Maritime Pack & Submarine Pack 2.0 Dev Page

BT Industries

Maritime Pack  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What type of boats should this mod be focused on?

• Naval
    • Commercial
    • Civilian Crafts
    • Naval, Commercial Mix
    • Civilian Crafts, Commercial Mix
    • Naval, Civilian Crafts Mix
    • A Mix of All

I'd be interested to see if Kerbal Krash damage could reduce buoyancy. Along with a modlet that switched BDA back to physical damage (the thermal damage is a workaround), that would satisfy the naval hawks who want to pummel ships with their massive guns until they sink (though as Maritime parts span the breadth of the hull, they wouldn't list).

6 minutes ago, renoplane said:

What do you mean, having a physical space for storing things,or somehow making it work like a hangar storing craft? If the latter, does that mean using extraplanetary launchpads or a similiar mod?

However you might go about doing this, I like where you are going. It would probably be good to put that near the low priority end of the list, though. 

Agreed, ideally get the basic ship parts out and working before attempting to add features like that. Feature creep is pretty common with mods as versatile as the Maritime Pack.

Edited by marc defranco

15 minutes ago, renoplane said:

What do you mean, having a physical space for storing things,or somehow making it work like a hangar storing craft? If the latter, does that mean using extraplanetary launchpads or a similiar mod?

I'm thinking of this mod

15 minutes ago, renoplane said:

However you might go about doing this, I like where you are going. It would probably be good to put that near the low priority end of the list, though. 

Yes at the moment I'm just brainstorming ideas until the files arrive from Fangist, then it's straight to business

18 minutes ago, colmo said:

If this is your first mod, go for the low-hanging fruit first; it'll build your confidence towards more complex modelling, texturing or coding changes down the line.

Yes this is one of my first mods I am also working on another which is yet to be released (Getting this up to scratch is top priority though)

I'm concentrating my modding skills mainly on the coding and putting it all together part and my friend is working on the modeling side of things.

10 minutes ago, colmo said:

I'd be interested to see if Kerbal Krash damage could reduce buoyancy. Along with a modlet that switched BDA back to physical damage (the thermal damage is a workaround), that would satisfy the naval hawks who want to pummel ships with their massive guns until they sink (though as Maritime parts span the breadth of the hull, they wouldn't list).

Kerbal Krash System will hopefully be implemented later on but will not be a necessity.

I don't want this mod being to reliant on other mods.

Edited by BT Industries

21 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Are you sure that the files will arrive from Fengist?

Lets hope so

If not there will be a lot of angry people.

He has nothing to lose and everything to gain from this, I am sure he would not let everyone down like that.

We will just all have to trust him.

On that note though does anyone have the Submarine Pack or Maritime Pack hidden away on there computer somewhere as I can't wait any longer (and I'm sure you guys can't either) to get started and also as a backup just in case anything does go wrong.

Edited by BT Industries

27 minutes ago, craigtylerrobert said:

I have a copy of the last update of it and the sub pack too.

Thanks, I cant wait to get started

28 minutes ago, craigtylerrobert said:

Cranes on deck maybe a oil type rig ship to go down deep and collect resources 

I like it, good ideas.

I'm sorry @craigtylerrobert, but what exactly did you mean by...

29 minutes ago, craigtylerrobert said:

hangers cargo sorting. 

Hangers for planes helicopters maybe a vehicle deck below with a ramp to drive off for millatary or ferries ect. Hulls with cargo doors you could use it for cargo or like a vertical hanger for helicopters missiles vtols. Cargo sorting some sort of gantree crane and even containers you could load vehicles into storage hulls for ore fuel ect maybe even a style like a tug boat with a crane that can lift debries from a crash winchs to tow broken down boat 

I have the zip files for usi sub and maritime from the last updates feng put out if he doesnt send them let me know how you want them sent these are some of my favorite mods excited to have new fresh eyes on it have been waiting for a update for this mode

16 hours ago, craigtylerrobert said:

Hangers for planes helicopters maybe a vehicle deck below with a ramp to drive off for millatary or ferries ect. Hulls with cargo doors you could use it for cargo or like a vertical hanger for helicopters missiles vtols. Cargo sorting some sort of gantree crane and even containers you could load vehicles into storage hulls for ore fuel ect maybe even a style like a tug boat with a crane that can lift debries from a crash winchs to tow broken down boat

I like these ideas, but I think I'll steer away from the cranes.

