The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, max_creative said:

Is it going to end with 7 mammoth LF engines, the dipperkrash, an ore hauler, Bob scienceing the excretments out of eve, and a big court case? If so, @Kuzzter's already done that. Although a reference saying "this is going to turn out like Venus, order zero" would be kinda fun.

I'll have to re-read EOZ to make sure this doesn't happen... lol...

11 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Until then... we must...

Stay Determined . . .

Good advice!!! 

10 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I do believe I'm mad, but I decided to grab all the times you've said "...is far, far from over."

:0.0::confused:

Not sure you had to do them all... there should be one at the end of each chapter.

And it's a Dune tribute.  More the mini-series than the book.... or maybe it was the movie???  I forget exactly.
But at the end of each major part, Princess Irulan said "The tale of Dune is far, far from over..." or something to that effect. 

So as a tribute to Dune, I used it for Emiko.

15 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

I ran out of likes.....and I haven't even read the latest chapter yet......

Real Life grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and shook me like a kitten until I was finally able to get back here!   I've read  38 and 39 so far and a lot of the comments, and ran out of likes before I could finish it all.....

Glad to see you back!

Well, I presume Thompberry-bot thing is going after Harfield, and the Jandolin. With a station I never noticed at his disposal, I can't imagine what he'll do.

Also, Gem and Theo were saved from having experiments run on them, but what's stopping Thompberry from just experimenting on them anyway?!?

Thank the kraken he isn't real life...

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 4:20 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

....sadist.....

*Drops from Heart failure*
*Heart fully stopped*

c....call 911..........................................................................................................k...kill thom.....pberry;.....

Yes, yes, do that please.

Also, Wernher is being sent to Eve maybe? 

But how will the kerbals fight back? Thompberry has full control of the Keebol System!

Chapter 41
The Mystery of the Monoliths

Alone in the pale moonlight, Gene Kerman walked along the shores north of the KASA Space Center.

rO2Cy79.jpg

rZfRik2.jpg

It had been 10 days since Thompberry Kerman's takeover of Duna Station and then all of KASA, and much to Gene amazement, no-one had died. In fact, after Gene had capitulated, Thompberry seemed to somehow lose interest in taking over Kerbin... or at least that was the impression. Gene had his suspicions, and did not trust this so-called act of faith on Thompberry's part. Surely he was plotting something.

tgL0OI6.jpg

More surprising was the fact they had been able to keep the whole affair a secret, and with Thompberry's approval no less! Gene suspected it was to keep any sort of rebellion from forming before he could return, but whatever the case, they had avoided a planet wide panic. Only a handful of Kerbals knew the truth, and those that tried to tell their friends were only laughed at. It had been years since Thompberry had vanished, and in those years, there had been literally thousands of alleged "Thompberry Sightings" all across the planet. So when it did actually happen, most everyone laughed it off. 

But those that did know the truth were devastated, most especially the twins mother, Jandolin Kerman. Thompberry had taken great joy in tormenting her that first day, until Piper slipped her a sedative and cut off Thompberry's fun. But after Gene surrendered, Thompberry seemed to pull back from torturing the twins parents.... at least for now. 

There was still Eve.....

Gene couldn't think abut it, and turned back towards the Space Center.

sJzfJwd.jpg

How could he tell them... split them up??? Jandolin was already on the verge of a major breakdown. When she heard about this, it could destroy her completely. But if they didn't comply, many Kerbals could die, and he couldn't risk that. Better they go along for now, and hope for a chance later to to rescue.... him....

Gene's visor began to steam up, and he didn't notice the weird object in front of him until he heard a crackle in his helmet speakers and realized he had been cut off. And when he looked up, he saw a small black... something... maybe 25 or so meters ahead of him.

lW8Ss3k.jpg

zfedWqq.jpg

As he got closer he wondered how this could have gone unnoticed for so long. It wasn't any taller than he was, but still, it couldn't be more than a kilometer from the space center. How could no-one have seen this before now? It was absolute black, appeared to be polished, maybe stone??? Reaching out, he tried to touch it, and to his shock, passed right thru the strange object!

