[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

Try a fresh manual install with no other mods installed

Thanks for your help. Sadly I get the same error.

Here is what I did:

- Uninstalled KSP

- Deleted KSP folder in Steam/steamapps/common just to be sure

- Installed again

- Downloaded the archive 1.0.82 and copied it into my game folder so i get GameData/SVE etc.

- Launched the game

- Same crash in 64bits.

Any ideas?

27 minutes ago, cameleon33 said:

Thanks for your help. Sadly I get the same error.

Here is what I did:

- Uninstalled KSP

- Deleted KSP folder in Steam/steamapps/common just to be sure

- Installed again

- Downloaded the archive 1.0.82 and copied it into my game folder so i get GameData/SVE etc.

- Launched the game

- Same crash in 64bits.

Any ideas?

Post your logs that should give me an idea

1 hour ago, cameleon33 said:

Actually I think I found the issue. I just remembered I had a command line forced in steam launcher (force d3d11)

I removed it and it now works. Sorry for bothering you. It was my fault.

Thanks for the help!

Yep that will  do it :)  glad you  figured it out! 

Just now, eddiew said:

Some Duna beauty shots that I suspect are down to SVE+SVT. Liking the darker terrain and how the mountains poke up through the haze :)

Those look great! are you using an older version of SVE? those clouds look like the older textures.. they are still great textures i just happened to notice. :) 

probably because i spend ALL my free time looking at them lol

10 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Those look great! are you using an older version of SVE? those clouds look like the older textures.. they are still great textures i just happened to notice. :) 

probably because i spend ALL my free time looking at them lol

Apparently I was on 1.0.8 and you're on 1.0.82 now ^^;  I'll update for next sesh and see what changes with the second landing :) 

37 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Apparently I was on 1.0.8 and you're on 1.0.82 now ^^;  I'll update for next sesh and see what changes with the second landing :) 

Oh no 1.8 is fine.  There wasnt any update really.  I fixed a small issue with the sunflare and added version files and changed the license.  Other than that it wasn't updated.  So you are still good. 

Edited by Galileo

13 minutes ago, Andem said:

@Galileo

About Tekto, beyond the looks, is the idea that the clouds are more of a ground-hugging fog? I didn't enter the clouds until over halfway down.

The clouds should start at roughly 9700km and be cloudy all the way down from there.  The reason they are at that level as opposed to 60k like the old version is because of scatterer.  If the clouds are too high,  Scatterer creates an overexposed ring around the planet.  Now,  there are ways for me to hide this but it takes a ton of tweaking which I didn't have time for when I made it the other night. If I decide to make a full fledged pack for opm, I'll definitely take a look at making the cloud hieght match the old versions.  Just note,  the higher the clouds the more layers and the more layers means worse performance. I have a feeling Tekto in its current state might be hard on some computers. But I'll experiment 

Edited by Galileo

On 7/7/2016 at 8:50 AM, Galileo said:

I LOVE SCREENSHOTS!

Since you insist :D here's a shot after launching from Laythe to go meet the orbiting mothership... I love the way Laythe looks!

dH5Fn3q.png

Edited by Gorby1
I spelled soemthing wrong

WRT the new city stuffs - the night sky portion I like, but I'm not as sure about the day-time cities. I get what you are trying for, but what I am not sure of is what happens when you get down to ground level... IE, do those textures fade out, are they constant on the surface, or what? Actually, in either case, it would be somewhat odd to have the textures without the actual geometry (which I understand is pretty much a no-go anyhow), and if it faded out you'd be wondering where the city went. Then again, that exists right now with the current version, so I guess it wouldn't make much difference anyhow. *shrug*

5 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

WRT the new city stuffs - the night sky portion I like, but I'm not as sure about the day-time cities. I get what you are trying for, but what I am not sure of is what happens when you get down to ground level... IE, do those textures fade out, are they constant on the surface, or what? Actually, in either case, it would be somewhat odd to have the textures without the actual geometry (which I understand is pretty much a no-go anyhow), and if it faded out you'd be wondering where the city went. Then again, that exists right now with the current version, so I guess it wouldn't make much difference anyhow. *shrug*

Cities will stay flat on the surface, it's just a texture. But one should never ever land on a city, this is not good :) See cities as areas with a "do not enter" sign :P

Or have you ever heard of NASA landing Apollo in New York or the Space Shuttle in Miami? :wink:

20 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

^^This is the reason that I always delete the "City Lights" folder from EVE and SVE.

On 8/24/2016 at 0:52 AM, Galileo said:

I have been meaning to update the city lights for ages now and just never got around to it. Whatta ya think?

Lovely!

The only thing that makes me scratch my head is that city lights/cities always seem so *near* when in orbit. I guess that's more a function of how Tiny Kerbin is, but being able to pick out large streets/city blocks always feels weird.

Edited by Beetlecat

On 8/24/2016 at 3:52 AM, Galileo said:

I have been meaning to update the city lights for ages now and just never got around to it. Whatta ya think?

I have always enjoyed the city lights at night in all my cloud mod installs. I've never had daylight city textures. Please leave it. Those who find it immersion breaking can delete it. 

6 hours ago, Tekener said:

Cities will stay flat on the surface, it's just a texture. But one should never ever land on a city, this is not good :) See cities as areas with a "do not enter" sign :P

Or have you ever heard of NASA landing Apollo in New York or the Space Shuttle in Miami? :wink:

I'm well aware of this - I was pointing out that there were only two possible cases: either the texture would remain visible on the surface when you touch down (which would look extremely odd), or they would fade out as you got closer to the surface (which would leave you wondering where the city went). In either case, there's a problem with immersion, such as it is. As I recall, KSPRC did this as well, and kept the textures all the way down to the surface, though it's texture was very faint to begin with and not nearly as defined as Gal's are, and would thus be much more noticeable in either case.

