[1.1.2]NSS/OctoSat-SOAR S3-A300 (Modular Satellites, Reusable launchers)[0.72- 11Jun16]

Nookos

Would there be any interest in making and including an Antenna side block that has the same features, or maybe a bit altered, as the Core Antenna? Also, possibly a Tri-RCS Block to go along with the four-way? As it stands now, if I want to include RCS in a dual-stacked probe, either the top or bottom port will be firing into / onto the probe itself depending on where it's placed.

12 hours ago, bas said:

Hey Nookos,

Can you update the download URL of you mod on CKAN?

No idea how to do that. But I ll have a look.

12 hours ago, Joco223 said:

@Nookos MAN those two planes look sexy. They are included in your mod or are they from some else mod? :)

Thanks. Yes they were the original idea that started the mod. The satellite system came about because the stock parts didn't fit S3's launch vehicles.

11 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

The OctoSat decoupler does not have any tweakscale support still. Nor do the Cargo bay, the plate or the separator.

I'm not sure why those parts wouldn't have tweakscale in your install if you didn't modify NSS_MM_TweakScale.cfg. It works for me.

script>DtRJmmN.jpg

9 hours ago, >The Amazing Spy< said:

Alright, first 2 bugs: One of the wheels on the landing gear (left and right) is spinning on a weird axis, and lowering your landing gear in flight = wings being torn off

I can not wait for the iva of the A300!

Yes the landing gears are a mess. I've been trying for a while to make proper landing gears with suspension and all but I fail. Orientation is wrong, suspension doesn't work. At high speed on the ground they will break. However lowering the gear at high speed in flight creating troubles is not really a bug. Just make sure your speed is low enough before getting the gears out ( <100m/s) Or install KerbalJointReinforcement.

11 hours ago, Kerban Aircraft Industries said:

That A300 looks awesome!

Thanks. It still lacks dirt and scratches on the textures. The engines need some work too.

2 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

Would there be any interest in making and including an Antenna side block that has the same features, or maybe a bit altered, as the Core Antenna? Also, possibly a Tri-RCS Block to go along with the four-way? As it stands now, if I want to include RCS in a dual-stacked probe, either the top or bottom port will be firing into / onto the probe itself depending on where it's placed.

A side antenna is part of the next update. It will be a 1.5m dish (5ft) with better range than the one included in the side command module. A 3way RCS block is a good idea. Thanks. Shouldn't be too much work to include it in the next update too.

You have a lot of mods installed it seems. Is that 64bit? I haven't tested my mod in 64bit yet, is it working ok?

Edited by Nookos

29 minutes ago, Nookos said:

I'm not sure why those parts wouldn't have tweakscale in your install if you didn't modify NSS_MM_TweakScale.cfg. It works for me.

script&gt;DtRJmmN.jpg

Didnt touch the config... just installed the mod and went about building the base to my Lunar Module... (the tweakscale components for the segments and the cores worked just fine)(incidentally 1.850m matches the width of the Mk 1 lander can).

49 minutes ago, Nookos said:

A side antenna is part of the next update. It will be a 1.5m dish (5ft) with better range than the one included in the side command module. A 3way RCS block is a good idea. Thanks. Shouldn't be too much work to include it in the next update too.

You have a lot of mods installed it seems. Is that 64bit? I haven't tested my mod in 64bit yet, is it working ok?

Nope, the install you see there is 32bit, a very heavily tweaked install. Almost everything that goes in is edited in some way, shape, or form to allow it to actually even start. I do have 64bit install, but I haven't played with it in a few days. Truth be told, I've reallyyy got to trim down some mods in the 32bit install due to the amount slowing down the game.

Currently, though, I'm using the 32bit install while testing to try and stop any rogue bugs that may try to showing their nasty head while I'm playing around to get a general first impression of the mod. Doing so gives me a "foundation" to go off of, if you will. This way, should I play the 64bit and use your mod, I already know what should happen since I played with it in 32bit. So, should anything out of the ordinary happen in the 64bit build, I know it has to do with that, not your mod. 

Trust me, I get the whole 64bit bug thing. My basic rule of thumb is to just not post any bug reports if they happen while I play in the 64bit build.

Anyways, I'm done with my rambling. Looking forwards to the 3 way RCS! What I meant by an antenna in the side block, I meant something more along the lines of this picture:

TIWP1de.png?1

3 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

Didnt touch the config... just installed the mod and went about building the base to my Lunar Module... (the tweakscale components for the segments and the cores worked just fine)(incidentally 1.850m matches the width of the Mk 1 lander can).

