Do YOU use mods??

KSP FAN5000

Do you use mods?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use mods I do :3

• Yes, Always
    • Yes, Sometimes
    • No, Never

I really like parts packs, they really give me more options and more wilder rockets. Colonization mods are great as well, except I still have to land them in one piece. 

The last time I have checked, I had 660 millibytes of mods, do not try it. It killed the game literary. I had to install it again.

Edited by Alpha 360
forgot to add a bit of it, a PS

17 minutes ago, Alpha 360 said:

I really like parts packs, they really give me more options and more wilder rockets. Colonization mods are great as well, except I still have to land them in one piece. 

The last time I have checked, I had 660 millibytes of mods, do not try it. It killed the game literary. I had to install it again.

That's the same thing that happened to me! I had installed to many mods and when I went into the VAB it said: RUN TIME ERROR, and ksp crashed. I had to rinse the install

Short answer : YES, always

My main reason to install mods has always been to get parts I feel are missing from the stock game. 

• 4-6 man crew capsule (I finally got a working "AresExploration" 6-man capsule after months of searching thanks to @Felbourn)
  • 2-Man cockpits/Capsules (At the moment I have the SxT Ke111 and the  B9's M27 cockpit). I also use the Kn-2 cabin in some builds (a 3 man cockpit)
  • I rescued the "Ion-Electric Hybrid Pack" from abandonware and turned it into my end-game, mothership engines.  Something aking to the "Interstellar mod" for efficiency, but using Xe.
  • I also rescued the KOSMOS Balka Solar Panels... Tho I don't really feel the stock game is lacking in solar panels, These make awesome Station/base panels.
  • An Electric propeller, and an LFO propeller for atmosphere exploration... and FireSpitter core to make them work/sound like props.
  • Nuclear Generator (Self-made with RL weight/efficiency per unit of Uranium... Having a physics teacher amongst one's friends is helpful for that :)), good for Jool and beyond and I'll do lots of that.
  • More landing gears, some LF tanks, some radial fuel tanks (some parts from MRS).
  • Procedural parts for parts count (tho it generates too much lag in itself and defeats the purpose) it's still good for spherical fuel tanks, which I absolutely love.
  • Rescued from abandonware "Kommit Nucleonics" (mostly for the 240 kn nuke engine, but I fixed all of them). Shaving 3 parts out of 4 for every ONE of the FTmN280 as opposed to stock nukes is too good to ignore.

Then there are the Usual mods :  AllYAll, KER, KAS and KAC for Core mechanics improvement. EvE and Scatterer for immersion improvement. 

And obviously OPM mod to complete the solar system and in my case, adding WEEKS of more playtime ( I usually go to each biomes with a land/air vehicle, on every moon/planets, EvE alone took me roughly ... 20(?) hours, but next time I'm bringing a plane there, which is 4x as fast).  Then there's engineering the mothership that will make that grand tour grabbing kerbals/science from everywhere, but not send all the rovers (they will be shipped to the planets/moons in advance from another ship).

I also use not critical parts mod such has different looking radiators / solar panels / wings and wheels, and the legacy parts from @NecroBones.

Mostly parts with the same as most of you guys for the usual mods.  I made a thread abuot some stuff that should be stock last year, and ppl still post in it, which cover much of what I think about the parts.
I really think OPM should be stock as well.  Such amazing work.

There are a few Mods which I think are essential to the game. I still remember calculating the amount of fuel tanks needed to propel my vessel to the Mun in the demo version being a Physicist helps there a bit...but since I got the full version I went from gnuplot to MechJeb...

Usually playing with

MechJeb

Docking Alignment Indicator 

KAS/KIS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

K&K Planetary Bases

sometimes using Scatterer and EVE to make thing more beautiful but that cuts on performance so usually going without...

Edited by something

20 hours ago, regex said:

The only time I play stock/vanilla is after a new version comes out, just so I can educate myself on any new mechanics and see how the game has come along. Otherwise I'm using mods, almost always a full Realism Overhaul install; stock/vanilla is way too simple for my tastes.

This is exactly how I play KSP.

I always have a stock build, and test new versions in stock. I have a testing version where I tend to test single mods, or mod suites in otherwise stock setups to provide feedback to the modders (currently it's SSTU). When I actually play, it's an upscale like 6.4X or RSS with a few must have mods (KER, KJR, FAR, KAC, SSTU, etc), plus sometimes stuff like SVE.

As soon as 1.2 is stable, I'm gonna go RSS/RO again.

Stock in actual play is sort of boring at this point since you can get virtually anything to orbit with no thought.

Edited by tater

Always. Before I even started I watched a million lets plays on KSP.  I started with mods and now I can't go back. Time control, precise maneuver, and KER, and nav ball adjuster I can't even enjoy the game without. 

