KSP is coming to the Wii U

mythbusters844

Sigh... I expected this to be a hoax, but it turns out it is not. :o

How the heck are they going to get it even running on that low end cpu??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the CPU side of the PS4 APU pretty much equivalent to a netbook cpu as well?

Now that Twitter has confirmed that KSP is coming to WiiU. I would like to express my opinion.

Which is sadness over such an obviously flawed decision to port KSP to the WiiU. I know that Unity 5 makes it possible to put games on many platforms at once. However, That does not mean it is a good idea.

KSP is not Mario. It makes use of CPU heavy physics to present a semi-realistic experience. And the WiiU's CPU is anything but powerful. Not to mention that with only 2 gigs of memory. It simply is not good for an ever growing game.

The worst part is. There is no way you can say that the weakness of the WiiU will not be a factor on the decisions regarding parts or features. So the game will have gimped potential simply to make some extra sales... How sad.

It is a dark day for KSP and it's fans.

It is a dark day for KSP and it's fans.

You seem to think that porting the game to the WiiU will somehow cause the PC version to become worse, or perhaps not get better at a rate you'd prefer. Neither of these should be expected until someone says so. Minecraft was ported to smartphones, for crying out loud, and you don't see the PC version being limited to 2x2km worlds (or whatever limits the phone version has) and simplified controls.

You seem to think that porting the game to the WiiU will somehow cause the PC version to become worse, or perhaps not get better at a rate you'd prefer. Neither of these should be expected until someone says so. Minecraft was ported to smartphones, for crying out loud, and you don't see the PC version being limited to 2x2km worlds (or whatever limits the phone version has) and simplified controls.

#1 Minecraft and KSP are two different games.

#2 Smartphones, PCs, and the WiiU are completely different from each other. Do you seriously think Squad will start leaving features out of the WiiU version because of lack of memory or CPU power? If so I have a bridge to sell you.

Im more worried about the brand. it the ports are crap it wont help anyone.

#1 Minecraft and KSP are two different games.

#2 Smartphones, PCs, and the WiiU are completely different from each other. Do you seriously think Squad will start leaving features out of the WiiU version because of lack of memory or CPU power? If so I have a bridge to sell you.

I cannot come up with an analogy that both involves KSP and porting to the WiiU, because that's never happened yet. As that is the only analogy you will accept I will stop trying to talk to you.

I am amused though that you are able to make the analogy between trusting that a fairly common practice in video games (releasing a lesser version of the game on a lesser platform and a better version of the game on a better platform) will occur and a naive as an immigrant buying the Brooklyn Bridge.

- - - Updated - - -

Im more worried about the brand. it the ports are crap it wont help anyone.

I don't know, how many games have crappy ports these days? Seems everybody just knows not to get game X on platform Y, and those who don't, wouldn't know anyway.

Ah thanks Columbia! :blush:

Nintendo also mentioned in this article that the Wii U version of KSP will be the "definitive version" and will launch "early next year". Nintendo's Damon Baker:

"We feel we have the definitive version on Wii U because of our interface…You’ll be able to utilize the touchscreen and the GamePad in a number of different ways from actually building the spacecraft and navigating the spacecraft and even getting different perspectives. You’ll be able to fly the spacecraft from the cockpit utilizing the GamePad as a different viewpoint."

Edited by Yakuzi

Ah thanks Columbia! :blush:

Nintendo also mentioned in this article that the Wii U version of KSP will be the "definitive version" and will launch "early next year".

That statement needs some context though. Damon Baker said:

We feel we have the definitive version on Wii U because of our interface…You’ll be able to

utilize the touchscreen and the GamePad in a number of different ways from actually

building the spacecraft and navigating the spacecraft and even getting different

perspectives. You’ll be able to fly the spacecraft from the cockpit utilizing the GamePad

as a different viewpoint.

Oh god.. Dont get me wrong, more money for squad is good but the Wii U is not right for KSP. The processor in the thing wont be able to handle it.

Its a 1.24 GHz Tri-Core "Espresso". Dosent sound too bad but its built on the 45nm tech and the die size is really tiny: 27.73 mm2

"A triple-core Broadway CPU at 1.24GHz would have a theoretical peak of 14.79GFLOPS." http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/processor-gflops-compilation.94721/

Do you seriously think Squad will start leaving features out of the WiiU version because of lack of memory or CPU power? If so I have a bridge to sell you.

You have a reason to think they won't do that ? This is very common in the gaming industry, i can't see why you seem to think they wont do it.

