[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Uncharted Lands v0.5.4 [26Dec17]

KillAshley

On 6/2/2016 at 8:36 PM, Perringo said:

And yes, the stutter is not present with only MM + kopernicus + Uncharted, so there must be some incompatibility there.

Are you certain you got rid of the fix .cfg when testing this?  I'm not saying it's impossible, by any means, but it does seem a bit of a weird interaction.

I submitted a pull request for Kopernicus to fix the stutter issue with panning the camera around in map or tracking station but there is also the "maps" (used to generate the actual surface) that use the on demand mechanism and these may need a similar tweak to avoid the textures being unloaded and then immediately reloaded again.

If it is related to the map textures rather than the scaled space textures then there should be some messages from the on demand system in the log, though why anything should be causing the body to go inactive is a mystery.  If you don't see any messages saying "Enabling body" or "Disabling body" then it will, presumably, be the scaled space textures that are being reloaded for some odd reason, but again, they get unloaded when a particular body goes out of view in scaled space so why this would happen while on EVA would be another mystery.

3 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Are you certain you got rid of the fix .cfg when testing this?  I'm not saying it's impossible, by any means, but it does seem a bit of a weird interaction.

I submitted a pull request for Kopernicus to fix the stutter issue with panning the camera around in map or tracking station but there is also the "maps" (used to generate the actual surface) that use the on demand mechanism and these may need a similar tweak to avoid the textures being unloaded and then immediately reloaded again.

If it is related to the map textures rather than the scaled space textures then there should be some messages from the on demand system in the log, though why anything should be causing the body to go inactive is a mystery.  If you don't see any messages saying "Enabling body" or "Disabling body" then it will, presumably, be the scaled space textures that are being reloaded for some odd reason, but again, they get unloaded when a particular body goes out of view in scaled space so why this would happen while on EVA would be another mystery.

Uncharted lands doesn't use any maps to generate the actual surface (unlike OPM)

but I honestly doubt that those could get loaded/unloaded very quickly

8 hours ago, Padishar said:

Hello Padishar! Due to my computer ignorance and my English language weakness I haven´t understand very well your message, but I did understand your question and yes, I deleted Sigma's fix when I did that test. Best wishes!

1 hour ago, Perringo said:

Hello Padishar! Due to my computer ignorance and my English language weakness I haven´t understand very well your message, but I did understand your question and yes, I deleted Sigma's fix when I did that test. Best wishes!

Not a problem, that did get a bit technical.  I have made various changes to Kopernicus to fix issues and released a test version over in the main Kopernicus thread:

You can try this to see if it fixes your problem (remove Sigma's fix again).  I will be testing it with a variety of planet packs today and will explicitly test EVA in this pack and others.

Edit: Note, this fix is based on Kopernicus 1.0.5 so make sure you have that version before replacing the DLLs.

Edited by Padishar

That sounds great! I will give it a try and let you know about my results asap. I can play very well with Sigma's fix, however I might have been getting some crashes among the ocasionally VAB one's, caused by 1.1.2 "personality", that I supposed are caused by the extra memory usage that Sigma mentioned. They don't happen very often though.

53 minutes ago, Padishar said:

You can try this to see if it fixes your problem

I have just done a quick test... EVA... PERFECT!! No stutter at all. I have run the game for 5 minutes so I can't tell about long term performance, but it looks very very well. You guys are very good!!

Hello KillAshley, really nice mod :) As I understand it this mod replaces the stock system and makes Kerbin into Krenib meaning the KSC is here. However I am using the Galactic neighborhood mod and so the uncharted lands system is separate and the KSC is (Quite rightly) put back to Kerbin. However the purpose of me installing these mods was that I wanted a carer playthrough whilst starting in another solar system in the galaxy. Do you know if there would be any way i could edit it so that Krenib remained the home of the KSC with Galactic Neighborhood? Thanks

17 minutes ago, Xblackmamba said:

Hello KillAshley, really nice mod :) As I understand it this mod replaces the stock system and makes Kerbin into Krenib meaning the KSC is here. However I am using the Galactic neighborhood mod and so the uncharted lands system is separate and the KSC is (Quite rightly) put back to Kerbin. However the purpose of me installing these mods was that I wanted a carer playthrough whilst starting in another solar system in the galaxy. Do you know if there would be any way i could edit it so that Krenib remained the home of the KSC with Galactic Neighborhood? Thanks

I tried doing this a little while ago. First in the Galactic neighborhood folder go to Galactic neighborhood/configs/PlanetPacks and delete the ULSystem folder. Then under Galactic neighborhood/configs/core delete the StockSystem file and in the StockSun file change the top line of code to

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[Kopernicus]

Then in the UnchartedLands folder go to UnchartedLands/KopernicusFiles and go through all the planets and if there reference body is set to Sun or set it to StockSun. This should re parent all the uncharted lands planets.

1 hour ago, torchard96 said:

I tried doing this a little while ago. First in the Galactic neighborhood folder go to Galactic neighborhood/configs/PlanetPacks and delete the ULSystem folder. Then under Galactic neighborhood/configs/core delete the StockSystem file and in the StockSun file change the top line of code to

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[Kopernicus]

Then in the UnchartedLands folder go to UnchartedLands/KopernicusFiles and go through all the planets and if there reference body is set to Sun or set it to StockSun. This should re parent all the uncharted lands planets.

