Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

2 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

This should have been a non-starter for selecting IPS. How on earth did you guys manage to select a new forum software that couldn't migrate URLs properly?

Maintaining inbound links with regards to search engines and external blogs and websites should have been the highest priority item in your evaluation. Now, all Google searches are going to lead to 404 errors. That's really stupid.

Also, there seems to be something weird with the text font. Is it bold by default or something ? 

You can still look up the cache. Example provided.

But yeah, that's slightly nuts IMHO... Still, better than no migration I guess ?

The old forums were effectively broken. For me at least. Here I can actually log on... And post.

These forums are fine. Yes, things change, and you don't have to like it, but the difference is small.

Edited by KasperVld
Removing a quote that was deleted.

25 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

The old forums were effectively broken. For me at least. Here I can actually log on... And post.

These forums are fine. Yes, things change, and you don't have to like it, but the difference is small.

They said the "upgrade was disastrous" referring to the upgrading process and it was. I have low expectations of Squad these days but even I wouldn't have predicted something like this.

2 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Wow, that's rude.

If you think that broken links (ALL OF THEM) are "small difference" - well... I'm out of words.

WRT rude: Yeh, I know, and I would probably get a ban for that. And I don't care. As I said earlier, they decided to fix the thing that actually worked.

WRT "old forums broken": IDK about your browser, but I've used IEs (8,9,10), Firefox and Chrome to access the old forums - and I've encountered zero bugs.

7 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I think it's fine. It is much more mobile friendly than last. But if you don't like it that's understandable. There is a relevant XKCD though...

Mobile friendly  ? Are we even in the same dimension right now ? Haven't tried it on pc yet, but on mobile there is a significant loss of functionality and the texte editor is acting weirdly to way the least.

That's the one guy I have on ignore, and now I remember why. "Change wrecked your stuff/causing you pain? I'm alright, you should just put up with it".

There's still broken links/unconverted BB code - good that there's been an attempt at sorting that out, but it didn't catch a lot of the old posts.

For myself, I`m just going to take a break from the forums rather than moan. If the colour scheme gets looked at and the sheer amount of screen space taken up with a single post is reduced I`ll be back but if this is what the forums are now I`m done. There are reasons I don`t visit reddit or facebook and they are on my screen right now.

I`ll check regularly to see if any change happens but I won`t hold my breath.

At least we got imgur albums back now if someone can do something about this color selection it's straining my eyes...

Also this should have been wheeled back into the vab if you couldn't keep the old links working do you have any idea of the reach of the damage you have just wrought?

42 minutes ago, Alewx said:

Mobile accessability. the only real reason I can see so far.

So I don't understand why there is so much wasted place on the web pages. Mobiles have very small screen, thing have to be compact and readable.

This skin is not compact at all

So when I click the page number is scrolls to top and then puts on the "loading" message?

When I hit replay it scrolls all the way to the bottom of the page?

Post editor has way too much meat between lines.

I don't like this. :|

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

Does this not imply that as soon as people rebuild their follow/subscription lists, the problem will reoccur? (In my head it relates to the amount of database stuff that has to be trawled per user as they use the site.)

Removing subs was really not something to have done lightly, IMHO. Google searches no longer find the things on this forum that we used to follow. Forum searches don't always find the things we used to follow. Links from the forum posts we can find, do not work any more. I'm struggling to find the dev thread for a lot of mods I like to re-follow them :/

Yes, if the clearing of the subscriptions "fixed" the problem because the server isn't now trying to send out bucketloads of emails, then removing the subscriptions was very silly.  Surely it would have been possible to change them to notify in browser rather than by email.  At least people would then still be able to find the threads...

38 minutes ago, Cpt. Kipard said:

I'd just like to make everyone aware that the well over a 100 links in my Mod Dev sticky are gone with virtually no way of getting them back that I can see.

All the effort I put into that thread is basically ruined. This has to be someone's cruel joke. There's no polite way of conveying what I'm feeling right now. What the hell...

Oh crap you are right. This alone is rage worthy. 

I feel compelled to throw in my 2 cents to avoid the silent majority syndrome: I agree with much of what has been said here. I was just required to change my password in order to reply to this topic, as well. (AKA, not the biggest deal, but yet another hassle)

The following may be opinion, but the final three points are hopefully objective as well. Thank you for reading in advance.

Ok, here we go. UGH.

Overall, this doesn't seem like an upgrade at all. Not when features are lost with no appreciable replacement.  I reserve my opinion on the style, although I rather liked the old one, honestly. (Don't they make forum skins anymore? Last time I was involved in forum admin... oh god, was 2002, that's a scary thought... But, we had such options then. They've lost that in the last 13 years?)

