Devnote Tuesday: 100,000 likes

SQUAD

I like the look of the new gear, especially with the new intermediate one. It'll work nicely with Mk2 parts (the tiny gear were too small, and the next size up was far too big).

Also, what are you guys referring to with "100,000 likes?"

1 minute ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Jeesh, I haven't even had a chance to use the gears that are being replaced!

You've had, what, seven months?

1 hour ago, LaytheDragon said:

Is Dr. Turkey trying to strike a deal with Elon Musk like the deal with NASA that gave KSP 3.75 meter "NASA parts"?

The new 6-wheeled landing gear looks very useful, and it's good that the bigger one-wheeled landing gear will finally not be huge, too.

Well I was going for a Tesla Model X to test around in Squad HQ, but your idea sounds much more plausible! 

12 minutes ago, Dr_Turkey said:

Well I was going for a Tesla Model X to test around in Squad HQ, but your idea sounds much more plausible! 

What would SpaceX have to lose? Just some promo in the most popular space-related game out there right now. Go for it guys!

Edited by Glaran K'erman

16 minutes ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

I like the look of the new gear, especially with the new intermediate one. It'll work nicely with Mk2 parts (the tiny gear were too small, and the next size up was far too big).

Also, what are you guys referring to with "100,000 likes?"

You've had, what, seven months?

Jeesh, I haven't even had a chance to use the gears that are being replaced! Can't we just keep them? Just haven't had the occasion 

11 minutes ago, Yellowburn10 said:

Now now, rocket facelifts will defiantly not be the only feature in 1.2. Have patience, young grasshopper.

Yeah I know but I kinda want multiplayer more than rocket facelifts.

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:
In addition to the landing gear Chris, with help from Nathanael and the experimental test team, has started working on a concept for overhauling the rocket parts in a similar fashion as the plane parts. This is more of a long-term plan, which will most likely start showing up in version 1.2, but regardless it’s good to get the planning phase started.

You should just hire Ven, it's impossible to play without VSR now, especially since we have more shinies and additional parts like 2.5m NERVAS and light, but fragile LF tanks for the aforementioned NERVAS.

1 hour ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Jeesh, I haven't even had a chance to use the gears that are being replaced! Can't we just keep them? Just haven't had the occasion 

Um..we are keeping them. Nothing's being replaced. There is just going to be another size added. We're keepin the same models for the new ones, and they're getting moved down a size, with a 6 wheel gear replacing the large gear. The small gear is getting replaced with a model that looks like the new ones. Click on the link to the gear image and you'll see what I mean. :) 

I just copied this from Porkjet's reddit page. I does indeed sound like the landing gear is sorted for 1.1:

https://www.reddit.com/user/porkjet

Devnote Tuesday: 100,000 likes by KasperVld in KerbalSpaceProgram

[–]Porkjet 15 points 2 hours ago 

The old landing gear module was the main problem. And the new reworked one was made for unity5. The lights are fully working now, and the small and medium gear bay have steering capabilities.

2 hours ago, Endersmens said:

Um..we are keeping them. Nothing's being replaced. There is just going to be another size added. We're keepin the same models for the new ones, and they're getting moved down a size, with a 6 wheel gear replacing the large gear. The small gear is getting replaced with a model that looks like the new ones. Click on the link to the gear image and you'll see what I mean. :) 

Jeesh, I haven't even had a chance to use the gears that are being replaced! Can't we just keep them?  Textures and stats being changed up? I'd call that replaced. Just like the DEV blog says, "Replaced"

17 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Jeesh, I haven't even had a chance to use the gears that are being replaced! Can't we just keep them?  Textures and stats being changed up? I'd call that replaced. Just like the DEV blog says, "Replaced"

Oh good grief man, it has been seven months, it's a relatively small change, and frankly a necessary and logical one.   Do you really want to complain about this.

25 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

They aren't getting replaced! They're still in the game. They will be in the game. They aren't going anywhere. They're literally resizing the gear and adding a new size. Textures aren't changing. Models aren't changing.

Wow squad has done a great job of keeping that new planet and it's moons under wraps :wink:

I thought I heard the EVA animations (repairing and surface sample collection) were finally being implemented, any official word on that?

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

In addition to the landing gear Chris, with help from Nathanael and the experimental test team, has started working on a concept for overhauling the rocket parts in a similar fashion as the plane parts.

So... the time has come.

Very impressed with all work and passion going on.  Eager to get stuck in :)

Shame we're losing differentiation in parts though.  I loved the differences between the smallest and largest landing gear. Especially that  the smallest had an advantage (lights) and also that they looked more basic (don't fully enclose).

7 hours ago, Dr_Turkey said:

Some big [DONKEY] Falcon-9 style landing legs? A landing barge as a KSC upgrade? 7 crew Dragon2 alike Capsule? Grin fins?

All the things!

Tech question; Since complex colliders are (computationally) expensive, are composite colliders approximations of complex shapes using multiple basic (super cheap) collider shapes (say several joined box colliders treated as a single collider, instead of a mesh collider)?

On fairings; Could we get the option to terminate/finish them without closing them (either to a point or onto another stack component).  You can already trick/fudge this functionality using launch-revert to fix shapes, and it's super neat for making engine shrouds and certain interstage configurations so being able to do this without having to hoodwink the engine would be wonderful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.