LJZLb3B.jpg

bBh9jfU.jpg

XvE0bCv.jpg

kndz7Ib.jpg

Stunned, he backed away from the weird thing until he could re-establish radio contact, then immediately contacted Dr. von Kerman. "Werner, this is Gene. I'm just north of the runway in the big field. You need to get out here immediately... you have got to see this!"

lW8Ss3k.jpg

Meanwhile, high over Duna, a very strange conversation was taking place between Thompberry Kerman and the twins. 

Rmcw5Ml.jpg

Like Gene, everyone onboard Duna Station was suspicious of Thompberry's sudden change in behavior. One moment he seemed a ravenous killer, the next he was more like a distracted mad scientist. It made no sense, but Kerenna and the rest of the adults tried to take advantage of the situation, and put on a brave face for the twins sake.

8p0H7M6.jpg

Amazingly, it was the twins, especially Theo, that got Thompberry's attention, and seemed to have formed some sort of weird connection with him. It was only a couple days after Kerenna was released that the twins realized they were no longer in immediate danger.  And like most youngsters, their fear soon turned to boredom, which in turn lead to curiosity. By the third day the scientist in Theo couldn't stand it an longer, and to everyone's surprise he suddenly called out to Thompberry.

"Are you really just a brain in a... pod???"

And to everyone's surprise, Thompberry answered, "Yes, <bubble bubble> yes I am."

"And you were put in there by a real kraken???"

"Yes... <gurgle> but it's dead now..."

"That's so fascinating..." Theo thought for a second before continuing, "So the Krakens were... are... intelligent. But why did he put you in there?"

This time Thompberry paused, as if contemplating his response.

"I <gurgle gurgle> I often ask myself the same <bubble> question. Truthfully... I... <bubble> I don't know."

wRo7vhw.jpg

"But what about that saucer thing... Omega-77 was it? What happened to it?"

"That program is still <gurgle> within my core processor. But it was an annoyance, and I have silenced it."

Gem snorted, "tsssssk... Now you're the annoyance! I wish someone would silence you"

VR9HUpV.jpg

Thompberry, much to his own surprise, laughed out loud. "Ahhhh, my little Gem. Are you still upset at me?"

"Upset??? Why you... you..... sorry misbegotten son of... "

But Theo cut her off before she could go into a full rant. "She's just mad you blew up her Doodlebug."

YWabban.jpg

"Ahhhh is that it?  <gurgle>  I see...."

But then Thompberry seemed to fade off, and several seconds passed before he finally came back over the speakers.

"Children, hold that thought... There is a matter I must attend to." 

chdG1Q6.jpg

Back at the space center, the sun had risen, and Gene was back at the weird stone thing, this time accompanied by Dr. von Kerman and one his assistants in the old KASA Chariot.

pc5bMQ2.jpg

SDcdmdq.jpg

"I'm not sure what to make of it," von Kerman said as he checked his science equipment. "Everything indicates there is nothing there. And I mean nothing, no temperature readings, no background radiation. It's as if a small sphere of absolute nothingness exists around that object."

zVNYbUb.jpg

"It's a monolith," Thompberry chimed in when they reached the Chariot, "I've seen one before, near the Zaltonic Space Center. This is quite interesting, actually. Have you located others?"

sScKdAm.jpg

"No," von Kerman responded. "But now that I know what to look for... or perhaps not look for... I can use our surveyor satellites to scan for any more areas of no readings, which might indicate more monoliths. It's a long shot, but I see no reason not to give it a try."

"Agreed <gurgle> You will make this your next priority."

The next day Dr. von Kerman announced his surprising results to Gene and Thompberry. "We have located several potential areas. Three on Kerbin, not counting the two we already know of. Four on the Mun, one on Minmus, and one on Ike. However..."