What do you guys think of a simple shipping container for putting rovers and other smaller crafts in?  

Or what about a Mining Boat for getting ore from the bottom of the ocean?

Thanks for all these ideas people, keep it up!

14 hours ago, BT Industries said:

I like these ideas, but I think I'll steer away from the cranes.

What do you guys think of a simple shipping container for putting rovers and other smaller crafts in?  

Or what about a Mining Boat for getting ore from the bottom of the ocean?

Thanks for all these ideas people, keep it up!

Infernal Robotics and KAS has you covered for cranes.
There was a rather nice shipping container model around years ago. Sadly has disappeared, but it's an easy first model. Add some KIS storage and you're golden. If you want, use FSswitch to vary the contents and appearance (nice to have stacks of different ones, with corporate decals emblazoned on them of course) - a refrigerated unit for transporting snacks, and tangible objects like Rocketparts. For raw materials, tanks or silo bins are the way to go.
I think Maritime pack as it was, IR, maybe USI mods and some onboard storage had the materials for a mining boat without being too specific.

I've just envisioned a simpler Hangar mod variant which combines EPL with KIS (sized up!) - launch and recycle is instantaneous, but stashes the whole craft as an object (perhaps make use of the SPH/VAB thumbnail, though that won't reflect parts that have been attached, removed or destroyed) instead of destroying/rebuilding it.

Edited by colmo

6 hours ago, colmo said:

Infernal Robotics and KAS has you covered for cranes.

My thoughts exactly

6 hours ago, colmo said:

I think Maritime pack as it was, IR, maybe USI mods and some onboard storage had the materials for a mining boat without being too specific.

Yes but I was thinking somthing like this...

Britannica_Dredge_and_Dredging_2.jpg

You mine up sand and sieve through it to find some ore and dump the leftovers. 

These are just ideas, if you guys don't like them just say so and if lots of people don't like it I wont make it.

8 hours ago, Hellbrand said:

how about a hull that has a hollow  section in it  so that we can lower drills, or lower submarines/submersibles into the water

So like an upside down cargo bay? I like it!

8 hours ago, Hellbrand said:

Also I hope you're keeping the rollon, rolloff  capability :o

I will be keeping everything from the original mod, except the  bitts and blisters.

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I think as far as getting the files, wont you need the actual source code for the plugins?... That means just the regular copies of the released mod wont be enough?

Did it even have its own plugin?

What do you guys think of buoyancy? How should this mod handly it?

I'm thinking something like RoverDudes Sub Mod,

Lead and Water.

All the hull parts will be very light and you will have to put lead in them to lower the waterline and once you're in the water you can pump water around to make adjustments. 

This means that you could easily make subs and you wouldn't have to worry about putting none sub parts on because it no longer requires the firespitter buoyancy code.

I don't want this mod to be dependent on too many mods. 

But I'm sure some of you people who use life support mods might want to sieve through water to harvest algae and then convert it into food and enjoy fishing for food or people who use FAR  and the Wind mod might want to go sailing and people who use BDA would like to have torpedoes, floating sea mines and depth charges.

So what I think I will do is release the mod as it was originally plus some extra parts and then have extra addon packs for people to use with other mods.

What do you guys think?

9 minutes ago, BT Industries said:

What do you guys think of buoyancy? How should this mod handly it?

I'm thinking something like RoverDudes Sub Mod,

Lead and Water.

All the hull parts will be very light and you will have to put lead in them to lower the waterline and once you're in the water you can pump water around to make adjustments. 

This means that you could easily make subs and you wouldn't have to worry about putting none sub parts on because it no longer requires the firespitter buoyancy code.

