Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

While I work on the next pages, good discussion going on in Emiko Station (posting here to avoid Jim's thread going TOO far off topic) about theme music for the KSP comics. This is the one I hear for Jool Odyssey--one of these days would love to have a video of Intrepid, Gumdrops, Skimmeroo, etc flying over various features of the Jool system, in a remake of this opening :D 

45 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

While I work on the next pages, good discussion going on in Emiko Station (posting here to avoid Jim's thread going TOO far off topic) about theme music for the KSP comics. This is the one I hear for Jool Odyssey--one of these days would love to have a video of Intrepid, Gumdrops, Skimmeroo, etc flying over various features of the Jool system, in a remake of this opening :D 

OK, I'll go off topic a little here instead... lmao.  It's funny, I'm not a big STV fan, but they did have the nicest of all the opening sequences. Well, except the intro to the Enterprise Mirror Episode.  That one would be a prefect fit for the Kerbulan's, if they had an intro.

Now... back to our regularly scheduled mayhem.... lol... 

22 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Funny you should mention that, in my original script that was exactly how Glide Squadron was going to try to defend KSC. But then I thought it would be more exciting to put them and Enterprise IN SPACE, so that's what I did :) 

I am SO glad you did..... that Enterprise liftoff was worthy of Dr. Who.   :)

Edited by Just Jim

Look, the console commands are great and all, but are we gonna ignore the stealth technology of the missile? The radar cross sections is the same as a bird, but the thing itself is over 5 meters long. Quite impressive for a cruise missile!

And @Kuzzter, have you ever read The Bear and the Dragon, by Tom Clancy? Politics aside, this sequence here reminds me of an important moment in it.

Edited by Dman979
Corrected an "an" to an "a."

9 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

are we gonna ignore the stealth technology of the missile? The radar cross sections is the same as a bird, but the thing itself is over 5 meters long. Quite impressive for an cruise missile

Whoa, what's that? An actual on-topic post? I should have a special ring tone for that! :wink:

But we really don't know how big a kattbird is, do we? Larger than a knatt, to be sure, but unless it makes another canonical appearance the Forum may never know!

Just now, Kuzzter said:

Whoa, what's that? An actual on-topic post? I should have a special ring tone for that! :wink:

But we really don't know how big a kattbird is, do we? Larger than a knatt, to be sure, but unless it makes another canonical appearance the Forum may never know!

Larger than a Kittehkat, smaller than 5 meters.

29 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Based on Herlongs surprised reaction, I would guesstimate a kattbird is really, really large. Turkey buzzard or eagle sized at least....

Wait... how about Kondor sized???   :D

Edited by Just Jim

Sorry people, but I've had to snip a few off-topic posts from this thread. In addition, keep any forum-game-type activity to the forum games section. Glad everybody is having fun, but there are proper places for all these forms of entertainment :)

Obviously, being in a retrograde orbit gives you a higher frequency of passimg over a certain point on the planet. Hence the Kerbulans would have selected such an orbit unless they went for a polar orbit in order to cover the entire planet. No idea why Leonard Nimoy is searching for them in a prograde orbit...

43 minutes ago, something said:

Obviously, being in a retrograde orbit gives you a higher frequency of passimg over a certain point on the planet. Hence the Kerbulans would have selected such an orbit unless they went for a polar orbit in order to cover the entire planet. No idea why Leonard Nimoy is searching for them in a prograde orbit...

First cruise missile came from the west, and Micarooni is in a prograde orbit. Logic dictates the attacker is prograde as well. 

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

and Micarooni is in a prograde orbit. Logic dictates the attacker is prograde as well.

To blow something up one doesn't need any kind of plane matching - they could have destroyed a station from orthogonal or retrograde orbit easily enough

But of course the fact that

11 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

First cruise missile came from the west

means that the orbit it was launched from is within maneuvering capabilities of a winged missile to maneuver itself into this attack vector on reentry (yet it's totally possible to drive even a shuttle into such approach from 30-40 degree inclination)

So estimating the attacker's orbit from this kind of intel has quite a huge uncertainty even if you assume it doesn't maneuver much (and who knows how much extra Delta v could be packed into interplanetary warship)

1 hour ago, Alchemist said:

To blow something up one doesn't need any kind of plane matching - they could have destroyed a station from orthogonal or retrograde orbit easily enough

This would be true in real life. However, in KSP, 2 craft on opposed orbits usually clip through each other without doing any damage.

The ghost's ship is probably not in a ortogonal orbit either: on every image we have seen, it is above the equator. Coincidence?

No coincidence, he's at the equator--all the easier to bomb KSC from there, and why bother having a different orbit if no one can see you?

Actually "wargaming" all of this really points out, if I didn't already know it, the absurdity IRL of ship-to-ship space battles. It's hard enough to rendezvous with something that isn't actively avoiding you. Heck, just look what I had to contrive to get Intrepid and the Kerbulans close enough for dramatic tension. Sure, you could have an interplanetary war with strategic missiles and by bringing atmospheric and ground forces--it'd take decades. But starships out in the void going "pew pew pew" at each other? Forget it!