[1.12.x] Editor Extensions Redux released (with SelectRoot merge. StripSymmetry & NoOffsetLimits)

linuxgurugamer

15 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Oh for pete's sake.  <Takes a giant hammer and smacks it over my head repeatedly while reciting "USE. VISUAL. STUDIO. 2015. NOT. 2010!">

All my problems suddenly evaporated.  The world is right again.

I present you with: Editor Extensions Redux 3.3.2[.1] for KSP 1.1.x

(At least until linuxgurugamer gets around to releasing an official KSP 1.1.3-compatible package).

@linuxgurugamer I did some work in the enclosed readme.md which you might want to grab for your main branch (and sent you a PR).  The only code changes are the ones I listed a few posts up.

I merged the PR, thanks.

I'm going to be uploading the latest this evening after I release.  At that time, I'll create a branch for 1.1.3, why don't you pull down the latest, change to the 1.1.3 branch and make the changes.  This way, I can keep it separate.

New release:  3.3.3, download it here: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EditorExtensionsRedux

New Features

Added Autostrut and Rigidity buttons, thanks @Boop:
                All Rigid
                Disable Rigid
                Toggle Rigid
                No Autostruts
                AS Grandparent
                AS Heaviest
                AS Root
                Show Autostruts
        Added No Offset Limit Toggle

14 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release:  3.3.3, download it here: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EditorExtensionsRedux

New Features

Added Autostrut and Rigidity buttons, thanks @Boop:
                All Rigid
                Disable Rigid
                Toggle Rigid
                No Autostruts
                AS Grandparent
                AS Heaviest
                AS Root
                Show Autostruts
        Added No Offset Limit Toggle

For those not totally familiar with github:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EditorExtensionsRedux/releases

Edited by Sandworm

@linuxgurugamer

Cool!  My initial usability note: the disable-all feature is great, but it should probably eventually have an undo associated with it.  If you spend hours getting all the autostruts just right by hand, then accidentally click "no autostruts" to see what it does, your first reaction might be a little salty.  Ask me how I know!  Similar with 'Disable Rigid" if you spent time making a few strategic changes.  AFAICT these changes don't obey the keyboard Ctrl-Z undo either

I'd make the bottom-most field Show Autostruts / Hide Autostruts?  Instead of No Show Autostruts

Edited by fourfa

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

@linuxgurugamer

Cool!  My initial usability note: the disable-all feature is great, but it should probably eventually have an undo associated with it.  If you spend hours getting all the autostruts just right by hand, then accidentally click "no autostruts" to see what it does, your first reaction might be a little salty.  Ask me how I know!  Similar with 'Disable Rigid" if you spent time making a few strategic changes.  AFAICT these changes don't obey the keyboard Ctrl-Z undo either

I'd make the bottom-most field Show Autostruts / Hide Autostruts?  Instead of No Show Autostruts

It's obvious when you wrote it, but I just couldn't think of the word "hide".  Will be in next release

Undo is not easy, especially given that this is an add on.  I'll have to do some research.

On 10/15/2016 at 1:59 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm going to be uploading the latest this evening after I release.  At that time, I'll create a branch for 1.1.3, why don't you pull down the latest, change to the 1.1.3 branch and make the changes.  This way, I can keep it separate.

Hey LGG, I was away but just got back.  Let me know if you still want this.

BTW, since we were talking about usability a few posts up.  The way Master Snap works isn't bad, but rather than introducing a new hotkey and the slightly complicated sequence @Tarheel1999 documented earlier, I think it would have been more intuitive to make it work as follows:

1) Pick a part with the offset tool (which you probably have selected anyway when you want to do this).
2) Hover your mouse over the part you want to align it with, and press V.

It would move the selected part (i.e. the one the gizmo's attached to) and any siblings, rather than the one you pressed V on.

Thoughts?

Edited by Fwiffo

7 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

BTW, since we were talking about usability a few posts up.  The way Master Snap works isn't bad, but rather than introducing a new hotkey and the slightly complicated sequence @Tarheel1999 documented earlier, I think it would have been more intuitive to make it work as follows:

1) Pick a part with the offset tool (which you probably have selected anyway when you want to do this).
2) Hover your mouse over the part you want to align it with, and press V.

It would move the selected part (i.e. the one the gizmo's attached to) and any siblings, rather than the one you pressed V on.

Thoughts?

But this requires that you use the offset tool, which I wasn't using to do this.  I hear what you are saying, but, if, for example, you have several parts you want to align with part A, your way would require selecting each of the  secondary part and then hovering the mouse over part A and hitting V.  I think that your way is actually more complicated, and subject to more confusion.

2 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Hey LGG, I was away but just got back.  Let me know if you still want this.

Sure.  Go ahead and pull down the latest, and be sure to add it to the 1.1.3 branch

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sure.  Go ahead and pull down the latest, and be sure to add it to the 1.1.3 branch

Be warned, this is basically the first time I've ever attempted to use git / GitHub the way it's supposed to be used.  Here's what I did; please steer me in the right direction if I did something wrong / silly.

