[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Uncharted Lands v0.5.4 [26Dec17]

KillAshley

It's nice that all the formatting on this thread has totally gone to pot with the 'upgraded' forum :/  Did you already rework the front page, or were you just lucky with the markup you'd used? :P

But I am looking forward to the new UL update, whenever it happens :)

23 hours ago, eddiew said:

It's nice that all the formatting on this thread has totally gone to pot with the 'upgraded' forum :/  Did you already rework the front page, or were you just lucky with the markup you'd used? :P

But I am looking forward to the new UL update, whenever it happens :)

yeah stupid formatting is one of the many issues with this new forum :huh:

update is coming along, just need a update to kopernicus and it's good to go. So shouldn't be too long hopefully

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Version 0.2 is now available!

1.0.5 Compatibility!
built for use with Kopernicus 0.6

-Added SciDefs, a modified version of CrowdSourcedScience defs, for all stock worlds
-Added custom asteroid generation, asteroids now spawn flying through the SOI's of Kerbin, Jool & Eeloo. They also spawn in a ring around Jool.
-Added RemoteTech compatibility
-Added Distant Object Enhancement compatibility
-Added Texture Replacer patch as a just in case
-Added Planetshine compatibility
-Added colored underwater fog to match new ocean colors
-Added Galactic Neighbourhood compatibility
-Added Sentar Expansion compatibility
-Added Jungis Planet Pack compatibility
-Added Kronkus compatibility
-Added Outer Planets Mod compatibility
-Added Trans-Keptunian compatibility
-Added Asclepius compatibility
-Added Sido's Urania System compatibility
-Added Mun's easter eggs back onto the moon
-Removed barycenter from ore contracts (still more tweaking to do)
-Removed Duna's easter eggs (face was floating & curiosity was underground)
-Tweaked Kerbin's atmosphere 5% higher and lowered pressure back to 1atm
-Tweaked & rebalanced planet densities & gravity
-Tweaked resolution of normal maps for Moho & Vall to increase visual fidelity
-Fixed errors with normal maps
-Fixed scaledspace transitions on every world
-Fixed Eve's HazardousOcean curve to use correct tangents in it's float curve
-Fixed orbital alignment (somehow Eeloo ended up way too far into the system)
-Fixed positioning for Kerbin's rings
-Fixed 15 degree mis-rotation of KSC. KSC now points due east-west.
-Fixed various ground texture issues
-Fixed Ike appearing purple in PQS view due to a mistyped color code
-Updated files for Kopernicus v0.5.x
-Updated file structure for On-Demand loading of textures
-Updated to SigmaBinary v1.3.2

any issues please feel free to let me know!

this update has taken a while, so enjoy!

Nice slew of updates there :)  Starting to feel bad that I haven't touched KSP for over a month... :<

Does the new SigmaBinary solve the issue of waypoints appearing offset to the planet (probably where the planet would be without barycentres)?

8 hours ago, eddiew said:

Nice slew of updates there :)  Starting to feel bad that I haven't touched KSP for over a month... :<

Does the new SigmaBinary solve the issue of waypoints appearing offset to the planet (probably where the planet would be without barycentres)?

new id find something new to check after i release it lol. TBH i don't use waypoints apart from contract generated ones so I don't honestly know which mod adds it to test.

On 14/12/2015, 20:54:47, KillAshley said:

new id find something new to check after i release it lol. TBH i don't use waypoints apart from contract generated ones so I don't honestly know which mod adds it to test.

It is the contract ones :S  But it might be fixed now... I still haven't fired up KSP, so feel free to totally ignore me until I get back into it with 1.1 :)

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

0.2 BETA believe it! (but still you have 0.1 link in the OP, lol)

i dont know what you're talking about....i definitely DIDN'T forget to change the link ok i might have a little

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

It is the contract ones :S  But it might be fixed now... I still haven't fired up KSP, so feel free to totally ignore me until I get back into it with 1.1 :)

ill heck it out at some point though, cheers for letting me know

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing through this mod for a while, love the update.  Pretty much covered the Kerbin SOI, working on an Eve flyby now. My longterm plan is to try for a Grand Tour using KSPIE. Just out of curiousity, is there a wiki or anything for this mod? Interested in sharing stuff like best ascent profile from the new Kerbin, planetary info, aerobraking info, all the stuff we already know and love to look up about the stock universe. Happy to help in any way I can.