If there was something amiss with the old forums, I would very much like to know what that is. I am an avid reader, and knew of this upgrade, but i've not seen it conveyed what exactly the issue was with the prior system except perhaps change for changes sake.

WYSIWYG is a mess. It auto hyphenated my above paragraph. NO. noononono. That just means that its a symptom of my not being able to resize this window (another problem), but implies that everyone will see the same sized post width, etc. Now, I know this can't be true. So many devices... Why is it trying to "Help"? I detest computer help. I wish them to aid me in conveying what I wish to express, without interjecting their opinion on what that might be. See, my 'nonono...' is red underlined. That's ok. But, when things like autocorrect come into the picture, then its time to consider defenestrating the computer, honestly.

I would like BBCode back. I know this is 'impossible'. My reply to that violates the rules... 

Broken links are a DISASTER. See above for potential replies...

While I didn't use the subscription feature, reading through these pages that many people did and had their lists destroyed after assurances that they would be maintained is HORRIBLE. This is complete disregard for the user; you know, the customer? 

I agree entirely with the poster some pages back, that the best solution should have been (and still is) import the user database (And judging from my password reset, that even didn't go right...) and bring the old forums back online read-only in order to transition properly and sanely to the new system.

TL;DR: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. --> Don't break it more while fixing it.

9 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Yes, if the clearing of the subscriptions "fixed" the problem because the server isn't now trying to send out bucketloads of emails, then removing the subscriptions was very silly.  Surely it would have been possible to change them to notify in browser rather than by email.  At least people would then still be able to find the threads...

From what I saw, all my subscriptions were after the automatic migration to the new forum set to "Do not send me any notifications".
So I assume that the subscriptions of the other forum users were also set to not send notifications.

Oh wow, it's getting  better and better! Now the subscriptions are lost...

And the fact that all the links are completely broken is really the worst thing. But I believe enough people already complained about that.

(BTW, is it just an issue on my end or is the editor a bit slow? It feels a bit like playing KSP while trying to launch a 500 parts rocket.)

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

Most important issue:  I'm seeing posts that are clearly out of order in a thread, where a reply quotes a post that appears later in the thread.  And no it's not just 'stack order' - it's an intermingled mess.  What does the forum use for its sorting critiera when showing a thread.  Whatever they are there seems to be a bug in the thinking.

Less important issues:

- Please fix the CSS choices for rendering extra blank space between lines.  You may think it looks nicer but you're wrong because it blurs the difference between adjacent lines and an *actual* blank line.  Also as to the claim that it's better for mobile...wouldn't screen real estate be even MORE precious on a mobile device? Why waste more of it?

- I hate the lack of a markup format because you can't  compose offline and paste it in.  For the changelogs we posted for the kOS mod, this was important.  Now it HAS to be done with manual human effort because you cannot script the marking up of bold/italic/unordered-list, etc.

- Pretty much every mod out there has links on its description pages in Curse, KerbalStuff, and CKAN that point to the mods "main thread" in the forums.  You just broke ALL those links by not supporting links to the old URLs.  Those are some important links that are going to give those mods a bad first impression when people try using them for the first time and can't follow the links.

10 minutes ago, mhoram said:

From what I saw, all my subscriptions were after the automatic migration to the new forum set to "Do not send me any notifications".
So I assume that the subscriptions of the other forum users were also set to not send notifications.

At first, the subscriptions were copied over to the new forum. However, the subscription system was in some way causing "502 Bad Gateway" errors that were effectively locking the forum out. They had to turn off that system to solve the problem.

Unfortunately the present day's fashion is to ruin PC's browsing comfort in the sake of mobile accessibility, as if there's no devices besides those phones now. Like this example of ideal modern web design: http://www.apple.com/mac/

Broken links brought a lot of fun too. I even don't know how to fix them now because the old way like http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126583 doesn't work now. (Sh*t how to get rid of that underline???)

I liked the old design too but they said that there were a lot of troubles with it. So give them a break, let's hope the things will get better over time.

Edited by Ser

Definite downgrade in usability for desktop users. Just look at old mod posts. Most of them are ridiculously huge under new forum. This format seems to be designed for short msgs and not huge posts which is what we often have on this forum.

No idea what to say about broken links. Who in their right mind would approve of a change which broke so much existing content. Surely one of the primary functions of the forum is preserve its content?

I suppose the software was changed as a concession to (primarily) mobile users?

I am quite unhappy about the whole affair.

Edited by Vrana