[1.1.2] Orbital Utility Vehicle v1.2.4

nli2work

21 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Done. What about the rest of the parts? The new demolitionHelpers should be set at 0.5 or ?

I don't know, we'll take a look at it this evening.  0.5 is what stock is normally set to, anyway

22 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Query: (I will ask over at the MM thread): how to :NEED[partname]?

Not sure if I understand.  Need a part?  That wouldn't be a MM thing, that would be more of an install.

Unless you mean to modify a specific part?

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't know, we'll take a look at it this evening.  0.5 is what stock is normally set to, anyway

Not sure if I understand.  Need a part?  That wouldn't be a MM thing, that would be more of an install.

Unless you mean to modify a specific part?

Those are meant to blow up. :)

this is the 'elegant' solution to the KAS issue - if the part CPort is present, then old KAS is installed, if it isn't, then new KAS is installed.

1 minute ago, zer0Kerbal said:

this is the 'elegant' solution to the KAS issue - if the part CPort is present, then old KAS is installed, if it isn't, then new KAS is installed.

Is there anything else you can check for? 

I don't think you can actually do that, and I agree that it's a problem. 

It's significant enough to maybe ask @IgorZ to include a tiny MM patch which simply defines a "FOR", indicating whether it is the old or the new version.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is there anything else you can check for? 

I don't think you can actually do that, and I agree that it's a problem. 

It's significant enough to maybe ask @IgorZ to include a tiny MM patch which simply defines a "FOR", indicating whether it is the old or the new version.

The parts are supposed to be in the /LEGACY/ folder, but I know that since that folder disappears every time KAS is updated that many (including myself) just move it elsewhere. I do believe it is possible to use the existence of a part in a HAS or NEEDS statement - I vaguely remember reading that it could be done - so will try. @Lisias is asking to have MM include a %version% statement - would be great if @IgorZ could/would add a :FOR[OLDKAS]; just if MM can do what I ask of it - great. :)

Eventually am planning on adding (end of year maybe) all the patches to Patch Manager format - but only after everything else is settled and released, but patch manager only addresses the issue for a small fraction of users. I don't use Patch Manager myself due to it is way too easy to multiply patches being applied*.

Spoiler

On 6/23/2019 at 3:15 AM, Lisias said:

I think that this problem can be mitigated on a better way.

Module Manager would issue a "meta-name" with the current KSP version, so you can use ":NEEDS" et all to check the current KSP version in the same way we do for Add'Ons.

Something like:

• KSP_<MAJOR>
  • KSP_<MAJOR>.<MINOR>
  • KSP_<MAJOR>.<MINOR>.<PATCH>

So the author would peek the less restrictive one that works for him.

55 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Or just only support the versions of KAS for 1.6+.  (That is, the new KAS.)

thought about that, going to try first. the harpoon, the magnet (IR-Next has), the grapplinghook... otherwise what is the point of the winch on the Pod? The GrapplerJr is an EVA tether - so ... yes, there is that for the Pod as well.

* not Patch Manager's fault, I just like packing everything including the kitchen sink, the basement faucet, the garage's mop sink, and even the pet's favourite bowls.... for me Patch Manager means 100K patches... or more. :o:o:o:P never again...

Edited by zer0Kerbal
must. add. humor.

17 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

thought about that, going to try first. the harpoon, the magnet (IR-Next has), the grapplinghook... otherwise what is the point of the winch on the Pod? The GrapplerJr is an EVA tether - so ... yes, there is that for the Pod as well. 

The winch would still work with sockets, either placed by hand or by a Kerbal on EVA - and there are plans for those parts to come back at some point.

I'm just not sure you should tie yourself in knots trying to support parts which are already depreciated and removed.  (Do they even work in 1.7, if you have them?)

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The winch would still work with sockets, either placed by hand or by a Kerbal on EVA - and there are plans for those parts to come back at some point.

