Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

8 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

And if you were surprised to see Kuzzter using mods, you'll be shocked by the next part--I'm actually going to ask for advice!  What sort of better 'habitation' module could fit in the upper B pod instead of those two hitchhikers? I haven't looked through all the USI stuff yet, and would not want to add, say, MKS parts if they were going to make the life support stuff even more complicated than it already is. 

I've been trying out the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems mod, and it has really cool modules. They're intended for bases, but could be easily used on the [Redacted]. They have beautiful IVAs, which feel like truly habitable spaces, unlike the stock hitchhiker.

4 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

I've been trying out the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems mod, and it has really cool modules. They're intended for bases, but could be easily used on the [Redacted]. They have beautiful IVAs, which feel like truly habitable spaces, unlike the stock hitchhiker.

I agree, and even though they can be *slightly* bulky, you seem to have plenty of room in the KSS [REDACTED]!

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

So yep, another mod to my beautiful stock game though I'm not completely sold on it yet :) Seems logical though to have a freezer if I already made 'natural' hibernation canon.

Here's a thought.  If you do find some better modules to use as standard habitation units, you could use hitchhikers as the 'hibernation units'.  I don't know how that would work out space-wise, but it would avoid an additional mod with an additional resource to handle.  Of course, there's also the visual appeal of the freezer mod to consider.

Anyway, my thinking is that if they can hibernate naturally, then they could just use that ability and make sure they get rotated out of hibernation however often is necessary to avoid the negative health effects of prolonged hibe.  I've always thought that the need for freezers in sci-fi was because humans can't hibernate.  Kerbals (and, presumably, Kerbulans) are clearly the superior spacefaring race when compared to humans.

Happy Concerned landings!
I should probably be more than just concerned.  After all, there's a mysterious timer ticking away out there somewhere as well as the Kerbulans to consider.

30 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Here's a thought.  If you do find some better modules to use as standard habitation units, you could use hitchhikers as the 'hibernation units'.  I don't know how that would work out space-wise, but it would avoid an additional mod with an additional resource to handle.  Of course, there's also the visual appeal of the freezer mod to consider.

Good points--although a big part of the motivation for a hibernation unit is to avoid having to carry 50t of fertilizer. I do have some alternatives though. Probably the most attractive one is to follow through on my 'threat' to make fertilizer out of ore and mulch, either in the ISRU or the MPL. That way I only have to design for ~4 years endurance, making sure to grab some dirt periodically. 

And don't worry about Mister Blocko's timer, Bill already reset it off-panel. I'll let @Parkaboy keep his monopoly on countdowns to file corruption doomsday :) 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And if you were surprised to see Kuzzter using mods, you'll be shocked by the next part--I'm actually going to ask for advice!  What sort of better 'habitation' module could fit in the upper B pod instead of those two hitchhikers? I haven't looked through all the USI stuff yet, and would not want to add, say, MKS parts if they were going to make the life support stuff even more complicated than it already is. 

Well, you have 2 problems here.  The 1st is you're constrained to something of 2.5m form factor, not really any longer or heavier than a Hitchhiker, and that holds at least 4 Kerbals.  This limits you to a very few station part mods, and precludes anything inflatable.  The other problem is that in my experience, all parts meeting these requirements use the Hitchhiker's IVA so the only difference you'd see is on the outside.  Thus, I tend to just use the Hitchhiker so as to avoid having extra parts loaded.  Now, there could be something available these days that I'm unaware of, that has a different IVA but no promises.

44 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I do have some alternatives though. Probably the most attractive one is to follow through on my 'threat' to make fertilizer out of ore and mulch, either in the ISRU or the MPL. That way I only have to design for ~4 years endurance, making sure to grab some dirt periodically.

This actually does make a lot of sense to me.

And, as I think you said, if Mark Watney can do it, why not Bill and Bob Kerman?

Happy Concerned landings!

Edited by Starhawk

Ok have been trying out the Planetary Base stuff--and I think I really like it! I can put a few 4-kerb base modules on the back of the lower B-pod, forward of the bridge, and I think it looks pretty good both inside and out. Also included in this pack is an algae farm that makes fertilizer from ore and mulch, which is exactly what I was going to mod the MPL to do for me! So, looks like Deep Freeze is out, K&K Bases is in, and we'll be designing for 4 years endurance. Still need to work on those probes, not sure I'll get to it today. 

8 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

I agree, I find KPBS pretty indispensible. It is compatible with DeepFreeze, but unfortunately (or for you, fortunately) it doesn't have much besides habitats and a bit of science.

4 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

I agree, I find KPBS pretty indispensible. It is compatible with DeepFreeze, but unfortunately (or for you, fortunately) it doesn't have much besides habitats and a bit of science.

Funny you should mention that, I've been considering adding ModuleManager templates to Pathfinder that would add the mod's Science, Habitation, and Industry functionality to various KPBS modules. I already have the ability to vary efficiency of the modules, so different sized facilities will have varying degrees of productivity.

