Maritime Pack & Submarine Pack 2.0 Dev Page

BT Industries

Maritime Pack  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What type of boats should this mod be focused on?

• Naval
    • Commercial
    • Civilian Crafts
    • Naval, Commercial Mix
    • Civilian Crafts, Commercial Mix
    • Naval, Civilian Crafts Mix
    • A Mix of All

Well I love this mod, CVE especially. So far I have just upscaled original parts and increased mass etc, but there are a few parts I would love to see for CVE including some type of hangar system and a lift. Otherwise launcher and catapult would be nice along with aircraft hook. I'm not sure about licensing but the old R3 hook and arrestor cables work great. (Could use updated textures).

I will attempt to be as much help as possible, I don't want another boat mod going under. (pun :D)

JT

Edit:

For close to fullscale, 7 times the Fengist parts appears to translate well into ksp.

Edited by JTpopcorn
Forgot Something

2 hours ago, Sumimoto said:

Hey!

If you need some help from a seaman, I'll be glad to help you!

I used to work on Tankers. Now, I'm developing my own project for Maritime Industry. But GameDev is my hobby.

Sounds great!

Help is always appreciated.  (I'll PM you some details)

1 hour ago, JTpopcorn said:

I will attempt to be as much help as possible, I don't want another boat mod going under. (pun :D)

Ahh, yet another helpful person.

For close to fullscale, 7 times the Fengist parts appears to translate well into ksp.

We are planning on making the parts tweakscalable, so you can make them any size you would like.

There are a few parts I would love to see for CVE including some type of hangar system and a lift. Otherwise launcher and catapult would be nice along with aircraft hook.

A hanger system would be amazing and it's definitely on the list

Otherwise launcher and catapult would be nice along with aircraft hook. I'm not sure about licensing but the old R3 hook and arrestor cables work great. (Could use updated textures).

I am not familiar with these "old R3 hook and arrestor cables".

Could you please explain.

The InfiniteDice boat parts mod had an arrestor cable and aircraft hook for carrier landings. The hook was attached to the plane, and the cable was attached to the carrier. When the hook "snagged" the cable, it would bring the plane to a stop. The catapult is a device to quickly accelerate the plane to reasonable speed, Dice added that right before he quit.

So some raw meat to throw at the table:

The boat parts (the hull in particular) from the older maritime pack are the only boats parts I've found that have been painless/easy/obvious to assemble without spending an hour to make a small PT boat out of 50 sections mounted juuuuuuust right to each other. Kudos on that, very excited to see a revival.

My main use, though I cant speak for others, is for use with RemoteTech (and probably whatever Squad builds in post 1.1 for remotetech-like functionality) as a mobile surface tracking station to position around Kerbin to give dish LOS connectivity when KSC is on the "far side" from the active craft. Just being able to assemble a basic boat that can be assembled to look like a coast guard cutter or small navy frigate/cruiser is invaluable for this purpose.

Very excited to see the revival, hopeful for a beta soon. :)

On 10/03/2016 at 11:00 PM, JTpopcorn said:

The InfiniteDice boat parts mod had an arrestor cable and aircraft hook for carrier landings. The hook was attached to the plane, and the cable was attached to the carrier. When the hook "snagged" the cable, it would bring the plane to a stop. The catapult is a device to quickly accelerate the plane to reasonable speed, Dice added that right before he quit.

Sounds good. I will look into that.

On 10/03/2016 at 11:11 PM, JTpopcorn said:

The parts still work, but the textures are a little outdated.

Link to the InfiniteDice forum page

Thanks

4 hours ago, tjsnh said:

So some raw meat to throw at the table:

The boat parts (the hull in particular) from the older maritime pack are the only boats parts I've found that have been painless/easy/obvious to assemble without spending an hour to make a small PT boat out of 50 sections mounted juuuuuuust right to each other. Kudos on that, very excited to see a revival.

My main use, though I cant speak for others, is for use with RemoteTech (and probably whatever Squad builds in post 1.1 for remotetech-like functionality) as a mobile surface tracking station to position around Kerbin to give dish LOS connectivity when KSC is on the "far side" from the active craft. Just being able to assemble a basic boat that can be assembled to look like a coast guard cutter or small navy frigate/cruiser is invaluable for this purpose.

