[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

12 hours ago, adsffm said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, if so, I apologize.

I would like to know if it's possible to disable volumetric clouds and only leave the 2D clouds in. I want to see those beautiful clouds and night side city lights, as well as the clouds on duna so I actually feel like landing on a mars-like planet, but I am getting extreme performance impact when using EVE with scatterer.

Also, if anyone could suggest the most optimal settings for both scatterer and EVE to get maximum performance but at the same time to actually get the feel that there's an atmosphere on kerbin, that would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, just remove the corresponding "layerVolume" section from the config. Note that there is already a config for high performance (see first post in this thread).

Edited by Waz

Before I used SVE, but then I saw this new animated cloud thing and just put in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, Scatterer, and BoulderCo to give it a try. Not at all like what I saw in that video, so I'm probably doing something wrong, can somebody tell me what it is?

http://imgur.com/a/B944b

Edited by Not Sure

8 minutes ago, Not Sure said:

Before I used SVE, but then I saw this new animated cloud thing and just put in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, Scatterer, and BoulderCo to give it a try. Not at all like what I saw in that video, so I'm probably doing something wrong, can somebody tell me what it is?

http://imgur.com/a/B944b

That's not a new feature, and that's just how it looks. You didn't do anything wrong. That heat/evaporation effect you are looking for is only really noticeable in a low orbit. 

You can make the effect stronger by playing with the noise value, but then it will start to look really funny

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

That's not a new feature, and that's just how it looks. You didn't do anything wrong. That heat/evaporation effect you are looking for is only really noticeable in a low orbit. 

ah, well then ill just go back to SVE then, but can the animated clouds be in SVE?

Just now, Not Sure said:

ah, well then ill just go back to SVE then, but can the animated clouds be in SVE?

Yep. Anything possible with EVE is possible with SVE. I personally hate the effect and I'll never implement it in SVE but I can add a Make a post explaining how to do it in the SVE thread tonight

Hey @Waz, im continuing work on my own EVE based mod(SciFi Visual Enhancements), and im wondering if you could help me implement two features that would really make this mod so much better.  First of all there is already a method to render the 2D cloud layers to glow on the night side of the planet, but it would be very useful if there was a way to allow the "fullbright" feature using the MinLight parameter to be extended to the 3D volumetric clouds.  I have been trying to make volcanoes on moho, and sofar while i can make the proper effect during the day, it looks like crap at night.

gHkhR36.png

Oq4DEuk.png

This is an extreme example of what i am talking about.  Setting the minlight param to 1 results in a shadowless cloud layer (that gives the desired "glow" effect, but there is no way to make the 3d volumetric clouds actually glow like the cloud layer itself can be made to.  Ive looked into the source code and i honestly cant make out how the heck to add this functionality to the 3d clouds, and i dont believe it would be too difficult to accomplish either, so if you could guide me in the right direction (no programmer but i know enough about coding to alter other people's source code and even write a few of my own functions/routines to add features) id really appreciate it (volcanoes and or lava effects that actually glow would be insanely cool looking!).

The other feature which should also be quite simple that i would like to implement is rain effects.  The basic idea is to have a rain texture that does not have any rotation (always faces up at the same angle) which moves downwards and is present below the cloud layer.  It would be fine if this is implemented as another cloud layer beside the original cloud layer but has no 2D texture visible and only shows the particle effects with the falling textures.

Any help inplementing these 2 features is appreciated, i really want falling rain on laythe and volcanoes/lava on moho, but thusfar these two things cant really be done properly (rain can sorta be simulated but it doesnt move downwards which is a bit immersion breaking, and the glow would really open up the door for volvcanoes, as well as things like glowy fog for us sci-fi inspired modders).

Edited by panzer1b

1 hour ago, panzer1b said:

Hey @Waz, im continuing work on my own EVE based mod(SciFi Visual Enhancements), and im wondering if you could help me implement two features that would really make this mod so much better.  First of all there is already a method to render the 2D cloud layers to glow on the night side of the planet, but it would be very useful if there was a way to allow the "fullbright" feature using the MinLight parameter to be extended to the 3D volumetric clouds.  I have been trying to make volcanoes on moho, and sofar while i can make the proper effect during the day, it looks like crap at night.

First check if Scatterer doesn't already implement this - @blackrack has done some neat stuff improving the coloring of clouds.

If not, I suspect you'll need to modify the CloudVolumeParticleShader. I currently does this:

color.rgb *= ScatterColorLight(IN.lightDirT, IN.viewDirT, normT, tex, _MinScatter, _Opacity, 1).rgb;

I suspect instead you will need to Lerp between the color.rgb and the modified version, similar to how SphereCloud.shader does it:

OUT.color = lerp(scolor, color, _MinLight);

I'm certainly no expert it EVE or shader programming, and the EVE shaders are quite fancy.

1 hour ago, panzer1b said:

The other feature which should also be quite simple that i would like to implement is rain effects.  The basic idea is to have a rain texture that does not have any rotation (always faces up at the same angle) which moves downwards and is present below the cloud layer.  It would be fine if this is implemented as another cloud layer beside the original cloud layer but has no 2D texture visible and only shows the particle effects with the falling textures.

The cloud particle system is rather complex - I don't really understand *why* it's so complex. If I did, I'd try to simplify it because it's currently a very expensive effect, for why it produces.

Sorry I can't be more help.

11 hours ago, B3AV3R_MAPL3 said:

It doesn't work,I can't see the clouds and the city light,also,in the EVE manager,it says that I don't have any config,can someone help me?