"Yesss???" Thompberry demanded.

Dr. von Kerman continued, "All the locations on Kerbin and the Mun appear treacherous, and will require some planning if we are to investigate them. Minmus is in a hilly area that does not appear too bad, but is located on the opposite side as our colony base, and will take some time to reach by Chariot. But the anomaly on Ike, surprisingly, is only 35 or so kilometers from our colony base, and looks fairly easy to get to by Chariot. That is, if you haven't blown the Ike Chariot up as well, Thompberry"

"That chariot is still intact.  <bubble bubble> I will program it to return to the colony. In the mean time <gurgle> make your preparations to investigate the remaining monoliths <sizzle bubble>  I wish to know all that can be learned about them."

QmYL2vk.jpg

Onboard Duna Station, Thompberry programmed the Chariot to return from it's survey mission, and also summoned the Duna raptor back to the station. Then he turned his attention to Jeb and the crew.

"Jebediah, William, Robert, I have a <gurgle> mission for you. You will return to Ike and finish bringing the base online. It will be <gurgle bubble> useful"

7JOb6em.jpg

He then addressed the twins. "Gem, my little rebel <bubble bubble> I have a proposition for you <gurgle> To make up for the unfortunate.... accident... with the doodlebug <gurgle bubble> how would you like to drive a Chariot?"

bnMYKK5.jpg

iZuYGyZ.jpg

All the way to Ike, Jeb protested Gem driving a chariot alone, but it was Kerenna, in fact, who stood up for her and approved it. She and Val had been ordered to remain behind on the station as hostages, but were allowed to monitor the situation, and had been listening in the whole way.

"No, she's ready," was all Kerenna said. "But Thingberry... this is her first time, so you will grant me remote access from one of the command copula's in case of emergency"

"Ahhh <gurgle> This is acceptable, Kerenna... my... darling.... But understand if there is any attempt at treachery, <bubble bubble> I will take great delight in <gurgle> playing <bubble boil> with you a trifle more..."

t8PSM3f.jpg

rY1nnU8.jpg

As the Raptor came in for a landing, the crew spied the Chariot from the windows, just as Thompberry had promised, and Theo gave his sister a thumbs up for luck. He knew she was nervous, but he also suspected how much she wanted to do this. Their mission was simple, head out and investigate this "nothing" anomaly, then return with their findings. But it would be at least an hour each way, which was considerably longer than anything Gem had done up to now. And in a real chariot no less. This was a true test for her, and she was not going to fail... oh no. She would make her Aunty-K and the others proud of her.

k99oseQ.jpg

When they were safely on the ground, Jeb, Bill, and Bob headed to the base while Gem and Theo boarded the Chariot. 

j0GK1JK.jpg

JUeBz4A.jpg

S3mE2n6.jpg

Gem climbed into the drivers seat, strapped herself in, and felt a rush of kerdrenalin as the huge vehicle came to life around her. She was shivering with both nervousness and excitement, but did her best to suppress it and concentrate on the task at hand.

hRFwyaQ.jpg

Slowly the great rover moved forward, and soon Gem was relaxing and truly enjoying herself for the first time in many days.

XWWVjS0.jpg

The journey was fairly simple, with a few hills and valleys, but nothing too treacherous, and Gem handled the chariot like the best KASA drivers. Over hills and thru valleys they drove, even passing another floating boulder on the way. But they did not stop. They could always investigate it on the way back.

iiF5vpl.jpg

zPkVgtk.jpg

1ItuYd2.jpg

They grew close to their target as the sun began to set behind Duna, and Kerenna could not be more proud of Gem. She handled the chariot like a doodlebug, and had the instincts of a master pilot. And Kerenna knew someday she would do great, great things.

2KMOzT7.jpg

When they were about 500 meters from their goal, Gem called out. "Woah.... look at that...... Object ahead. Large, black... I think it's our monolith."

