Lost Sale Here!

ghost_sox

The "I've got my money's worth because I've played it so much" argument doesn't really make sense. One could have spent that time earning money instead of playing a video game. Really, you spent 40 bucks on a game, then wasted all that time that you could have invested in learning a skill that contributes something to the world on said game, trying to justify it's worth.

Not to mention the fact that the game is broken in a number of ways. If I spent 40 bucks on gasoline for my car, then found out it had water in it, I would find my way back to the gas station to get my money back, plus be making demands for more money to repair my car. Just sayin.

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

The "I've got my money's worth because I've played it so much" argument doesn't really make sense. One could have spent that time earning money instead of playing a video game. Really, you spent 40 bucks on a game, then wasted all that time that you could have invested in learning a skill that contributes something to the world on said game, trying to justify it's worth.

Not to mention the fact that the game is broken in a number of ways. If I spent 40 bucks on gasoline for my car, then found out it had water in it, I would find my way back to the gas station to get my money back, plus be making demands for more money to repair my car. Just sayin.

It does make sense when you consider entertainment value as a formula of cost / hour enjoyed.  You can't look at something you are doing on your "free" time (in other words, NOT WORK, so no intention of earning money) and compare that to time you spend earning money/working.  Entertainment is different than work.

Taking my "formula" into account, KSP is far more value to cost than something like a movie.  For example, my STEAM playtime is currently around 770 hours.  I bought KSP for 20 bucks when it came to STEAM.  Therefore, 20/770 = $0.026 / hour or ~3 cents US per hour.  Now, lets take a movie in the US...A typical movie lasts around 2 hours and in the US costs around 14 bucks for admission.  Therefore, 14/2 = $7.00 / hour.  KSP is WAY more value when looking at cost vs hours enjoyed than a movie.  If you do the math, it's likely more value than almost any leisure activity that you can pick that isn't free.

19 minutes ago, Otis said:

PC gaming is a freetime activity which costs money. And hobbies costing money are actually not that uncommon. Everybody has the right to spend their time as they like to. And as long as they have fun doing something, that is totally ok, as well as it's ok to compare the "money/hours of fun"-ratio of different activities.

30 minutes ago, ghost_sox said:

As I posted..  The game is not worth $40.00 AS IT SITS NOW...  the bugs,  the crashes,  the issues,   and from what I read about update 1.1,  most mods don't work anymore..   It's not about the money,  it's about value and something unfinished,  still being developed,  still has problems,  and still broken in some ways (look at the 64 bit version crashing randomly to desktop often)....  that IS NOT worth $40.00.   I would pay the $40.00 if the game was FINISHED and free of bugs and crashes.  Again... it's not the $17 difference,  it's the principle.... paying full price for an unfinished product. (see below).

Next up..    I was not being rude to anyone and I was not intending to start anything..  I was simply stating my opinion about the value of this game..  I was directing my comments at the developer... not you.    I was not insulting anyone,   I was telling Squad that they charge too much for their unfinished,  buggy game..   I do enjoy it when it works but I'm not paying full price for something that isn't finished.   Would you pay $15,000 for a car that randomly stalls and you have to pull over and restart it?   Oh and it was still being built,  uh,  we didn't add the radio or the spare tire yet but we will...   in time,   but we want full price up front...    NO..  that's B.S.  I'm sorry.

And I say: it is! First, mods not working is:

a) incorrect, as the majority of them was ported well during the prerelease. CKAN alone lists nearly 500 working mods out of 1700, but those 1700 are including those that stopped at anything between 0.25 and 1.0.5

b) not a problem of squad or the game itself. Actually, squad is one of the mod-friendliest developer.

Then, crashes and issues. Well it depends of how common and severe these are. For me, they are acceptable if the majority of them gets fixed within the next month. Nothing gamebreaking. Nothing that is stopping me to enjoy ksp. Then, software is never free of bugs. I mean, they lost space missions due to bugs in a code that is (should) be more severely checked.

Also, like stated in another thread: when is KSP "finished"? Where is the end? KSP is (for me) much more of a service.

Does this mean squad are the best devs ever? No. But is KSP worth 40 bucks if you are interested in space and physics and you are in search of a sandbox to let the lego spaceships of your childhood actually fly? Oh yea. IMHO.

And the last words in the previous sentence are key here in the discussion. Value of a Game is very individual. And there are tons of people that I would not recommend KSP to. But you stated your , well, statement is a very general fashion as "KSP is not worth it because bugs". And that's not true.