Very excited to see the revival, hopeful for a beta soon. :)

Yes I have found this problem as well.

I will try and add some more hull adaptors which will hopefully make things easier.

I've been doing some testing, and upscaled Maritime parts are really nice to use, however, when upscaled they severely reduce framerate, from 60ish to 15-20 for no aparent reason (just something to watch for)

I assume this is because float code needs to run on each and every part touching the water.

3 minutes ago, JTpopcorn said:

I've been doing some testing, and upscaled Maritime parts are really nice to use, however, when upscaled they severely reduce framerate, from 60ish to 15-20 for no aparent reason (just something to watch for)

I assume this is because float code needs to run on each and every part touching the water.

Did you upscale them with tweakscale or in the .cfg?

Just now, JTpopcorn said:

Yup

Ok good to know. Is it still working perfectly? any problems with it?

And a announcement to make...

lots of you have probably heard of the new mod from @kimiko if not....

I'm happy to announce that Maritime Pack will be fully compatible with this new mod.

59 minutes ago, dark jam said:

When is this going to be released

At the moment we are putting a team together.

I have started working on updating the mod.

Releases will be done on a boat by boat basis starting with the pleasure craft.

Banner1.jpg

Dont expect an official release before 1.1 though.

And just chucking it out there...

Due to the large amount of people wanting to use this for military boats Ineed to ask you guys how would you like to have armor work for these parts,

I was thinking of a heatshield like part which use a new resource called Armor. This was discussed and is easy to do but, is not exactly realistic.

What do you guys think? is this a good trade of? or should a more realistic way be created?

(In other words write a armor plugin and I have no idea on how to even approach this)

Just now, craigtylerrobert said:

Do the armor resource easier would like to see ways to refill it

Yes you should be able to refuel it if you have a tank full of Armor somewhere on your boat.

Some people would say this is unrealistic but i think of it more as repairing.

In the middle of a battle it is hard to return fire and recognize which parts have been hit and start transferring straight away. I think this would add some interesting tactical decision making.

I'll start up a poll on this topic to see what the community has to say.

Don't get too distracted by this first up. Concentrate on reproducing working parts. There's a few different mods circling around damage now, don't add to the confusion when you don't yet have any parts out.

Armor as a sort of shield system you can refuel? You would enter the realm of sci-fi. Warships sit weeks to months in dry dock to get their hull damage repaired.

Controlling a fire/cooling magazines to prevent explosions ... yes.  Repairing a leak during combat? Maybe. Running bilge pumps or flood different areas to remain balanced, yes. Anything else during combat? Nah.

I'm watching David Attenborough on this fantastic research ship. This is the kind of craft Maritime pack is ideal for.

http://aluciatheship.com/

Or like the new RRS vessel, which is currently being named by public poll with Boaty McBoatface leading the vote....

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/rrs-boaty-mcboatface_uk_56edbec3e4b030d552ef678a?edition=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk&

Edited by colmo

On 19/03/2016 at 10:57 PM, Azimech said:

Armor as a sort of shield system you can refuel? You would enter the realm of sci-fi. Warships sit weeks to months in dry dock to get their hull damage repaired.

Controlling a fire/cooling magazines to prevent explosions ... yes.  Repairing a leak during combat? Maybe. Running bilge pumps or flood different areas to remain balanced, yes. Anything else during combat? Nah.

Oh no that would be way too unrealistic. 

I was thinking of a system where you literally have to make armor on the boat (out of Metal and Ablator) and this takes a long time to make and is dangerous as it produces lots of heat (forge) which is not I good thing to have while you're under fire.

On 19/03/2016 at 8:31 AM, colmo said:

I'm watching David Attenborough on this fantastic research ship. This is the kind of craft Maritime pack is ideal for.

http://aluciatheship.com/

Or like the new RRS vessel, which is currently being named by public poll with Boaty McBoatface leading the vote....

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/rrs-boaty-mcboatface_uk_56edbec3e4b030d552ef678a?edition=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk&

A SCIENCE boat!!!

Why didn't I think of this!!!

Edited by BT Industries

43 minutes ago, BT Industries said:

A SCIENCE boat!!!

Why didn't I think of this!!!

You could base it off of the yacht parts, and give it very good laboratory capabilities. Also, maybe maritime science experiments?   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.