Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

In my 1.0.5 Game I am using Roverdude's life support(it only turns non-orange-suit kerboanuts into tourists until they get more food instead of killing them, I don't like killing kerbals) as well as his Kolonization system.

While previously I was sending a Scansat then following up with a Kerbaled ISRU vessel, I am now sending out Scansats followed up by a Fuel Depot with a Logistics hub(drone with drills, power, ISRU, lots of fuel storage, a couple large life support tanks, and the larger greenhouse to turn mulch into more noms with the hub that lets me send resources to any ship that is landed or in a stable orbit in the local SOI for a reasonable fuel cost)

That way I have fuel and food resources in place before any Kerbals arrive in-SOI.

My Duna ship(only kerbeled vessel currently outside the Kerbin SOI) also has 2 seats per kerbal and a gender balanced crew to help alleviate the tedium of a 170 day transit(not so good at using launch windows)

Thanks Kuzzter for explaining this to me. I did not know that this space marine things from aliens are actually a real thing.

Also, the adaption of the forums for your kerbal network is quite clever. One thing though, I know it is Wernhers character (since he was, well, german) but do you really have to use such long words? Weltraumfahrzeugträger is absolutely correct, yes, but no one would use a word like this for this :) I find this to be quite funny.

(just for nitpicking side-information :P you wouldn't say "aeronautical automotive craft" but rather "airplane", right?)

Edited by Farex

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Hmm.  I would think the Kerbulans would consider such research 'soft and decadent' and not have their ships bogged down by such luxuries.

Yes... a warrior cares not for 'long term health risks'. :) I'll have to make sure the Kerbulans can still function whenever they're in the same install, I don't intend to have them 'need' NOMS. 

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

In my 1.0.5 Game I am using Roverdude's life support(it only turns non-orange-suit kerboanuts into tourists until they get more food instead of killing them, I don't like killing kerbals) as well as his Kolonization system.

Right, I considered that too--but I don't know if I want that much complexity in this go. I might mod ISRU to be able to create fertilizer from ore + mulch (hey, if Watney could do it, why not Bill?) or just carry enough supplies to stay out for a really long time.

25 minutes ago, Farex said:

...do you really have to use such long words? Weltraumfahrzeugträger is absolutely correct, yes, but no one would use a word like this for this :) I find this to be quite funny.

If you find it to be funny, then I did my job :) And I hope you and other German speakers don't mind me poking a little fun at compound nouns. A far greater American humorist than myself wrote extensively on the subject in 1880, I'm tempted to post a quote here but it's maybe better not to :D

Edited by Kuzzter

7 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

So yes, I'll be installing USI Life Support by the great @RoverDude! This is going to add some challenges, and it's the real reason (explained in the comic by Mort's cancellation of crewed flights) that I pulled everyone back to LKO during the return trip from Eve. I'll probably have a couple of large NOMS tanks, greenhouses and some fertilizer aboard the [REDACTED] to make sure everyone is happy for the whole trip to and from Jool: at some point I'll also have to get some NOMS up to Micarooni Station as well.

Ah, USI-LS and its incredibly sustaining nourishment, NOMS.  In the Travelling Circus, NOMS are known as "junk", best described as follows:

5 hours ago, Sanic said:

Xtreme space battlez!

One warrior race who considers it the deepest shame to return home without expending all of their ammunition causing death and destruction to others vs a peace-loving society of lovable fools who willingly put themselves in harm's way to learn about their universe. At this point it sounds more like a slaughter than a battle, but perhaps the Kerbal's insatiable appetite for knowledge (and NOMS) is what will prove to be the deciding factor in the end

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

One warrior race who considers it the deepest shame to return home without expending all of their ammunition causing death and destruction to others vs a peace-loving society of lovable fools who willingly put themselves in harm's way to learn about their universe. At this point it sounds more like a slaughter than a battle, but perhaps the Kerbal's insatiable appetite for knowledge (and NOMS) is what will prove to be the deciding factor in the end

I don't know. Loveable fools they might be, but they're not short of raw courage either. (Sure - I'll strap myself to this stack of SRB's - what could go wrong!) If push came to shove, I think Kerbfleet could surprise everyone - probably including Kerbfleet.

Anyhow - loving the new story, especially Sarge. We need moar Sarge! :)

OK folks, here's a better look at the current ship concept...

5ZvezUn.png

8fQmiK0.png

4 hours ago, KSK said:

I don't know. Loveable fools they might be, but they're not short of raw courage either. (Sure - I'll strap myself to this stack of SRB's - what could go wrong!) If push came to shove, I think Kerbfleet could surprise everyone - probably including Kerbfleet.

Right on. Aggression does not necessarily imply courage, nor vice versa. In fact, quite often the two are mutually exclusive. Hooray for our 'lovable fools'! :D

Edited by Kuzzter

Wow, that's going to be an epic ship!

I loved Bill's last line.  :D

I'm pleased to see Dilsby involved in the development process, as well.  I'm also glad that the pictures aren't redacted like the name.
Looks like a tight fit.  And I share Dilsby's uncertainty over the space doors.

Happy Concerned landings!

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Cool! I can't see it, but I love those .png files :P

The wait to get home commences.

Poor Dman. Always First!, but also Blind! and seeing references to "space doors" and "OMG look at the size of that thing!" until he gets home to unrestricted access :D

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Wow, that's going to be an epic ship!

I loved Bill's last line.  :D

I'm pleased to see Dilsby involved in the development process, as well.  I'm also glad that the pictures aren't redacted like the name.
Looks like a tight fit.  And I share Dilsby's uncertainty over the space doors.

Thanks! Just a note... you may notice that the hangar is six segments long, and the Longboat needed TWO full-sized cargo bays totaling eight segments. So the actual [REDACTED] is going to have to be even BIGGER than this hangar concept ship!

It is indeed a fun exercise to try and use stock parts to internally carry something wider than any stock cargo bay. I may end up modding some parts myself to make the concept work--or I may throw the whole thing out and re-design the big landers to fit inside a Mk3. Whelp, that's why we test first!

KSS Mort's Pride.

KSS Gravitational Anomaly.

KSS We Built a Bigger Boat.

I could go on. :) Anyhow that bad boy is going be a bit like the Saturn V going up. 

"Bill - did we just launch or did we just push Kerbin out of the way?"

5 minutes ago, KSK said:

KSS Mort's Pride.

KSS Gravitational Anomaly.

KSS We Built a Bigger Boat.

I could go on. :) Anyhow that bad boy is going be a bit like the Saturn V going up. 

"Bill - did we just launch or did we just push Kerbin out of the way?"

KSS Redacted By Kerbfleet Security. ;)

KSS Why

KSS No

KSS Lag

KSS Llllaaaaagggg

KSS ittakestenminutestoload

KSS HelpMe

KSS Mort hates him! Found out how Wherner used this one weird trick to reduce your framerate!

KSS AltF4

KSS CtrlAltDel

KSS KSP.exe has stopped working

KSS gargh

KSS *dead*

Edited by Willbl3pic

KSS Homemade Singularity :D And i bet my monies on Kerbals - in our worlds history, Proud Warrior Races tended to lose (badly) to much more diverse societies of merchants, builders, scientists and lazy, complaining masses of bread eaters.