'd be mighty convenient. Of course with the new aero, sitting outside a rocket at launch is asking for trouble!

USI Survivability Pack? It has tiny all-in-one escape pods that are pretty cool.

Alcubierre Warp Drive? Cool idea, but not really thematically appropriate for stock.

Sounding Rockets? Small low-tech uncrewed rockets that flesh out the early game. Could be useful.

What do you think?

(And RoverDude, if you're reading this--want to pour any kerosene on the fire? :) Also, seriously, thanks for everything you do; your contributions significantly improve something that is already amazing.)

I think it might be pipes for transferring resources between crafts and bases. It is definitely a brilliant feature that the game could use.

I would certainly be in favor of surface refueling hoses.

heh, I thought my ears were burning.

It's a small thing - but super cool, and thrilled we were able to get it green lighted for 1.0.3 - it's something I had been tinkering with in anticipation of a future release, but I'm pretty pleased with where it landed, and have been doing a ton of personal playtesting in my own save for the past month or so. I think folks will be pleased.

Oh... and there was a hint in that previous statement. Let the speculation begin.

Based on the fact that he has spent a ton of time playtesting it and the bolded text above (added by me), I think it's going to be some kind of landing site approximation a la trajectories.

Edited by peachoftree

Im convinced it's radiators or some other kind of active heat management. Roverdude used multiple temperature related references in his reply on the matter and its something much needed with the introduction of the new heat system in 1.0.x.

Edited by Yakuzi

While pipes would be wonderful (It's one of the most missed things for me on my current game where I have eschewed KAS for no reason other than I want to) I don't think that's a small enough thing. I think they're a pretty big thing actually.

Though radiators and (VAB-placeable) heat pipes/pumps sounds like just the thing.

Perhaps it's a part that works like this: http://www.gizmag.com/lumigrids-led-projector/27691/

You mount it on your craft just like the existing lights, and it projects a green light grid below you that lets you see surface contours as you approach for a landing? It would definitely be a small but cool feature. Also useful to mount on rovers pointing forwards. And he IS named Roverdude, after all! </conspiracy> :D

Guys its new rover wheels

Folding/Retractable rover wheels that don't stick out at lauch time and allow the lander to fit into a cargo bay? I believe it when I see it, but it would certainly be cool.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see. After all, a big part of KSP is patience, both regarding updates (no offence SQUAD but since your updates are awesome, they need a lot of hard work and time put into them) and spaceflight! I mean, it takes some time to go to Jool doesn't it, ey?

Judging by their last hyped secret feature (smoke dispersion near surface) I'm not very optimistic.

We need stock dV, radar altimeter outside cockpit, warp-to fix, better support for multiple missions (KAC?), atmospheric trajectory calculation, hoses,... and we get smoke.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.