Wk3zHgB.jpg

ZKxJLnt.jpg

As they grew closer, their radio signal, as was expected, began to break up. "Huge... 20 meters tall at least...... wait... signal is breakin......  getting dark.... procee... sunrise..... Love....."

YONqwIu.jpg

Back at Ike colony, Jeb looked at Bob and Bill and sighed. "OK, so we wait until dawn."

But dawn arrived, and they heard nothing. One hour, then two passed, and still nothing. The crew was beginning to worry, but it was

Thompberry surprisingly enough who first ordered, "Jebediah <gurgle> take your crew and investigate"

Without hesitation the three boarded the raptor. Jeb plotted a quick hop to the chariots location in his head, throttled to full, did a vicious spin into position and headed out.

nz3RF7X.jpg

izhJxGa.jpg

STigibs.jpg

36pMOdx.jpg

In just a few minutes Jeb was landing near the chariot.  But it was dark, and there were no signs of life anywhere. And no sign of a huge 20 meter monolith... or any monolith for that matter.

rNYFB3e.jpg

oFfMVY1.jpg

rb7I2oB.jpg

Jeb quickly EVA'd to the chariot, but found only ghostly silence, and he started to feel something was terribly wrong.

53nv8PU.jpg

Bob checked the science equipment, only to find it all completely inoperative.

t45POel.jpg

dl3mMZO.jpg

Then Bill looked inside, but the cabin was empty, and the twins were no-where to be found.

f7gdBNw.jpg

l3bdWwF.jpg

Jeb was growing seriously concerned, and decided to scout around for any signs of the missing twins.

DLMWO2j.jpg

FnCjD8g.jpg

The twins last message said they spotted a monolith ahead of them, but all Jeb saw were two large rocks. Surely they couldn't have mistaken them for a monolith? But as he grew closer, Jeb spied something small near one of the rocks, and moved in to investigate.

T0EBjtn.jpg

Once landed, Jeb stared in bewilderment, then called to Bill and Bob, "Hey, fellas... I think I found something."

When Bill and Bob got to the rock, they also just stared in bewilderment.

XEPx1fP.jpg

EKRaOW4.jpg

There, in front of the rock, was a rag, hanging from a flagpole.

"What the...." was all Bob could get out, "What... what game are the children playing at"

"I'm not sure this is a game," Jeb replied slowly, "This isn't like the niblings.... not like them at all. I have a bad feeling about all this."

G5ncj4W.jpg

And for the next several hours Jeb, Bob, and Bill searched the area, while Thompberry programmed the Ike surveyor satellite to search the surrounding area for life signs. But despite their best efforts, they found no signs of the children anywhere.

Meanwhile on Duna Station, Thompberry had allowed Kerenna and Val to share a cabin while he focused his attention to the missing twins. He was surprised to find he felt genuine concern for them, in spite of his repeated threats to eliminate them. The twins were the first Kerbals he had actually conversed with in years, and he found he somewhat enjoyed it. And now he found he was more concerned something may have happened to them then he was worried they may have somehow escaped.

iryZ0sf.jpg

In their cabin, Val and Kerenna sat silent, trying to understand what may have happened.

4X4N9yt.jpg

Then to Val's complete surprise, Kerenna looked up and whispered, "...of course...."

Then she smiled and shouted, "Hey... thing in a pod... yeah... you.  Abomination.... They're gone. Do you hear me? You can't hurt them now..... They're GONE!!!"

And almost hysterically, insanely, Kerenna laughed, and laughed, and laughed......

ABBIM77.jpg

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over....

Go to Chapter 42
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim
fixing a couple goofs...