1. Fire up GitGui and Clone repository
  2. Branch | Checkout | Tracking Branch | "ksp-1.1.3"
  3. Branch | Create | Local Branch | "3.3.3-ksp-1.1.3" (no idea if I was supposed to do this; I wanted to locally encapsulate my changes without contaminating your tracking branch in case I had to iterate)
  4. Patch in my modifications.  I made a compile constant "KSP11x" and used pragmas preprocessor directives where possible to minimize the number of file differences required between the branches.
  5. Build ("Release" version, presumably for performance)
  6. Quick smoke test
  7. Stage changed files to commit, and briefly review detected changes.
  8. Attempt to Push back to origin; failed due to no access to your repo (naturally...).
  9. Push to my previously-forked repository (hey, it worked!)
  10. Realized I could/should have just stuck with your "ksp-1.1.3" branch name
  11. Click the "Compare and pull request" button that magically appeared on GitHub
  12. Be sad that it complained about not being able to automatically merge
  13. Start to examine the changes highlighted and get frustrated that GitHub's diff views are prehistoric compared to Beyond Compare.
  14. Realize my fork was out of date (doh, it didn't quite work afterall)
  15. Delete my fork of your repository, refork it, and push to it again.  Fix my branch name while I'm at it.
  16. Rejoice that it can auto-merge and the [ugly] red and green patches look more reasonable.  Send you the PR.

Most of my changes should be safe to merge right back into the main branch.  Out of curiosity, what's going to happen with EditorExtensionsRedux.csproj (which has references to the old DLL's) and EditorExtensionsRedux.version (which is tailored to 1.1.x)?  Will they forever live as mutated copies in the 1.1.3 branch?

I've love to know what you're doing next on your end to integrate this back into the 1.1.3 and main branches in your repo, and to generate the official 1.1.3 releases.  In case you didn't notice, I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to get more familiar some best practices using git & GitHub in a collaborative environment ;-).  Feel free to PM me if this thread isn't an appropriate place for discussion of that.

Also I just noticed git didn't pick up the DLL.  Here it is so you don't need to do a compile on your end: EditorExtensionsRedux-3.3.3.1-for-KSP-1.1.x.zip.

ps. Your AssemblyVersion in AssemblyInfo.cs still said 3.2.13.*.  I don't know about Linux, but in Windows it makes stuff like this look wrong:
c93zhFJ.png

Also should remove "for KSP v1.1.x" from the top of the README.md for the 1.2 distribution (that one's my fault).

If, for example, you have several parts you want to align with part A, your way would require selecting each of the  secondary part.

Good point; I can see how my suggestion would slow you down with an extra click and some needless back-and-forth mouse movement when you want to align several parts in sequence.

But this requires that you use the offset tool, which I wasn't using to do this.

I guess we have slightly different usage patterns.  I typically have the Offset tool already active when I'm fine-tuning positions and would want to do a vertical or horizontal align.  Right now, I have to switch back to the Select tool before I can Ctrl+Click (so your way takes an extra click or keystroke).  Is it by design that Master Snap doesn't work when the Offset tool is active?

Edited by Fwiffo

After installing this addon I can no longer use the snap angles and symmetry shortcuts. On top of that, I am only given the option of changing the snap angle to 15 or no snap angle. I have tried removing all other addons to no avail. I have also tried reinstalling Kerbal. Does anyone else having this problem, or have any ideas on how to fix it?

1 hour ago, jweste said:

After installing this addon I can no longer use the snap angles and symmetry shortcuts. On top of that, I am only given the option of changing the snap angle to 15 or no snap angle. I have tried removing all other addons to no avail. I have also tried reinstalling Kerbal. Does anyone else having this problem, or have any ideas on how to fix it?

You installed the correct version of this mod for the version of KSP you're using, right?  (There's a different package for KSP 1.2 vs 1.1.3)

On 10/10/2016 at 0:02 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

It also now includes an option to disable the reroot functionality

On 10/10/2016 at 0:02 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@swjr-swis I've been thinking about this post for a while, and finally was able to implement a fix.

Took me a bit to clone an environment to test this (I stopped using mods altogether since then), but I finally did.

I can confirm disabling EEX ReRoot allows using the stock reroot on shadow assemblies now. Thank you for this.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:05 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

There isn't any reason for a mod to force the game to save settings while in the Editor.  Hopefully no one will do this, although I kind of understand his reasons in general, I think it wasn't the best decision

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the scene when I set that up. No reason for TC to mess with game settings in the editor. Will be fixed for my 1.2 release.

I noticed translating a part with Master Snap alignment (V) also offsets the attachment point on the far end of any fuel lines, struts, etc. originating from it.  Is it possible to maintain the anchor point the way the Offset gizmo does?  (Maybe as toggleable option - I could see use cases for both, although most often I think you'd want to leave the far end where you stuck it).

Let me know if this isn't clear and I'll elaborate.

Edited by Fwiffo

On 10/18/2016 at 1:26 AM, jweste said:

I  have the same problem :(