28 minutes ago, Otis said:

And if you earned all that money, what are you going to do with it? If not earning more money, than you WILL "waste it". One way or the other. Having a fancy dinner with my gf in y well tailored suit and she in a dress to die for... well that's also wasted time in which we both could have studied. Or worked. To earn money so that then we could sail the world in a yacht.. oh that would then be also wasted time.

I'd like to think I got my $39.99 worth.  I would have gladly paid a big-box, 59.99 for it.  But that being said, sure, I would pay that now, but I'm not sure I would have when I first got into the game, because I didn't know what I was getting in to.

Re:  Mods not working and game crashing, I've seen like 500 mods just on CKAN (not counting those on SpaceDock that aren't in CKAN).  I'm running an install with over 75 mods installed, and I haven't seen one single crash to desktop (except when I've accidentally launched the 32-bot version.).  Not even any hard freezes.

For me, the game is in a pretty polished state, with the exception of landing gear/wheels.  I'd recommend this came to anyone and everyone, and it's value is far greater than 39.99.  Minecraft is $30 (rougly), and it's a far more expansive and realistic game than that.

I bought the game 3+ years ago (March 21, 2013 to be exact), right after it was made available on that platform: $22.99 was the price. Steam show's I've only played ~100 hours but I generally launch the game through desktop shortcut rather than Steam's app. I estimate I've actually played somewhere between 1,200 and 1,700 hours. Even if I guesstimate it an even 1,500 hours, that's 1.5¢/hour. Had I paid $40, that's still only 2.7¢/hour. 

I don't see the problem. :cool:

Keep in mind, many, MANY games are released with debilitating bugs these days, and the support to fix them all before big name game reviewers verbally slice your genitals off is furious, usually. Additionally, the very nature of KSP lends itself to situations most games do not ever find themselves in, such as a ball of landing gear. Shooters usually are designed not to allow you to do anything outside a very narrow set of actions. That makes the actual coding somewhat simple. Building games are inherently difficult to create a rock solid platform that people because you are challenging the player that you've thought of all the situations and things that can be done. Given enough people, parts, and imagination, you will be startled what absurd thing someone will make. Very few current building games are 'bug-free', usually because you are pretty restricted. Robocraft is almost completely bug free, but what you can do is very limited. Space Engineers is a buggy mess because you can do so much, well, that and netcode..

1 hour ago, ghost_sox said:

I can see that voicing an opinion isn't very welcome in this community so I will be keeping my posts rare and keeping my opinions even more rare.

Sorry that was the first impression you got from the community. We're working on it :)

Having said that, I think it's only to be expected that most of the people here are die-hard fans of the game and are likely to disagree with your opinion that it isn't worth full price. Try saying that in an Apple products forum and see what response you get :wink:

Anyway, I for one am glad to welcome an open and honest person to the forum. It will be interesting to see whether or not your opinion changes about the value of KSP over time. Have fun!

Edited by Deddly

1 hour ago, ghost_sox said:

I can see that voicing an opinion isn't very welcome in this community so I will be keeping my posts rare and keeping my opinions even more rare.

And people told you that they have a different opinion. What's the big deal?

@ghost_sox.  Welcome to the forums

As I said on another thread not long ago -  all opinions are valid, it's when we forget to respect that that problems occur.

Yes KSP is a bit more buggy than usual at the moment due to a major new update, but as a newcomer you quite understandably don't see that side. 

You won't regret your purchase, as many have said before, in terms of value for money KSP is unbeatable. 

Edit...  You will also discover that this KSP forum/community is a very friendly and helpful place.  We have our moments of weakness naturally,  but never feel you can't offer your opinions or suggestions, or ask for help on here.

Edited by pandaman

4 hours ago, Pecan said:

While I feel a bit guilty that this only cost me about $15 

Why would you feel guilty?  That was the price that Squad was offering KSP for at the time.  I paid $17 USD and have no guilt whatsoever.

Well, I bought the game for 40 Eur directly from Squad and didn't regret it. That is to say, taking into account thing such as my income, and the time I spent with that game. However, if your income is low 40 Eur might be a big thing (which basically is the reason you pay a certain percentage of your income in terms of taxes).

So I can understand if somebody gets frustrated to see the price "increased" by a factor of 1.7 hence levelling the game out of your paygrade. In that case it might be the best option to wait for some of those special offers which have been pointed to already.

4 hours ago, ghost_sox said:

...  the bugs,  the crashes,  the issues,   and from what I read about update 1.1,  most mods don't work anymore..   It's not about the money,  it's about value and something unfinished,  still being developed,  still has problems,  and still broken in some ways (look at the 64 bit version crashing randomly to desktop often)....  that IS NOT worth $40.00.   I would pay the $40.00 if the game was FINISHED and free of bugs and crashes.  Again... it's not the $17 difference,  it's the principle.... paying full price for an unfinished product. (see below).

blah blah, "from what i read"..