Oops, my bad. Sorry about that. I forgot to update the NSS/Parts folder. I just fixed it. From the 0.65 only NSS/Parts should be deleted and replaced with the one in 0.65.1. Thanks for reporting the issue and sorry for the inconvenience.

2 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

Nope, the install you see there is 32bit, a very heavily tweaked install. Almost everything that goes in is edited in some way, shape, or form to allow it to actually even start. I do have 64bit install, but I haven't played with it in a few days. Truth be told, I've reallyyy got to trim down some mods in the 32bit install due to the amount slowing down the game.

Currently, though, I'm using the 32bit install while testing to try and stop any rogue bugs that may try to showing their nasty head while I'm playing around to get a general first impression of the mod. Doing so gives me a "foundation" to go off of, if you will. This way, should I play the 64bit and use your mod, I already know what should happen since I played with it in 32bit. So, should anything out of the ordinary happen in the 64bit build, I know it has to do with that, not your mod. 

Trust me, I get the whole 64bit bug thing. My basic rule of thumb is to just not post any bug reports if they happen while I play in the 64bit build.

Anyways, I'm done with my rambling. Looking forwards to the 3 way RCS! What I meant by an antenna in the side block, I meant something more along the lines of this picture:

TIWP1de.png?1

Oh so that looks like a 32bit install right on the edge :D Good luck with that. 64bit is great.. But antenna range didn't work for me so I didn't go forward with that career attempt.

Regarding the side antenna, sure that's another possibilty. It wasn't planned to add another omni antenna in a side module but why not. Is it exactly the same antenna you want on the side or just another omni rather than a dish?

On 2/21/2016 at 8:30 AM, Nookos said:

Regarding the side antenna, sure that's another possibilty. It wasn't planned to add another omni antenna in a side module but why not. Is it exactly the same antenna you want on the side or just another omni rather than a dish?

Honestly, since I'm the person that uses and says thanks for the parts, and not the person that has to model them, texture them, animate them, etc... I don't think it's my call if it's the same antenna or not. I, personally, don't have a problem with it being the same antenna. The only thing I can see that would come out of making a brand new one in a side module is that it can be modeled and animated to look cool and it gives another option. Though, if you make another antenna with different stats, say, a little bit under what the current one is capable of, then the player may feel s/he doesn't really have a choice at all since they'd have to use the "Core Antenna" to get the best stats.

Now, that was probably a bit out there, but I've seen people say similar things in the past, so I thought I'd bring it up. Also, about the, "another omni rather than a dish?", one reason I'd like a side mounted antenna module is so I can use it, and the humongous dish at the same time, as well as have a small engine on board to boot. Trust me, you can never have to many options!  :D

Thanks for, what I perceived as, offering to make the antenna module. I was just spouting ideas, but it's awesome to add another toy to the pile of options we can already choose from. Side note, if I perceived wrong, then I'm sorry...

Last bit, I swear! One thing that I forgot to mention earlier is how the M900 mesh dish could totally be altered to make the coolest dish in the world. It would have to be a new model and have some fancy animation, but I'm picturing something similar to the mesh transmitting dish on the MUOS satellites. The other, smaller, mesh dish is for receiving signals from the ground. Having something like that would be absolutely freaking amazing... Once again, totally rambling...  Keep up the great work, man!

Artist's Illustration of a MUOS Satellite:

WCjfb9i.jpg?1

Edited by FiiZzioN

18 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

Honestly, since I'm the person that uses and says thanks for the parts, and not the person that has to model them, texture them, animate them, etc... I don't think it's my call if it's the same antenna or not. I, personally, don't have a problem with it being the same antenna. The only thing I can see that would come out of making a brand new one in a side module is that it can be modeled and animated to look cool and it gives another option. Though, if you make another antenna with different stats, say, a little bit under what the current one is capable of, then the player may feel s/he doesn't really have a choice at all since they'd have to use the "Core Antenna" to get the best stats.

Now, that was probably a bit out there, but I've seen people similar things in the past, so I thought I'd bring it up. Also, about the, "another omni rather than a dish?", one reason I'd like a side mounted antenna module is so I can use it, and the humongous dish at the same time, as well as have a small engine on board to boot. Trust me, you can never have to many options!  :D

Thanks for, what I perceived as, offering to make the antenna module. I was just spouting ideas, but it's awesome to add another toy to the pile of options we can already choose from. Side note, if I perceived wrong, then I'm sorry...