And looks like I'm in FIRST with the hot takes:

1) Cutaway view is AWESOME. I can't wait for 1.1. Anticipating 20% fewer greenscreen shots :) 
2) It occurs to me that the Kerbals could defeat Thompberry by banning the normal-sized docking port. Junior or senior ports only!
3) If the twins went through a monolith, they're somewhere...(checks own 'verse) Nope. Not in mine. Looking forward to seeing the next step of their awesome plan.

waitwait wati! I have more theo-ries! (Badum-Tish)

It seems that all Thomp pod only wanted power, not to destroy Kerbin. The twins just calmed him down, so he can finally have feelings and stuff.

Meanwhile, Kerenna still doesn't trust Thomp-Pod, and her worry for the twins seems to have driven her insane.

Also, Thomp-pod isn't (completely) evil anymore? I think I'm gonna like this.

Edited by Dobelong

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

3) If the twins went through a monolith, they're somewhere...(checks own 'verse) Nope. Not in mine. Looking forward to seeing the next step of their awesome plan.

Well, we've haven't seen the last of the UFO things have we? Maybe those things have something to do with the missing twins.

39 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Gem climbed into the drivers seat, strapped herself in, and felt a rush of kerdrenalin as the huge vehicle came to life around her. 

Kerdrenalin! lol I love it!!!

3 hours ago, Dobelong said:

Thank the kraken he isn't real life...

1. The kraken isn't real life either!!!!! :D Who do we have to thank for THAT? :huh:

Also, @Just Jim, i found a typo:

Meanwhile on Duna Station, Thompberry had allowed Kerenna and Val to share a cabin while he focused his attention to the missing twins.  He was surprised to find he felt genuine concern for them, in spite of his repeated threats to eliminate them.  The twins were the first Kerbins he had actually conversed with in years, and he found he somewhat enjoyed it.  And now he found he was more concerned something may have happened to them then he was worried they may have somehow escaped. 

Do you mean Kerbals?

Does this mean Thompberry is acting like Flowey after he reverts to his true identity of Asriel Dreemurr? THAT'S AWESOME! I feel FILLED with...

Determination.

Autocorrect tells me it's Flower, not Flowey. It's wrong.

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

Also, @Just Jim, i found a typo:

Meanwhile on Duna Station, Thompberry had allowed Kerenna and Val to share a cabin while he focused his attention to the missing twins.  He was surprised to find he felt genuine concern for them, in spite of his repeated threats to eliminate them.  The twins were the first Kerbins he had actually conversed with in years, and he found he somewhat enjoyed it.  And now he found he was more concerned something may have happened to them then he was worried they may have somehow escaped. 

Do you mean Kerbals?

Pretty sure @Just Jim has said repeatedly to PM him about typos and other mistakes. 

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

1) Cutaway view is AWESOME. I can't wait for 1.1. Anticipating 20% fewer greenscreen shots :) 

You are going to love the cutaway view, and I can't wait to see what you do with it in your story.  :D

3 hours ago, Dobelong said:

It seems that all Thomp pod only wanted power, not to destroy Kerbin. The twins just calmed him down, so he can finally have feelings and stuff.
Meanwhile, Kerenna still doesn't trust Thomp-Pod, and her worry for the twins seems to have driven her insane.
Also, Thomp-pod isn't (completely) evil anymore? I think I'm gonna like this.

3 hours ago, DolphinDude3 said:

Yeah, it's as if Thompberry is finally starting to become sane again, while Kerenna has become the new insane person.

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Does this mean Thompberry is acting like Flowey after he reverts to his true identity of Asriel Dreemurr? THAT'S AWESOME! I feel FILLED with...

I had to look up Asriel Dreemurr, I never played the game.  But I do see some parallels.

More than anything, Thompberry sat and stewed on Bop for years, dreaming of vengeance for his plans being foiled. 
But now it appears his discovery in the wormhole, whatever it was, has given him some sort of purpose. 
It's not so much that he's turned good, but that once again he has a master plan.
And this makes him appear almost happy, even if it is in an evil and twisted way.

31 minutes ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Pretty sure @Just Jim has said repeatedly to PM him about typos and other mistakes. 