The visual mods are amazing. Even if you just want to do stock. You should do visual mods. Mods make this game so much better IMO

(Just got the IRC mod liking it. )

14 hours ago, Maltman said:

The visual mods are amazing. Even if you just want to do stock. You should do visual mods. Mods make this game so much better IMO

I roll the other way totally, not a single visual mod.

I'm an engineer, I don't bother about looks, only about function :)

(Well, Indicator Lights might count as a visual mod, but I use it only to see docking ports in the dark.)

4 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I roll the other way totally, not a single visual mod.

I'm an engineer, I don't bother about looks, only about function :)

(Well, Indicator Lights might count as a visual mod, but I use it only to see docking ports in the dark.)

Yeah I used to be the same for awhile.

I think that Realism Overhaul was the mod that got me into visual mods because I had to have that 8k texture.

Also I have a pretty nice videocard and I've been wasting it on ASCII roguelikes I figure I should use it a little bit blow the cob webs out.

I probably have the most modded KSP installation in this forum.

Everything that I can find to add new parts and increase the difficulty and realism of the game, including some of my own mods, are installed.

When KSP is running, it takes close to 20gb of ram. 

On 9/2/2016 at 8:51 PM, String Witch said:

Yep. I have 127 folders in Game Data besides Squad, and MM loads 20k patches.

Holy Toledo! I thought I had a lot! :sticktongue:

Do you suffer performance issues? Would you mind post a screen cap of your GameData directory with all the mod sub-directories visible? I'd be interested to see what you are using. Here is mine. I count 76 folders now.

o0c29.gif

Initially I had about 100 and found performance was worsening progressively. I saw performance improve a lot after pruning, but still feel it is less than optimum. Main issues now are: 1. Game takes several minutes to Quit; 2. Long sessions of building a large craft in VAB lead to very slow user-input responsiveness and thus require a reboot of the game from desktop. 3. Fairly slow transitions between session modes (Space Center to VAB; VAB to Tracking; Tracking to flight mode, etc.). 4. After a couple hours, I generally get a graphical glitch where transitioning from space center to R&D-> the R&D pane flickers into existence but then Space Center persists, even though R&D is in fact open (moving mouse can cause R&D pane to flicker in and out of view). Previously with ~100 mods, game would take 95% of 8GB RAM right at game start, and I'm not sure how much VRAM it was actually using. Allocating more to VRAM in my Windows control panels seemed to help a bit. Now with the reduced number, I think it starts out at ~5 GB used, and may get worse the longer the application is running, not sure.

There presumably is an effect for more mods, even when each one is properly designed to minimize RAM use and is relatively bug fee. But I think that one or more of the mods I'm using might be particular sources of reduced performance. I have my suspicions which ones (just based on how the symptoms of reduced performance seem to follow on certain types of in-game actions), but have not made much effort to troubleshoot which ones. I'd be curious to hear if anyone spots anything in my list they think is problematic.

When building a craft, I pick one of four approaches.

- Pure Stock. Stuff everyone can use, and everyone can build. Pretty straightforward.
- Editor Extensions Stock. A craft anyone can download from Kerbalx and use, perform some tweaks etc. It's considered stock for game mechanics purposes, but the structure is not achievable through stock editor - you need Editor Extensions to e.g. surface-attach engines.
- Easily strippable modded. A stock craft with some mod parts added, that can be easily removed to make it pure stock, without significant loss of functionality. Usually KAS ports and a winch, KIS box, etc. Sometimes a tweakscaled part that has a similar stock replacement, but was chosen for aesthetics. For example, tweakscaling the largest battery a dimension down, to get a battery half as thick as stock in this size (also, capacity reduced.).
- blatant modding. Heavy abuse of Tweakscale, mod parts used copiously, Also, some abuse of clipping, and at times very heavy abuse of the Offset tool.

I tend to avoid a lot of parts mods, just so I can be more sure of the balance and the feel of the stock game. I do use a lot of quality of life mods and some visual mods.

In the future, once I have my entire stock tech tree finished, I'll be looking into extra planets and such.

I really love to play as stock as possible these days, because I like the fun and challenge of building stuff with the part I have, instead of using replicated part's for something.

Feels like i'm building a snap kit instead of a proper model kit. It looks and feels like the real thing, but i's just not as much fun and doesn't fill you with the same "I built that" feeling of accomplishment.

But yea, there are a couple of mods I use ALL the time and can't live without:

1. KAX. I cannot live without prop engines. Mainly because I am more of a fan of WW2 era aircraft's and the mighty prop powered aircraft's of the post war and early jet era (Constellation, DC-6, C-74 and so on).

2. Nebula decals. I needs my tails logo. Actually, it's because I think that half of an aircrafts looks are in its livery. Just roundels and aircraft numbers can make any aircraft way better looking.

So yea, I use mods all the time.

Oh dear, I almost forgot to mention Editor extension. No offset limits in particular.

Edited by kapteenipirk
almost forgot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.