How about you play the game? The people complaining in many cases understand subtle nuances that affect their ability to play. It doesn't mean it's game breaking. I've put at least 20 hours into 1.1 now, experienced virtually no issues. With each new version mods need to be updated, so that's not even an argument. 

FWIW, a Full price for a video game is at least 59.99, so i don't think this game is "full priced." Not only that but people around here are regularly getting 100+ hours into this game, so with that in mind i fail to see many other forms of entertainment with that kind of value. Not only that but it's basically like a hey i'd rather nickle and dime the dev 17$ because its not even about the money.

.. I can see that voicing an opinion isn't very welcome in this community so I will be keeping my posts rare and keeping my opinions even more rare.      We can all stop with the nonsense now

Personally i don't want to hear your opinions. If you think the game isn't good value but have never played it your "opinions" are basically just re-worded versions of other peoples opinions, and are meaningless in any context.

AFAIK, this business of releasing unfinished products and selling them legitimately is largely a video game phenomenon. Certainly not exclusive to this one. Choose a different hobby maybe?

No, you couldn't sell cars that way,
you couldn't repair computers that way.
You couldn't serve food that way.
You couldn't sell music that way. Hey check my early access music album, it's just the drum samples now but hey it'll improve over a few years.

I personally find it abhorrent and distasteful, but it is a sign of the times, and the nature of technology where we can update things post release. Some people see it is "carrying on after completion", but it is absolutely an excuse to sell an unfinished product. In the case of KSP, it may never be finished to the extent many of us would like it, but IMO SQUAD is head and shoulders above most other developers riding the "selling unfinished product" game.

Finally, since you know the game is incomplete, and will likely remain incomplete, it is in your best interest (and the best interest of others on the fence) to buy it before the unfinished product takes another price hike (which i imagine it just might after console release).

Edited by Violent Jeb

I do have to agree with the OP 1.1 is not worth $40.  Foruntily you also get 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.2.1 and so on until the game is hopefully bug free.  Does anyone one know how far Squad plans on taking KSP?

Tough. I bought this game twice, once through Amazon, then again through Steam once I discovered that Amazon was selling a version that could not update.

It was still worth the price. Sure, it crashes, but it recovers from crashes very well (usually). Also, with every improvement, it runs better. I have played more than 500 hours on this game since I bought it at the end of November last year. The Mods make it the most customizable game I have ever played. The technical support is superior to that of other games I used to play.

I can see how you might be disappointed at the price change (I never knew it sold for less than $40), but in my opinion, it's worth every penny, and more.

So, lemme see if I have this straight:

OP is mad because the game isn't on sale anymore, at this very instant, and he feels it isn't worth the price.

So he creates an account to poodle to the active KSP community about it -- populated by people who own and love the game -- and gets bent that people don't trip all over themselves to agree with him.

And everyone is nice.

I love this community. Even TROLLS are welcomed with open arms.

By the way -- you can still get it for $23.99 on Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kerbal-space-program

That took about 5 nanoseconds and no stress on Google. The takeaway, a lesson I strive to teach my kids -- instead of whining about it, try to find a solution.

-Jn-

6 hours ago, Otis said:

Really, you spent 40 bucks on a game, then wasted all that time that you could have invested in learning a skill that contributes something to the world on said game, trying to justify it's worth.

I teach physics for a living. Many of the skills I learn in Kerbal ARE the skills I use to contribute to the world.

KSP is on the pricey side, there's no denying it. I do think it's worth the money, but then I bought it several years ago.

KSP averages 4p an hour, assuming a £20 cost and 500 hours of playing the game. That's great value for money. But then I've played it 500 hours. You might not, in which case you'll lost a non-trivial amount of money for only a few hours of fun.

I still recommend the game, but I encourage you to play the demo before buying the full game.

2 hours ago, Nich said:

I do have to agree with the OP 1.1 is not worth $40.  Foruntily you also get 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.2.1 and so on until the game is hopefully bug free.  Does anyone one know how far Squad plans on taking KSP?

To the stars! :P

8 hours ago, Corw said:

No, it means it is more expensive the more you play, cause of power bill :)

Almost this exact logic is why I stopped playing Ingress.

3 hours ago, regex said:

Why would you feel guilty?  That was the price that Squad was offering KSP for at the time.  I paid $17 USD and have no guilt whatsoever.

I feel worse that I bought it for $20 and it went on sale about 3 days later :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.