Thank you for the speedy reply, this worked fine, although some of the planets needed to be changed in Koppurnicus/config/system, others in UnchartedLands/KopernicusFilesyste for some reason. One more question, i was hoping that the stock system would remain so that some day my alien race could make first contact with the Kerbals (i'm a bit of a roleplayer :wink:) Do you know of any way this could be possible? 

12 minutes ago, Xblackmamba said:

Thank you for the speedy reply, this worked fine, although some of the planets needed to be changed in Koppurnicus/config/system, others in UnchartedLands/KopernicusFilesyste for some reason. One more question, i was hoping that the stock system would remain so that some day my alien race could make first contact with the Kerbals (i'm a bit of a roleplayer :wink:) Do you know of any way this could be possible? 

Sure I could create a stock system for you, due to the nature of Kopernicus however two planets with the same names will cause issues, so what replacement names should I give them?

4 minutes ago, torchard96 said:

Sure I could create a stock system for you, due to the nature of Kopernicus however two planets with the same names will cause issues, so what replacement names should I give them?

Wow, if that's a hassle I would be fine to go without, but if its easy that would be nice, i dont want to put you out of your way. I'm really bad at thinking of names, the galactic neighborhood mod uses anagrams of the original planets, that is quick and easy. At the moment my Uncharted lands planets are named after the stock planets, could their alternative names be restored and the stock planets be given their proper names?

1 hour ago, Xblackmamba said:

Wow, if that's a hassle I would be fine to go without, but if its easy that would be nice, i dont want to put you out of your way. I'm really bad at thinking of names, the galactic neighborhood mod uses anagrams of the original planets, that is quick and easy. At the moment my Uncharted lands planets are named after the stock planets, could their alternative names be restored and the stock planets be given their proper names?

Sorry I thought it might be easy (it was fun though :D) but the fixes I made resulted caused too many bugs. Like the space center disappearing jool exploding, moons inside moons and Uncharted lands not working at all. Still I had fun working on it. So have fun with your space program you weird aliens. Btw the reason I left playing in Galactic Neighbourhood was that the solar panels don't as they should so the GN developer turned them all into electric generators that don't need sunlight which was too unrealistic for me.

Edited by torchard96
typo

5 minutes ago, torchard96 said:

GN developer turned them all into electric generators that don't need sunlight which was too unrealistic for me.

that's a workaround to compensate for a kopernicus bug that makes solar panels break when reparenting kerbin

and it is the only reason why GN is still listed in the Add-On Development thread as opposed to the Add-On Releases thread

(and it seems like I am the only one that refuses to go on the release thread with such a bug, since there are plenty of examples in that thread of mods that have this exact bug)

it's not like I enjoy messing up the solar panels for some weird reason :D

Edited by Sigma88

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

that's a workaround to compensate for a kopernicus bug that makes solar panels break when reparenting kerbin

and it is the only reason why GN is still listed in the Add-On Development thread as opposed to the Add-On Releases thread

it's not like I enjoy messing up the solar panels for some weird reason :D

I know sorry if I painted you in a negative light. It is better to have solar panels half way working then them breaking or them getting millions of electric charge or my ship heating to thousands of degrees.

45 minutes ago, torchard96 said:

Sorry I thought it might be easy (it was fun though :D) but the fixes I made resulted caused too many bugs. Like the space center disappearing jool exploding, moons inside moons and Uncharted lands not working at all. Still I had fun working on it. So have fun with your space program you weird aliens. Btw the reason I left playing in Galactic Neighbourhood was that the solar panels don't as they should so the GN developer turned them all into electric generators that don't need sunlight which was too unrealistic for me.

Wow, well no worries... you may just be the most helpful person i've met on the internet... thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cantab said:

A modest suggestion: Should KSC be nudged a bit west or maybe east so that boats don't have so far to go from the runway / launchpad respectively to the water?

already on my todo list :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Uncharted Lands v0.5.2 is now available on Github!

v0.5.2
-Removal of Kerbin's PQSCity mods causing terrain issues
-Removed SigmaBinary from download and added to OP's dependancy instructions
-Fixed issue with Gilly's parameter tab being blank
-Fixed Eve's ocean heat curve to stop the insta-explode (hopefully)

• 1 month later...

I was going to comment, and then I decided to delete the comment, and then I couldn't delete it, so I did what I could: type down what happened in the comment I wanted to delete.

Edited by Probe 1

39 minutes ago, Probe 1 said:

I was going to comment, and then I decided to delete the comment, and then I couldn't delete it, so I did what I could: type down what happened in the comment I wanted to delete.

I like this guy

• 1 month later...

I hit a strange issue yesterday when docking 2 vessels together around dres. The vehicle I was in control of seemed to slowly decelerate as if it were in atmosphere while the other vehicle stayed in its normal orbit. I had to keep compensating with rcs to get them docked.

Edit: actually it acceleratie as they drifted apart since the vehicle I was docking was ahead of the target

Has anyone else seen this happening?

Edited by Rob K
Clarification

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.