Yes, thank you!  It is more polite that way.  And helps keep us amateur authors looking infallible... lol.... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

On 3/29/2016 at 11:37 PM, KerbalOmmex said:

Maybe Thompberry arranged the chairs to respond to excrementsing mass if they fidget too much...and perhaps kerbal Pressure suits have hooked velcro in the seat to match a pad of looped velcro in the chair...?

Oh, my goodness...the evil Thompberry is showing signs of wavering resolve about the twins....?  Now's their perfect chance to pull a Hansel and Gretel on him and push him in the oven!  THAT'LL teach him to pick on two helpless children! Well...whatever they put in science labs that are like ovens.  The autoclave...the sterilizing unit...they're clever that way.  I guess the airlock would  work in a pinch......it's just not as cool, you know..?  Cremation has all that 'fires of Hell' imagery going for it....

Actually, I turn into a marshmallow when the bad guys show signs of reawakening humanity (kerbality?). Monumental discovery?  Helping his sworn enemies achieve their goals?  He's getting all caught up in what it means to be a kerbal again!  Time to forgive and forget!  He's not really a bad fellow....he was just hurt, and in love, and planning to blow up the KSC was just misplaced aggression. All of us who watched "Smallville" know Clark Kent and Lex Luthor were supposed to be BFFs, and it's only the writers who insisted on sticking with 60+ years of  comics continuity instead of standing up for the higher truth.  Right?  Have your former arch-nemesis over for dinner!

Darn those wacky villains, that's the second oven this week I've ended up being pushed into.... Smoke him, kids. Extra crispy..

Silly babbling aside, I loved this chapter! Wondering just what Dr. Von K. will make of Gene's amazing discovery, and what does it have to do with floating rocks and gravioli...?  Gem gets to drive a chariot!  Just bring it back with a full tank says Thompberry, more fool he....

On 4/5/2016 at 1:55 PM, Kuzzter said:

2) It occurs to me that the Kerbals could defeat Thompberry by banning the normal-sized docking port. Junior or senior ports only!

My God......it's full of stars....

What's going to happen...?   Something wonderful......:)

On 4/5/2016 at 2:48 PM, Just Jim said:

"Huge... 20 meters tall at least...... wait... signal is breakin......  getting dark.... procee... sunrise..... Love....."

Then to Val's complete surprise, Kerenna looked up and whispered, "...of course...."

Aha!  They went on Spring Break :)

Anyway, another ripping yarn raising even more questions.  I feel a great disturbance in the rocks.  I look forward to more.  In the meantime, glad to see you're going along well with 1.1.  Is this x32 or x64?

5 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Aha!  They went on Spring Break :)

Anyway, another ripping yarn raising even more questions.  I feel a great disturbance in the rocks.  I look forward to more.  In the meantime, glad to see you're going along well with 1.1.  Is this x32 or x64?

hmmmm... when exactly is spring on Kerbin???  :cool:

This is the x32 version.  The x64 doesn't do too well on my computer.  Too old I think.

52 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yeah, no tilt, no seasons.  I was just thinking of the timing here.

OK, then philosophically...  :D

It's always spring on Kerbin.... hehehe....

2 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

What's going to happen...?   Something wonderful......:)

Ahhh... the bigger question is how long will I make y'all wait to find out??? 

:sticktongue:

Would still have seasons. They would just be the same in both the north anh south. Seasons are caused by a combination of tilt and distance. Assuming Kerbin's orbit is elliptical. (Can't remember off-hand)

On topic: Can't wait for next chapter. 

Edited by techno65535

Hey @Just Jim! Next chapter name idea: Through the Monolith (reference to Through the Looking Glass) assuming they were transported to inside the Monolith like Kerbs usually are in @Kuzzter's and @Parkaboy's universes.

Alternative: The Search for the Lost Twins (reference to Raider of the Lost Ark.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.