Your Best Acronyms!

Ultimate Steve

EPIKFAIL:  Extravagant Projects Involving Kerbals Following Absolutely Incorrect Logic.  What I call the World's First society in my games.

Most of my acronyms, however, are ship names.  Here are some from my 1.0.5 mission to Sarnus:

• TRASHCAN:  Tekto Reentry Aircraft Specally Honed to Carry Astronauts and NOMs.  The SSTO crew shuttle for the Tekto mission.
  • BATHMAT:  Base, Airborne, to House and Mine At Tekto.  An ISRU mobile base built on a USI Karibou chassis that was delivered to the surface with detachable glider wings.
  • CRACKHEAD:  Cryogenic Refrigerator About Carrying Kerbals Headed to Extremely Arduous Destinations.  The DeepFreeze-equipped mothership of the 2nd Sarnus Expedition with 10 cryopods.
  • COPROLITE:  Crew Orbit Position Relocator of Long Inhabitation between Tekto and Eeloo.  The crew shuttle running from the Eeloo station to Tekto and back.
  • TOEJAM:  Tankage Orbiting Eeloo Just to Administer Missions:  The Eeloo station, which was just a collection of tanks and docking ports.
  • STEAMINGPILE:  Self-contained Temporary Environment Allowing Mining In New Glory for Poor Idiots Landing on Eeloo.  The ISRU mobile base for Eeloo built on USI Karibou chassis.
  • FLAKEE:  Fuel Lifter and Kerbal Extractor for Eeloo.  The huge tanker needed to refuel CRACKHEAD at TOEJAM.
  • HOPELESS:  Hale and Orvok Planetoid Exploring Lander for Extremely Serious Science.  A lander to biome hop both Orvok and Hale.

Some ships from my 1.0.4 game:

• DUMBASS:  Duna Ultra-Modern Base and Space Station.   The main station at Duna.
  • DORK:  Duna Observation and Recon Kite:  A very nifty airplane for flying around on Duna
  • DUCTTAPE:  DUna Crew Transference To Analyze Psychotic Episodes.  The main crew transport to and from Duna, built with as little crew space as possible (merely a 3-seat pod)
  • DUMB:  DUna Mining Base.  The main ISRU base on Duna
  • LUDDITE:  Lander, Utility, Duna, Doing It Totally Extravagantly
  • DUFF:  DUna Fuel Filler:  A 2.5m rover tanker to move fuel between DUMB and LUDDITE

Ships from the ancient past:

• JERK:  Jool Excursion Ride for Kerbals.  A box girder with command seats, docking ports, and ion power (back when that was fairly easy) to move Kerbals around between the moons of Jool
  • LOSER:  Laythe Observation Seaplane and Expedient Rover:  A seaplane using the Firespitter pontoons with built-in rover wheels
  • FOOL:  Finding Ore On Laythe, a drone plane prospector
  • PERV:  Probe Exploration Rover for Vall.
  • VAPID:  VAll Probe Identifying Desirables.  A scanning probe
  • MADNESS:  Modular and Disposable new Extraplanetary Ship System.  A mothership/station thing for Duna
  • SHEER-MADNESS:  Somebody Has, Essentially, Eventually, to Return-MADNESS.  The crew return vessel of the MADNESS
  • D'OH:  Duna Observation Hybrid, my 1st successful Duna airplane, using a kethane-electric drive system

MANEUVER - Maneuver for A New Eccentric Uber-Velocity to-Eternity Ride - My awesome (half-accidental) maneuver to make an atmospheric rocket get gravitationally slingshotted out of Kerbin's SOI by the Mun. In the demo, which means it would be an eternal voyage because there is no solar system. While the Kerbonaut would EVA out near the Mun (attempting to EVA-land on it) and get into an orbit around Kerbin that's hitting Mun's orbit perfectly, with an apoapsis of 78 million metres and periapsis at around 1.2 million metres. Both the spacecraft and the Kerbal always stayed at more than 1500m/s after leaving Kerbin's atmosphere.

ORE - Orbital Reentry Extermination - The art of sending a spacecraft into space with just enough fuel to get into a quite high, very eccentric Kerbin orbit. But not a single bit further. Or lower.

OOPS - Orbital Observation Platform Satellite - A satellite designed to have a very low orbit around Kerbin.

SAS - Super Advanced Spaceship - Everything that has a parachute. And landing gears. And can actually use them.

SOUP - Spacecraft Of Unbelievable Propulsion - A relatively tiny manned spacecraft that's launched using a whole lot of boosters. It's actually more of a "Barely Flying Object Of Unbelievable Likeliness to Kill Its Crew" to be honest. These would sometimes send a FISH up into the orbit:

FISH - Freely Rotating Satellite Hub - A satellite with crew that doesn't use an SAS once in orbit and is set to spin really fast. For science purposes. Jeb's always laughing when he sits inside a FISH, so it can't be bad at all...

MAPS - Mun Accelerated Propulsion Satellite - An unmanned satellite using the gravity of the Mun to slingshot itself into a kerbolar orbit. There, it would then do science and make somewhat detailed maps of the system and its orbits. Just a theoretical thing, I'm not sure if this would ever work as intended (with my level of competence, it most likely will do anything but doing what it should do). Once I bought the full version I'll try this out though.

Edited by SolarGuy

I never really thought of acronymizing my ship names, but this thread inspired me. I noticed I already some easily acronymed ships, the MuST - Mun Surface Taxi - and the MiST - Minmus Surface Taxi.

Then I built the DOLT - Duna Orbiter Lander Tandem

I started using acronyms in my new save for my unmanned spacecrafts, such as:

ICECREAM - Investigation Craft for Exotic iCe REticules At Minmus (a *bit* forced, but hey, ICECREAM!)

MUSK - MUn Science Kit

DUST - Duna Unified STudies (It was supposed to be RUST, but "Red planet" was too forced for my taste)

I'll come up with more as i go further in my career mode.

Here's some of the fun ones I made up for the Kerb Kerman Show. Kept them in a resource doc for referencing, hehe.

UMBRLA "Umbrella" -- Upwardly Mobile Base-Return Launch Aeroframe

FGD "Fudge" -- "Fire Goes Down"

SPNR "Spinner" -- Surface Propulsion Negative Rotator

FLTR "Floater" -- Falling Lightly Test Rocket

REINDEARS  -- Really Expensive, Individualized Nighttime Delivery, Ejection, and Retrieval System

ELBS --  Extra-Light Building Squad

STICKS --  Secret Things in Clear Kerbin Space

CARS --  Cool Automobile Racing Stuff

FOOSHER --  First Official Octoannual Speedy Highwheel Exhibition Race

PICKUP --  Pretty Incredibly Complicated Kerbal Utility Pod

KESSLER - Kerbal Extended Satellite System: Light / Exta-Range.
Used mostly for satellite contracts. The thing has huge amount of delta v, so it can be launched to most orbits from a cheap suborbital rocket. Or reach other planets, if launched from LKO.

ERIKA - Eve Research ISRU Kerbal Aircraft

All my launch systems are named after the Tarot, which sometimes lends itself to acronyms. My most recent is HERMIT: the High Energy Rocket Module - Interstage Transfer stage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.