Last bit, I swear! One thing that I forgot to mention earlier is how the M900 mesh dish could totally be altered to make the coolest dish in the world. It would have to be a new model and have some fancy animation, but I'm picturing something similar to the bit mesh transmitting dish on the MUOS satellites. The other, smaller, mesh dish is for receiving signals from the ground. Having something like that would be absolutely freaking amazing... Once again, totally rambling...  Keep up the great work, man!

The planned side dish is usable with the large top/bottom dish. There is a tiny draft of them at the bottom of this picture:

KSP_AntennaStack_Mk3.jpg

But still maybe a powerful omni-directional one could be useful for remote tech and maybe for 1.1. So it might get done one day too. Same about a side module deploying into something similar to the M900.

The next update is quite far away so in the meantime here are the RCS 2-way and RCS 3-way modules.

Edited by Nookos

11 hours ago, Nookos said:

But still maybe a powerful omni-directional one could be useful for remote tech and maybe for 1.1. 

This is exactly why I brought it up. I use RemoteTech so that's where the initial though popped up, but now that you say it, it would be nice for the communications update.

Also, forgot to put it here original,but thanks for the additional RCS modules! I didn't expect them, so quickly. I figured they would be placed with the next update; it was a nice surprise! Also, might I ask what the top two models are in your picture, especially the bits surrounding the one model? I've tried guessing, but I can't come up with anything solid.

Edited by FiiZzioN

So after updating ot 0.65.1, and attempting to fix my crafts (because it broke them) I get this error when trying to load them:

Craft Stockalike Saturn V (Mun) (OctoSat) was not loaded because it had the following parts missing:

OctoSat

In the log I see this:

[Error]: [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Stockalike Saturn V (Mun) (OctoSat) - No AvailablePart found for OctoSat

and

[Error]: [ShipTemplate]: Could not locate root part in Stockalike Saturn V (Mun) (OctoSat) as 5 entries remain after eliminating all parts listed as children. This is probably wrong.

You can find the craft here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14006682/Stockalike%20Saturn%20V%20(Mun)%20(OctoSat).craft

Edited by Avalon304

Nookos,

Long time reader/player, first time comment writer.  As a huge fan of tiny/intricate probes, this mod is GREAT!  Very happy to see the healthy level of dialogue and user/creator (FiiZzioN!) development.  Keep up the great work!

Edited by SpaceBun121

On 22/2/2016 at 10:21 PM, FiiZzioN said:

This is exactly why I brought it up. I use RemoteTech so that's where the initial though popped up, but now that you say it, it would be nice for the communications update.

Also, forgot to put it here original,but thanks for the additional RCS modules! I didn't expect them, so quickly. I figured they would be placed with the next update; it was a nice surprise! Also, might I ask what the top two models are in your picture, especially the bits surrounding the one model? I've tried guessing, but I can't come up with anything solid.

Sounds good to me. A powerful omni is very useful for communication networks and the existing ones are relatively weak. I will see what I can come up with regarding design and deployment for an omni side module.. Thanks for the idea.

Regarding the next update and those RCS module, I m not gonna be able to come up with a significant update anytime soon ( too much work). And as the RCS modules were very quick to make it would have been a shame not to..

On 23/2/2016 at 7:02 AM, Avalon304 said:

So after updating ot 0.65.1, and attempting to fix my crafts (because it broke them) I get this error when trying to load them:

Craft Stockalike Saturn V (Mun) (OctoSat) was not loaded because it had the following parts missing:

OctoSat

In the log I see this:

[Error]: [ShipConstruct]: Trying to load Stockalike Saturn V (Mun) (OctoSat) - No AvailablePart found for OctoSat

and

[Error]: [ShipTemplate]: Could not locate root part in Stockalike Saturn V (Mun) (OctoSat) as 5 entries remain after eliminating all parts listed as children. This is probably wrong.

You can find the craft here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14006682/Stockalike%20Saturn%20V%20(Mun)%20(OctoSat).craft

Sorry about this. I m not familiar enough with craft files. I have no clue why the game would add those numbers at the end of parts and no clue what that error could mean. I can only suggest to wait for this mod to be in add-on release to avoid losing ships. While I m still in development I might have to change nomenclature again as I did for TweakScale. I ll have a closer look at this when I have time in case you really want to repair that one..

