[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

I may have a contender here.....

AVRO Super-Bee

screenshot13_4.png

This is the Super-Bee going against the current KOTH:

screenshot10_4.png

And...the aftermath...

screenshot12_4.png

Still a work in progress. I had to abandon the .625m design (couldn't get the landing gear to co-operate with a 1.2 tonne craft) but this one comes in at a lean 2.1 tonnes fully loaded.

7 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

For WWI-WWII style craft? Correct, it's propellers only. The coming ASC-IV will be back to jets, though.

Could you not just reverse thrust a wheesley and set it to 25% throttle?

34 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

you really don't like propellers, don't you

I was going to follow up that question with "Could I still submit a craft for the one going on this month?"

Props are awesome, I was just too lazy at the time to install mods, because I was working on a 3000 part rocket.

Edited by He_162

48 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I was going to follow up that question with "Could I still submit a craft for the one going on this month?"

Props are awesome, I was just too lazy at the time to install mods, because I was working on a 3000 part rocket.

Perhaps you should read the OP ... most of your answers will be found there

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

Perhaps you should read the OP ... most of your answers will be found there

Putting a bajillion words in the OP that could otherwise be explained in 2-3 sentences (aside the rules) makes for people not reading all the way through usually, I read it through when no one answered the question right away, but still.

6 hours ago, epicman81 said:

When is the next match 

I can do matches Thursday night. Until then, any host is welcome to take up the next one.

On 6/10/2016 at 10:01 AM, The Optimist said:

including the 50 cal turret?

no turrets. hmmm. forgot to add to op. doing now.

On 6/12/2016 at 3:42 PM, He_162 said:

Are NO stock engines allowed? seriously? Not a panther, Juno, or wheesley?

not this series, no. we're sponsored by KAX, so to KAX we advertise for.  j/k on the sponsorship, but really KAX props only.

On 6/12/2016 at 3:59 PM, He_162 said:

Could you not just reverse thrust a wheesley and set it to 25% throttle?

now that's inventive if we're looking for speed reductions. but this is props only though. props to those who figured that out. :P

On 6/12/2016 at 4:01 PM, He_162 said:

Alrighty, when is the next ASC IV?

could be July. At this rate... probably August.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:00 PM, He_162 said:

Putting a bajillion words in the OP that could otherwise be explained in 2-3 sentences (aside the rules) makes for people not reading all the way through usually, I read it through when no one answered the question right away, but still.

if you have a better OP, you know me.

post your draft and ill look at it. :)

Added the final version of the  AVRO Super-Bee to the hanger.

screenshot17_2.png

Stock fuselage parts, KAX A7 Sport engine, Aviator Arsenal 13mm guns and ammo, AA's antenna-stick-AI and weapons manager thingy. :D

Just a hair over 2 tonnes with a full tank of gas, the pilot, and all the ammo.

https://kerbalx.com/GDJ/AVRO-Super-Bee

Edited by GDJ

12 hours ago, GDJ said:

Added the final version of the  AVRO Super-Bee to the hanger.

Stock fuselage parts, KAX A7 Sport engine, Aviator Arsenal 13mm guns and ammo, AA's antenna-stick-AI and weapons manager thingy. :D

Just a hair over 2 tonnes with a full tank of gas, the pilot, and all the ammo.

That's a pretty sweet looking plane.

And now I have a base for how to re-make War Thunder planes in KSP and have them NOT do a flip every time I try to take off.

Hmm, I wonder how this will turn out. Monoplanes historically had better capabilities than bi- or tri-planes, but I don't know how well the KSP aero simulates that. Would the extra wings give you an advantage? They add drag, but the prevailing theory of the time was that it gave better maneuverability. (It didn't. If you come close to stalling the bottom wing, the upper ones lose lift.). How well does KSP do there?

Just now, Dman979 said:

Hmm, I wonder how this will turn out. Monoplanes historically had better capabilities than bi- or tri-planes, but I don't know how well the KSP aero simulates that. Would the extra wings give you an advantage? They add drag, but the prevailing theory of the time was that it gave better maneuverability. (It didn't. If you come close to stalling the bottom wing, the upper ones lose lift.). How well does KSP do there?

Monoplanes may have less drag, but as VulcaRaptor showed us, bi-planes had stupid high g-loading and redundant wings.

3 minutes ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Monoplanes may have less drag, but as VulcaRaptor showed us, bi-planes had stupid high g-loading and redundant wings.

True, but the VulcaRaptor also had a lot of SAS in there, too, so it could out-tourqe the missing lift. If you look at some of the new matches, when a plane loses a wing, it's pretty much over. Unless, of course, it has an obscene amount of other wings. Losing 50% of your lifting capacity on one side is awful, but losing 10% is pretty manageable. Of course, that wound mean going really slowly, because losing one wing at 10% means 10x2=20 identical wings. That's pretty slow, if you ask me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.