How did you install it, CKAN, or manually trying to copy files around?

8 hours ago, Waz said:

First check if Scatterer doesn't already implement this - @blackrack has done some neat stuff improving the coloring of clouds.

If not, I suspect you'll need to modify the CloudVolumeParticleShader. I currently does this:

color.rgb *= ScatterColorLight(IN.lightDirT, IN.viewDirT, normT, tex, _MinScatter, _Opacity, 1).rgb;

I suspect instead you will need to Lerp between the color.rgb and the modified version, similar to how SphereCloud.shader does it:

OUT.color = lerp(scolor, color, _MinLight);

I'm certainly no expert it EVE or shader programming, and the EVE shaders are quite fancy.

The cloud particle system is rather complex - I don't really understand *why* it's so complex. If I did, I'd try to simplify it because it's currently a very expensive effect, for why it produces.

Sorry I can't be more help.

How did you install it, CKAN, or manually trying to copy files around?

I installed it manually.

13 hours ago, Waz said:

Wish i could use scatterer, but the whole idea of my mod was to implement scatterer without using scatterer to give a huge performance boost to the user.  Performance with scatterer alone is ok, but combining EVE and scatterer with 2000+ parts within 2.5km just kills the game for all but supercomputers...

Anyways, ill take a look at altering the shaders to implement my features, the lack of "glowing" particles really drives me up the wall right now (itd look much better even on non glowy clouds with a tiny bit of lighting just like i have the cloud layers set to on the dark side of the planet).  Thanks for the help, at least i know where to look to edit the shaders and such...

• 3 weeks later...

I just reached EVE for the first time using this mod, and something startling happened: though I can see the normal Eve's surface features in the orbital view (the explodium sea, the terrain features etc.), in the craft view Eve appears pretty much like real-life venus: a purple, blurred, homogenous thing with no discernible features.

Since I wasn't able to land there yet (in this savegame, that is, with the visual enhancements installed), I am trully in doubt whether this is a bug of some sort, of a very clever way to replicate Venus' atmosphere, which is 100% cloudy and does not allow you to see the surface from above. 

So tell me: is this a bug or if I land there, the usual familiar surface of Eve is there just waiting for me to fly under the clouds?

On 4/1/2017 at 11:07 AM, Daniel Prates said:

I just reached EVE for the first time using this mod, and something startling happened: though I can see the normal Eve's surface features in the orbital view (the explodium sea, the terrain features etc.), in the craft view Eve appears pretty much like real-life venus: a purple, blurred, homogenous thing with no discernible features.

What??? How did you manage this? I've wanted this feature in EVE for years. Currently I just uninstall EVE when landing on Eve, then reinstall it after I've landed. Is there a way to disable cloud visibility in map view only??

5 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

What??? How did you manage this? I've wanted this feature in EVE for years. Currently I just uninstall EVE when landing on Eve, then reinstall it after I've landed. Is there a way to disable cloud visibility in map view only??

you can open the GUI with alt+0 and turn the Alpha channel (opacity) down to 0 then turn it back up once you land. absolutely no reason to uninstall and then reinstall...

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

you can open the GUI with alt+0 and turn the Alpha channel (opacity) down to 0 then turn it back up once you land. absolutely no reason to uninstall and then reinstall...

I apparently did nothing. Just installed the mod and it was that way: cloud cover in craft view, no cloud cover in orbit view.

I understand now its an intentional feature. Sorry @Galileo as I was at first using low res, so that wasnt clear and though it was a bug of sorts. With better res it actually looks pretty good.

Now that I think of it, youre a genious to have mimicked so well what actually goes on with venus. Good going!

Any way that I don't know of to fix:

The AssetBundle 'file://F:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\eveshaders-windows.ksp' can't be loaded because another AssetBundle with the same files is already loaded.

(Filename:  Line: 425)

AssetLoader: Bundle is null

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[MessageSystem] OnAppInitialized

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[MessageSystem] Reposition 0.1019503 26787

The AssetBundle 'file://F:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\eveshaders-windows.ksp' can't be loaded because another AssetBundle with the same files is already loaded.

[EVE] Loading assets - 13 defs of 13 objects

This happens when the scene switches from the KSP loading screen to the main menu scene. Is it something I should be worrying about?

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Any way that I don't know of to fix:

[MessageSystem] OnAppInitialized

[MessageSystem] Reposition 0.1019503 26787

[EVE] Loading assets - 13 defs of 13 objects

This happens when the scene switches from the KSP loading screen to the main menu scene. Is it something I should be worrying about?

It's absolutely harmless. Don't worry about it. 

14 hours ago, Galileo said:

Holy excrements you have changed my life. Thank you!!

19 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

You could instead use the in-game and more realistic process of scanning the planet with the new radar stuff in 1.2.2. Venera and Mariner didn't get to "turn off the cloud layer" :-)

38 minutes ago, steve_v said:

These ugly blocks of "shadow" on my landing gear, are they yours or scatterer?
screenshot822.png

They are due to cloud shadows in EVE. Delete all shadow material nodes from the cfgs to remove the artifacts. But you won't get the nice cloud shadows anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

But you won't get the nice cloud shadows anymore. 

Far preferable to ugly artifacts IMO.
A more comprehensive search of this (and the SVE) thread reveals that this has been around for quite some time... Any ETA on fixing it properly? Failing that, a "known issues" entry with a link to a "no cloud shadows" config would be nice. I found the dropbox link, but it did take some finding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.