17 hours ago, Jetski said:

Been playing through this mod for a while, love the update.  Pretty much covered the Kerbin SOI, working on an Eve flyby now. My longterm plan is to try for a Grand Tour using KSPIE. Just out of curiousity, is there a wiki or anything for this mod? Interested in sharing stuff like best ascent profile from the new Kerbin, planetary info, aerobraking info, all the stuff we already know and love to look up about the stock universe. Happy to help in any way I can.

thatd be great dude, If you post anything you find in this thread I'll organize it at some point and add it all into a wiki. Oh and remember any issues let me know ASAP and i'll get it sorted right out for you all!

Ok, so first impressions, plating through career, disclaimer here that I'm flying missions not doing testing, so this isn't necessarily Science (tm). 

1)Kerbin atmosphere is deeper, so higher initial Ap needed orbiting. I find the regular straight up until reaching 100 ms then tipping over a few degrees still works, then you can pretty much follow Prograde from thete the whole way up until 80+ km.  Coming back atmosphere is thick, so never a problem slowing enough to deploy chutes. Also less ablation burnout than stock. And an AMAZING view of kerbin rings as you cruising around low orbit.

2)Minmus is no longer the free playground for Sci as in stock.  Tiny SOI means a pain and dv to get an intercept, and no more pretty flat lakes for landing. Also low Sci multipliers and fewer biomes (at lea st that I've found) mean you are doing it with lower tech.  Barely worth the visit, except that you have to go way out there to get the high space Sci anyways. Quite hard to get an intercept without tracking station upgrade. Also orbital survey height is a very narrow band 25 to 34km near the edge of soi, so hard to get into.  Note when I'm saying something is difficult, it's not a complaint, I downloaded this mod to try new challenges :)

3) Mun feels bigger and heavier, I haven't checked stats, but I felt like some eXtra dv was needed, and the biomes are different, so harder to do the initial hops for gobs of Sci. Also dres nearby is cool, making me work for early tech.  One suggestion I offer is a slightly higher experience multiplier, I felt that if I flagged all 3 local planets and popped out into solar soi in one trip, my crew deserved the coveted third star. 

4) Eve is a LOT harder to get an intercept, felt more like a Moho dive to get down there and make orbit (too timid to aerobrake). Also no more free Sci from Gilly for basically no dv. Didn't help that I did it before nukes, and lugged a vacuum lander with me for no reason. My bad. Weirdly the Pe disappears into the atmosphere even though the info panel says atmosphere height is still 90k. 

I'm about to get my Eve flyby now, and finally researched the massive data crunching scilabs from kspi (10k data!), so looking forward to kicking down the rest of the tech tree. Next big mission is Jool! Loving this mod so far

Edit: annoying just found out I've been playing with reentry heat at 50%, might be an issue with ascents, and definitely explain ablation use. Will continue research

Edited by Jetski

16 hours ago, Jetski said:

Ok, so first impressions, plating through career, disclaimer here that I'm flying missions not doing testing, so this isn't necessarily Science (tm). 

1)Kerbin atmosphere is deeper, so higher initial Ap needed orbiting. I find the regular straight up until reaching 100 ms then tipping over a few degrees still works, then you can pretty much follow Prograde from thete the whole way up until 80+ km.  Coming back atmosphere is thick, so never a problem slowing enough to deploy chutes. Also less ablation burnout than stock. And an AMAZING view of kerbin rings as you cruising around low orbit.

2)Minmus is no longer the free playground for Sci as in stock.  Tiny SOI means a pain and dv to get an intercept, and no more pretty flat lakes for landing. Also low Sci multipliers and fewer biomes (at lea st that I've found) mean you are doing it with lower tech.  Barely worth the visit, except that you have to go way out there to get the high space Sci anyways. Quite hard to get an intercept without tracking station upgrade. Also orbital survey height is a very narrow band 25 to 34km near the edge of soi, so hard to get into.  Note when I'm saying something is difficult, it's not a complaint, I downloaded this mod to try new challenges :)

3) Mun feels bigger and heavier, I haven't checked stats, but I felt like some eXtra dv was needed, and the biomes are different, so harder to do the initial hops for gobs of Sci. Also dres nearby is cool, making me work for early tech.  One suggestion I offer is a slightly higher experience multiplier, I felt that if I flagged all 3 local planets and popped out into solar soi in one trip, my crew deserved the coveted third star. 