That being the case, I think Red Shirt may have the better idea of simply updating the Night Side city light textures, and not bothering with the day side ones at all. You still end up wondering where the cities went, but it's a bit easier to ignore it in that setup.

Of course, this is staying installed no matter what he does... it's too good to pass up, after all. :)

Anybody wanna help me out with this? I don't know enough about writing plugins to get this off the ground tbh and I don't have the time between school,  work,  other mods and my kids to learn at the pace I want. 

Mod concept

Edited by Galileo

28 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

I'm well aware of this - I was pointing out that there were only two possible cases: either the texture would remain visible on the surface when you touch down (which would look extremely odd), or they would fade out as you got closer to the surface (which would leave you wondering where the city went). In either case, there's a problem with immersion, such as it is. As I recall, KSPRC did this as well, and kept the textures all the way down to the surface, though it's texture was very faint to begin with and not nearly as defined as Gal's are, and would thus be much more noticeable in either case.

That being the case, I think Red Shirt may have the better idea of simply updating the Night Side city light textures, and not bothering with the day side ones at all. You still end up wondering where the cities went, but it's a bit easier to ignore it in that setup.

Of course, this is staying installed no matter what he does... it's too good to pass up, after all. :)

I plan on keeping them in because they can easily be deleted.  I can however set up an optional folder that allows for only cities on the dark side or,  none at all.  That would be easy. And everyone is happy :) I always though the day side was a little ugly.  But I'm trying to change that.  I thought  about possibly adding hieght maps for the cities on the actual planet hight map but that would be a a crazy long process and likely wouldn't look good. I could probably test that theory about just around ksc

11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I can however set up an optional folder that allows for only cities on the dark side or,  none at all... [snip] ...I thought  about possibly adding hieght maps for the cities on the actual planet hight map but that would be a a crazy long process and likely wouldn't look good.

The optional folder sounds great; I enjoy seeing the city lights on the dark side from space, but... not much else about them. I'm referring to the cities in general and not your specific implementation of them.

I won't pretend I know what a height map is but in layman's terms it sounds like you would add a city-shaped "hill" on the terrain at the point where the city textures appear on it. I think that would look better depending on how boxy you could make it, anything vaguely square on the edges would be good enough since the idea is to not land on them anyway. I'm thinking of how it might look from >500m away, or somewhere around there. Making the terrain on top of the cities "unsuitable" for landing vessels would also be a neat twist.

Some other ideas I had; I know there are mods that add more launch pads all over the map with some buildings nearby, could some small cities be built up that way? Sans launch pad of course. A dozen or more buildings like that at each city site would look very nice. There's also the structures like the "stonehenge" on Vall, I don't know if those are created the same way as those buildings but that seems like another way to make some cities. My KSP mod development experience is limited to simple Module Manager patches so feel free to let me know how unfeasible these ideas might be :wink:

40 minutes ago, Gorby1 said:

The optional folder sounds great; I enjoy seeing the city lights on the dark side from space, but... not much else about them. I'm referring to the cities in general and not your specific implementation of them.

I won't pretend I know what a height map is but in layman's terms it sounds like you would add a city-shaped "hill" on the terrain at the point where the city textures appear on it. I think that would look better depending on how boxy you could make it, anything vaguely square on the edges would be good enough since the idea is to not land on them anyway. I'm thinking of how it might look from >500m away, or somewhere around there. Making the terrain on top of the cities "unsuitable" for landing vessels would also be a neat twist.

Some other ideas I had; I know there are mods that add more launch pads all over the map with some buildings nearby, could some small cities be built up that way? Sans launch pad of course. A dozen or more buildings like that at each city site would look very nice. There's also the structures like the "stonehenge" on Vall, I don't know if those are created the same way as those buildings but that seems like another way to make some cities. My KSP mod development experience is limited to simple Module Manager patches so feel free to let me know how unfeasible these ideas might be :wink:

There is this. But the performance impact would be terrible if it were done kerbin wide. 

22 minutes ago, Galileo said:

There is this. But the performance impact would be terrible if it were done kerbin wide. 

That looks pretty impressive but waaaaay more detailed than I would ever want in KSP... if I want to simulate driving around a city I'll just play Grand Theft Auto and try not hit any pedestrians! But I suspected that globally adding buildings like that would be too much for many systems, so oh well. SVE just keeps getting better so thanks and keep up the good work!

14 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

I've never had daylight city textures.

What I meant was none of the previous mods I have used included daytime cities. I'm curious to try them. One thought - how does it work with ground scatter? Would we have cacti sticking out of the building roofs or do the city textures disappear before scatter comes into play? Crazy idea - What about a few buildings as scatter when up close?

2 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

What I meant was none of the previous mods I have used included daytime cities. I'm curious to try them. One thought - how does it work with ground scatter? Would we have cacti sticking out of the building roofs or do the city textures disappear before scatter comes into play? Crazy idea - What about a few buildings as scatter when up close?

Unfortunately you will have snow pine trees and cactus and giant bolders coming out of the top of buildings. The textures don't fade when you are on top of them either.  So,  it will look a little funny.  The purpose of the textures though,  is purely aesthetic but only flight or orbit. They have always looked funny at ground level

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.