Care to explain ?

"Do you seriously think squad wont leave features out of the wiiU version because of lack of memory or CPU power ? If so I have a bridge to sell you " <= This sentence is not better nor worse than your own.

You people need to quit hating on the Wii U. It's a capable game system. I have it, and some of the game hold up excellent graphically, especially Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. I'm sure they can optimize KSP to run pretty decently on Wii. The only downside is lack of mods.

You people need to quit hating on the Wii U. It's a capable game system. I have it, and some of the game hold up excellent graphically, especially Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. I'm sure they can optimize KSP to run pretty decently on Wii. The only downside is lack of mods.

well.. graphics is not everything. there's a bit of a difference between that and calculating real-time physics on hundreds of individual parts at the same time..

i guess we'll have to wait and see what becomes of this

Help me, I cannot remember, what was the reaction to giving KSP to a third party to develop KerbalEDU?

Was it also all "oh noooes" - or more like "yes, good thing, make this great game accessible to more players, even those with no own/capable PC at home, so they can enjoy and play at least in school"?

Lets say for different consoles the game would indeed have to be cut down a bit to run: lower graphics, simpler "wobble physics", fewer planets, restriction on part count maybe - what still will remain is a fun simulator good enough to teach about rocket science and space flight.

I am genuinely amazed at the sheer hostility ...

My thoughts exactly, not all the comments of course, but a large portion of them.

Not being excited in any fashion about the news and expressing technical concerns should not be considered as 'hostility and hatred'.

Even a lot of the comments containing technical concerns are filled with less ... lets say "objective expressions".

I don't even. Well, OK, the port itself doesn't concern me as long as it doesn't harm PC version. But NINTENDO????? What, noone remembers their abuse of the Youtube Content ID system? And Squad intends to do business with them? Seriously?

This is the only part that gives me negative thoughts actually, how much of the brand will be controlled by third parties and how will it impact user created content?

Maaaax?!

Nintendo also mentioned ... that the Wii U version of KSP will be the "definitive version"

Marketingelingeling.

"We feel we have the definitive version on Wii U because of our interface…You’ll be able to utilize the touchscreen and the GamePad in a number of different ways from actually building the spacecraft and navigating the spacecraft and even getting different perspectives. You’ll be able to fly the spacecraft from the cockpit utilizing the GamePad as a different viewpoint."

Haha right...

I do not agree with that statement. For two reasons. Firstly, UB40 are the single worst band in the history of music. Secondly, a musician who actually cares about the art would not have 'selling records' as their primary aim. What they are is business men, not musicians/artists.

:mad:

Well, your post made me think of a few points points. I agree myself that they are not a very good band but secondly they never said it was their primary aim. Another point is that Squad are not artists but software developers who are in the business of selling a game, being they are also primarily businessmen.

After a couple of recent news announcements from Squad I think the way to influence them to do what we want is to make them think it will hurt profits to NOT do it...

I notice you didn`t actually disagree with anything in my post, I didn`t even call them a band and in fact you agreed that they were in the music business as businessmen. What they said was that the reason they were in the music *business*, rather than just making music for the sake of art, was to sell records. If they were only concerned with the art they would not have started on the road of selling records, in a similar way if Harvester only cared about making his game about `little green men` for art/himself etc we would not have even known about it. Instead he started on the road of making KSP into a business and like the universally despised UB40 he didn`t do that to NOT sell copies.

The last point was, it was supposed to be a humorous/witty quote.

When did everyone around here lose their sense of humour?

EDIT :

Myself I could not care less whether KSP can be implemented on a Wii-u, a PS4 or an Xbone. I have net been made angry by the less than perfect Mac version and I have not been driven into a frenzy of angry posting about Linux having a 64 bit client. The 3rd party team developing KerbalEDU does not affect my day much either and the EDU version actually has features I would like in the standard client.

I am actually happy they decided to not replace the Devnotes with the announcement this time.

The game is vastly improved since I first started playing and there are signs it will continue to improve. If modding becomes easier and the API allows more access then removing the memory ceiling is really all that is needed and that looks likely. The features I like most are added by mods anyway.

Edited by John FX

Welp....Guess I'll be back when 1.1 releases, forums are going to go into a new age of flame wars over this... thank god for good admins...

But I'm still going to go and leave the forums for a bit.

Also, ITS A GOOD THING KSP IS ON CONSOLES More people play KSP, more people interested in spaceflight, more people giving squad money to help develop KSP for ALL PLATFORMS!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.