14 hours ago, SpaceBun121 said:

Nookos,

Long time reader/player, first time comment writer.  As a huge fan of tiny/intricate probes, this mod is GREAT!  Very happy to see the healthy level of dialogue and user/creator (FiiZzioN!) development.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks and welcome to the forum.  o/

Edited by Nookos

On 2/24/2016 at 11:59 AM, Nookos said:

Sounds good to me. A powerful omni is very useful for communication networks and the existing ones are relatively weak. I will see what I can come up with regarding design and deployment for an omni side module.. Thanks for the idea.

Nookos, I use the Bluedog Industries antennas with RT... The small, flat round omni is now my go-to omni... I found the range to be way too high (15Mm), for such a small, cheap antenna, and especially with such small electrical usage...
I changed the range to 7.5Mm, and made the EC useage, twice the Comm32... I have found this to be a more realistic use, and seems to fit well in the game, offering omni range JUST that little bit over stock, without being the overly outrageous 15Mm as it's packaged...

So, I just thought I'd mention the range and increased EC usage, as something you might want to consider (if you havent already), in planning for an omni-wedge... I would think it would give more reason to use the wedge, over regular stock antennas, if the range were greater than stock...
By making the range 7.5Mm, I can use omnis ONLY for everything from Kerbin's surface out to a Mun 3sat relay, also with the same 7.5Mm omni... NO dishes required at all... :)

EDIT: I mispoke... While Bluedog Design Bureau has nice antennas, I originally meant that I use Blackleg Industries antennas... Had a brain-burp... lol

Edited by Stone Blue

On 24/2/2016 at 8:07 PM, Stone Blue said:

Nookos, I use the Bluedog Industries antennas with RT... The small, flat round omni is now my go-to omni... I found the range to be way too high (15Mm), for such a small, cheap antenna, and especially with such small electrical usage...
I changed the range to 7.5Mm, and made the EC useage, twice the Comm32... I have found this to be a more realistic use, and seems to fit well in the game, offering omni range JUST that little bit over stock, without being the overly outrageous 15Mm as it's packaged...

So, I just thought I'd mention the range and increased EC usage, as something you might want to consider (if you havent already), in planning for an omni-wedge... I would think it would give more reason to use the wedge, over regular stock antennas, if the range were greater than stock...
By making the range 7.5Mm, I can use omnis ONLY for everything from Kerbin's surface out to a Mun 3sat relay, also with the same 7.5Mm omni... NO dishes required at all... :)

I use the Bluedog parts too. Very good mod and great antennae.

I'll keep your comment in mind while creating the new omni. Thanks for sharing. o/

Not much of an update but I wanted to see the A300 in white. As it is done why not sharing it?..

A300 looks awesome! Can you make commercial airline liveries for it (i.e. Air France, American, etc..)

Another question: Do the flaps deploy by themselves and provide more lift, or do they deploy with the airbrakes?

Thanks @Joco223

1 hour ago, Delta_8930 said:

A300 looks awesome! Can you make commercial airline liveries for it (i.e. Air France, American, etc..)

Another question: Do the flaps deploy by themselves and provide more lift, or do they deploy with the airbrakes?

I was planning to do more liveries but not existing ones. However it isn't too much work, so why not.

I'm not happy with the flaps yet. They only behave as airbrakes right now. I would like them to be real flaps but I haven't found a way yet. Still a lot of work to do and problem to fix before the A300 is final.

1 minute ago, Nookos said:

Thanks @Joco223

I was planning to do more liveries but not existing ones. However it isn't too much work, so why not.

I'm not happy with the flaps yet. They only behave as airbrakes right now. I would like them to be real flaps but I haven't found a way yet. Still a lot of work to do and problem to fix before the A300 is final.

That might require a plugin in order to increase lift, slightly increase drag, and deploy separately from the air brakes.

On 2/24/2016 at 2:07 PM, Stone Blue said:

Nookos, I use the Bluedog Industries antennas with RT...

On 3/1/2016 at 4:43 PM, Nookos said:

I use the Bluedog parts too. Very good mod and great antennae.

:D

On 2/24/2016 at 2:07 PM, Stone Blue said:

EDIT: I mispoke... While Bluedog Design Bureau has nice antennas, I originally meant that I use Blackleg Industries antennas... Had a brain-burp... lol

:(

tbh the antennas have godawful textures so they're getting remade soon.

@Nookos that A300 is beautiful. Very stockalike.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.