Why don't you use the same ballast resources USI uses? That way the parts could be somewhat interchangeable and it would simplify things for people with both mods.

1 minute ago, BT Industries said:

I don't want this mod to be dependent on too many mods. 

But I'm sure some of you people who use life support mods might want to sieve through water to harvest algae and then convert it into food and enjoy fishing for food or people who use FAR  and the Wind mod might want to go sailing and people who use BDA would like to have torpedoes, floating sea mines and depth charges.

So what I think I will do is release the mod as it was originally plus some extra parts and then have extra addon packs for people to use with other mods.

What do you guys think?

Well, I don't think you should get involved with the BDArmory part. NAS and other addons cover the role perfectly. However, those other mini-packs sound pretty cool!

5 minutes ago, renoplane said:

Why don't you use the same ballast resources USI uses? That way the parts could be somewhat interchangeable and it would simplify things for people with both mods.

Agreed, that is probably the best option.

All that means is that this mod will be dependent on Community Resource Pack which mos people are going to have in there GameData folder anyway.

58 minutes ago, renoplane said:

Well, I don't think you should get involved with the BDArmory part. NAS and other addons cover the role perfectly. However, those other mini-packs sound pretty cool!

NAS doesn't have any torpedoes, floating sea mines or depth charges.

Sea mines or depth charge would probably be pretty simple to make, not so sure about how to make  torpedoes not explode instantly because it is already touching water.

I think being able to launch larger missiles from subs would be cool something like this...

USS_Santa_Fe_(SSN-763)_VLS_doors_open.jp

12 minutes ago, Hellbrand said:

well not just an upside down cargo bay but a through and through section :o

Oh I get it, that would be epic!

1 hour ago, BT Industries said:

NAS doesn't have any torpedoes, floating sea mines or depth charges.

Doesn't have any torpedoes?

That's interesting as I recall there has been a torpedo since last time we updated it

8 minutes ago, Acea said:

Doesn't have any torpedoes?

That's interesting as I recall there has been a torpedo since last time we updated it

I can't believe I missed that!!!

Thanks for telling me that, you have made someone very very happy today.

Time to mount an attack on my undersea research station :D

On 2-3-2016 at 4:45 AM, BT Industries said:

On that note though does anyone have the Submarine Pack or Maritime Pack hidden away on there computer somewhere as I can't wait any longer (and I'm sure you guys can't either) to get started and also as a backup just in case anything does go wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xup9ps18u53xvjk/The_Maritime_Pack-0.1.4a.zip?dl=0

I believe this is the latest version.

Hiya in the absence of any files from the original author, why not just export the models etc through blender, use a converter for the textures if they are MBM,  and you can get on rebuilding, this is how I worked the revamp on Old School turrets and NED. (edit.. the nice thing about doing it this way is that you can incorporate all the new changes, without having to work  around the original setups)

It was only much later that the original assets turned up , and with OST in particular I'd already released the fix by that time,

So push on buddy, if you want a hand exporting and sorting let me know.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

On 3/2/2016 at 7:05 PM, BT Industries said:

what do you guys think of making the hulls tweakscalable

This would be a great idea. You should be able to do this with some Module Manager patches so those that use Tweakscale have it and those that don't won't have to worry about it.

On 04/03/2016 at 4:24 AM, wasml said:

This would be a great idea. You should be able to do this with some Module Manager patches so those that use Tweakscale have it and those that don't won't have to worry about it.

Not all parts will be tweakscalable, but some of the more universal part will be.

On 04/03/2016 at 11:36 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hiya in the absence of any files from the original author, why not just export the models etc through blender, use a converter for the textures if they are MBM,  and you can get on rebuilding, this is how I worked the revamp on Old School turrets and NED. (edit.. the nice thing about doing it this way is that you can incorporate all the new changes, without having to work  around the original setups)

It was only much later that the original assets turned up , and with OST in particular I'd already released the fix by that time,

So push on buddy, if you want a hand exporting and sorting let me know.

Sounds good, will do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.