I'm just not sure you should tie yourself in knots trying to support parts which are already depreciated and removed.  (Do they even work in 1.7, if you have them?)

agree, knot going to tie myself up; however am still going to ask. If possible, not a big hassle. I love problem solving and learning. This is recreational for me. :o

They do seem to work (am testing later today) with both versions of the KAS.dll installed. Also IR-Next has a magnetic grappler that can either be used or the code added to say the harpoon or magnet. IR-Next also (if the Kerbalvine speaks truthfully) has similar additional parts coming Soon™er™ish™.

Still - want to hear back on what is working, been too busy updating to actually do anything more than a mechanic's test drive.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

[???] OrbitalGrapplerJR: should it have module[command]?

IMHO, no to both of these

Now I remember why - I don't believe can add navball orientation switching without having module[command] - don't think it works on kerbalseats.

Konstruction also has some magnetic grapplers, if you're interested in looking at other grapplers.  And if you're doing demo-blocks, MKS has one that recycles the ship into usable resources, which might be nice for a shipyard.

I think I have solution to the KAS :NEEDS issue. Will try when I get back later today.

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

As he said, it allows subdirectories. Most parts if the mod's folders are structured sensibly will have the part in its own properly named folder. So target that folder. Obviously that won't work for mods which force their parts to live all in one folder or groups masses of them into one folder.

Normally this (:NEEDS[KAS/Legacy]) would work, except that every update will scrub the directory and am expecting most (like me) to just move the directory somewhere, and probably rename it.

So the answer is either :NEEDS[@PART[]) or as I remembered

:NEEDS[@MODULE[KASModuleWinch,!KASLinkWinch]] (think that is correct syntax)

since KAS changed it's module names for 1.2, then that is a great indicator / method of solving my dilemma elegantly.

And with KIS2.0 coming sooner (maybe) rather than later (Breaking Ground seems to have put pressure on @IgorZ) - can expect that this method should also work then for that as well.

"ad hoc, ergo promptus hoc." — Bill

"okay, whatever that means, whack it again with a hammer, a bigger one this time!" — Jeb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, KingMonkeyNuts said:

Woohoo! I'm seriously missing the radial NV engine, I pretty much use that engine for every lander I can.

Thanks for keeping up with this mod!

@linuxgurugamer should be pushing out a full release shortly.

New release has an additional (new) version of the engine - lower tech / LFO/Mono - less weight, less thrust, less ISP. plus other fun features.

I downloaded and tested out the new version of the tug and I am grateful that someone picked this thing up for an overhaul. I noticed that the overhead lights on the orbital tug command module don't light up or have an option in the UI to be turned off and back on again. The cabin light works but puts out a very small amount of light so having a working tug with enough light to perform operations on the dark side of orbits would be helpful.  Is there any chance that light functionality is on the list of things to add? I looked on Github and didn't see any mention of lights as an issue.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

18 hours ago, Alexander of Polaris said:

I downloaded and tested out the new version of the tug and I am grateful that someone picked this thing up for an overhaul. I noticed that the overhead lights on the orbital tug command module don't light up or have an option in the UI to be turned off and back on again. The cabin light works but puts out a very small amount of light so having a working tug with enough light to perform operations on the dark side of orbits would be helpful.  Is there any chance that light functionality is on the list of things to add? I looked on Github and didn't see any mention of lights as an issue.

A fix was just uploaded to the github, do a "git pull" and you should be all set

18 hours ago, Alexander of Polaris said:

My bad and thank you.

14 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

A fix was just uploaded to the github, do a "git pull" and you should be all set

Thank you.

37 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Awesome!  Thanks again for tackling this mod.

I noticed that the liquid fuel held in the grappler was reduced from 400 to 150. Is this the solution for making it more of a "tug" and less of a fully functional vessel as mentioned earlier in the thread?

8 hours ago, Alexander of Polaris said:

Awesome!  Thanks again for tackling this mod.

I noticed that the liquid fuel held in the grappler was reduced from 400 to 150. Is this the solution for making it more of a "tug" and less of a fully functional vessel as mentioned earlier in the thread?

this sounds like a B9 configuration issue. AFAIK the core(grappler) should be 600 Mono or 390 LF+15 Mono or something like that (need the Mono for the RCS).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.