4) Eve is a LOT harder to get an intercept, felt more like a Moho dive to get down there and make orbit (too timid to aerobrake). Also no more free Sci from Gilly for basically no dv. Didn't help that I did it before nukes, and lugged a vacuum lander with me for no reason. My bad. Weirdly the Pe disappears into the atmosphere even though the info panel says atmosphere height is still 90k. 

I'm about to get my Eve flyby now, and finally researched the massive data crunching scilabs from kspi (10k data!), so looking forward to kicking down the rest of the tech tree. Next big mission is Jool! Loving this mod so far

Edit: annoying just found out I've been playing with reentry heat at 50%, might be an issue with ascents, and definitely explain ablation use. Will continue research

Awesome feedback/tips dude, keep them coming :wink:

1> I am still toying with the atmosphere, balancing it for Kerbin is hard, however I think at the moment it's pretty cool, just needs refining

2> I made it so there's only 3 biomes on Minmus now (no more science hoarding lol). I might raise the science levels up a tiny bit to compensate for the rendezvous needed. However I'm already uncomfortable with the height of the SOI as I feel it should be smaller, but i needed to give at least a band for scanning :P. Luckily its low grav means landing is still nice and easy!

3> It is indeed bigger, but its gravity is roughly the same luckily. Im not sure how to edit the experience multiplier, but I'll have a look at it, cheers!

4> Aeorbraking is a tad easier, as i lowered the atmosphere slightly to compensate. Very odd about the panel info though, the atmo height should be at 95km, I'll have a look and see if i can find the cause of the (mis)information.

any other comments, suggestions or just general feedback let me know dude, love to hear it and it all help me improve it.

Ok, finished my Eve flyby, atmosphere height is in fact 95k, not 90. My bad. I managed to make orbit, then tried just dipping enough for upper atmosphere Sci. Wow, the difference between 94,300 and 93000 is HUGE. Had to do a revert, as my poor Eva kerbal overheated and vanished instantly in a puff of smoke.  Not unexpected behavior mind you, as I was in a very eliptical orbit, moving fast. Tried another dip at higher altitude and survived with precious science. Now I have a chain of Sci labs about 900km kerbin orbit, crunching and munching away on data. One item worth mentioning is warp speed in LKO is annoying, with very small bands of slow warp at 85k, 100k, etc. Makes orbital manouvers tedious unless you waste the dv to get higher.  It would be awesome if it just went to 50x as soon as you reach space. Particularly for things like the atmosphere scoop in KSPI, where you really have to skim the atmosphere, and resources accumulate slowly. Now onwards to Laythe!

On 2/1/2016 at 11:43 PM, Jetski said:

Ok, finished my Eve flyby, atmosphere height is in fact 95k, not 90. My bad. I managed to make orbit, then tried just dipping enough for upper atmosphere Sci. Wow, the difference between 94,300 and 93000 is HUGE. Had to do a revert, as my poor Eva kerbal overheated and vanished instantly in a puff of smoke.  Not unexpected behavior mind you, as I was in a very eliptical orbit, moving fast. Tried another dip at higher altitude and survived with precious science. Now I have a chain of Sci labs about 900km kerbin orbit, crunching and munching away on data. One item worth mentioning is warp speed in LKO is annoying, with very small bands of slow warp at 85k, 100k, etc. Makes orbital manouvers tedious unless you waste the dv to get higher.  It would be awesome if it just went to 50x as soon as you reach space. Particularly for things like the atmosphere scoop in KSPI, where you really have to skim the atmosphere, and resources accumulate slowly. Now onwards to Laythe!

yeah I have tried to stagger the timewarp limits, but I'll have another look, I don't know about 50x but I'll play around :wink:. I'll double check my atmosphere on Eve, make sure that brick wall isnt my cause (better safe than sorry!)

Have fun landing splashing down on Laythe! Let me know if theres any issues with the barycenter/SOI's/etc.

