[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Quick question: My kerbals are not eating food. I have food onboard but the number never goes down. I get warnings about them not having food. The oxygen/EC part works great (even the scrubbers work correctly).

I don't have a Kerbalism button as mentioned in the previous post (I got the most current version today). What am I doing wrong?

57 minutes ago, Fixitman said:

Quick question: My kerbals are not eating food. I have food onboard but the number never goes down. I get warnings about them not having food. The oxygen/EC part works great (even the scrubbers work correctly).

I don't have a Kerbalism button as mentioned in the previous post (I got the most current version today). What am I doing wrong?

You probably miss the last Module Manager. Install it and everything will work.

What if I have an unshielded crew compartment inside a cargo bay or structural fuselage that *is* shielded? Help?

It would be nice if radiation worked a bit like a drag vector. It would have to have a source, but you could hide behind or inside something (kinda assuming FAR drag vectors for the comparison to make sense).

1 minute ago, Tricky14 said:

What if I have an unshielded crew compartment inside a cargo bay or structural fuselage that *is* shielded? Help?

It would be nice if radiation worked a bit like a drag vector. It would have to have a source, but you could hide behind or inside something (kinda assuming FAR drag vectors for the comparison to make sense).

Shielding can only be put on crew compartments so your cargo bay or structural fuselage couldn't be shielding (with the current implementation) @ShotgunNinja can confirm but I think adding this would be a lot of work for relatively little gain.

Also the majority of cosmic radiation comes from all directions, so making it come from a precise source doesn't actually make much sense.

I wrote a small profiler and started to optimize the mod. I'm analyzing performances using a savegame with 30 vessels. The good thing is the whole environmental simulation is consuming only 10 us per vessel (quite fast). The bad thing is the background operations on the resources are much slower than they should be, so I'm focusing my efforts on optimizing that. Also the signal system is taking 2 whole ms with that many vessels, but that would be hard to optimize further as it is at the theoretical minimum complexity-wise. Already rewrote the string operations to minimize garbage collection spikes (but I was never able to replicate those spikes myself). In general, 1.0.0.0 will be faster and stronger. If anybody got a savegame with something like 100 vessels or more please send it to me for more testing.

@ShotgunNinja this is a great mod! Thank you for all of your work on it.

I had an idea for your Telemetry Reports science experiment. As it stands right now, they are single run experiments per state which I think is fine, but I had a nice tweak to them that I thought I would share and offer as a suggestion.

Every time one of the space agencies launches a rocket, they find out new information about Telemetry. A big part of all of the Sounding Rockets fired in the 40's and 50's was to bring back new information from each launch. As it stands right now, that doesn't really work. Here is my suggestion and one that I have made in my own Kerbalism config save (I hope you don't mind):

/ ============================================================================
// Telemetry experiment
// ============================================================================

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
  id = probeTelemetry
  title = Telemetry
  baseValue = 100
  scienceCap = 5
  dataScale = 1

requireAtmosphere = False
  situationMask = 63
  biomeMask = 0

RESULTS
  {
    default = All values nominal.
  }
}

The idea is to get science every time you launch some of the boring missions that take you to the same place over and over again.

If you do not decide to implement it, no big deal, keep up the good work and I love the mod!

Anyone has a idea how to make Kerbalism support the Interstellar Extended reactors? I highly rely on those reactors in my save and already lost many kerbals this way. I took a look at the Near Future patch, but it's clearly something very different.

@Nansuchao If they use a custom module, I need to implement ad-hoc support. I think that mod has a lot of custom modules, eventually I'll add support for all of them but it will take time and right now I'm struggling with optimizing everything.

@DurrAliens Try reinstalling it from CKAN, be sure to install the Kerbalism-Profile-Default package too. If then it still doesn't work send me the savefile so I'll have a look.

I use the realism profile and scrubbers don't work at all even if I have Filtration Material. Always 'No CO2' message. Planner in Hangar says I have an oxygen for ~ 2 weeks, Vessel Monitor says I have for 4 days only (and it runs out in 4 days)

UPD. I checked the save file and found

Spoiler

RESOURCE
                {
                    name = CarbonDioxide
                    amount = 2664.18066605959
                    maxAmount = 9720
                    flowState = True
                    isTweakable = False
                    hideFlow = False
                    isVisible = False
                    flowMode = Both
                }

Edited by Lazzy

@Lazzy The filter material is for the water recycler, scrubbers don't require that. From the oxygen life expectancy times you posted look like the planner simulated the scrubber correctly, but then in flight the scrubber isn't finding the carbon dioxide, but it should as what you posted of the savefile is correct.... send me the save so I can have a look.

NOTE: the realism profile is very experimental

Edited by ShotgunNinja

6 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I've added a little survey with a single question about what profile users are playing with, added to the first post.

I use the default because the realism is really buggy at the moment. If the realism profile gets updated I will definitely play that. I know I should have answered in the survey, but it doesn't allow me to give reasons. I would also like it if the realism profile had separate storages for water and filtration material. Also, I've really wanted this since I first got Kerbalism, can we please get some Inline oxygen and radical food? And the same for any potential water/filtration containers?

Do malfunctions happen in sandbox mode too? Because it seems like the Juno engine can't behave properly after a supersonic dive. At least I think that's how I managed to break it.

When right-clicked the engine shows the thrust output properly (18kN iirc), but the seems to lack power even at full thrust.