Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Congrats SpaceX on landing Falcon's suborbital booster stage. Welcome to the club!

-Jeff Bezos via Twitter

Passive aggressiveness is strong with this one.

I love it how the second stage cutoff happened during the landing burn, I only noticed it the third time I re-watched the landing.

The last time i saw so many people excited in front of a screen was 2014 after the goal against Argentina in the world-championship. I had stop myself from screaming loud, everyone else in the house is sleeping...

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

"The goal is Mars, because no one wants to go back to Jakku." *facepalm* Did anyone else catch that?

Oh good, I'm not the only one that had no idea what that meant. Explain? Nerd reference I'm missing here? 

Also, Jeff Bezos wishes he could be part of the SpaceX club. Hats off to both companies, but SpaceX's feat vastly dwarfs BO's. Is my Fanboyism showing? Think my fanboyism is showing. Ehh, whatever.  

My wife and I were cheering out loud in our tiny family room when they landed. I think we startled the dogs.

On serious note, does anyone know the status of the second stage re-light and de-orbit burn? I believe that one of the secondary (or is it tertiary) goals was to test the re-light capability of the upgraded second stage for the upcoming SES launch (as well as all other Geo-transfer launches).

1 hour ago, Wingman703 said:

Hats off to both companies, but SpaceX's feat vastly dwarfs BO's. Is my Fanboyism showing? Think my fanboyism is showing. Ehh, whatever.  

Bezos went straight up, straight down. Yes, it's rocket science, so even that is incredibly challenging, and hats off to BO. But what SpaceX just did tonight is just a whole new level of complexity.

Few pictures are trickling out. I can't wait for someone to grab some daylight photos of it tomorrow, assuming they are leaving it on the pad that long and not wisking it off right away. 

On right, the assent, on left, the decent( I think. Right? Doesn't make sense to my brain if it was the other way). 

Negf6lM.jpg

Edited by Wingman703

1 hour ago, Frozen_Heart said:

They're both petty here.

Except one of them has the right to be so, the other one is promising but has yet to achieve a tenth of what the other has done in the past few years.

/ending muskfanboyism :)

Edited by Frida Space

26 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Probably due to the colder LOX that they are using for this flight (which also caused some issues last Thursday during pre-launch / prior to the static fire).

Surely the colder LOX ought to cause less boil-off compared to the warmer LOX, because it has to absorb more heat to warm up to boiling point before it can start to boil?

It may be the ambient air was more humid than previously, which would make the boil-off more visible. The boiling O2 is invisible without condensation from ambient air - in a desert you'd see next to nothing, maybe some refraction effects similar to heat haze caused by the much colder, denser O2.

5 minutes ago, Wingman703 said:

Few pictures are trickling out. I can't wait for someone to grab some daylight photos of it tomorrow, assuming they are leaving it on the pad that long and not wisking it off right away. 

On right, the assent, on left, the decent( I think. Right? Doesn't make sense to my brain if it was the other way). 

From that angle that looks correct.

1 hour ago, Wingman703 said:

I think the ascent is on the left and the descent on the right, because on the right you can see the final two reentry burns of the first stage. I think.

Edited by Frida Space