13 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Here's a Uncharted Lands Gift Package. Feel free to use this however you wish.

great work dude! I'll link in the OP :D

Wow.  Just...wow.  I've got to say that playing through this mod without researching the planets beforehand is quite an experience. Similar to when I first started in .23 and I brought a jet engine to Eve to see if it would work.  Or I this case landing gear on an SSTO to Laythe. There really isn't any land, is there?  Anyway, I understand your splash down comment now. Needless to say, it didn't go well. One problem I had was an inability to aerobrake at all, for either capture or landing, even from absolute lowest orbit. LLO speed is 2700ish, and my ship breaks up and burns quickly.  Going to try a powered descent to splashdown, got a tanker arriving to assist. If I can use rockets to slow enough, perhaps it will survive long enough to get intakes working. Using thermal nuke jets, so I can fly forever, maybe get some flying low data at least, if I can't splashdown successfully. KSP is fun again!

Drawing up plans now for a nuke seaplane. 

Edited by Jetski

@KillAshley Not sure if I am the only one, but i am still holding out for 6.4x scale compatibility. The reason I am waiting is I was unsure of how far your going to go for the rescale. I thought you might better adapt/change the PQS mods for better terrain variation at that scale i.e. not flat everywhere like the current 6.4 kerbin system. Though if you are just going to scale radii without touching the PQS then I will just do it myself as that's very easy. Thanks again for your amazing work with Kopernicus! :) 

2 hours ago, Svm420 said:

@KillAshley Not sure if I am the only one, but i am still holding out for 6.4x scale compatibility. The reason I am waiting is I was unsure of how far your going to go for the rescale. I thought you might better adapt/change the PQS mods for better terrain variation at that scale i.e. not flat everywhere like the current 6.4 kerbin system. Though if you are just going to scale radii without touching the PQS then I will just do it myself as that's very easy. Thanks again for your amazing work with Kopernicus! :) 

If you want to try out a rescaled version of Uncharted Lands you may try my mod SigmaDimensions.

sadly UL has some issues with rescales, I am trying to solve them but for some reason the colors mess up when rescaling the planets.

I've asked both @KillAshley and @Thomas P. but they couldn't give me an explanation of why the weird color issue happens.

anyway if you are interested I can explain to you how to set it up

11 hours ago, Svm420 said:

I've actually been trying to get SigmaDimensions working with UL, but as @Sigma88 said theres some color issues in PQS View, I might have to make my own cfgs if it cant be resolved. Unfortunately I'm taking a few days off from working on my packs due to a lack of motivation and some personal issues, but as soon as i come back to it I'll whip up a 64K cfg for you :wink:

and yes I'm hoping to add some minor terrain variation (if only slightly) to stop larger bodies becoming TOO boring!

On 8/1/2016 at 9:14 AM, KillAshley said:

I've actually been trying to get SigmaDimensions working with UL, but as @Sigma88 said theres some color issues in PQS View, I might have to make my own cfgs if it cant be resolved. Unfortunately I'm taking a few days off from working on my packs due to a lack of motivation and some personal issues, but as soon as i come back to it I'll whip up a 64K cfg for you :wink:

and yes I'm hoping to add some minor terrain variation (if only slightly) to stop larger bodies becoming TOO boring!

Issues are solved now :D

should work 100%

Edited by Sigma88

• 2 weeks later...

The new Kerbin looks absolutely GORGEOUS. It also looks a lot like D'Qar from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And Takodana looks like Erin from Planet Factory. Does anyone think J. J. Abrams inspired some of the planets from KSP mods?

Also, @KillAshley, how did you remove the PQSMods from the stock planets to edit them? I want to test out texture making with Kittopia on the stock bodies in KSP.

On 22/1/2016 at 4:38 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

The new Kerbin looks absolutely GORGEOUS. It also looks a lot like D'Qar from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And Takodana looks like Erin from Planet Factory. Does anyone think J. J. Abrams inspired some of the planets from KSP mods?

Also, @KillAshley, how did you remove the PQSMods from the stock planets to edit them? I want to test out texture making with Kittopia on the stock bodies in KSP.

havent seen the movie so no, there is no inspiration from there in the slightest

if you look at the cfgs youll easily be able to see how i removed them. Or better yet have a look at the kopernicus examples i made which will tell you too

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.