18 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Ok have been trying out the Planetary Base stuff--and I think I really like it! I can put a few 4-kerb base modules on the back of the lower B-pod, forward of the bridge, and I think it looks pretty good both inside and out. Also included in this pack is an algae farm that makes fertilizer from ore and mulch, which is exactly what I was going to mod the MPL to do for me! So, looks like Deep Freeze is out, K&K Bases is in, and we'll be designing for 4 years endurance. Still need to work on those probes, not sure I'll get to it today.

I am playing around a lot with the PBS mod and it puts a lot of fun in making ground bases, but i use it as well as hibernation and habitation sections for my cryoship.

in case you did not already notice:  Nils, the author of PBS announced some very interesting looking variable "garage" parts just before christmas which i think could fit perfectly in your capital ship design, but they are not released yet and of course i do not know if they will be in the nearer future or how far your design has already progressed - just wanted to mention it :wink:

i love your stories btw!

regards,

martin

4 hours ago, Redhaze said:

Thanks! But I already use it.

I posted that on the wrong thread, sorry! :(

Ok, I'm making a mess here: it was on THIS thread (p. 43) I just am a bit late in the conversation.

Since people were talking about USI-LS and simplistic LS systems, what about IFILS by Stavell?

Edited by jlcarneiro

lyK6vrc.png

xndiHG3.png

UhCKo7W.png

So, why Intrepid? And why didn't I just say so earlier? The answer to the second question first: I didn't decide on it until just a few days ago. Before that I thought to call it the Galactic (in fact that's the name on the craft files up to 0.80) and before that I wanted to do something friendship/loyalty related, based off the root "fidelis". 

Why Intrepid? I always liked "adjectival" ship names like Indefatigable, Resolute, etc. And this one fits the image of Kerbfleet very well I think. In addition it's the name of an American aircraft carrier that has had more than a little bit to do with our human space program. Anyway, borrowing a name from a US Navy carrier worked out pretty well for a somewhat more famous interplanetary exploration vessel. :) 

Post is already a bit long but here's some more technical information on the mods. The algae containers each (I have 8) make only 0.43 fertilizer/hour as supplied. This seems to match with the 'old' USI-LS greenhouse which made 0.86 supplies/hour from .1433 fertilizer. But the latest greenhouse makes 18.36 supplies an hour from 2.16 fertilizer, and the kerbal consumption rate has been raised to match (16.2 supplies/day) So I'll config the algae to make 9.18 fertilizer each per hour and scale up the other inputs accordingly. This all means I'll have to park on an ore deposit for several weeks to convert 19 tons of mulch (full tanks) back into 19 tons of fertilizer--seems a reasonable time to refresh for a second five-year voyage.

Other configuring fun: in USI-LS the stock research lab is a 70% recycler that can serve up to 5 kerbals' needs. I think I'm going to make the four Planetary Base hab modules be the recyclers in this setup--seems reasonable to me that each one should be able to recycle for the 3 kerbs that live in it, at a 70% rate. 

There! Enough shenanigans. Next up I'll either test some probes, or just say "fudge it" and get the Intrepid into orbit. I can always dock the probes later, and I'm getting impatient to fly something for real :D 

ETA: Links to the mods--

Kerbal Planetary Base System
USI Life Support
USI Core (fission reactors)

Edited by Kuzzter

4 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

So, why Intrepid? And why didn't I just say so earlier? The answer to the second question first: I didn't decide on it until just a few days ago. Before that I thought to call it the Galactic (in fact that's the name on the craft files up to 0.80) and before that I wanted to do something friendship/loyalty related, based off the root "fidelis". 

Why Intrepid? I always liked "adjectival" ship names like Indefatigable, Resolute, etc. And this one fits the image of Kerbfleet very well I think. In addition it's the name of an American aircraft carrier that has had more than a little bit to do with our human space program. Anyway, borrowing a name from a US Navy carrier worked out pretty well for a somewhat more famous interplanetary exploration vessel. :) 

Very good choice...but are you familiar with the story of the USS Intrepid in Star Trek TOS???

If not, google "The Immunity Syndrome", you may get a laugh!  :0.0:

23 minutes ago, Thegamer211 said:

Maybe you should try the Deep freeze mod,

It adds the ability to freeze your kerbals so they don't use life support.

Yeah, I did look at that and you can see a Deep Freeze module a few updates ago. Decided against it in favor of the post I ninja'd you with :) 

3 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

*looks at time* ... 2:45 AM.... I think I've been waiting a while for something to happen in mission reports.

And I also know that the K.S.S Interprid is going nowhere fast... At least without Mammoths :) 

Oh yes, there will be mammoths. I think I've given a peek at the expendable boost stage a few pages back--yes there are enough mammoths to make Mort weep--and yes, it orbits :) 

6 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

The Intrepid is one of my favorite ships. Have you visited it yet? Bring Kuzzter Jr., he'll enjoy it.

Yes, I visited about 20 years ago, before they had Enterprise on it. And yeah, there's a school break coming up and we're thinking of going to see it--both kids were really excited when I told them about all the craft on display :)